Story The Fallen Tower - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-18-2019, 04:39 PM
Pendragon's Avatar
Pendragon Pendragon is online now
Pendragons at Work
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-23-2020
RPXP: 7354
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
Posts: 4,652
The Fallen Tower

The ApproachYou have trekked across the bairn lands of abandoned fortresses and walls called the Cairnlands and you can finally make out the shape of the Fallen Tower ahead. It was hidden by a bluff topped by a low wall for the past mile, but the directions your received in Cooperwood were accurate and picking through the landmarks one by one you found your destination. A wisp of smoke is visible rising from the interior of the tower, actually creeping up from a small crevice that has opened on one side, hugging the stones until it broke free from the tower and lofted into the overcast sky.

It was time to make final preparations, talk about what might happen and get ready to save the poor Pathfinder trapped within.

OOCLets get our introduction posts out of the way and then I will post up the first encounter. Let me know you all are ready by mentioning moving toward the tower.

Just a reminder, this module has a few encounters and we will move through it kind of quickly. It is just meant to be a jumping off point for the group and then we can have something more character driven and possibly develop plot arches along the way.
__________________
Run two games (2/2).
Oath Taken
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-25-2019, 10:52 AM
Muggins's Avatar
Muggins Muggins is offline
You wouldn't.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-22-2020
RPXP: 8328
Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins
Posts: 6,751
Argyle had travelled abroad before. Of course he had - all across Varisia, from coast to coast, he'd plied his wares for decades. He'd seen bandits aplenty, heroes in need of supplies, and the most beautiful oases of nature one could ever imagine. But he'd never seen something like this. He gawked at its marvel from atop a large boulder, plated hand shielding his eyes from the sun. That tower was their target, and within, a person in need of an aid most noble. He didn't know this Belanar fellow, and certainly hadn't fought a troglodyte before, but Argyle knew that there had to be a first time for everything. Couldn't let his nerves get a hold of him now, could he?

Sliding down from the rock's peak, the elf looked to his company. He knew little Frostbite well - not as a travel companion, but as a fellow Absalom urbanite and friend of the family. Of course, their bond went deeper than that, but it wasn't the time for such memoriam. The others he admittedly knew less about, but had nonetheless paired with on word of their good character; Holden, Egil, and Iga would doubtless be just as valuable to him. Glancing briefly into his compass, Argyle ran his other hand through his short, grey hair and spoke with a tone of idle contempt.

"The tower beckons northward. We'd be wise to follow suit, no? No time to waste and all that."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2019, 05:36 AM
Osse's Avatar
Osse Osse is online now
Orange Pirate
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-23-2020
RPXP: 9045
Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse
Posts: 1,409
FrostbiteFrostbite had heard many things about the Pathfinder Society before, and he couldn't quite fathom how they were unable to muster up a rescue party of their own. The best explanation he could come up with was that they just didn't care for this Belanar Forsend fellow.

He couldn't quite understand why Tac Mahon sent young Egil off with them. The boy was a friggin' tavern employee. He wouldn't be of much use in their quest, unless there was plenty of food and alcohol to be served at the tower ahead, and even then he'd just be a liability.

The white-and-blue-haired gnome was drinking and catching up with Argyle when the farmer burst through the door yesterday, and gave the barkeep the note that kickstarted whatever they were doing was. How in the world did he manage to give that note to the farmer? Bah! Too many mysteries. Too late to go back now, I suppose. And it beats another typical day in the city. I just hope that Pathfinder Society bloke pays well.

"Anyone here who has experience fighting troglodytes?," he asked. "All I know is that they stink worse than Argyle's concoctions. You guys were soldiers, right? What were your names again? Old N? Eagle?"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2019, 08:19 AM
Vathe's Avatar
Vathe Vathe is offline
Pesky Goblin
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-22-2020
RPXP: 1324
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
Posts: 639
Iga Don'Darax
right-aligned image
Iga responded to Argyle's proclamation the same as he did with most things, a glance and a slow, silent nod. They had traveled for many hours to arrive here and it was not only the elf that surveyed the site with some wonder. Iga had forgotten his love for such vistas and experiences, cocooned in the time-passing daze of city life, but seeing the ancient mounds of the Cairnlands on their journey and now this monument of days past had re-lit that inspiration.

He was reminded of his own days past in them, and at Frostbite's query a queer and nostalgic smile graced the taldan man's lips. "Yes... I was once. My name was Iga," he said of himself, though it did not sound it. His voice was dry and crumbled like a hand wading through a charcoal kiln, but there was still a spark there.

Both hands wryly fingered the pommels of sickles at his belt. Yes, he had been a soldier once, knowing glory and the world across the seas. He had known battle and so much pride he had been stuffed with it. That nostalgic smile curved his lips, but then drooped suddenly with a second memory.

He had thought of it enough. Now it was time to act.

They had been drawn here today with a purpose, even the boy Egil. From his place he subtly glanced at the child, golden eyes seeing. His place here made things all the more important, even if he did not know it. Not truly.

They had been gathered here today with a purpose.

Mechanics & Status
 

 
__________________
Status: Slow

Last edited by Vathe; 10-08-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-28-2019, 02:41 AM
Maskain's Avatar
Maskain Maskain is offline
It's probably a joke.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-23-2020
RPXP: 3830
Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain
Posts: 1,358
Egil"No time to waste is right, my man. I heard trogs eat all the people they find. Catch em quick and think little about taking a nibble." Egil said. Of course, he'd heard no such thing, but. "If our guy is in here still? There isn't a reason to wait."

He looked rather confident, as always, as he should. Not a bone in Egil's body said this was a bad idea, not with so many people headed in and on their turf. Whatever a troglodyte was, they couldn't be much more a threat than any thug in the seedier spots of Absalom. Else Egil would know what they were. Simple as that.

The boy knew plenty of people with hard reputations, each with a name or a moniker that whispered sent shivers through a crowd. None of these guys were seemingly phased by a trog. And they didn't act like just any street thugs either. Though Iga looked like bum and Frostbite still had that look on his face. The look that Egil knew meant the gnome was thinking. Thinking wasn't too great when the thinker was giving him an eye every once in a while...

"Smoke means fire, so." Egil was shorter than many of them, but his cloak flew taller as he flicked it back, heroically. "Let's put this fire out."

Last edited by Maskain; 10-05-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2019, 03:24 AM
Pendragon's Avatar
Pendragon Pendragon is online now
Pendragons at Work
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-23-2020
RPXP: 7354
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
Posts: 4,652
From the Text
Quote:
The ruined siege castle now being called the Fallen Fortress
rises out of the churned earth of the Cairnlands. No doors or
windows mar the otherwise smooth expanse of the tower’s
walls. The tower is quatrefoil in plan; its eastern wing has
largely collapsed, exposing the interior floors to the open
air. Only the topmost level seems whole, though its eastern
portion hangs precariously over the mountain of rubble left
by the collapse. At ground level, the rubble frames a gaping
hole in the side of the building that provides access to the
tower’s darkened interior.

Approaching the TowerYou ascend towards the tower. (Average of group's Perception "
Dice Perception:
d20+6 (15)+6 Total = 21
"
Result). The group hear yipping near by and then a low growl as they get within a few yards of the tower. From the sides of the tower three dogs emerge from the shadows. They are snarling and look eager for a meal. They show great bravery and desperation as they approach the four of you ready to kill, they single out Raegenmaerain, likely due to his stature.

OOCSorry about the short post and copy and paste. I don't want to leave you all hanging any longer.

Let's give these mechanics a shot. I'm going to get a thread ready for encounters and another for dice. Encounters will get a map as soon as I can.

Your group perception roll won initiative, so you will be acting first.
__________________
Run two games (2/2).
Oath Taken

Last edited by Pendragon; 10-05-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2019, 07:48 AM
Vathe's Avatar
Vathe Vathe is offline
Pesky Goblin
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-22-2020
RPXP: 1324
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
Posts: 639
Iga Don'DaraxGrimly set in his belief, Iga freezes only for a moment before unlatching his sickle, recognizing the yapping barks as a manageable danger. The three hounds broke the cover of their tower quickly, standing at the top and barking out not in anger, but hungering intent. 'Wild dogs. They have likely found this to be their den,' he thought, confirming the subject to himself. Iga took two steps nearer to the others before the hounds gave one last bark and charged.

Their eyes were on Frostbite, lusting after him for his size and closer neck, but with an unlikely fleetness of foot Iga was on them before they could. The sickle in his hand was musty iron, an implement for corn fields more than war. But it was good for reaping.

With a
Dice Sickle Strike/Damage:
1d20+6sch15 (19)+6 Total = 25
→ 1d4+3g (3)+3 Total = 6
strike that curved around before the dog's head, the taldan grunted and
Dice Critical Damage:
1d4 3
hacked horribly into the hound's front. Blood sopped from the cleave, the wound rending deep into the dog's neck. The beast pawed about confusedly for a moment, jerking, before falling dead. Iga flicked the weapon, ridding it of bits of gore with an open grimace.

Mechanics & Status
 

 
__________________
Status: Slow

Last edited by Vathe; 10-07-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-07-2019, 09:35 PM
Osse's Avatar
Osse Osse is online now
Orange Pirate
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-23-2020
RPXP: 9045
Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse
Posts: 1,409
Raegenmaerain Grimwold"Heh," Frostbite smirked. "Didn't know troglodytes worked with dogs. You'd think these animals wouldn't be able to stand the smell. What the hell are they looking at?!"

The little barbarian didn't like how he was being eyed. In fact, he hated it. He ran east to the Taldan's side and activated the mechanism in his contraption of a mace, flicking its head via a spring towards the closest dog. The spiky metal ball landed with a crunch on the beast's side, likely breaking a rib or two. "Come at me then, you little mutts!" he shouted, before raising his shield and bracing for their attacks.


OOC
 

Last edited by Osse; 10-07-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 AM
Maskain's Avatar
Maskain Maskain is offline
It's probably a joke.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-23-2020
RPXP: 3830
Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain
Posts: 1,358
Egil Sundtland"Oh man, that's brutal." The sorcerer muttered, flicking his gaze between Iga and Raegenmaerain as they each took a dog to the ground with the deftness of their experience. He could hear the choking yelps as the gnome pulled back his mace.

A third dog charged in past the two. And though Egil was always ready to brawl, the young man settled into a crouch and focused ahead. The two feral dogs were likely in great pain and their kin likely didn't know what was coming to it.

Egil would give it a taste.

"Jealous mind; hungering, raging for more. Here is your passion's end." Egil spoke, in a voice his own, but not words. A curse. One of the many that calmly needled his cranium. And as the last dribbling amounts of consciousness left the two, Egil took a fragment of the hounds defenceless minds and implanted the final thoughts in the charging hound. Cruel, but, it was likely thinking about eating his face, so.

Actions and Mechanics
 

 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-2019, 01:42 PM
Muggins's Avatar
Muggins Muggins is offline
You wouldn't.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-22-2020
RPXP: 8328
Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins
Posts: 6,751
ArgyleArgyle was still feigning offense at Frostbite's comment when the wild dogs began their approach. Frankly, they were of little threat to their combined forces and easily waylaid with food; he was far more eager to enlighten his gnomish ally on the qualities of scent. But as the others went into battle, weapons swinging and curses flung, he sighed and followed suit. He wouldn't want to be seen as unprepared for the challenges still to come.

"Good point, my friend! Though I doubt they're working with them," Argyle said, uncorking a vial and letting the black, ferrofluid-like material within taste the stagnant air. Now all he had to do was add the catalyst and pick a target - that last dog, dazed by Egil, seemed like the perfect target. "More likely, they're starved by the trogs' plundering of the area," he explained, "and they've tracked us down for a chance meal!"

But as he reached for the catalyst and stared the hound down, Argyle hesitated. Stuck in a daze as it was, its eyes were empty of hate and anger; the only thing left was grief. Grief from starvation, from seeing its two packmates cut down like paper, from the terrible smell that assailed its nostrils. He checked the woods beyond, staring into their leafy shade for any sign of reinforcements, and then lowered his concoction. There was no point; it would merely run when given the chance, leaving them to face the tower alone and unassailed. His wisdom told him he'd only be wasting his time, wrath, and resources by slaying it. "Go, boy! Back to your den!" he commanded, and turned his attention towards the tower. It was in a sorry state, and was clearly quite ancient; he wondered what secrets it might hold?

OoCAction 1: We already know the answer to this out of character, but we'll go through the motions.
Dice Perception:
1d20+4 (16)+4 Total = 20
Seeking the woods for backup.
Action 2: It fits, flavour-wise.
Dice Intimidation (-4 for no shared language):
1d20-4 (5)-4 Total = 1
Demoralizing the remaining dog
Action 3: This might he useful later.
Dice Lore (Engineering):
1d20+7 (15)+7 Total = 22
Recalling Knowledge about the tower's structure and engineering.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Pendragon's Avatar
Pendragon Pendragon is online now
Pendragons at Work
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-23-2020
RPXP: 7354
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
Posts: 4,652
Tail between his legsThe last dog lets out a whimper. Acknowledging the hopelessness of his situation it turns tail, tucking it between its legs, and runs for the other ruins. It would offer no other resistance.

The hole in the tower is before you, a gaping dark hole in a crumbling mysterious tower. The only means of entry. Puff of smoke still pour from higher in the tower, hopefully you are not too late.


1st Encounter Wrap upThere is no loot to split, but I will give you all 1/8th level worth of XP. I don't have my reference open to tell you the exact amount that is >.< The next encounter might be harder. Please roll perceptions if you step over the threshold and enter the tower, and those of you without low light vision will probably want to light a torch or some other means of seeing in the dark.
__________________
Run two games (2/2).
Oath Taken
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB