RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 9th, 2020, 01:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4256
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
I'll close this to further applicants.

Since you are both applying for both slots, the players will vote for:

Option 1) Ekryzor - Restorer/Herb Witch and Tanis Halfborn - Swashbuckler

OR

Option 2) Prudence Goodfellow - Empiricist and Dennis Krispin - Urban Barbarian / Chirurgeon
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
The characters admitted are:

Ekryzor - Restorer/Herb Witch and Tanis Halfborn - Swashbuckler

Thanks for your interest.

Post those characters to this folder: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18384

Make all the decisions needed to finalize your builds (skills, spells, gear, etc.). Keep in mind that I will need to review the characters closely, check your math & etc, and also make sure that any background details are adjusted if necessary if they are inconsistent with some aspect of this game world. You'll start in a side thread that will join up with the main party at some point as they are at the end stages of a prolonged Chapter 1 adventure.
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 12:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
We have a player withdrawing from this game -- so I would invite a new player to join, so that we stay at 6 active players.

If we have multiple viable applications to join, I will have the existing players vote on who to admit.

Please see the original post for the setting and scenario, and character build rules. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Oct 25th, 2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 09:31 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 921
Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude
What role needs to be filled (i.e. healer, ranged, utility)?
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 10:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
The game has a:
- melee brick (dwarf brawler/sentinel)
- melee offense (human bloodrager)
- healing and support spells (druid)
- ranged attacker (halfling ranger)
- face/multipurpose (human rogue/inquisitor)

Some things that could be useful are:
- crowd control
- technologist

The character being replaced is a swashbuckler, and the team found themselves melee heavy.

See the notes I added at the beginning of the original post in this thread for more of the context.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Oct 25th, 2020 at 10:59 PM.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 01:21 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude
Would a 3-armed alchemist/ gunslinger half-elf work?
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 11:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
That could work.

3-armed people are certainly rare and half-elves uncommon -- so he will get some curious glances, as did the last alchemist who was a promethean sort.

If you were interested in an alchemist based on science & technology not on magic, there is an option here:
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...59#post8790759. (In this game magic and science are ultimately opposed, as they fall under opposing religious & philosophical frameworks. This matters more at higher levels.)

Guns Almost Everywhere: Guns are commonplace. Early firearms are gradually becoming antiques as advanced firearms are slowly replacing them. Firearms are simple weapons. Early firearms and their ammunition are 10% of listed costs. Advanced firearms and ammunition are 50% of their listed cost. Firearms are Martial Weapons, not exotic. The gunslinger loses the gunsmith class feature and instead gains the gun training class feature at 1st level.

A majority of elves in this region of the Sphere are from the Anarchy of Lormany, a region of diverse tribes and many small kingdoms. Elves used to regard the human-led nation of Azerka with sympathy, until an unprovoked act of aggression annexed a portion of Lorman territory and overthrew one of their gods. (See "Sunnycorner".) Now elves are often wary, suspicious or even hostile toward humans. You don't have to reference any of those elements in a character origin, but it's part of the region's backstory.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Oct 26th, 2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 12:56 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 356
17fromgreatness 17fromgreatness 17fromgreatness 17fromgreatness
@interested candidates - IMO the Party is short some kind of spell caster (Crowd Control) though a variety of options along these lines are available.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 02:50 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
We have a former player running a clocksmith wizard interested in returning (OneDarkness running Quincy). So consider a pure wizard (and crafter) slot as taken ... but I'll still consider +1 other new character.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 04:30 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Completed Application
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Fusilier "Fuse" Granados
Race: Half-Elf
Classes: Gunslinger (musketeer master) 1/ Alchemist (Grenadier/Technochemist) 3
Appearance: Fuse is a half elf in his mid-30s. His above average height (by human standards), the scars on his face, and extra right arm make him stand out in a crowd.
Personality: Fusilier enjoys learning and practicing the sciences, in particular alchemy and engineering. Being introverted, he finds more pleasure in working on his firearms and incendiaries than in the company of other people. His trust is hard to earn, but also hard to lose. Due to being ridiculed as a child for his heritage, he has adopted a bit of a contrarian nature, seeking to disprove claims of lacking ability in whatever aspect. The glasgow grin on the left side of his face has left him somewhat self-conscious. He has a strong dislike for elf magic, associating it with the father who abandoned him. Having helped his mother for several years, he has a soft spot for single mothers and fatherless children. His time in the Azerka armed forces has left him with a perfectionistic attitude and being disposed to collaborating with others. The teasing he endured as a child has left him with sympathy for other half-breeds.
Backstory: The child of two worlds, his father an elf from Lormany, his mother was from Azerka. Due to his status as a "half-breed", Fusilier could never visit Lormany and see his father. He was raised by his mother in Azerka. Teased as a child for being "half-barbarian", he'd to the library and study. His rationale was that if he was smarter than them, he'd prove them wrong. Discovering his knack towards alchemy and crafting, he threw himself into his studies. He'd use those skills eventually to start earning money for the household.

When he was 10 years old, a swarm of monsters attacked the village where he lived. Seeing how the soldiers used alchemy to defend the people, Fusilier found his life's goal. As soon as he could, he joined the Azerkan army. After receiving basic training as an infantryman (gunslinger-musketeer), he was assigned to the engineers' corps (alchemist-grenadier/technochemist). There he received training in technology, firearms, gunsmithing and explosives. During a patrol near the border of Azerka and Lomarny, his squad was assaulted by one of the tribal brigand bands. When the battle was pitched, he was struck in a surpised attack from a barbarian. He survived, but it left him with a nasty scar on the left side of his face. Following that attack, Fusilier spent the rest of his term working in the armory.

Nowadays hires out his services as an alchemist, technologist, gunsmith, or soldier.

A few questions before finalizing the build:

(1. The rules for "Guns Almost Everywhere" states "The gunslinger loses the gunsmith class feature and instead gains the gun training class feature at 1st level." but for the feat "Azerkan Born: Gun Proud it states" " Gunsmith, including a free starting weapon as described, and +4 CMD to resist any disarm attempt when holding a gun. You may use a firearm to make improvised weapon attacks of opportunity without the usual -4 penalty. If you take the Gunslinger class then you may retrain the Gunsmith ability given by this feat for another combat feat.". It seems like the gunslinger has the starting gunsmith feat taken away by the rules meaning it has to be learned again by using a feat. Or am I misunderstanding the rules?

(2. Can the improvisational technochemist work with the grenadier archetype?

(3. For the Gunslinger (musketeer master), they get weapon training (musket) at 5th level. Following the rules for "Guns Almost Everywhere", would he have that training at Gunslinger 1st lvl?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fusilier Granados.png
Views:	62
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	87707

Last edited by Schroedingerdude; Oct 28th, 2020 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Added question 3; completed application 27-Oct; updated application 28-Oct
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 05:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
1) Because firearms crafting, guns and ammo are commonly available, a gunslinger no longer is obliged to be heavily investing in crafting their own guns and ammo but could rely on buying their gear.

So the gunslinger class can pick up Gun Focus instead. (Optionally, I would allow you to forfeit gun focus to retain Gunsmith, but I think most players would stronger prefer the latter.)

If you take Gun Proud and do not have Gunsmith, then Gun Proud gives you Gunsmith back (and the option to trade it away for another martial feat is not available.)

2) Yes. You'd forfeit the abilities to brew (technological) potions, and various upgrades which support poison use, and would just be a more narrowly focused chemist.

3) Yes, the Guns Almost Everywhere modified Gun Training to come 4 levels earlier, and it would have the effect on that archetype of pulling the musket training 4 levels earlier.

(The fact that Musket Training is written with respect to two handed firearms and *not* just muskets is potentially huge, especially at higher levels when old fashioned muskets become obsolete.)

Last edited by CatCanCook; Oct 26th, 2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 09:15 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for answering my questions!

Sorry for the holdup. I've been trying to calibrate this character to be compliant with game rules

3 more questions came up:

(4. about the "Feat Tax". I'd like to take the "precise shot" feat. Problem is that it requires "point blank shot" to take it. "Point Blank" is one of the problematic feats mentioned on that website. Would I be able to take both due to the "buy one, get one free"?

(5. Can I take 2 drawbacks for an extra 2 feats? I was thinking "Scarred" and "Oppressive Expectations"/"Impatient"

(6. Can I take away points from another stat to give to another for the 20pt build? I was thinking of reducing CHA to 8.

If I'm optimizing this character way too much, please let me know. I was aiming (pun intended) for a sniper/bomber/technologist combo
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 09:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
4) Yes

5) No, only one.

6) Yes you can reduce a stat down to as low as 7. I do expect below average stats to be roleplayed and treated as real disadvantages. Otherwise, OK.
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 02:44 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
My application for Fusilier (Fuse) Granados is complete and ready for review!
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 11:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Schroedingerdude -

Starting level is now 4th. (Existing PCs are all 4th or 5th level.)

You're misspelling Lormany. It's like Germany with Ge=>Lo.

"When selecting traits, you may not select more than one from the same list of traits (the four basic traits each count as a separate list for this purpose). " (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/#TOC...rait-Selection). So trade one of two the combat traits for something else.

Re: "two advanced technology craft skills are class skills" -- example options are:
- Craft (electronic)
- Craft (mechanical)
- Craft (biotech)
- Computer Use

Advanced technology is taught by the Church of Azerka, or by specific institutions in cities or states in anti-magic zones. Example places are: the Unapproachable Kingdom, the city-state of Sapphire Lake in the Great Spine mountains, and the central plateau of Azerka.

Note that advanced technology (using electricity, fusion, force fields) -- only works in null or anti-magic regions, or if one has Consensus alignment and attunement feats.

OK, next step: develop a character sheet.