RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-05-2020, 02:46 PM
A bird,a plan-Nalpadriba!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2517
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Envy me, all you crusty and fabulous RPG Crossing vets, I'm about to spectate my first Outplay!
Good luck to all who enter...give us a show!

Last edited by bananabadger; 06-05-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:50 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36898
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Greetings Outplay Enthusiasts.

Just a note that if you see any SPAM posts, yeah you know the type, be sure to use the Report Post function. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:03 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16043
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
I've got my Shadow people riled up and hungry for that crown

Good luck everyone, you're going to need it!
Well, hopefully I can get all of this figured out in time to actually participate this year! Never played SR before.

P.S. - Does anyone have any ideas about getting chummer working on MacOS? Locked into using my work laptop for pretty much everything at this point.

Nevermind! Should have read the rules before trying to do my own research. I think I ended up on the wrong repo.

EDIT: Instructions don't work for MacOSX 15+ (they basically disabled 32-bit applications, which has been a pain). Trying to workaround it to no avail, but here's the closest I've gotten:
  • Code:
    $ brew cask install xquartz
  • Code:
    $ brew cask install wine-stable
  • Code:
    $ brew cask install Winetricks
  • Code:
    $ wine64 ./Chummer5.exe

Breaks down on that last step...

Last edited by DAquilina; 06-05-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:40 PM
Keeper of Three Gremlins

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3825
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Alright, I think I have a 5e idea. Would love to try Shadowrun but I just don't have it in me to learn it right now.

I'm guessing there's no advancement - the character I build now will be the same all the way through?
Old 06-05-2020, 07:21 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2940
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAquilina View Post
Well, hopefully I can get all of this figured out in time to actually participate this year! Never played SR before.

P.S. - Does anyone have any ideas about getting chummer working on MacOS? Locked into using my work laptop for pretty much everything at this point.

Nevermind! Should have read the rules before trying to do my own research. I think I ended up on the wrong repo.

EDIT: Instructions don't work for MacOSX 15+ (they basically disabled 32-bit applications, which has been a pain). Trying to workaround it to no avail, but here's the closest I've gotten:
  • Code:
    $ brew cask install xquartz
  • Code:
    $ brew cask install wine-stable
  • Code:
    $ brew cask install Winetricks
  • Code:
    $ wine64 ./Chummer5.exe

Breaks down on that last step...
I believe some users have managed to get Chummer5A working on OSX, but I'll need to ask them about it, alternatively, you can use Herolab, but that's a pay-to-use thing last time I checked.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:23 AM
Lanthanide

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30312
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
I've long sworn I was retired from competing in Outplay, but I have a really obnoxious level one character idea in reserve.

We'll see...
Old 06-06-2020, 03:55 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 662
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
I went to the Chummer5e link but didn't see where to generate a character. I just made one using the Sixth World core rules. I also have a character using 5e rules that I found online. Is there a preference between the two? 5e and Sixth World? I shelled out some $$ for the core rules book.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:40 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2940
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADHG View Post
I went to the Chummer5e link but didn't see where to generate a character. I just made one using the Sixth World core rules. I also have a character using 5e rules that I found online. Is there a preference between the two? 5e and Sixth World? I shelled out some $$ for the core rules book.
5E is Fifth Edition, which is the edition being used in Outplay 2020, while Sixth World is 6th Edition, a character generated in Sixth Edition uses different rules than that of 5th.

Regarding Chummer it's not a web-based application, you have to download it from the Github (link here) using the green 'clone or download' button, there is a guide here on using Chummer to create a character.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 06-06-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:02 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21783
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
I moved a couple questions out of an application thread over here to the OOC. Let’s keep the application threads for applications only.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:05 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 662
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
Thanks Marshmallow. I'm looking over the post again and it looks like all characters will be mundanes. No magic. Have to go with a different character then. Had a healer magician aspected. Have to go with another option.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29300
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
There's nothing stopping you fr making your mage Tadhg

The only restrictions on magic are no domination spells and no binding. Plenty of room for healing and other buff spells. You can even summon a spirit to help you, you just can't bind it

Keep the questions coming everyone!

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 06-07-2020, 12:30 AM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9494
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
If I could make a suggestion, would the judges be willing to add a or some links to their bios to posts they find fit what they are looking for during outplay? that will help the players focus their writing a bit to the length, breadth, and style that is expected.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:08 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22008
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
The best advice is always to look at past competitions, and in particular, past winners. This goes doubly so if you're (which I don't think is your best strategy here, but YMMV).trying to divine my own preferences. I've judged the last two years and won the year before that, and all those things are public record. I've linked that stuff in my bio.

Past competitions are just a click away. That said: just repeating what others have done is not particularly interesting or collaborative or fun. The past can only take you so far. Each of you have your own version of excellence that I want to see.

If I'm going to give one very explicit hint: Outplay posts skew long. There are reasons for that; they need to be interesting impressive posts! But length is absolutely NO factor in my judging. If a post can be short but impactful - fun, literate, action-packed, advancing the narrative - I will give it high marks every time. Outplay posts can ABSOLUTELY be too long. I'd like to see posts get shorter overall, but I understand that the structure of the competition can sometimes make that hard. It's a balancing act. That's the challenge.

GM of Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens, a folklore-inspired D&D 5e one-shot adventure.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:38 AM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16043
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
UPDATE on tooling: I gave on on wine for getting Chummer working; ended up just using Parallels and running it in a Windows VM.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:56 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13070
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Another SR question: what's the year supposed to be?