RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-05-2020, 08:34 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21583
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
The Stands

"Popcorn, hotdogs, soda! Get your popcorn, hotdogs, and soda right here folks! "

OOC Thread for all Outplay discussion between fans, commentators and participants.

Last edited by Bhelogan; 06-05-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:56 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
I see Phettberg and Retry here lurking before the announcement event went up! Way to be on top of things.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:58 AM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14246
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
I am a very nosy bear
Old 06-05-2020, 09:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28618
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
I see Phettberg and Retry here lurking before the announcement event went up! Way to be on top of things.
I've got my Shadow people riled up and hungry for that crown

Good luck everyone, you're going to need it!

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 06-05-2020, 10:41 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12975
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Felt it in my bones, heeded the call. Now I know what's up I can retreat back into my cave and let the ideas percolate in the old turnip a little.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:14 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12424
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Well, here we go again.

First question: will you open a feedback thread, or do you want feedback to the rules (*cough* Street-Scum *cough*) here?

Second question regarding SR: what about starting Karma. Will it be standard 25 or less?
Old 06-05-2020, 11:20 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
Well, here we go again.

First question: will you open a feedback thread, or do you want feedback to the rules (*cough* Street-Scum *cough*) here?

Second question regarding SR: what about starting Karma. Will it be standard 25 or less?
A feedback thread will likely go up at the end, but there's no stopping the train now that it's left the station!

As for karma, yes standard 25 starting with a Max of 25 additional for NQs. I'll go clarify that on the round zero post

Last edited by Imveros; 06-05-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:36 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12975
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
As for karma, yes standard 25 starting with a Max of 25 additional for NQs. I'll go clarify that on the round zero post
It's not standard for street scum, so good to know.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Alrighty, here it is then.

So, you really got me stoked for this year, Imveros. Playing Shadowrun during Outplay! That's awesome, right? Right?

And then the big let-down (for me at least). Street-Scum. Not just Street-Level, but Street-Scum. And reading the rest of the rules, I have to admit, I don't get it. Ok, DnD should start on level 1. Fair enough. But the standard Level 1 equivalent for SR is, well, normal A, B, C, D, E priority character creation, isn't it? Everything else, be it Street-Level/-Scum or Prime Runners options are just that, options. Don't have 5e experience but to me the Pathfinder equivalent would be having players start with 10 point buy and being limited to NPC classes for level 1. (Like in one of those "you're all farmers/craftsmen/whatever in village x" level games - which I generally stay far away from, because I don't like them.)

Maybe I'd understand if there were a round where SR and DnD characters competed with each other - because I will admit that standard, starting SR characters have better success chances than a level 1, well Pathfinder character. (Will assume this is similar in 5e.) There isn't such a round, though. So why not have each system start with their standard generation rules?

(And speaking of parity, purely out of curiosity, why not allow +1 source book for SR?)

So, yeah, not thrilled and, at least right now, not very motivated either, if I'm being honest. Hopefully that'll change with a few days to think about this.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
The no plus one was for two main reasons.

One, for my and the judge's sanity. There are several splats that only work in concert with others and opening that can of worms adds exponentially more to the work load.

Two, we wanted to keep the barrier for entry as low as possible. There is no free SR SRD so asking a newbie to buy even the core book is a big ask.

As for parity, they will in fact be a crossover round in round 4

Old 06-05-2020, 01:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
As for parity, they will in fact be a crossover round in round 4
But in the rules thread it says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan
We will not be doing a cross-system nexus type round this year, so there will be one champion per system that runs.
Another rules question: how many karma points can be converted to nuyen?
Old 06-05-2020, 01:47 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Just to jump in here, we went back and forth on the Crossover a bit during planning. So, don't blame Imveros for missing that change. (As with a few things this year, I kind of just put my 'you let me be in charge, so I get my way' stamp on the decision at the end of the day).

The advantage of that is, that as long as both systems get enough players to run, we will have two winners this year.

Having said that, we do try to keep the stories in sync, so that they jive with one another. Especially since our stories tend to be linked from year to year.

We chose to investigate the impacts of the world-shaking events that the last few years competitions have explored. How does it affect the people on the street? Or those just getting started? Also, since the majority of games start at level 1 (for D&D and PF), having a competition to find the best player competing in that power range also has some sense to it. Maybe next year will be the opposite extreme. We will see.

Last edited by Bhelogan; 06-05-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Standard 10 karma to cash at the full exchange rate of 1->2000

I've updated the round zero to explicitly say t

Sorry about the confusion on the crossover round!

Old 06-05-2020, 01:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Just to jump in here, we went back and forth on the Crossover a bit during planning. So, don't blame Imveros for missing that change.
Don't worry, I won't. I can only imagine how much work goes into hosting this competition and all the bits and pieces to keep track of.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:07 PM
An Actual Goat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14358
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Rest in Peace, PF1e

Last edited by Atalla Wanderer; 06-05-2020 at 02:07 PM.