RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > DM Screen > DM mentoring
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-07-2019, 01:22 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 376
LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles
Determining what is a session?

Hi everyone! I'm considering trying my hand DMing my first ever PbP game and while I have a ton of questions, this forum seems to answer a lot of them.

A few of the games I was thinking of running have some systems or abilities that happen "once per session." I was curious if anyone had experience delineating this in a PbP environment. How would you determine what constitutes a session?
Old 06-07-2019, 07:12 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14176
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
This is a tough one - like you suggest, there's no catch-all PbP analogue. I've seen two approaches:

1) something like "once every two months IRL". If your PbP game is on the ~2 posts per week pace that is standard in my experience, that's 16 posts per player. Which is a game thread of decent size (80-100?).

2) Many of my game structures have "acts" or "scenes". Scene 1 is "exploring the Green Tomb", Scene 2 is a new thread, called "The Castle Atop the Bluff". And so on. You can then allow the per-session abilities to be used once per scene, on the assumption that each scene is about equivalent to a sit-down session of 3-5 hours.

I'd prefer the second, but it obviously relies on the game being structured in that way.

Just two more days for Outplay applications!
Old 06-07-2019, 11:36 AM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6143
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
For online play I recommend using the Acts and Scenes method.
There are numerous games that use this method and can explain it - most white wolf for example.

I see it as
Act is a minor story arc/significant related collection of actions.
Scene is what happens in a location with continuous action.

-me

Last edited by jj_wolven; 06-07-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:47 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 376
LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles LtTibbles
Thank you both so much for the advice, I think the Scene/Act method will be the most intuitive option to use!