Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 03-26-2016, 06:35 PM
evil daystar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38996
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
If someone was offering to teach it, what game system(s) would you want to learn?

Yeah, you read that right. It's been mentioned in a hypothetical sense, a "what if" scenario...

RPG Crossing has a great New Player Solo Game designed to teach new site members to play an RPG on a forum like this one. The problem being, once you've hit 100 posts, you no longer qualify as a "new site member". This is only fair, as we're trying to cater to the very new, not the already-addicted PBPer like some of us. *ahem*

So, what if someone suggested teaching new gaming systems to people who don't need a forum-oriented tutorial, just some help with new game mechanics? Something akin to the NPSG in that it'd be one-on-one or maybe small-group help with character creation and a short game. Enough to walk you through the basics, but leave long adventures to the Games Seeking forum abundance.

If such a suggestion were made, what games would you want to learn? (I'll try to start a list in this opening post once people mention them.)

Requests:
- 13th Age
- 7th Sea
- AD&D/OSRIC, AD&D 2e
- Agone
- Alternity
- Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, Fallen Empires, Urban Shadows
- Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea
- Boot Hill
- Burning Wheel, Mouse Guard
- Call of Cthulhu
- CthulhuTech
- Cyberpunk 2020
- Cypher System, The Strange, Numenera
- Dungeon Crawl Classic RPG
- Eclipse Phase
- Fate Accelerated Edition
- Fox Two, Reheat! Jet Age dogfighting rules
- GUMSHOE System, maybe Trail of Cthulhu or Esoterrorists
- GURPS
- Hackmasters
- Legend of the 5 Rings
- Paranoia
- Savage Worlds
- Scramble! WWII dogfighting rules
- Shadowrun
- Stars Without Numbers/Silent Legions/Other Dust
- Swords & Wizardry
- Top Secret/Top Secret S.I.
- Traveler
- World of Darkness, especially Mage the Ascension

Last edited by Aethera; 09-20-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 670
Jot Jot Jot Jot Jot Jot
I think a system which uses Percentile die would be good - I have a pretty sketchy background in Call of Cthulhu, but am not au fait with the huge range of editions which people play. The issue is that that particular system doesn't really lend itself to uplifting, empowering one shots
Old 03-26-2016, 07:58 PM
evil daystar

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Well, no, nothing based on Lovecraftian lore is going to be uplifting. But it might get you used to the game just fine. There are other d% systems, but I admit I'm loosely versed (if at all) in any of them, and the one I do know (Eclipse Phase) is ridiculously front-heavy with the amount of work put into character creation, making it something of a hurdle. I'm not sure how many DMs we have who know the d% systems, either... but it's worth noting.

Thanks for your input! I'll start a list.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:00 PM
with it, sometimes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5141
Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn
Cypher system, The Strange or Numenera
GUMSHOE system, maybe Trail of Cthulhu or Esoterrorists
Old 03-26-2016, 09:09 PM
evil daystar

Tools
User Statistics
Cypher system is probably in. Never heard of the other, but I'll add them both to the list!
Old 03-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Munrab
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27397
RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
There are other d% systems
Yeah, as basic mechanics go, saying "d%" doesn't say very much. But you listed it with Call of Cthulhu, so I think everyone will know what you mean. RPGS with a "d%" mechanic typically come in three flavors: roll under (like BRP, CoC, etc.), roll over (like Anima), and roll from/on a table (like Marvel FASERIP and HarnMaster).

Quote:
Cypher system is probably in. Never heard of the other, but I'll add them both to the list!
If anyone wants to read up . . .

The parent system (GumShoe): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUMSHOE_System
Trail of Cthulhu (Call of Cthulhu in the GumShoe system): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Cthulhu
Esoterrorists (in GumShoe): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Esoterrorists
Old 03-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4474
roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jot View Post
I think a system which uses Percentile die would be good - I have a pretty sketchy background in Call of Cthulhu, but am not au fait with the huge range of editions which people play. The issue is that that particular system doesn't really lend itself to uplifting, empowering one shots
The two d% systems I can think of are BRP for Runequest or Call of Cthulhu and Eclipse Phase.

GUMSHOE is an investigation based game that is the system for Ashen Stars, EsoTerrorists, Night's Dark Agents and others that slip my mind right now. The idea is that players spend points of the skill to gain investigative information. The problem that I've encountered is that players never know which skill to use when and almost always run out of points before they get the picture of what is going on, or they hoard points to try and spend them in the best place possible and thus miss important information early on.

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows.

Last edited by roninkelt; 03-26-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:24 PM
with it, sometimes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5141
Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn
I have a lot of GUMSHOE material, but I've never played in a game. It seems like it'd work well in the PbP format. I can see how the point system to uncover story points might be troublesome.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Munrab
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27397
RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninkelt View Post
The idea is that players spend points of the skill to gain investigative information.
Just having the investigative skill makes you an expert in it and is enough to get you the core clue in any scene without spending, though you can typically spend to get extra cool stuff and information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninkelt View Post
The problem that I've encountered is that players never know which skill to use when and almost always run out of points before they get the picture of what is going on, or they hoard points to try and spend them in the best place possible and thus miss important information early on.
That's the great thing about GUMSHOE . . . if you have the investigative skill and are looking in the right place, you never miss important information. You always get the core clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayn View Post
I can see how the point system to uncover story points might be troublesome.
It's not, mostly because that's not how it works.

Here's a quick summary of how GUMSHOE games work: http://www.pelgranepress.com/site/wp...rs-and-GMs.pdf

Last edited by RedRab; 03-26-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:36 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4474
roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt
If that is the case, Red, then the games I've played in have been run wrong. I'd be willing to give it another shot. I playtested a couple of the Ashen Stars scenarios a few years ago and didn't really care for it, but apparently we were doing it wrong.

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:09 PM
Half-Orc Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5276
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
Mage the Ascension (the only CWoD setting I never got to delve into), and Cyberpunk 2020
Old 03-27-2016, 01:41 AM
what is this I don't even

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15723
lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac
Any game system that can semi-accurately portray a hockey game. That is to say, to play as a player within a team of players, against another team of players, with a GM/DM who essentially acts as referee/linesmen/league office. Stats and abilities for forwards vs. defense vs. goaltenders. Fatigue factors (affecting stamina), injury factors (affecting ability to remain in the game), accuracy factors (affecting how well one passes or shoots on targets).

That sort of thing.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:57 AM
evil daystar

Tools
User Statistics
Um, lymphomaniac, I've never heard of such a thing. If you can find something, by all means let me know. I don't think that's a roleplaying game, I think that's a sports video game.

This is still theoretical. Unless I can find DMs to match requested systems and build one-shot adventures, it's going to stay theory. But discussion is the best way to get at what I need to be thinking about.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Visual, Fight's On!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15884
idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy
Systems I would be interested in playing:

-Eclipse Phase
-Dungeon Crawl Classic RPG
-Traveller
-Legend of the 5 Rings
-CthulhuTech
-Paranoia

Games I would be potentially interested in running 1 shots for:
-AD&D/OSRIC
-Alternity
-Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea
-Fate Accelerated Edition
-Stars Without Numbers/Silent Legions/Other Dust
-Scramble! WWII dogfighting rules
-Fox Two, Reheat! Jet Age dogfighting rules

Possibly others as well, this project is very interesting!
Old 03-27-2016, 11:46 AM
what is this I don't even

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15723
lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac
Quote:
Um, lymphomaniac, I've never heard of such a thing.
I know. That's probably because such a system doesn't currently exist. However, if one did...