Old 01-14-2020, 06:48 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
DNDAetous DNDAetous
Hello All!

Good Morning/Evening!

I've been playing MUDs for years, and over the table games for the last few months. I have decided that I'm not getting enough RP in my life, so I've decided to join the PbP community as well.

I have played and DM'd some DnD 5e, but might try out a few other systems once I've got the hang of how things work around here.

Looking forward to going on adventures with all of you!
Old 01-14-2020, 06:57 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 61022
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

Not enough RP? You've come to the right place. You can load up your plate with RP, like Squeak at a BBQ Buffet!

Enjoy!
Old 01-14-2020, 07:10 PM
Electrum DM 2019

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11404
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Welcome to the site, DNDAetous! I keep on hearing about these MUD things, but I don't know that I've ever played one. Not that I want to add anything to my plate. Based on peoples descriptions, it sounds kind of like an MMORPG, except run by text, like you're playing Zork or something. Is that anywhere close to reality? If so, yikes!

While there are things that I like about many systems and editions, I'm growing a soft spot for DnD 5E. And it's certainly popular around here! So your experience playing and DMing it will treat you well! But we tons of game systems recruiting all the time around here. Sometimes you'll even see people recruiting for game systems that they designed themselves!

If you've got any questions for us, ask away! We're happy to help.

Now Recruiting: The Fickle Tendrils of Fate
Old 01-14-2020, 07:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24761
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

Glad to hear you're looking to try something new! It's one of play by post's greatest strengths, plenty of time between posts to double check rules, plan out your actions, and think of witty one liners.

I suggest you try out Shadowrun, it's my favorite game and has quite the dedicated following. Legend of the Five Rings is having quite the Renaissance and FATE just recently got its own new player solo game though if you'd like the full experience!

Pathfinder and D D5 may be the big dogs around here but you can find just about anything if you're patient enough!

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
Old 01-14-2020, 08:52 PM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1034
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
Welcome to RPG Crossing.

In addition to all of the recommendations above, I'll add Call of Cthulhu to the list of games you should try. Sanity is overrated.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:31 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DNDAetous DNDAetous
Quote:
Welcome to the site, DNDAetous! I keep on hearing about these MUD things, but I don't know that I've ever played one. Not that I want to add anything to my plate. Based on peoples descriptions, it sounds kind of like an MMORPG, except run by text, like you're playing Zork or something. Is that anywhere close to reality? If so, yikes!
That about sums it up, though player numbers are a bit smaller (between 5-200 players online at once, on average). Most allow you some sort of item creation or customization ability within the scope of the game world, so you can set up the story and actions of characters.

Quote:
I suggest you try out Shadowrun, it's my favorite game and has quite the dedicated following. Legend of the Five Rings is having quite the Renaissance and FATE just recently got its own new player solo game though if you'd like the full experience!
Quote:
In addition to all of the recommendations above, I'll add Call of Cthulhu to the list of games you should try. Sanity is overrated.
I'll certainly take a look at those. I'm a fan of (some) of the Cthulhu board games and books, so I might have to give that a go eventually.

Last edited by chocoladevla; 01-15-2020 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:47 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21911
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Goodmorning DNDAetous,

Welcome over here and I hope you have fun exploring the site :-)
Do you have any questions so far we can help you with?
Old 01-15-2020, 10:07 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26395
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
I may have dabbled in MUDs at one point....

Welcome to RPG Crossing! Have fun exploring, and if you have any questions please ask!
Old 01-15-2020, 02:51 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DNDAetous DNDAetous
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoladevla View Post
Goodmorning DNDAetous,

Welcome over here and I hope you have fun exploring the site :-)
Do you have any questions so far we can help you with?
Definitely am. Reading through some of the nominated Hall of Fame games while I wait in the queue for the tutorial game!

Does anyone have any suggestions for game threads that best show off the features of the site? Understandably , a lot of the actual rolls and mechanical stuff are hidden from the game threads. Would be nice to read through one where things are a bit more mixed in so I can get a good idea of how things generally work behind the scenes.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:22 PM
Electrum DM 2019

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11404
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
I'm not sure what you mean by "features of the site"-- I assume you mean technical features? There's the Site Help and Rules, and specifically the bottom section-- the Board FAQ. Most of it's pretty hum-drum stuff about how the profiles work, searching threads, etc. A guide to vBulletin and this specific implementation. But the sections on BBcode and the Dice Roller can tell you how to do some of the fancy stuff. There's a guy around here named Gaijin that does really cool stuff with the table code. His tablemancy thread shows off some of his cool stuff. But beyond that, I think just poking around some games-- including the HoF games!-- can show you how people tend to use the site's functions.

Now Recruiting: The Fickle Tendrils of Fate
Old 01-16-2020, 05:04 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DNDAetous DNDAetous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "features of the site"-- I assume you mean technical features? There's the Site Help and Rules, and specifically the bottom section-- the Board FAQ. Most of it's pretty hum-drum stuff about how the profiles work, searching threads, etc. A guide to vBulletin and this specific implementation. But the sections on BBcode and the Dice Roller can tell you how to do some of the fancy stuff. There's a guy around here named Gaijin that does really cool stuff with the table code. His tablemancy thread shows off some of his cool stuff. But beyond that, I think just poking around some games-- including the HoF games!-- can show you how people tend to use the site's functions.
Those links are great, thanks!