Notices

Old 04-26-2019, 10:56 PM
One who has seen the end

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1094
Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei Tydorei
5e Monk

Ok... so random thought here... But looking at the 5e Ranger and the 5e Monk... the ranger takes a dump on the monk... I mean, besides the ranger archtype with the animal companion, base ranger is better than monk in every way...

My question is, how come there has never been a Monk Revised UA? I mean, the monk is the least picked class for a reason.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:28 PM
Work-In-Progress

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 276
Tom the Bombadil Tom the Bombadil Tom the Bombadil
I don't think there's been a revised Monk released in UA because it seems already to be a pretty strong class. Let's take a quick peek.

At low level, a monk can pack a whole lot of punch (heehee, punch). For the upcoming math, we're gonna use a wood elf monk with standard array for stats.

Wood Elf Monk
Str: 12 (+1)
Dex: 16 (+3)
Con: 13 (+1)
Int: 10 (+0)
Wis: 16 (+3)
Cha: 8 (-1)

With unarmored defense, this Monk starts with an AC of 16. After several ability score increases, this will eventually become 20. When you're barechesting in combat, that's not half bad.

With martial arts, you can unarmed attack twice in a turn immediately at 1st level. With a +5 to hit and a 1d4+3 on each attack, that adds up pretty quick. At 2nd level, you can spend ki to get a third attack. At 5th level, you gain the actual extra attack ability so if you spend your ki, you can attack four times in the same turn. Fighters can't do that until 20th level! (Unless they use action surge) With the martial arts die gradually increasing, the damage gets REAL.

The next time you look at Monk, take a closer look. I could go into way more detail about the power and coolness of the class, but I want to try to be somewhat impartial. To be honest, I love ranger almost as much as monk.

In 5e, all the classes are fairly balanced. There really isn't a need for a revised monk.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:33 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 82
Alysm
I'd also chime in that the utility of stunning strike, when combined with other goodies from the monk kits or party composition, is nothing to sneeze at. Especially considering a monk's mobility.

You can also have just as much fun decoupling the monk you play from the concept of a 'wise and peaceful warrior-scholar' as you can playing to the trope.