RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-11-2020, 09:25 AM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16043
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishkamon View Post
Fantastic man I can't wait to see what the first round is gonna be!
*commences thumb twiddling* anyone got any favourite scenarios from years gone by?
Outplay 2018 was a labyrinth-style game where each room had a different sort of challenge. For context, I had rolled stats and ended up with a 5 that I put into wisdom, playing it as my bloodrager losing his mind from eternal torment at the loss of his wife, only to gain clarity when he entered his bloodrage.

One of the rooms was more of a social challenge, where there was essentially a small campsite inhabited by a character named THAC0. It was a ode to 2e, and he wanted the characters who entered to use their non-weapon proficiencies.

But I had sort of interpreted the intention slightly wrong, so I thought that room used AD&D 2e rules instead of the pathfinder rules, and so I sort of rebuilt my character to fit into that. In 2e you rolled your stats in order, so I ended up with that 5 in CHA instead of WIS, and for the few rounds I was in that room I played him as a character with crippling social anxiety instead of borderline insanity. It was a strange little detour in the madness of the competition, and it really stuck with me.

Also worth mentioning was a pretty badass FUS-ROH-DAH moment he had where he used sonic scream to destroy some crystal spiders after making a 7-foot leap straight up.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:51 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21783
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Just a heads up. A minor alteration/clarification for D&D 5E. If you want to spend the coins you get from your background starting equipment on PHB gear, you can do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishkamon View Post
*commences thumb twiddling* anyone got any favourite scenarios from years gone by?
My first Outplay in 2015 still holds fond memories for me. I had liked Druids before but absolutely fell in love with them through the competition. Ivan Krakonosh was my character. The use of Wild Shape, and conjuration spells helped my character tackle a lot of problems in creative ways that would have been a challenge otherwise. For example, he turned into a squirrel to scout out a carnival without being noticed. This was also the first time I had cast conjure animals at a higher level to summon an absurd amount of wolves. Try getting all the combat rolls in for yourself, and 16 conjured animals all in a 1-hour time slot, then still write up your RP section!

I also learned that I really needed to step up my writing and grammar during that competition to do well at RPGX. My writing has improved a lot over the years, which has helped me professionally. I still make extensive use of the Grammarly plugin to save myself from a lot of embarrassing typos.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:11 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10989
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
775 words and I'm done with my submission.

Just two things, I need confirmation that my characters glasses meet the some of the rating increases had the + others did not but from looking above I think they're okay, just worried is all 10 availability and for some reason, the Flashbang grenades say my character only has 1 when it should be 2.

Edit: Make that 779 words

"Learn from your mistakes, repeat only as needed, live long and prosper."

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Thu: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: UNAVAILABLE

Last edited by Silk; 06-11-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:18 PM
Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2015
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
My first Outplay in 2015 still holds fond memories for me. I had liked Druids before but absolutely fell in love with them through the competition. Ivan Krakonosh was my character. The use of Wild Shape, and conjuration spells helped my character tackle a lot of problems in creative ways that would have been a challenge otherwise. For example, he turned into a squirrel to scout out a carnival without being noticed. This was also the first time I had cast conjure animals at a higher level to summon an absurd amount of wolves. Try getting all the combat rolls in for yourself, and 16 conjured animals all in a 1-hour time slot, then still write up your RP section!

I also learned that I really needed to step up my writing and grammar during that competition to do well at RPGX. My writing has improved a lot over the years, which has helped me professionally. I still make extensive use of the Grammarly plugin to save myself from a lot of embarrassing typos.
Haha, oh wow. That sounds great, summoning an obsurd amount of wolves was always a childhood dream of mine XD

Just been reading last years first round with the chiildren? brilliant!!

I feel more confident in the writing aspect but not so experienced with the game mechanics in a way i'm sure a lot of people here might be. Actualy helps that we are starting at level one in that aspect I suppose!
Old 06-13-2020, 08:16 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14102
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Alright, finally got an app out. 995 words I believe. Still needs more proofreading, but shouldn't have any obvious typos.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:58 PM
An Actual Goat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14358
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
I wish Outplay was like the Kentucky Derby. I could pick out a couple players and bet some of my RPXP on them to win.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:09 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17922
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
...I really like that idea, actually.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:44 PM
Keeper of Three Gremlins

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3825
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Me too. Not sure it's possible to do with XP? That's probably something to ask Birched. But the idea of formulating a little internal 'currency' for the Outplay and maybe Iron DM ... I could get behind that. Provided that it doesn't break site rules, even if it's only pretend 'gambling'.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:49 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17922
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Meh, I figure if it doesn't break the site rules that's more a bonus.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:49 AM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9494
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
I pretty sure even fake gambling strays too close to rules for comfort.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:42 AM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28484
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
There's no harm in rooting for your champions though! RPXP is free to give, and I am sure the currency of encouragement will be most welcome!
Old 06-14-2020, 05:53 AM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
I have a question about rolling. I am accustomed to rolling in a separate thread, but I am certainly willing to try inline rolling. I know that inum is a cool way to display the results of a roll, but wouldn't it be better to keep immersion by rolling labeled dice in tt tags? That way you have action words that have drop down windows with dice roll results displayed without breaking the flow of the story.

Badger the bear combed his hair
Dice Performance:
1d20+5 (5)+5 Total = 10
(10) and then he ate
Dice Bite Attack:
1d20+13 (14)+13 Total = 27
(27) his meal
Dice Damage:
2d6+24 (4, 5)+24 Total = 33
(33).

Badger the bear
Dice Performance:
1d20+5 (14)+5 Total = 19
combed his hair and then he
Dice Bite Attack/Damage/Bleed:
1d20+13 (12)+13 Total = 25
2d6+24 (2, 3)+24 Total = 29
1d6t 3 Running Total = 32
ate his meal.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3372
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
I believe the reason why dice tolls in TT tags is frowned upon is because theres a loophole that could be exploited.

If dice rolls in inum are deleted or edited, there will be a red warning when the post is saved.

However, dice rolls made in TT tags can be deleted and re-rolled until favorable results are obtained, without triggering that warning, so its susceptible to abuse.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:15 AM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Deleted RollTesting this theory by Editing Dice
Dice * Roll Set 2:
1d12+4 (7)+4 Total = 11
rolling and
Dice * Editing Tags:
1d20+5 (17)+5 Total = 22
editing
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by Gath; 06-14-2020 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:16 AM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Pretty sure that's not the case.