Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Explorers of Visarala
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Sep 19th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4005
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Willholm Plainfield
Mapmaker

(sheet)
HP: 9/11AC:14HD:1d10

Will used every ounce of strength he had to send his axe whizzing through the twig beast next to Grey lady, sending sticks flying into the air and every other direction. He steadies his axe to his right and twirls his head around to see if there is any other movement. The bushes that attacked are dealt with but from his experience in the woods Will knows there could be others waiting to ambush. Seeing no immediate threats he will take his longbow and place it onto his shoulder. He secures the handaxe he used to kill the last of the creatures to his belt and grabs his staff from underneath his pack. "You never know how many of these blasted things there are..." He wipes the sweat from his brow and proceeds towards the area that the bloodied bushes came from. Using his staff to sweep in front of him and basically hit every bush he sees Will will try and find Szass. He hears “Where is Szass?” he asks the others. ”She went in that direction and the creatures apparently came from there. We should go check on her, I think” and responds "On it! She may be over this way!"

OOC
Reaction:
Free Action:
Movement:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7449
Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia
Wilholm, cleverly having adopted a cautious approach in case of more blights, heads through the brush in the general direction Szass went. He soon is able to trace a blood trail backwards.

Unfortunately, the trail ends at the bough of an old, withered tree. Strange markings have been etched into the white bark. Wilholm notes that the wood of this tree looks very like the creatures that just attacked them. He also spots a familiar wrapped package. Opening it up, it contains a set of cooking utensils he recognizes as bellowing to their missing Gnoll companion.

From here, however, Wilholm is at a loss. The trail simply stops - as if Szass was swallowed up by the ground itself or the strangely marked tree. He can find no holes in either to indicate how Szass might have vanished...
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2540
nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888
As soon as the final blight is down, Malea immediately turns her blades on the hobgoblin. She's clearly not convinced by his tale despite his politeness. She is aghast that Tammin would lower his weapons so readily; she certainly won't, even if the creature towers over her, has arms practically as big around as her whole waist, and carries a sword nearly as long as she is.

She narrows her golden eyes and addresses the newcomer, trying hard to mask the surprise and fear in her voice. "I've heard plenty about your kind, and you're no friend of ours. Why would you aid us, and why do you seek Gateway? More importantly, why should we not cut you down where you stand?"
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4159
Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk
Anrek
right-aligned image
Anrek nodded to the Tabaxi that offered to point him in the right direction. Since leaving his home the road had been a long one, and he was eager to sell his services. The Tabaxi also showed concern for one named Szass, strange name, sounded Gnollish, kind of smelled like a gnoll around here too, but when the young woman pointed her weapons at him he gave his head a shake.

There she was, trying to hold her hand still as she pointed a couple of short swords at him. What a sight he must have been to her. A giant of creature, adorned in all the armor, weapons and shields for war. Long hair, dreadlocked by the blood of his enemies. She claimed to know something of his people, which did not surprise him, they were very prolific for one thing, conquest. Her brash reaction, especially after he had gone out of his way to be cordial and even helpful was not unexpected. He knew how impulsive, and undisciplined other races could be. But he respected her bravery, and he would never underestimate anyone with weapons in their hands. He looked at her, the hatred for his kind was palpable. He would need to say something, before she did something they would all regret.

Hobgoblins were folk of few words, but today he would need more, so in his low gravely voice he began, "I am sure you all have heard about my kind, as we are very active in Visarala. But you need not worry about me, as you can see I am alone. The hobgoblin you worry about is never alone, always in a unit. Though my business in Gateway is not your concern, I will share it, if it will spare you, or your friends, making a rash decision."

He takes a slow breath, "I have left my home, my way of life, so I have chosen to go where I can use my skill. I plan to be a sell sword. I have heard that in Gateway there companies, regiments, and adventurers always looking for a strong sword and shield, regardless of the race that wields them, and I have both."

Anrek slaps his shield. "So unless you need a soldier, I will be on my way." He bows his head to the angry woman and gets ready to set his course.

Actions

Anrek Grekel

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 02:09 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4355
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Grey Lady
left-aligned image

The Hobgoblin hadn't caught her off-guard, but she had been a little busy at the moment. Leaving her blade unsheathed, she'd drifted within a few feet of the others, letting the light play off her sword and its coating of woody dust from the twig blight. She knew a warrior when she saw one. The others were skilled, certainly, but among them, only she knew the techniques of combat, the ability to look at a person and think more quickly of how to kill them than how to greet them. They lacked a certain edge, the brutality of being able to kill not just with blade and bow, but with club and paving stone and bare fist, if need be. This was a man bred and built for war.

He was a weapon, an asset to be sure of, but a sword to secured when in time of peace. He had the edge. He was war made man and cast into a world that no longer need him for that purpose. It wasn't his race that bothered him, as it seemed to bother Malea, for what man or woman had been given their pick of birthright? No, it was the edge that kept her on guard. Hers was to protect, and defend if required. Let the others decide how to deal with him.

The others put their weapons away. Grey did not.

OOC, Actions, & Rolls

PvP isn't my thing, but... it would be an interesting fight, to say the least.

Movement:
Object Int:
Action:
Bonus Action:

Last edited by ParzivalFair; Sep 20th, 2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Willholm Plainfield
Mapmaker

(sheet)

Willholm grabs the utensils and covers them with the cloth like they are finely detailed dishware. He gently carries them back over to the attack zone to explain what he happened upon. As he turns he sees Tammin looking his way and he shrugs his shoulders. "Vanished without a trace. Only her utsensils were left. No armor, no weapons. There was a tree, much like the ones we fought, but no sign of Szass. I think she may have turned into one of the darned things... the blights I mean. Have you ever heard of such a thing happening?" It was obvious that Will was hurt by the disappearance of his friend, the one who had befriended him on the ship ride over to Visarala. Let's go tell the others and see if they know what may have happened.

Will continued towards the attack zone and happened upon Malea responding to an unseen creature, "I've heard plenty about your kind, and you're no friend of ours. Why would you aid us, and why do you seek Gateway? More importantly, why should we not cut you down where you stand?" The creatures response seemed honest and direct, "I am sure you all have heard about my kind, as we are very active in Visarala. But you need not worry about me, as you can see I am alone. The hobgoblin you worry about is never alone, always in a unit. Though my business in Gateway is not your concern, I will share it, if it will spare you, or your friends, making a rash decision. I have left my home, my way of life, so I have chosen to go where I can use my skill. I plan to be a sell sword. I have heard that in Gateway there companies, regiments, and adventurers always looking for a strong sword and shield, regardless of the race that wields them, and I have both. So unless you need a soldier, I will be on my way." Halfway through the response from the stranger, Will walked close enough to see a tall, seemingly young, hobgoblin. Something in the words he spoke made Will think of Dulug, the love of his life. Will came to Visarala to possibly find her once again and he thought about adventurers new to Visarala who may wish her ill will.

Will responded by shouting, "Ogaagukaan draaraagaan a makhec keklaan druuc dar daan agaan draarekaal duun druun! Del'daan daan khraal huukhaalec, an daan lhon kuun a draar dhec, muul druun daan muul o dech khruur dalaan arthakarlaan or an ar dher okhuugokekhec? Dar shac or oklaagec shac o huugerthaan duun or or don?"

OOC
Reaction:
Free Action:
Movement:
Action:
Bonus Action:

Last edited by Trmmilwwi; Sep 20th, 2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 386
TrippedUp TrippedUp TrippedUp TrippedUp
Omen reloads her crossbow in the time it takes the rest of her group to dispatch the bushes around her. Despite that danger being gone, she swings her attention - and weapon - towards the new arrival. She holds him in her sights while he is confronted, ready to let loose another bolt as soon as soon as things go south. Slowly, she approaches, listening in on the conversation.

As they talk, Omen slowly lowers her weapon. Quickly and quietly, she stores the bolt back in it's case, and hooks the crossbow back to it's holster on her thigh. She approaches the hobgoblin, known now as Anrek, with a strong look in her eye. She stops a few feet away from him, staring deep into his eyes. After only a second, she nods before turning to Tammin. The holy symbol around her neck casts a dull, gray light that illuminates the underside of her face. Omen takes one of his leather-clad hands in her own. She reaches up, holding his face in her free hand. Mumbling quietly in a slew of sounds and nonsense words as she strokes Tammin's face, he feels a calming sensation, almost like the carefree peace of flying as his wounds grow warm, replacing the pain with a comfort not unlike waking up well rested. Releasing him from her grip, her gentle and caring posture is once again tense and ready for motion. She turns to Anrek, already having made up her mind. She knows not of these "hobgoblins" that Anrek speaks of. She only knows the quality of one's character, and this one, she decides, is one that she can trust. She points to herself, and a gnollish voice says simply, "Omen."

Brief Overview

Old Sep 21st, 2018, 11:21 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Anrek
right-aligned image
Anrek is surprised by the vastly different reactions to him, all by different race. It is clear to him that this is a group that is sorely in need of a leader, someone to speak for all of them and the rest get in line. They have different messages for him. The kenku seems the most friendly, actually introduced herself to him, he responds with a simple, and short response, bowing slightly he pats his chest and says, "Anrek."

While keeping an eye, and not turning his back to the strange looking metallic creature and the somewhat elven looking woman with their weapons drawn on him, he looks at the male human who is shouting that they have need of a soldier, but need assurances of his loyalty. He is genuinely confused by this requests but tries to piece it together, "Are you speaking for your group? As I have said I intend to be a sell sword, if you want me to accompany you I would expect a full share of whatever fee you have agreed to and a full share of any treasure gained. As for assurances, my loyalty is bought and I value my word, I will not break it. But," he turns back to the women that still have their weapons drawn, "I am not sure you do speak for your party."

He crosses his arms and tilts his head, "I have seen many of you fight already, and while undisciplined, it is formidable. If you want a soldier to join you, you only have to ask, my devotion to Tyr requires me to fulfill any of my commitments, but I would need some assurances that it won't be me with a short sword in my back." He waits for a reply, and hopes that he will either be in an adventure, or on his way soon.

Actions

Anrek Grekel

Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 06:02 PM
Wanderer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2540
nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888 nai888
Malea holds still for several seconds after Anrek finishes speaking, allowing the silence to stretch on. She thinks hard about all the things she's heard of hobgoblins, wishing she'd paid more attention during her education. Warmongers, she does remember, soldiers from childhood, brutal and vicious, but also honor-bound. Even if this creature's ethics are wholly other than her own, he likely follows a strict code and probably is not lying to them.

She looks at Tammin and Omen, both of whom seem to be willing to give the hobgoblin a chance. She looks at Grey Lady and Willholm, both of whom seem as wary and protective as she. She worries about the missing Szass, wondering where she's run off to, and thinks that—based on what she knows of the gnoll—she would give him a chance, too. So they'd be evenly split. Half extending a hand in welcome and half extending a sword in defense.

She was wary, but had agreed to join forces with a tabaxi, a kenku, a gnoll—three creatures the empire had always taught her were dangerous or, at best, tolerable, yet they seemed so far to be worthy of her trust. She was in Visarala now, where the old rules of the Empire didn't necessarily fit. Perhaps this hobgoblin would surprise her, as well.

Finally she lowers her swords, though she does not sheathe them yet. "I wish you no ill will, so long as no ill comes to us by your will or otherwise. Give me a reason, and yes, you will find my sword in your back. But help us, protect us, fight alongside us, and you will find my sword in your enemy." She glances back at Willholm and Grey Lady and nods, wondering if they'll agree with her. "You may join us. Fulfill your duty and you will be compensated fairly. But we will be watching."

The half-elf steps away from Anrek and addresses the rest of the group. "What do we do about Szass? I am no tracker, and I know not how we would find her if her trail has disappeared. And yet…" She leaves this thought unfinished. How could they leave their companion behind?

Last edited by nai888; Sep 23rd, 2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 12:27 AM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4355
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Grey Lady
left-aligned image

When the hobgoblin speaks, introducing himself again as a mercenary named Anrek, the group is tense and silent a moment before Malea lowers her swords and speaks. Grey had to admit that having another trained warrior along would do them some good, especially if it meant the bulk of the frontline fighting wouldn't fall to her. So she nodded once to the hulking paladin and gave a flourish of her bladed tonfa before sliding it home into its scabbard on her lower back.

The gnoll's disappearance troubled her. It would've been one thing for the twig blights to kill her, but it was an entirely different context for her to disappear with no discernable trail. Following Willholm's direction, she quickly finds the bloody trail that leads to the bone-white tree and it's strange markings.

"Is it possible that the tree absorbed her in some way?" As the words left her mouth, she frowned inwardly before quickly adding, "I know very little about magic."

OOC, Actions, & Rolls

Very little, lol.

Movement:
Object Int:
Action:
Bonus Action:

Old Sep 24th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Willholm Plainfield
Mapmaker

(sheet)

Will nods and smiles at Anrek. His use of the goblin tongue only hoped to verify if the man was a threat or if he was peaceful by letting him know that the group of adventurers would be willing to listen and understand him. As Anrek formed an intelligent response Will was put at ease a slight bit. The ranger turns to his allies and tells them exactly what he had spoken to the hobgoblin, this time in common for all to hear.

Will didn't imagine he was the leader of the group of adventurers for a minute as his interests were mostly to conduct surveys of the area. However, Anrek posed a good question... who was their leader? All of them brought their own talents to the group and could lead in one way or another. He and Malea seem to be the most accepted of their group when they encounter others on the trails or more populated areas but that doesn't mean they are leaders per se. Omen and Tammin have proved to be strong members of the group also although they maybe prefer to be on the fringes when talking with others. Grey Lady has just joined them but already she provides an even tempered calculated approach to interactions. Could that be leadership in a way? Will is pulled back into the present by Malea's response. It appears that she has considered the hobgoblin's inquiry and has accepted his statements as true. Will nods towards Anrek once again, letting Malea's words linger on everyone's mind. He has decided to accept the man's words as truthful until he shows otherwise.

Will walks back to the tree at the end of the bloody trail and sketches the scene on some parchment. Not necessarily the blood and discarded trig blights but the landscape and general area and its' markings. In response to Grey Lady's more direct analysis Will adds, "I fear we may not know what has happened but maybe we can find those who are more familiar with the forest to provide some answers. The trail ends at this tree... maybe it is a... phylactery of sorts." Will thinks for a moment and then continues, "At the next town we can inquire. I know for certain exactly where this area lies. Let's search for any clues we may have missed but then we must continue on."

OOC
Reaction:
Free Action:
Movement:
Action: Draw markings of tree for future investigation
Bonus Action:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 11:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Anrek
right-aligned image
Anrek nods to each of the members of this party. "I will accompany you and fight by your side. Are we going to pursue your lost companion? Before we continue I will need to be filled in on what your current mission is."

Anrek feels a swell of adrenaline fill his body. He was not expecting to be adventuring so quickly. He knew this would be to his benefit, if he was successful with this party from Gateway, it would make his entrance to Gateway much easier. He was worried about the reception he would receive. But if he fulfilled his commitment he could have five people that could vouch for him. Anrek waits to see what the party wants to do. He hopes that they follow Will's suggestion and check in on this Szass in the next town and get moving on the current mission, whatever that is.

Actions

Anrek Grekel

Old Sep 24th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13817
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Tammin Brightspot
right-aligned image
Although Tammin is curious about this Anrek-fellow, he is far more curious to see what might have happened to Szass. He holds up his hand to the hobgoblin. ”Please excuse me for a moment, I’m going to check on one of our companions,” he says. He then looks at the others, the automaton and Malea in particular. ”Don’t do anything I would regret, will you?”, he says, hoping they don’t do anything stupid like attack the massive brute.

The tabaxi follows Willholm to the tree and examines the eating utensils left there. ”I don’t think a tree can swallow a person,” he says with a dubious look on his face. ”Sadly, I think it’s more likely that our friend simply decided this wasn’t something she wanted to do and took off. People often do irrational things, you know,” he continues, patting the ranger on his back in what he hopes is a comforting manner. ”She knows where we’re headed, if she wants to catch up,” he says, already thinking about how he can make a story out of a gnoll getting eaten by a tree. It might not be what happened, but the truth should never be allowed to spoil a good story.

Tammin then makes his way back to the others, his mannerism relaxed, as if he isn’t really threatened by the hobgoblin in their midst. In his experience, people are generally nice, and this one had tried to help them. So until he does something nasty, Tammin is comfortable with him around. A little more comfortable than he had been with Szass, truth be told. Not that he would tell the others that.

Just then Omen walks to him and grabs his face, stroking the fur gently. Although he is getting used to curious people in taverns who want to touch his fur, this feels both uncomfortably intimate, and awkward due to the timing. He is about to say something when he feels the dull pain from the small wounds caused by the bush-critters go away as Omen touches him and croaks something. Only then does he realize that the priest was casting a spell to mend his wounds. He nods at her gratefully. ”You have my thanks, Omen,” he says, smiling without showing his teeth. People tend to be uncomfortable with his large, sharp teeth for some reason. Probably jealousy. ”This feels much better.

Anrek seems to want to have everything in order, and from what Tammin can recall about hobgoblins they tend to have social structure that most people would associate with a military-like structure, so it makes sense for him to want to know who’s in charge.

”I do belief Willholm speaks for the rest of us,” he says, eying Grey Lady and Malea. ”And as he said, a companion of ours seems to have left, however they might have done that, so we have a position to fill. If it’s riches, adventure and horrible beasts to slay you are after, look no further. And don’t worry about my sword ending up in your back,” he says, his eyes stone cold. And he knows they are, because he has practiced that look in the mirror for a while now. ”If I stab you, it will be to your front, and you will be armed,” he continues. Unable to maintain the look any longer he winks at the hobgoblin. ”But I don’t think it will come to that,” he says with a huge grin that exposes his sharp teeth. He normally doesn’t like showing his teeth when smiling, but this seems like a good time to make an exception.

OOC

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by kymrel; Sep 24th, 2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Anrek
right-aligned image
Anrek noted how concerned these people were with their lost companion. Of course he did not care at all about a lost companion, and he wanted to get thing moving in a profitable direction. He turns to his companions and says let me take a look, I can sense the presence of otherworldly beings, if this tree is a spirit of sorts I will be able to tell.

As he walks to the tree his aura becomes visible, it sparkles with a radiant energy that everyone can see, a faint magical glow that surrounds him. His eyes begin to glow with a divine sense and he looks all around the tree. It is now clear that Anrek is no ordinary warrior, but one that have been divinely chosen by the God he has called Tyr. Anrek looks to see if the tree is undead, celestial or fiendish, he also scans the area for hidden enemies that may have taken their companion. As he does this he says, "It is likely that our Tabaxi companion is correct, your friend Szass might have just left. But even if we find evidence, we should stay the course. I assume you all have been hired for a task, and that should be the priority. While we look maybe someone can fill me in on what we are doing, and tell me your names, as only Omen has introduced herself. If I am going to fight and bleed with you, I would like to know whom I fight with."

Actions

Anrek Grekel

Last edited by Stonk; Sep 26th, 2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 11:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7449
Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia
Turning his divine abilities on the tree yields a curious result for Anrek.

Nothing in the immediate area radiates strongly with unusual energy. However, there is an extremely faint presence of undeath around the withered tree. The remains of the plant itself are not undead - but it seems as though powerful negative energy was very recently channeled through it - enough that a small amount of residue from it still lingers.