RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2019
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-10-2019, 05:58 AM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8413
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Any visible text is the language that was used.

Red text for reading convenience.

Last edited by wodine; 06-10-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Let's "snuggle"

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29583
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
PATHFINDER:

As long as I use the info from the Core Rule Book (specifically here) to make something out of a special material, does that count as Core Rule Book, even if the item in question (such as a mithral chain shirt) is specifically named in a different source that I'm not using?

A mithral chain shirt is a very common item made from special material (even the Baggins' had one) and if you follow the rules for Mithral from the CRB you get the same item for the same price. As long as you follow what is laid out in the CRB + your additional resource + any relevant Paizo erratas, you should be fine.

Last edited by wodine; 06-10-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:23 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 975
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Pathfinder:

The infamous "masterwork tool" entry in the CRB. Any judicial guidance here other than "use our best judgment and expect the Hand of Wodine to smite us, lo, unto the seventh generation, for stupidity therein"?

I am unaware of any infamous masterwork tool entries but that doesn't mean Wodine won't smite you.

EDIT: Also, are we our own ally, generally speaking? There are some effects for which that's explicitly excluded (bard Inspire Competence). In the 3.5 PHB (p 304) there was specific text to that end: "In most cases, references to 'allies' include yourself", but the PF CRB omits that text. The editors at d20pfsrd included a note that stated: "You count as your own ally unless otherwise stated or if doing so would make no sense or be impossible. Thus, 'your allies' almost always means the same as 'you and your allies'." But to the best of my knowledge, there's nothing official that defines "ally" as either including or excluding the character themselves.

The d20pfsrd note is quoted on Paizo's FAQ and is the closet thing there is to an official ruling, so we will abide by the FAQ as much as it should have made it into an Errata.

EDIT 2: Barring the cost limitations on single use items (and in general), are there restrictions on the caster level of consumable items (such as scrolls or potions)?

As long as it does not violate any of the other rules, then yes items may be purchased at a higher caster level. Be sure to denote this clearly for the judges.

Last edited by wodine; 06-10-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Following up on a couple responses:

I'll note for sake of curiosity that the "mithral shirt" item and the result of applying the mithral special material to a chain shirt aren't exactly the same; the former weighs 10 lbs, the later 12.5. Regardless, the mithral shirt first appeared in the CRB, so either version should be fair game.

As for "masterwork tool", I'm referring to the entry on CRB 158, which reads in part: "This tool is perfect for its intended job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). The bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items do not stack." It then goes on to explain that some items (e.g. climber's kit) are effectively already the masterwork tool for their skill, and some skills may only have such tools for a subset of uses, and so forth. I deemed this entry "infamous", mostly because of it's history with Pathfinder Society Organized Play (they largely gave up and deemed pretty much everything acceptable, in what always struck me as a woeful departure from their otherwise ironclad policy of "RAW, no matter the cost!"). Basically... are sane uses of masterwork tools, especially for low-impact skills, likely to be considered copacetic?

Just remember that each skill should have its own tool. A masterwork jewelers' loupe isn't likely to help you swim.

Last edited by wodine; 06-10-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
For PF shapeshifters, how are the animals/monsters/undead that are available determined?

Edit: to clarify, any PC that changes it’s shape not any specific class.

In the interest of remaining true to the core rule book, we will be limiting shape shifting to things found within the Bestiary 1. Additionally as when shapeshifting or polymorphing (for example) you become an average creature with which you need to be familiar with. While you can theoretically tweak the appearance within reason, (say being a scarlet macaw instead of a hyacinth macaw) we will be disallowing templates. It wouldn’t make sense to be able to somehow concoct a macaw with an 18 strength value, while changing the color is seemingly innocuous.

Last edited by wodine; 06-10-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:07 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3641
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
5th edition:
  • Can you cast a spell that needs somatic gestures while having a weapon held in your hand?
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Somatic and material components require at least one free hand. A hand is not free if it's holding a weapon or shield (or pretty much anything aside from an arcane focus). The War Caster feat can get around this issue.

Edit: Thanks. That's what I thought but wasn't positive.

Last edited by Silk; 06-10-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:02 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 885
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori
5e
I read somewhere in a previous Outplay that there is no short rests. What are the rules regarding rests in 2019?

Rests are likely to remain in short supply.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 06-11-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:06 AM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
For PF, other than the book limits, are there limits on summoning spells. Like I know you can’t ritual summon an eidolon for that unlimited duration pet, but what about the summon monster ability and conjuration (summoning) spells?

Eidolon's are not allowed in Outplay, this includes via summoning spells.
You may not start play with any pets or npc's outside of a companion or a familiar.
Summon Monster spells are limited to Beastiary 1

Last edited by Squeak; 06-11-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:13 AM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3641
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
If I wanted to start the game with an item hidden somewhere on my character, can I roll Slight of Hand now to hide it? Or do you wish that to happen only in-game when everything starts?

All rolls (aside from HP) that are relevant to the game should be made in-game.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 06-11-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33584
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
Pathfinder Errata 1.2 Rules that are highlighted as "Optional" or "Variant" rules are not allowed in Outplay.

Hero Points, including Hero Points granted by feats or other methods, are not allowed.

Last edited by Squeak; 06-11-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Pathfinder: (but probably 5E too, honestly)

Obviously they are literally consumables, but do nonmagical foods with no mechanical effects count against the 8 consumables limit? If so, do they do so per-item or can we have a reasonable amount of comestibles at the cost of 1 (or, preferably zero) "slot" of consumables?

After all, I don't really expect that characters will stop to eat amidst the actual competition, but we're supposed to also be serious about the roleplaying aspect here. The gates are a two day journey out from civilization, in mostly remote areas. Knowing that we won't need food seems metagamey.

Consumables are consumables. If they are magical they count towards the limit.

Why not bring mundane snacks? A bit of cheese perhaps? Or a loaf of bread? Or rather stop at one of Kokabiel Strix's fine dining establishments, Manic Metagamers. You can find all sorts of fine cuisine from pickled quail eggs to lamprey pie and even cheesy blasters! The costs are reasonable and there's even games and prizes! Come on by to one of our 16 convenient locations all around the gates of perdition and say Kokabiel sent you and you'll be entered into a raffle for a free meal!*

*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Open to legal residents of earth, who are at least 13 years old as of date of entry. Begins 12:00 a.m. ET Friday June 28 2019; ends 11:59 p.m. ET August 31 2019. For complete Official Rules and eligibility, visit any of our conveniently located dining establishments. Sponsor: RPGCrossing Inc. Promotion Official Rules NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR FOR A DONATION TO BE MADE. Void where prohibited by law. Subject to all federal, state, and local laws. Promotion begins 12:00 a.m. ET Friday June 28 2019; ends 11:59 p.m. ET August 31 2019 (the "Promotion Period"). Administrator Birch's computer is the official time keeping device for this Promotion.

Eligibility: The RPGCrossing Inc. Manic Metagamer Promotion (the "Promotion") is open to legal residents of earth who, as of date of entry, are at least thirteen (13) years of age or the age of majority in their respective states/jurisdictions of permanent residence, whichever is greater. Employees, officers, and directors of RPGCrossing Inc. ("Sponsor"), and any of their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, franchisees, mandataries, representatives, consultants, contractors, legal counsel, advertising, public relations, promotional, fulfillment, and marketing agencies, web site providers, web masters, and members of their immediate families (spouses, parents, siblings and children, regardless of where they live) and those living in the same household (whether or not related) are not eligible to enter or win. Participation constitutes entrant's full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and to Sponsor's and/or Administrator's decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Promotion. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. Sponsor reserves the right to verify the eligibility of winners.

How to Enter: There is NO PURCHASE NECESSARY to participate. Each entrant need only enter a Manic Metagamer location and fill out a small form which will then be added to the raffle.

Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in this Promotion, entrants agree that Sponsor, Administrator, and each of their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, franchisees, representatives, consultants, contractors, legal counsel, advertising, public relations, promotional, fulfillment and marketing agencies, website providers, web masters, and their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents (the "Released Parties") are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Promotion; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant's participation in the Promotion or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS PROMOTION, ENTRANTS AGREE THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND SHALL BE HELD HARMLESS BY ENTRANTS AGAINST, ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURIES, LOSSES OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND TO PERSONS, INCLUDING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, OR PROPERTY RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, MISUSE, OR USE OF THE PRIZE, ENTRY, OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS PROMOTION OR IN ANY PROMOTION RELATED ACTIVITY, OR ANY CLAIMS BASED ON PUBLICITY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION OR INVASION OF PRIVACY, OR MERCHANDISE DELIVERY. THE RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IF ANY PRIZE CANNOT BE AWARDED DUE TO CANCELLATIONS, DELAYS, OR INTERRUPTIONS DUE TO ACTS OF GOD, ACTS OF WAR, NATURAL DISASTERS, WEATHER, OR TERRORISM.

Thank you and good luck!

POST-RED EDIT: This is undeservedly fantastic.

Last edited by wodine; 06-12-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Groom'd

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13148
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Secret, because potential spoilers

Last edited by Squeak; 06-11-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2308
RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja RainyDayNinja
Does the limit on "one-use items" include consumables with multiple charges, such as Necklace of Fireballs or Gem of Brightness?

As wands are not considered one use items, neither shall multi use wondrous items.

Last edited by wodine; 06-11-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:52 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nothing to see here.

Secret secrets are no fun, Secret secrets hurt someone.

Last edited by wodine; 06-11-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2349
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Count me in.

Is it two traits with a drawback? Traits and Drawbacks are not included in Outplay.

Last edited by Squeak; 06-12-2019 at 10:01 AM.