Information Competition rules and rules queries for Outplay 2020 - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2020
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-16-2020, 08:42 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21783
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gath View Post
You've asked for creative titles to application spoilerbuttons.

Is there specific content that you do not want included?

For example, Character Name + Word Count?
Given the applications are to remain anonymous, character names are probably not a good idea. It really doesn’t have to be clever, the applications are not being judged beyond mechanical correctness, since we are letting everyone play in round one this year. That was not always the case in the past, so other years (and maybe in the future) it may be a bigger deal.

Last edited by Bhelogan; 06-16-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:18 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28484
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
If everyone gets to play this first round, why are the applications secret and anonymous?

Are future rounds going to be secret and anonymous as well? If so, how do you anticipate players to work together if they don't know what others are doing in a round?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first outplay and the rules are not very explicit so far, as they seem to be based on previous years of contests. I'd rather not go back and look at what other people did to win in previous iterations, I'm interested in just playing the best I can. But I'd like to understand the process a bit better so I can get an idea of what is going to happen. We're being graded on participation, teamwork, writing, heroism?

So rounds are going to be 24 hours, give or take, based on EST.
Round 0 is an application and is secret and anonymous.
What is Round 1 like?

You've said there won't be a crossover round.

Last edited by Gath; 06-16-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:01 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16043
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
In the past, there has been a public vote. The judges award scores and the community chooses their favourites to receive bonus points as a reward for good writing.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:51 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
So are you going to repost the apps in an anonymous post/thread scenario and viewers and judges vote?

What about future rounds? How is posting handled? Is it also anonymous?
Old 06-16-2020, 10:58 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22008
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
@Gath: the rules are given in the first post of this thread. Each round will have its own objective, and success in that objective will earn points. That roundís first post will explain scoring. Judges have already stated what they want to see in the judges thread. Outplay is in large part about creativity and flexibility. Youíre not going to get a detailed point by point grading rubric. We are not going to tell you beforehand what happens in each round. Thatís part of the competition, to keep you on your toes and see how you respond. The GMs of your other games donít tell you whatís coming next. We wonít either.

Read the judges thread. They want interaction. Clearly game posts canít be secret. Youíll post like you post in any game. Thatís the point. You really should look at old competitions. You disregard good advice at your own peril.

If nothing else applications are secret so that one application is not influenced by another, and people have a space to privately develop their app. Admittedly secret apps were more important in past versions of the competition. Bhelogan has already said that everyone with a completed app gets in - there will not be round zero voting.

GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:06 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
They want interaction. Clearly game posts can’t be secret. You’ll post like you post in any game. That’s the point.

If nothing else applications are secret so that one application is not influenced by another, and people have a space to privately develop their app. Admittedly secret apps were more important in past versions of the competition. Bhelogan has already said that everyone with a completed app gets in - there will not be round zero voting.
That's all I was asking for, thank you.

Last edited by Gath; 06-16-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:28 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Just for clarification, there are some rules we have in place here that may not make perfect sense for how we are running some aspects of Outplay this year, but they are still intact for one reason - Tradition!
Old 06-17-2020, 07:57 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7743
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
Just for clarification, there are some rules we have in place here that may not make perfect sense for how we are running some aspects of Outplay this year, but they are still intact for one reason - Tradition!
LOL. I knew exactly where that link was going to take me, and I was not disappointed.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:02 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Old 06-17-2020, 06:56 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17922
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Bah, Tradition is just Peer Pressure from Dead People.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:34 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GleefulNihilism View Post
Fixed that for you.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:04 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
Quote:
Fixed that for you.
It would seem that Peer Pressure is a Time-Honored Tradition between the initiated and the uninitiated, which matures into competition as people are accepted into the fold.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:39 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17922
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
I appreciate the spirit of fixing that for me, but I'm pretty sure Peer Pressure from Alive People is still just called Peer Pressure.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:19 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I appreciate the spirit of fixing that for me, but I'm pretty sure Peer Pressure from Alive People is still just called Peer Pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie
Pressure, pushing down on me, Pressing down on you, no man ask for. Under pressure that burns a building down, Splits a family in two, Puts people on streets. It's the terror of knowing what the world is about. Watching some good friends screaming "Let me out!" Pray tomorrow gets me higher. Pressure on people, people on streets. Okay, Chipping around, kick my brains around the floor, These are the days it never rains but it pours! Turned away from it all like a blind man. Sat on a fence but it don't work. Keep coming up with love but it's so slashed and torn, Insanity laughs under pressure we're breaking. Can't we give ourselves one more chance? Why can't we give love that one more chance? Cause love's such an old fashioned word, And love dares you to care for The people on the edge of the night. And love (people on streets) dares you to change our way of Caring about ourselves! This is our last dance. This is ourselves, under pressure... Under pressure... Pressure.
This cat knew what's up.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:37 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics