Notices

Old 01-10-2020, 08:39 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 301
Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal
Seeking East Asia themed game

Hi there! I'm currently looking for a game for one of my characters. Specifically, I'm looking for a game set in a vaguely asian setting; specifically Japan, since that's what I'm most familiar with, but there's nothing saying that there couldn't be a blend of various East Asian cultures used for inspiration. I could be willing to look at other systems other than 5e, but 5e seems pretty versatile and easy to make slight adjustments to in order to fit different settings, so it's what I default to.

In any case, the reason I'm looking for something in this sort of setting is because I want a place I can play the following character -- Below are actually two different versions of the character. The first is a low level (Like, 1-2) version. The second is a higher leveled version, much further along in her story, with a lot more experience under her belt.

Forgive me if I ramble a bit toward the end -- It's getting very late and I'm getting progressively more tired the more time I spend writing this! Either way, I hope it gives you enough to give you an idea of the sort of game I'm looking for, and the sort of character I want to play in it.

Last edited by Mechaniacal; 01-10-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:34 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41274
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
I know there are long standing games on this site that are East Asian in theme, but I'm not sure if any of them are 5e. Do you know any other systems well enough to be happy with them, Mechaniacal? Just in case that information might be the difference between finding a DM or not...
Old 01-10-2020, 03:57 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
I don't know many other systems, to be honest... M&M 3e, but that doesn't seem super well suited to the sort of game I'm looking for. I'd be willing to learn other systems if they could be easily adapted to fit though.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:47 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 389
Therru Therru Therru Therru
Hi Mechaniacal - thanks for posting your character, she was a lot of fun to read about! I'm relatively new to the site and I've been thinking about DMing a game here; I'm not at all familiar with fantastical East Asian settings, but it does sound like a fun place to start for a game of DnD with a slightly different flavour.

No promises, but you've got my worldbuilding cogs turning, so to speak And I'd love to hear more about your setting, and the Fog Lands in particular!
Old 01-19-2020, 01:44 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 66
Chylopan
Hey there,

Long-time lurker first time poster, almost made this thread a while back. Now that someone else bit the bullet I suppose it'd be remiss of me not to throw my hat in the ring now that the hard part is done.

Been searching for an East Asian themed game, maybe you've found one already or are in the midst of conjuring one up. Either way, if something's brewing or you've found one would you mind letting me know? I've got a handful of characters drafted much like you that I've been itching to put to use.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:22 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
I'll let you know if something comes up. I probably wont be starting another game for a while, myself -- but I'd be willing to play in one like this.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:00 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 578
BlindScribe BlindScribe BlindScribe BlindScribe BlindScribe BlindScribe
It's recruiting, actually inspired by this request.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:49 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 389
Therru Therru Therru Therru
I'm throwing some ideas around - East Asian inspired, if not particularly foggy. Watch this space... (or actually, watch Games Seeking Players)
Old 01-22-2020, 11:03 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 730
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
I've run and played in a few Japanese-themed games.

In my opinion, by far and away the best gaming system for Asian-themed games, particularly those that involve heavy Wuxia elements, is BESM (Big Eyes Small Mouth). I would, if I was running such a game, combine the game mechanics of BESM with the heavy background material found in the appropriate GURPS module (for example, GURPS: Japan).

It's possible to adapt some mainstream games (like GURPS, or even D&D) to suit a Wuxia game, but it's not a natural fit. And I'm not sure I really recommend it. By comparison, BESM is literally made to fit the genre.

Last edited by telcontar; 01-22-2020 at 11:04 AM.