Game Thread Chapter 2C Up a level, Down a level - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Everflame Heroes
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 12:18 AM
smirnov smirnov is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2011
RPXP: 0
smirnov
Posts: 299
Does Stephan know if the swarm created by 'summon swarm' is limited in how far it can travel?
Will the swarm disperse if the caster losses his concentration?

Last edited by smirnov; Apr 7th, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Adam Adam is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 10th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Adam
Posts: 126
Thrice-damned bats are wasting my spells, Xanna mutters quietly, casting Burning Hands again.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 6th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Kevin
Posts: 579
Summon swarm isn't a cleric spell, but Stephan shares a couple things he's heard rumor of.

The swarm stays around a little while after the caster stops concentrating. There's no maximum range, but the swarm is stupid and will attack any warm body.

I heard a story once of an evil wizard who liked to summon a swarm in a city and concentrate for a few hours, just to see what havoc it would wreak. I should have taken better notes.
Stephan thinks to himself.

----------

Only squares 1, 2, and 6 in the map below have caltrops, the other 3 are clear. The range of the blanket is 5 feet: you'd need to stand in square 1 (where you will be visible, albeit with cover, to those in the room) in order to clear out squares 2 or 6. You can clear 1 square as a standard action, or 2 as a full round action. Since he'd have to "draw" the blanket this turn, he'd be limited to a standard action. Anyway, with that in mind, please confirm/clarify your action.

--------------

Xanna blasts again at the swarm. Again, a multitude of bats fall to the floor and disappear, but the swarm remains intact.

------------

This battle was lost before it started. The only question is how many characters will live to fight another day.



#####2#####
###316#
###4####
###5#
###.#
##..#
##.##
##.#
...#

Last edited by Kevin; Apr 7th, 2011 at 09:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Lanorolen Lanorolen is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 10th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Lanorolen
Posts: 478
For this round, I'll pull out the blanket and clear square number 1.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Adam Adam is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 10th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Adam
Posts: 126
((When the DM gives a Broad Hint, it's a good idea to listen.))

The girl is dead, Durgor. Those hazards enable our escape.

Xanna takes a move action south, returning to the floor once she's away from caltrop squares. She takes Total Defense as her standard action this round.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Lanorolen Lanorolen is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 10th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Lanorolen
Posts: 478
Durgor abandons any hope of dealing with the caltrops this round, and instead addresses his party. His accent is deliberately heavier than usual, and he's speaking quietly, hopefully making it hard for anybody who's not a native Common speaker to understand his words.

The way I see it, we've got two options. First, we could abandon the rest of the children, let the kobolds get away with coming into human lands and stealing your people, and run away. Second, we could pull back out of the swarm (which may then go after the kobolds for us), hold the corridor, heal up, go in together and take them down. I don't think they can get at us in the hallway - they need their massed fire - and if we can get rid of the swarm then it won't take Stephan long to get us back up to full strength with the wand. There's quite a few of them, but if we rush them I'd hope that we can take several down in the initial attack. Aside from the swarm (which I trust that you can eventually handle) the biggest danger is their magic missiles - which they have to be running low on. I didn't see a wand or scroll, they've already cast three of them - I wouldn't imagine they can manage more than three more even with the two casters.

One thought would be to pull back out of the swarm, then put the blanket up across the corridor to try to hold the bats back. That might convince them to attack the kobolds instead. This corridor is only 5 feet wide, and not that tall - the blanket should be big enough to cover it.


OOC: Yes, that was more than 40 words. So sue me. If you're going to set encounters that require coordinated teamwork, then you need to allow us to talk enough to coordinate. It may not be "realistic," but it is very much the way in which D&D is commonly played, and the mechanics are designed with that in mind.

Last edited by Lanorolen; Apr 7th, 2011 at 02:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Adam Adam is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 10th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Adam
Posts: 126
((Kevin, make sure you snap your fingers dramatically when you type that.))
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 03:58 PM
smirnov smirnov is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2011
RPXP: 0
smirnov
Posts: 299
"Xanna zap the swarm"

Stephan will use the wand on Usko
he will try to get Usko away from the bats
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 6th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Kevin
Posts: 579
Durgor gives a dramatic, climactic speech, and, lacking a podium, punctuates it by brushing away some caltrops.

Stephan heals Usko with the wand and points as Usko wakes up.

GO!

Usko, still groggy, stands up and moves 20 feet down the corridor

Xanna ignores Stephan. She hops down off the wall and moves south, going Total Defense versus whatever dangers may come her way--none do.

It turns out that Xanna's intuition was correct, however, as the swarm disappears.

Ah, right. The caster must have stopped concentrating on the swarm when he blasted Usko...

At that moment, the all-white kobold appears at the entrance to the tunnel! It points its finger at Durgor. Three balls [1] of white light streak forward, slamming into Durgor, who goes down hard!

Moving forward past that one is King Merlokrep! Taller than the other kobolds, with rippling muscles more resembling those of a dwarf, and looking resplendent underneath his crown, Merlokrep moves into the newly-cleared square next to the unconscious Durgor, and using both hands, brings down his mace Blood and pieces of brain flying in all directions as Durgor's head explodes!

Another kobold moves in past the king, a fourth moves into the empty space in the corridor, but does not attack.

Usko notices that the magic missiles have destroyed many of the clasps on his breastplate. If he wishes to do so he can probably discard it quickly. [2]

------------------------------
K = Kobold in studded leather armor with a short sword.
M = Kobold King Merlokrep. (who by the way has about as many hit points as the entire party combined at the moment)
J = Kobold Shaman Jeekajak, a.k.a. the all-white kobold.

#####J#####
###KMK#
###.####
###S#
###.#
##..#
##U##
##X#
...#


Usko is at 4 hit points and is not bleeding.

Stephan and Xanna each bleed 1 point.

[1] By the way, I trust you can figure out what level Sorcerer you have to be to have a Magic Missile spell fire 3 of 'em. Feel free to look up how many spells they can cast each day.

[2] DC10 dex check as a swift action to sluff it off (retry permitted). Or use a standard action to discard it automatically.

Last edited by Kevin; Apr 8th, 2011 at 12:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Theroniac's Avatar
Theroniac Theroniac is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 17th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Theroniac
Posts: 218
Usko will attempt sloughing the armor as a swift action, use a standard action if that fails, then use remaining move action or actions to beat feet out of there.

Last edited by Theroniac; Apr 7th, 2011 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:28 PM
smirnov smirnov is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2011
RPXP: 0
smirnov
Posts: 299
Stephan will follow Usko's example, running as fast as he can
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Adam Adam is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 10th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Adam
Posts: 126
Xanna will cast Shield, then follow suit.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
smirnov smirnov is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2011
RPXP: 0
smirnov
Posts: 299
If Stephan has time this round, he will channel Healing at the party

If the kobolds follow the party, Stephan will cast Spark at the oil flask the he left along the side of the corridor earlier, so as to immolate any pursuit
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 6th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Kevin
Posts: 579
Usko huffs it out of there, maximum speed. He makes it most of the way through the large room with the juvenile kobolds, who stare at him curiously, many fingering their slings.

Xanna, who had been in the lead, slows down a bit to cast Shield, then runs after Usko, and is now in the large room with the young kobolds.

Stephan, the kobolds breathing down his neck, runs as well. Then he pauses, still in line of sight of those in the corridor, to cast Spark to ignite the oil, whose flames fill the area immediately behind him.

Merlokrep and Jeekajak stop just shy of the oil. Five magic missiles slam into Stephan's back, while a javelin hits the wall near his head. [1]

------------------

f = fire

#####J#####
###...#
###K####
###K#
###K#
##JK#
##M##
##f#
.S.#


Usko is 45 feet ahead of Stephan; Xanna is 20 feet ahead of him. You estimate that, if you beeline there, Usko will reach the room you entered the level on in 6 or 7 rounds.

The oil will burn for 2.


[1] Stephan takes 17 damage from the magic missiles, plus one more from bleeding (and the one previous point of damgae from the bat swarm), putting him at 5 hit points. He is bleeding 1/round.

Last edited by Kevin; Apr 8th, 2011 at 08:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Theroniac's Avatar
Theroniac Theroniac is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 17th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Theroniac
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

Xanna, who had been in the lead, slows down a bit to cast Magic Missile, then runs after Usko, and is now in the large room with the young kobolds.
OOC: I think you mean shield, and how is Xanna ahead of Usko if she cast a spell?

Last edited by Theroniac; Apr 8th, 2011 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB