JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid JReid
Oh boy, I'm going to give it a go. Posting Interest
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 01:14 AM
Rise from the Ashes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1658
What would your feelings be on a Halfling Swashbuckler? Not set on it yet, I may also be interested in playing an elf. Could you tell me a little more about why the elves are isolationist, and this holy place in Hamptry?

Last edited by JReid; Aug 29th, 2018 at 02:09 AM.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 07:09 AM
Novel writing fiend
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16294
creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReid View Post
What would your feelings be on a Halfling Swashbuckler? Not set on it yet, I may also be interested in playing an elf. Could you tell me a little more about why the elves are isolationist, and this holy place in Hamtry?
Both of these would require some explanation, and good ones at that. The halfling nation is very far from the sea, so a swashbuckler would be quite a stretch if I"m remembering the class right.

As for the elves, no-one really knows why they are (translation: I haven't come up with lore for that), but they've pretty much been so since the recording of history by man (so roughly 3000 years). They're not militantly so, they welcome trade and guests in their lands, but access to non elves is controlled, and their borders are well patrolled. Some scholars have hypothesis that the elves were once explorers, but stopped being so around 5000 years ago for some unknown reason. Others cite a cultural shift, to focus inward as opposed to outwards, and perfect themselves. The elves themselves have even forgotten, although their knowledge of the lands outside their borders is detailed.

There are rumours of holy places that the elves constructed across Ziemia that if true, collaborate the previous theory mentioned above. They're rumoured to exist in areas of great natural beauty and reverence, and are especially prized by druidic orders. TO this date, none have ever been found, and many have died trying to find them. The Empire frowns on any worship other then the Light, so any druidistic order within the borders of the Empire usually has other things to worry about.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 08:02 AM
Rise from the Ashes

Tools
User Statistics
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 11:05 PM
Novel writing fiend
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Rise from the Ashes

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by JReid; Aug 30th, 2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 10:47 AM
1975, lol
Good People  

Hall of Fame GM 2019

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24559
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
WIP

Application
right-aligned image
Name: Brugvulf

Race: Human

House: Firtria by law, not birthrite.

Class: Druid

Physical Description: Most people known as the Thule have brown or blonde hair but those who undergo initiation into the Circle of the Snowrunner are changed to white haired even at a young age. So it is that even in his mid-twenties, Brugvulf sports a shock of long white hair and a grisly white beard. His stature is tall and stout as it is with not only the people of the frozen taigas but even the wildlife of that region.

Two possessions are most cherished by a Thule Snowrunner, his beast token and his staff. The beast token can vary and depends on what spirit chooses to commune with the young Snowrunner during his pilgrimage to the great monolith. Brugvult was honored by the great mammoth and wears an ivory chip off a tusk around his neck. While a staff may be a simple weapon to most cultures that live in the more temperate areas of the world, in the treeless taiga such an artifact is a treasure. While there are birch and arctic willow trees, these tend not to grow tall or thick. They also tend to grow crooked which do not make for a fitting staff. A Snowrunner's spirit guide leads them to a suitable tree that they can harvest their staff from.

Personality: Like his homeland, Brugvult is a cold, harsh man forged in cold winds and sunless days. His people are being forced farther south by the encroaching empire than they can reasonably survive. Saving the identity of his culture and his homeland are what drives him to travel north into the lands of permanent buildings, roads, agriculture, cattle, mining, and the abuse of that which grants life.

While Brugvulf can be wise when presented with theoretical conjecture or innocent discussion, he can also be rash when presented with an obstacle. Man was placed in the world as caretaker to the world not as a festering infection meant to devour it. If violence is the cure to the disease of encroaching 'civilization' he is prepared to be that medicine. He is not fool-hardy enough to think he can do it himself and he realizes the delicate foundation the empire rests on. The houses that make up the empire are petty and greedy. Such faulty loyalties might be manipulated to see the Thule granted their own independence and undisputed ownership of their home.

Personality Trait: I have a lesson for every situation, drawn from observing nature.
Ideal: The natural world is more important than all the constructs of civilization.
Bond: My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.
Flaw: Violence is my answer to almost any challenge.

Personal Goals: The creation of the House of Firtria, the extension of the South Road and the founding of Kevronhurst saw his people retreat further south than they had ever dwelt and forced them closer to the shore where they could supplement their survival on coastal mammals such as walrus, seal or whale. The ways of their ancestors, tracking the herds of caribou and mammoth across the taiga was becoming difficult to sustain as the herds thinned and the climate grew colder and darker.

Brugvulf has traveled north in hopes of assisting in the destabilization of the empire. To fan the flames of war and cause friction between the houses could give his people the opportunity to reclaim their land and force those in power to recognize their independence and grant them their land stolen from them with the formation of Firtria.

Player Goals: I could see Brugvulf beginning as a staunch opponent to imperial rule, join with a lower or rebellious house seeking to add to the chaos of a civil war. His notions and assumptions of his northern enemies would evolve with time and he could become a champion of a prevailing house, essentially strengthening the empire at the war's conclusion.

He could be convinced to join a house's cause to further his own goals of independence while working toward their goal of dominance over their rivals.

There could come a point where he would question the wisdom of his actions. Realize that autonomy from the empire is never going to happen and that for his people to survive they may have to assimilate into the larger society.

Contacts: Dwotgrot Warmdelver: A dwarven merchant who began plying the South Road all the way to Kevronhurst. He convinced a tribe of Thule to provide him with ivory in exchange for northern spices and liquor. This agreement angered the Snowrunners and led to conflict within the Thule. The skirmish between tribesmen and Snowrunners that led to a Thule dead at Brugvulf's hand as he protected a woolly rhino convinced him to take the fight to the empire instead of battling his own people.

While he despises Dwotgrot, he needs the merchant's knowledge of the Houses as he navigates his way north. He traveled with the dwarf north with a wagon loaded with ivory learning all he could about those he would seek to undermine all the while containing his anger at the cargo he journeyed with.

Despite using Dwotgot for information, he considers the merchant to be an evil person for corrupting some of the Thule with drink and coin. Destroying the dwarf's trade network is something personal Brugvulf would cherish accomplishing.

Smiling Davey: Small time thief Brugvulf latched onto at the first town he temporarily settled into. He saw the man pinching coin purses from the tax collectors wagon and was introduced to the thieves' guild, an organization whose greedy goals aligned with Brugvulf's aims at destabilization. Governments thrive on coin and taking it away from them creates discord.

While Brugvulf could appreciate what the thieves' guild stood for, freedom from law, he felt their aims were far too low for what he wanted to accomplish. He helped with a few missions and then went his own way.

Porgorag the Brute: After parting ways with the thieves' guild, Brugvulf found his way to an encampment of highway robbers run by an orc named Porgorag the Brute. Their form of martial resistance suited Brugvulf better at first. The idea of armed resistance seemed more along the lines of the revolt he was hoping to initiate.

That quickly changed when he discovered that the bandit's targets were just as easily innocent farmers or merchants as government payroll caravans. Porgorag lacked any big picture plans and Brugvulf felt forced to move on and continue his search elsewhere. Indiscriminate murder was not what he had come north for and the lack of any real long term goals led him to believe banditry was not a viable way to do enough harm to the empire.

Secret: Tell me a secret about your character. It can be something they consciously hide or it can be something which they are not aware of themselves.

RP Sample: I want to see your writing style. Show me your best post from another game, or write up something that you'd type for your first post in game.

Last edited by tomplum; Aug 31st, 2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 11:27 AM
Rise from the Ashes

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Tom, you beat me to it Halfling it is
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 04:00 PM
Novel writing fiend
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by creed; Sep 1st, 2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 05:30 PM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3672
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer

I have been diligently updating and revising the app over the past few days. Howm'I'doin? Lots of great apps/characters in this thread.
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 05:45 PM
Nosferatu

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15010
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
If anyone wants to intertwine backstories let me know.
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 05:53 PM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3672
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer
Great write up, Unforgiven! If there is anything in my character app that looks like a good intertwine, please let me know. I would be more than happy to collaborate.
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 06:32 PM
Rise from the Ashes

Tools
User Statistics
Okay creed, I'm going to try whipping up something else. Thanks for obliging my fanciful whimsies
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 10:25 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1129
LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac

I have taken the Oath
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 10:28 PM
Novel writing fiend
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics