RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 06:03 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4825
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlplay View Post
Hi. I'm not familiar with the Cypher system but this sounded kind of interesting to me. I'll just run my character concept past you and see where it goes from there...

Aside: Hi Rook! No surprise finding you here, I guess. It's been too long.
Hello girlplay. Yes, we do need to keep meeting like this, we just need to do it a bit more frequently.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:03 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12810
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
That's a great character concept, girlplay and I love that you already have a story arc in mind. In terms of being an adjective noun who verbs, you have plenty of options. The Cypher System has some great descriptors (the adjective) that sound negative but still give you good benefits. Without looking at anything she sounds like A Craven Adept who Rides the Lightning. I don't know how that would look 'on paper' but it might be a starting point. If you wanted to accentuate her gnomishness you could make her a Speaker instead of an Adept, you could add "flavored with combat" to reflect her military training, etc.

If you don't have the Cypher System rules, let me know what I can do to help you flesh out you character. Also, there is a gnome society very near Hommlet which would be a natural place for her to come from.
I don't have the Cypher rules. All I have is the Player's Guide for The Strange. As for the descriptive sentence, I don't really know what the pieces that you quoted mean. Speaker, adept, craven, rides the lightning... that's all new to me. Sorry if that makes more work for you. All her military experience is actually theoretical - maybe that's why her plan was such a disaster. But whatever you think will work best, I'm sure it will turn out fine.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:23 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 752
Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk
I'm sorry, Girlplay. That's my fault. I responded to your post while Rook and I were zinging PMs back and forth and got ahead of myself with you.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:45 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Here is my take, using Ara as an example.

First, how does the character solve problems? With a weapon (warrior), with spells (Adept), by charming people (Speaker), or with innate cunning (Explorer)? For example, Ara would be a ‘wizard’ in 5e parlance, but at the end of the day, he solves problems with sword and bow. Warrior becomes his ‘type’ or noun.

Second, what is the characters ‘signature’ ability. For Ara, it is casting illusions. So, he is a Warrior who creates illusions.

Third is the descriptor or what best describes the character (e.g., Strong, Brave, Intelligent). In games with multiple races, it is possible (but not required) for the race to be a descriptor - e.g., Ara could be a Creative Warrior or an Elven Warrior. In this case, Elves happen to have proficiency with perception and stealth. Both of which sound good for an illusionist.

Ara becomes an Elven Warrior who Creates illusions. BTW, I swaped so some ‘warrior’ abilities for ‘Adept’ (magic) abilities to make him work a bit more like a Magic-User. So, Ara is neither as good a fighter as a straight-up Warrior nor as good a spell-caster as a straight Adept.

Bottom line, do not worry about what type, foci or descriptors ‘exist’ just tell us what best describes your character. If there is not a ‘close’ match in the lists, Kerchunk can help you tailor what you want.

Last edited by purplerook; 01-20-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1354
Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath
ApplicationName: Doak Orcbasher
right-aligned image

Class: Hardy dwarven warrior who looks for trouble.

Background -- Public: It seems that even the dwarves have their limits, and Doak Orcbasher was a dwarf who crossed the line one too many times. Whether it was brawling in a tavern or "borrowing" a mine car to take a quick ride through the tunnels, Doak liked to stir the pot. Finally, in exasperation, the Dwarven Thane cast Doak from the mines until such time as he learned to behave like a 'civil' dwarf. Now Doak has wandered the lands of Greyhawk, selling his hammer to the highest bidder.

Background -- Private: Doak is loyal to his friends though hot-tempered. The dwarven warrior prizes adventure, but deep inside he longs to return to his dwarven home in the mines. He has enough curmudgeon in him to want to come back with extraordinary wealth, though, so he can prove to the others that he is a great warrior. Because of this, he's always on the lookout for ways to earn some gold, jewels, or -- preferably -- magic items!

Old 01-20-2020, 01:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hi Grimbreath and welcome to the game A Dwarf looking for trouble and two Elves, what could possibly go wrong.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Kerchunk,

The book talks about using a Shield as an asset for Speed Defense. However, a Shield is not in the limited list of fantasy items. do Shields exist? Can a character who is Trained without Armor, wield a shield?

Also, there are Light and Heavy Crossbows which count as Medium and Heavy Weapons respectively. Note the Heavy Crossbow is a Very Expensive Item and so not available to starting characters. However, there is only one type of bow (Medium Weapon). How about some type of bow that acts as a 'Heavy Bow'?

BTW, I managed to find one of the early Ara Backgrounds

And I still owe you an RP example...
Old 01-20-2020, 09:33 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Rook: Sounds like your character can do everything.

So, using your method, 1) Waywocket is definitely a sorcerer, so that's an Adept in this system. 2) Signature ability? I guess that's something like "Throws lightning". 3) I don't like that she's being locked into just one narrow category of abilities because she's smart and charming enough to be able to adapt her style to the situation. That's it: her adjective is "Adaptable".

That makes her an "Adaptable Adept who Throws Lightning".
Old 01-20-2020, 11:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath
This sounds like it will be fun group. I'll be interested to see how Cypher works in PBP.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:14 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 752
Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk
Rook, while the Trained Without Armor ability says "while wearing armor," and a shield isn't technically that, the idea seems to be remaining light and fast to avoid attacks while having a shield seems to be a different type of action, blocking the attack. The character example in the book is a modern day warrior type who uses a knife as a "shield" but that is something that seems to grow organically out of the character's background and I don't think that's what you're asking about.

I'll give some thought to the bow question while I'm at work today.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlplay View Post
Rook: Sounds like your character can do everything.

So, using your method, 1) Waywocket is definitely a sorcerer, so that's an Adept in this system. 2) Signature ability? I guess that's something like "Throws lightning". 3) I don't like that she's being locked into just one narrow category of abilities because she's smart and charming enough to be able to adapt her style to the situation. That's it: her adjective is "Adaptable".

That makes her an "Adaptable Adept who Throws Lightning".
Girlplay, you know what they say: Jack-of-All-Trades and Master-of-None. Ara does not fight as well as a pure Warrior and does not spell cast as well as a pure Adept.

There is no reason (other than personal preference) for Waysocket to be an 'Adept' in Cypher. As an example, there is a Foci (Rides the Lightening) has an ability - Shock. Shock allows the user to shock an opponent with 3 points of damage using their hands, or electrify their weapon and does one point of damage. So, Adepts and Warrior could both use (albeit differently) Rides the Lightening.

One more piece to the puzzle, at one point you mentioned Waywrocket believing that her power came from the gods. There is a Foci (Channel Divinity) and an Ability (Blessing of the Gods) that allows the character to chose two abilities based on their 'Gods' sphere of influence. I could see Waywrocket being able to call or throw lightning based on her God be associated with Storms.

In terms of adaptability, there is an ability called Flex Skill. The ability allows a character to choose to be skilled with a different skill at the dawn of each day. Also, there is the Creative Descriptor (trained in coming up with something new and learning new things). Also, there is a Blessing of the Gods that allows the character to give several characters an asset (reduce the difficulty) of a task as long as they are in the immediate range of the character.

Hopefully, this has helped open up the options for your character rather than confuse you.

Last edited by purplerook; 01-23-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
Rook, while the Trained Without Armor ability says "while wearing armor," and a shield isn't technically that, the idea seems to be remaining light and fast to avoid attacks while having a shield seems to be a different type of action, blocking the attack. The character example in the book is a modern day warrior type who uses a knife as a "shield" but that is something that seems to grow organically out of the character's background and I don't think that's what you're asking about.

I'll give some thought to the bow question while I'm at work today.
Kerchunk,

Let me tell you a couple of ‘effects’ that I am looking for, and they may not well be available at 1st Tier.

First, Bladesingers (2nd level Wizard) get to add their Int Modifier into their Armor Class. BTW, Bladesingers have poor HP (d6 vs. d10 for fighters) and so cannot take many solid hits. Ara with a 10 Might pool and no armor is in the same boat, two to three solid hits will put him down. So, I’m looking for something that will allow Ara to reduce his ability to be hit. This could potentially be merely letting him ‘Specialize’ Speed Defense. However, it would be nice (unbalanced ?) to have an asset as well as a skill to minimize getting hit.

Second, Ara’s signature combat spell is Blur (3rd level Wizard), this gives an opponent Disadvantage on attacks. Possibly this could be represented as a spell (Action to cast and Intellect Point cost) to provide an asset to Speed Defense.

Having written the two things above, I think you are right. We can best represent ‘Blade Singing’ as a skill - Speed Defense, which he currently has 'Trained' and at some point in time will take as ‘Specialized’. I think the Asset to Speed Defense can best be represented as a spell - possibly available at Tier 2.

BTW, 7th level Wizards get ‘Greater Invisibility’, which allows them to be Invisible in Combat (Advantage on attacks and opponents have a disadvantage on attacking the character).

Last edited by purplerook; 01-21-2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:39 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerook View Post
One more piece to the puzzle, at one point you mentioned Waywrocket believing that her power came from the gods. There is a Foci (Channel Divinity) and an Ability (Blessing of the Gods) that allows the character to chose two abilities based on their 'Gods' sphere of influence. I could see Waywocket being able to call or throw lightning based on her God be associated with Storms.

In terms of adaptability, there is an ability called Flex Skill. The ability allows a character to choose to be skilled with a different skill at the dawn of each day. Also, there is the Creative Descriptor (trained in coming up with something new and learning new things). Also, there is a Blessing of the Gods that allows the character to give several characters an asset (reduce the difficulty) of a task as long as they are in the immediate range of the character.

Hopefully, this has helped open up the options for your character rather than confuse you.
I like the way that the throwing lightning based on the channel divinity and blessing of the gods sounds. It kind of makes her a sorcerer-cleric hybrid, which is kind of neat. In 4th edition D&D, I think that was called an Invoker. A melee-range zap is nice, but not exactly her style. Then again, I don't want her to be useless if somebody gets up close.

As for the adjective... I guess creative is closest to what I was thinking.

And yes, Adept fits the character best, I think.

Last edited by girlplay; 01-21-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Being new to Cypher, I'll be interested to see how this translates into PBP. For instance, according to the rules the players roll everything; the monsters don't make attack rolls but instead we make "defense" rolls. Damage is more standardized. I could see combat moving very quickly (or at least relatively quickly for a PBP game!)
Old 01-21-2020, 11:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbreath View Post
Being new to Cypher, I'll be interested to see how this translates into PBP. For instance, according to the rules the players roll everything; the monsters don't make attack rolls but instead, we make "defense" rolls. Damage is more standardized. I could see combat moving very quickly (or at least relatively quickly for a PBP game!)
@grimbreath, I have not played a whole lot of PbP Cypher. However, my little experience of combat is that the combats tend to go a bit faster. The PCs and monsters tend to have a smaller hit point pool and after a round or two of combat, one side or the other has decided that they don't want to be in the combat.

@girlplay, I think a Creative Adept who Channels Divinity will be neat. My suggestion is to chat with kerchunk a bit about the descriptor, the base descriptor has an Inability(You are inventive, but not Charming all tasks relating to pleasant social interaction are hindered). There are rules for creating/modifying descriptors, so you could drop a skill (I think) or choose a different inability.