Notices

Old 04-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 53
JSWolfe
Assistant to the GM? Possible?

Hey has anyone has heard of an Assistant GM role? And if yes how does that normally work?

I'm not experienced enough to be a GM but super willing to help with any organisational tasks that the GM may need help with (to make their life easier).

Just curious if anyone else has seen this happen before or am I just too enthusiastic?
Old 04-07-2018, 02:12 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 61022
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I think a lot of GM's have either co-dm's, or some form of assistance. The exact division of labor varies, greatly.

Some use a second to run NPC's (one of my weaknesses, for example). Others have someone take over combat for them, or do color/research on the world. The good news is PBP is actually a great way to do this, as you typically have more time between each post to coordinate which person does what, and add in the contributions from the other seamlessly.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:51 PM
Old, Crusty, and Cranky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1547
Sarge6 Sarge6 Sarge6 Sarge6 Sarge6 Sarge6 Sarge6 Sarge6 Sarge6 Sarge6 Sarge6
Yep. Also some DM/GMs will share a plot with the assistant and when the time comes the DM steps aside for a few scenes allowing the assistant to run the plot and then switching back. just remember that the NPCs are not supposed to be the heroes, too many people want their personal favorite character to 'save the day' rather than the party saving the day.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:57 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Crazy Maze
I personally do that all the freaking time. When the other players are not involved in a particular scene, I usually give them NPCs to interpret. It makes the game a lot more dynamic and keeps everyone around the table active and participating at all times. Try it out.