RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 18th, 2021, 09:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4306
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
@triedtherest - some feedback on your character

I calculate you stats as costing 22 build points, but you only get 20 -- so it looks like you are two over budget. Show your math if you disagree.

Str 10 [cost 0]
Dex 14 [cost 5]
Con 16 [cost 5 +2 race]
Int 18 [cost 7, +2 race, +1 6th level]
Wis 10 [cost 0]
Cha 12 [cost 5, -2 race]

Molekin have the same life expectancy as humans, so at age 32 you are close to middle age (35). Do you want to maybe start a couple years younger?

Molekin have the same height and weight stats as dwarves.

Your character sheet shows 72 skill points, but you get: 6(levels) * (4(alchemist) + 4(int) + 2(background)) = 60. So it looks like you are 12 ranks over target.

If you want to know the town, you can take one or more ranks of Lore (Nesterak).

You haven't selected traits. (Alternate racial traits are swaps, they don't use your trait slots.)

Molekin use the same Favored Class Bonuses as dwarves.

Alchemist tip: one of the best ways to add to your formulae book is buying potions and then using this: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items...mula-alembic/# . (Caution -- not all extracts can be turned into potions, the limit on potions is: "It can duplicate the effect of a spell of up to 3rd level that has a casting time of less than 1 minute and targets one or more creatures or objects")
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 03:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2414
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Thanks for the feedback for Daar so far.

-Yes, I miscalculated his Stats, taken a point off Charisma (which had cost 2 Build Points) so that should be in budget now.

-I prefer to play a slightly older character, so approaching middle age is fine, unless there is an in-game reason why he shouldn't be.

-I'm splitting the difference in the Skill disparity. Originally, Daar had taken the Leadership Sphere (which gave free ranks in Diplomacy), when I decided to ditch that part of the build I forgot to take off the skill ranks. The other six Skill ranks are from his Favoured Class Bonus.

-I hadn't got round to Traits yet, I'm debating the legality/cheesiness of some of them (Accelerated Drinker, for example)

-Speaking of buying things, how much gold would the characters have?

-Wouldn't knowing about the town be covered under Knowledge: Local?

Last edited by triedtherest; Apr 19th, 2021 at 03:25 AM.
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 09:54 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Knowledge (local) can be used to know facts about the city but it is a broader skill than Lore (Nesterak). Knowledge (local) will tell you broader information -- about humanoids, neighboring cities and civilizations, etc. Lore, being focused has advantages that I'll reflect in differing DCs. Anyway ... not a big deal, just an option.

Still looking for +3 players. We've had interest expressed but only one PC developed so far.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 19th, 2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 10:29 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Is PC Wealth By Level being used, ie 16,000 GP at sixth level?

Also, can we reduce the cost of some of our starting equipment if we could craft it ourselves?

Last edited by triedtherest; Apr 19th, 2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 05:03 PM
Truthwatcher

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2106
Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387 Fyre2387
Urthog Goran
left-aligned image

Name: Urthog Goran
Race: Greenblood Orc
Class: Slayer
Traits: Memorable, Auspicious Tattoo

Physical Description: The first thing one would tend to notice about Urthog is that he’s big. Standing over seven feet tall with a thickly muscled build, he stands out even among his orc kin. He has greenish skin topped with a mop of bright red hair. He has various tattoos over much of his body. Most of them have some kind of traditional or ceremonial significance, but if asked he can’t usually remember exactly what they mean. He likes the way they look, though.

Personality: Many people would think of Urthog as a simple man, but that's not really the case. While it's true that he's not especially "intellectually inclined", there are depths to his personality that might be surprising. Many find his sheer size and strength intimidating, and it’s true that he does use his bulk to frighten enemies, often to great effect. However, he can also be surprisingly kind and gentle, particularly with children and small animals.He has something of a knack with animals, most especially his pet ferret named Fezzik that he loves dearly. His exposure to the darker sides of Nesterak through his work with the Black Lotus left him with something of a distaste for lies and secrets, but he understands they are sometimes necessary.

Background: As far back as he can remember, Urhtog was always bigger and stronger than his peers. When he was a child, many other children sought to befriend him out of a combination of fear of being his enemy and a desire to have him on their side. He was always a bit gullible, though, and believed they were really his friends. As time went on, he gained a reputation as something of a bully, but it was really more him being manipulated by people around him. When he grew older, he started to see the reputation he had and the way he’d been used. It didn’t seem fair; just because he was bigger and stronger it didn’t mean everyone should be afraid of him.

On reaching adulthood, he enlisted in the army. It seemed like a good thing for him to do, and he didn’t really know how to do much else. Officers quickly took note of his extraordinary size and strength and selected him for advanced training. He struggled with the more intellectual aspects, but found a natural affinity for martial skills and soon became a great fighter. He was assigned to do “special” assignments, some working with the Black Lotus secret police. At first he excelled, but he came to realize he was being used much the same way he’d been as a child. When his tour of duty ended, he decided not to reenlist, much to the dismay of his superiors. Now he takes occasional odd jobs, mostly working as a guard or laborer, but he’s also gotten in contact with the resistance. Quite simply, he resents the way he’s been used all of his life, and wants to strike back at the “bullies” once and for all.

Last edited by Fyre2387; Apr 24th, 2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 06:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@triedtherest - yes, starting wealth is 16,000gp.

@Fyre2387 - for Urthog, a good start. But also think about what about your character's personality will make him fun to play, and what in his skills or abilities he can exercise when it's not combat time -- which is half the game. Not saying he should be a skillmonger, but ... I've seen players who generated a nothing-but-combat build come to regret it after a couple months. (If you look at my games the go back and forth between sometimes extensive out-of-combat storytelling, and sometimes extensive combats - often tactical and gritty.)

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 19th, 2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 11:56 AM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6426
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
Grumm Turkin
left-aligned image

Name: Grumm Turkin
Race: Molekin
Class: School Savant Arcanist (Wood school)

Personality

For the most part, Grumm is quiet and studious, and would prefer to avoid confrontation. These are all valuable traits when you are a slave, where making noise can very quickly mean getting in very deep trouble. Most of the time, youíd likely find him with his nose in a book, or failing that, out in the woods examining interesting trees. He has a passion for those slaves still in captivity, though, both molekin and other races. He has experienced firsthand the helpless feeling of having no control over your own life, no hope for your future, and he is determined to someday see every slave in Nesterak free.

Background

For most of Grummís life, slavery was all he knew. He was born into the servitude of a wealthy orchard owner. Although the young mole wasnít physically cut out for the heavy manual labor involved in working the orchard, his master still managed to find a use for him. His keen intellect was put to work, learning all about trees and how to care for them. Grumm spent a great deal of time in the library, carefully studying any text on dendrology that could be found. His favorite hours, though, were those he spent out in the orchards, putting into practice what he had learned. He loved his trees (of course, they actually belonged to his master, but thatís how he thought of them), and the hours he spent tending and watching them grow were almost enough to make him forget he was a slave. What usually brought him back down to reality was watching his fellow slaves toil endlessly in the hot sun. He was lucky; his particular skill set meant that he was valuable and thus treated well. Others were not so fortunate. As much as the matter weighed on him, though, he eventually accepted that there was nothing he could do about it.

Grummís life took an abrupt turn when he discovered his master had sold the orchard. Or rather, he had sold the land; the new owner didnít care about the orchard itself. To Grummís horror, all of his beloved trees were cut down and sold as lumber. Grumm himself, along with many other slaves, was sold off as well, the new owner having no use for his particular skills. Despite the personal tragedy of the event, it resulted in an unexpected boon for the mole; his new owner was no slavemaster, but a philanthropic molekin merchant, buying slaves to bring them to freedom.

At first, Grumm wasnít sure what to do with his newfound freedom. He worked with his liberator for a time, helping to free more slaves through legitimate channels, but it didnít feel like enough. Too many were still in chains, and there were only so many they could help. In any case, they were only treating a symptom. One thing Grumm had learned from his study of trees was that there came a point when a tree was so diseased, no amount of pruning would save it. The tree itself had to be removed. The system in Nesterak was rotten to the core, and something major needed to be done. But what could he do in a revolution, if there was to be one? He was as weak physically as ever, and he never had much talent for guns or chemistry. He set to studying and soon found the answer: magic. It was taboo, apparently, among molekin society, but he had been raised a slave and knew or cared little for such traditions. He found that he had a knack for magic, just as he had a knack for dendrology. The scent of change was in the air- and now Grumm had the tools to make it happen. For the first time, he truly felt he had control over his own destiny.
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 10:17 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 102
Warlord of Mars Warlord of Mars
@CCC, here is my character for your consideration. (WIP)
Name: Gundar
Race: Blue Blood Orc
Class: Magus 6th Level
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=88215

What is your personal motivation? Why join a rag-tag rebel alliance against an overwhelming power?

Having lived the life of an elite, I've experienced firsthand the corruption and the contempt the upper echelons have for anyone outside or even within their own ranks. I'm disgusted with my own family and our leadership's grotesque vial ways of living with zero feelings for others. They use up other beings as if tossing a booger on the ground.

Why should the aforementioned rag-tag rebel alliance trust their fate to you to lead them?

Not only do I understand the tactics of our enemy having lived among them my entire life I also have friends within the spy network controlled by our not so illustrious disgusting leader. I have a keen sense of awareness and understand when to attack, when to hold, and when to negotiate.

Background: Pending

This is what I have so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blue orc.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	90666  
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 10:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Exhibit A -- thanks for the submission. A thoughtful construction of a background, and a good starting point. Do you have a character sheet and a build-out?

(Since I first posted the Molekin, I clarified a few more missing details: height, weight, age favored class bonuses, etc..)
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 10:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
For starting wealth, everyone will forfeit half of everything over 500gp they retain in cash. So do spend your funds.

For pre-game crafting, you may start with +15% wealth (2400gp) for each crafting Feat you possess, but that wealth must be spent on items that you could craft with that feat. (Not items above your CL or that you fail to meet prereqs for.)

Do not use pre-game crafting for mundane items.

Do not use cohorts for pre-game crafting.
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 10:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
For Urthog Goran -- he needs a character sheet, and I want to make sure you've thought through how he will be fun to play over the long haul out-of-combat. Usually at least one decent mental stat and at least a little skills or magic or feats that let him do a variety of things when it isn't Hulk Smash time.
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 11:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@triedtherest

Quote:
Accelerated Drinker

You know how to drink a potion efficiently, such as by not using your hands, tossing it in the air and catching it in your mouth, or opening it with your teeth.

Benefit: You may drink a potion as a move action instead of a standard action as long as you start your turn with the potion in your hand.
I'd play it as written, allowing you to drink potions quickly, but not non-potions (extracts.)
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 01:57 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I decided against Accelerated Drinker in the end.

Does the Gunsmithing Feat count as a Crafting Feat for the purposes of the +15%?

Can some of our initial starting gear be raw supplies, to make other things with later?
Daar is an Alchemist, so making things on the road is part of his schtick.
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 03:17 PM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6426
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCanCook View Post
@Exhibit A -- thanks for the submission. A thoughtful construction of a background, and a good starting point. Do you have a character sheet and a build-out?

(Since I first posted the Molekin, I clarified a few more missing details: height, weight, age favored class bonuses, etc..)
I am working on a sheet, here. I haven't done his spells or equipment yet, but everything else is there.
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 03:29 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 102
Warlord of Mars Warlord of Mars
@CCC I didn't realize my character link didn't work. It has been fixed.