Information Competition rules and rules queries for Outplay 2020 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2020
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-28-2020, 12:27 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21583
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Competition rules and rules queries for Outplay 2020

If you have any rules questions, you can make them here. If your question would involve spoilers of the events in-game (or if you want to keep your concerns away from the prying eyes of other applicants), please put your question under a secret tag, and direct the question at your GM (or one of the GMs of this game forum).

General rules for Outplay 2020Multiple applications: Only 1 application. You must pick which system you are applying for.

Reusing Characters: : You may use characters that were created for other competitions or games. Just make sure they fit the character creation rules of this competition.

Post edits: In all role-play rounds, you may only edit your post in the hour after its initial post. Posts edited after this window will not be considered by the judges, and may not be granted award points. In the application round, zero, you may edit your application as much as you want until the round ends.

Dice rolls: All game dice are to be rolled in your game post, labelled and using inum. The proper format to do that is: [dice=label]inum 1d20[/dice] Any editing of these tags will result in a big red box invalidating your rolls. (This includes editing the label, so make sure you do that first!) Please make the roll as near as possible to the place in your post where the rolled action takes place.

Player vs Player Conflict: PvP will not be allowed. In-character disagreements are acceptable, but in most circumstances deliberately acting in a way intended to stop another character from surviving/succeeding will be heavily penalized. Any potential exceptions to this will be made very clear.

Post Rate During role play rounds (rounds one through four), GM will be updating once a day, every day except for the last day of the round, for each week of play. There are one-week breaks between rounds of play. We expect successful players to post once per GM update.

Scoring: Each individual round this year will have a clear cut objective, and defined scoring metric, depending on the type of challenge being presented. Each week, a number of players will be eliminated as shown below. The Outplay champion(s) for 2020 will be the player(s) who have the highest score at the end of Round 4. We will not be doing a cross-system nexus type round this year, so there will be one champion per system that runs.
D&D 5E:

DMs: Bhelogan, Wynamoinen
Judges: Nasrith, savoylen

Shadowrun:

GM: Imveros
Judges: Marshmallow, Eddas

Elimination structure: This is a single-elimination tournament, but the elimination structure will allow more players than in the past to continue to the next round.
Round 0: All applicants are welcome
Round 1: All players with completed applications may compete in Round 1.
Round 2: 8 Players per system will advance to Round 2
Round 3: 4 Players per system will advance to Round 3
Round 4: 2 Players per system will advance to Round 5
Competition timeline
Round 0 (applications) open: Friday June 5th to Friday June 26th at 6pm EST

Round 0 Character Sheet Reviews: Friday June 26 to Friday July 3
Adjustments to characters finalized: Saturday July 4 and 5

Round 1 play: Monday July 6 - July 10
Round 1 Judging: July 11 - July 17

Round 2 play: Monday July 20 - July 24
Round 2 Judging: July 25 - July 31

Round 3 play: Monday Aug 3 - 7
Round 3 Judging: Aug 8 -Aug 14

Round 4 play: Monday Aug 17 - Aug 21
Round 4 Judging: Aug 22 - Aug 28
Winner declared by August 31

Last edited by Bhelogan; 06-05-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:14 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21583
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
What is outplay? Check out this excellent description from Aethera here.

Q and As to follow:
ShadowrunSo you want to run the shadows: Chummer 5A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
Another SR question: what's the year supposed to be?
2077, the sweet spot for 5th edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAquilina View Post
Also, if a glitch happens to occur, are we supposed to RP that ourselves, or do we have to wait for it to be resolved by the GM before continuing?
I'd suggest using edge to negate or lessen the glitch myself. But yes, I will resolve them, and while I will do my best, you could be posting while I'm unavailable and you should plan for me not to be available in your hour edit window. As such, try and not to hinge the content of your post on a single roll's outcome.

The obvious exception being inactive, which will be covered below

Quote:
Finally, are Shadowrun rolls for tests supposed to also be in inum?

Dice * Result gets obscured:
10d6smh4 5 ✔, 6 ✔, 6 ✔, 6 ✔, 2 ✘, 2 ✘, 5 ✔, 3 ✘, 5 ✔, 5 ✔ (7/10) Total = 45
(45)
While that will be more work for me and my judges, rules are rules and we shall stick to Inum dice rolling.

Quote:
Shadowrun question: do armour mods listed with individual availability (noted as "N" as opposed to relative availability noted as "+N") count against the total availability of armour? e.g., can you have an armored jacket (availability of 2) with nonconductivity (availability of 6) and fire resistance (availability of 6)? Would that be 2 separate availability entries or one with a total of 14?
They are separate items.

Things like internal smartlinks have a +2 for availability and would add to a single total.

Just make sure you stay within your capacity limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngainlyFool View Post
For SR, should character sheets be set to career mode and if so, should we roll starting nuyen in our application?
Yes and Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Several Users
How will the initiative rolls work?
Each day will be an entire combat turn

You will roll initiative in one post, see your result, and then craft your story in another post. That way you'll know how many passes you have but won't be locked into the hour edit window.

As players could post at literally any time of day, and I don't want to give an advantage to EST, I will be posting one massive post every combat day. It will be in your best interest to have well thought out contingency plans.

If foe hits by X amount, If I miss by X amount, use edge
Rolling several dodge and soak tests (I will remove things like wound mods and situational modifiers from the right-hand side of the roll)
If started by X number of enemies use Full defense (We will manually lop off actions you no longer take on our end)
Shoot foe one until down, then move shots to foe three
Etc

It's not perfect, but my judges and I feel it the fairest solution.

D&D 5EQ: I have a tool proficiency from my class/background, but not enough money to buy the tool. Can I just have the tools for free?
A: No, your character has not yet been able to afford their own tools. That might be your motivation for joining the Crossing Compansions Adventuring Guild. Generally speaking, things that are just RP fluff, have no issue being added. Your character shows up in a fancy dress? Sure. You own five parrots at home? Whatever. But, you can't add things that would potentially give you a mechanical benefit.

Q: Can I spend the money given by my class/background equipment on supplies?
A: Yes, you can spend it on things from the PHB at the listed cost there.

Q: What setting is this? Am I free to create my own cities/deities/etc?
A: Outplay occurs in a generic fantasy setting, flexible enough to allow you to bring in whatever you want so long as it fits the creation rules. You are free to create locations, people, deities and so forth for your background.

Last edited by Bhelogan; 06-19-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:53 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15389
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Sorry, Shadowrun ultra-noob question here! I'm reading the quickstart rules and came across this:

Quote:
Reduce Initiative Scores and Begin Next Initiative Pass

All Initiative Scores at this point are reduced by 10. Any characters who still have an Initiative Score above 0 can act again; return to step two, giving those characters who can still take a turn a chance to act again, in order of their Initiative Score. Continue this process until all Initiative Scores are at 0 or lower.
How does this resolve in PBP? Typically it goes along the lines of "players go in order of posting, then the DM," but if it's possible to get an additional action in the whole timeline gets a bit more foggy.

Also, does initiative get rerolled every round?

Last edited by DAquilina; 06-07-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:44 AM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Also, if a glitch happens to occur, are we supposed to RP that ourselves or do we have to wait for it to be resolved by the GM before continuing?

Finally, are Shadowrun rolls for tests supposed to also be in inum?

Dice Result gets obscured:
10d6smh4 5 ✔, 6 ✔, 6 ✔, 6 ✔, 2 ✘, 2 ✘, 5 ✔, 3 ✘, 5 ✔, 5 ✔ (7/10) Total = 45
(45)

Last edited by DAquilina; 06-08-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8817
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Quote:
Sorry, Shadowrun ultra-noob question here! I'm reading the quickstart rules and came across this:

How does this resolve in PBP? Typically it goes along the lines of "players go in order of posting, then the DM," but if it's possible to get an additional action in the whole timeline gets a bit more foggy.

Also, does initiative get rerolled every round?
Standard Combat rounds in SR go like this:
Roll Init. Examples:
Player 1: 7,
Player 2: 13
Player 3: 22
Player 4: 9
Enemies: 20

The Initiative would go like this:
Name Pass 1 Pass 2 Pass 3 Pass 4
Player 3 22 12 2 N/A
Enemies 20 10 N/A N/A
Player 2 13 3 N/A N/A
Player 4 9 N/A N/A N/A
Player 1 7 N/A N/A N/A

So you would resolve the first pass in order 22, 20, 13, 9, 7 just like you would in tabletop D&D.
Then you would resolve the second pass 12, 10, 3 with only those players with initiative left
Then the 3rd pass 2 (only Player 3 would go)
Reroll initiative and do it all over again.

Initiative interrupts can always interfere with later passes by immediately lowering your total initiative, like dodging, parrying, blocking, etc.

I've never seen pbp combat for SR changed because the system design is integral to way Shadowrun works. Initiative order in D&D can be monkeyed around with because although strategy and character design can revolve around initiative, the game itself doesn't break if you tweak it. That isn't to say you couldn't change SR PbP combat and I'll be interested to see if Outplay works differently given the posting requirements and the fact that there is generally not time to wait on players to post in order. But you survive in SR initiative pass by initiative pass. Maybe there won't be combat at all

Edit: I apologize if you understood how initiative worked RAW and were only asking about pbp changes.

Last edited by UngainlyFool; 06-08-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:55 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngainlyFool View Post
Standard Combat rounds in SR go like this:
Roll Init. Examples:
Player 1: 7,
Player 2: 13
Player 3: 22
Player 4: 9
Enemies: 20

The Initiative would go like this:
Name Pass 1 Pass 2 Pass 3 Pass 4
Player 3 22 12 2 N/A
Enemies 20 10 N/A N/A
Player 2 13 3 N/A N/A
Player 4 9 N/A N/A N/A
Player 1 7 N/A N/A N/A

So you would resolve the first pass in order 22, 20, 13, 9, 7 just like you would in tabletop D&D.
Then you would resolve the second pass 12, 10, 3 with only those players with initiative left
Then the 3rd pass 2 (only Player 3 would go)
Reroll initiative and do it all over again.

Initiative interrupts can always interfere with later passes by immediately lowering your total initiative, like dodging, parrying, blocking, etc.

I've never seen pbp combat for SR changed because the system design is integral to way Shadowrun works. Initiative order in D&D can be monkeyed around with because although strategy and character design can revolve around initiative, the game itself doesn't break if you tweak it. That isn't to say you couldn't change SR PbP combat and I'll be interested to see if Outplay works differently given the posting requirements and the fact that there is generally not time to wait on players to post in order. But you survive in SR initiative pass by initiative pass. Maybe there won't be combat at all

Edit: I apologize if you understood how initiative worked RAW and were only asking about pbp changes.
I had a pretty solid understanding of the basics, but I really do appreciate the detailed breakdown.

Given that the order is so important in SR, are we still going to be expecting a DM post every day? If you roll very high on initiative that is more opportunities to showcase your writing and strategy, but adds a bit of pressure for timing if you need to post three times in 24 hours.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:41 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12424
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
The question about combat is a very good one, I'm interested in an answer, too.

Also, what about custom items. I know that in the past (in PF) it was fine to add stuff like deck of cards or cigars or the like with a guesstimate for the price. Does this hold true here, too? Like have the character have a collection of 90s music for example?

Old 06-09-2020, 09:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28618
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
I have updated the FAQ with the Shadowrun questions I've seen.

Let me know if I've missed any, or if you have additional questions about Initiative.

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 06-10-2020, 12:20 PM
Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1199
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Hey there! Who exactly should I be directing my secret to for my D&D app? it says 'outplay judges' in the example, but is it just the GM's Bhelogan & Wynamoinen?

thanks!!
Old 06-10-2020, 12:24 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishkamon View Post
Hey there! Who exactly should I be directing my secret to for my D&D app? it says 'outplay judges' in the example, but is it just the GM's Bhelogan & Wynamoinen?

thanks!!
All of the relevant parties are GMs for the Outplay "game," or they are reds already, so they can see through all of the secret text by default. Hence the spoilerbutton. You can really put whatever you want there and the relevant parties will be able to access the information.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:24 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21657
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
To all the GMs and judges in your bracket, please. We are all listed in the first post of this thread.

GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:48 PM
Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1199
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
ahah. Somehow I didn't see the judges line after the DMs line *rolls eyes at self*
THISBODESWELL!!
thank guys
Old 06-10-2020, 02:11 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
Shadowrun question: do armour mods listed with individual availability (noted as "N" as opposed to relative availability noted as "+N") count against the total availability of armour? e.g., can you have an armored jacket (availability of 2) with nonconductivity (availability of 6) and fire resistance (availability of 6)? Would that be 2 separate availability entries or one with a total of 14?
Old 06-10-2020, 02:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28618
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
They are separate items.

Things like internal smartlinks have a +2 for availability and would add to a single total.

Just make sure you stay within your capacity limits

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 06-10-2020, 10:49 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27849
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath