OOC Breakroom on Mt. Olympus - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Knick Knacks of Doom > Fated Children
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Mar 17th, 2021, 11:03 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7245
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
Exactly.
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 07:00 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10440
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
My first inclination is to agree, since the basic description of magic in the SRD even states a player can choose to cast a spell at a lower caster level (presumably to reduce the level dependent variables in the spell for some purpose) but it doesn't say doing so uses a lower level spell slot. Neither does getting twice as many CL in dice to damage at level 10 vs. level 5 require moving it up a slot in the way psionics require extra power points for extra oomph.

It also makes me think of feats which build on each other, such as spell penetration and greater spell penetration. If you wanted your spell to be weaker for some reason I suppose it's not unreasonable for the player to apply only the effects of spell penetration to a spell... I haven't looked for any FAQ or guidance on whether or not there's any official guidance on that particular example. However, you have to know the first feat to get and use the second, and even if you acquire the second feat and then retrain the first, you now cannot use the second feat anymore. In this way spells are more versatile, as you can unlearn hold person and still cast hold monster, which is effectively an upgrade. Which leads me to a new problem: what spells are considered improvement over each other?

While some spells specifically state lesser or greater (such as restoration and teleport) there are many spells which logically follow a lesser/greater progression, but use different names or different progression concepts. Would this apply to hold person and monster? Or mass versions of other spells? What about the various polymorph spells, which ones are new, stronger spells and which are just improved versions of lower level ones? Does knowing summon monster IV mean you can also cast summon monster I-III with one spell known?

If I were to house rule it for some spells, it is only fair to make a rule which covers all applications of the same concept. Looking at the rule change in its totality, the amount of nuance required to implement it in a universal way so that every new question or instance which relates to it doesn't require another house rule or individual consideration... I don't want to write a new homebrew chapter of the rule book.

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Mar 18th, 2021 at 07:00 AM.
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 04:23 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Follow up, it's been three days, I'm going up update the game thread tonight with the assumption we've stayed in the cart. Rick, if you change your mind about going to the city you've got until I update.

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Mar 18th, 2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 08:04 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
I'm all for going to town. As for the spell question, it's not a big deal to me don't sweat it mate. I'll get a post up in just a bit.
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 03:37 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
I self nominated your sister campaign, Trinket Hunters, a Knick Knacks of Doom game, for Hall of Fame this year. Though we haven't had a chance to get into it, with this game being set one hundred years after the conclusion of the Trinket Hunters campaign, some fairly vital "behind the scenes" story and cosmos events happen (and are, technically, still happening as they're still going through the final chapter) in that game which directly influence the world this game is playing in. For example, their successful intervention of the mind control of King Nichols lead to a renaissance in Kingseat, the success of which is still being reaped in this campaign. If the PCs in that campaign had made different choices, or failed in their quests, you may have inherited a far bleaker Kingseat... if one still existed at all.

So far there are some other really good contenders already nominated. I'm debating seconding The Founding, since I played in it for a short time and I really enjoyed it, and kind of dropped off through no fault of wodine's.

You are not beholden to submit a nomination yourselves, or to vote, or if you do nominate or vote you're under no obligation to make it for that game. It's just something fun, and being part of the KKoD universe, I thought you'd be interested to see how it goes.

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Mar 19th, 2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 11:26 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
I am moving Zinxi's treatment story arc, which I like and want to indulge in, to Asgard's Tearoom, as nothing she does to these people influence the plot, and so the game thread can move on without a negative impact to the campaign. The Tearoom is useful in situations like these where a worthwhile side-story involves only one or two members of the party.

To that end, Tyeal is there anything you want to do in town before the windstorm blows over and the party can caravan to Orhill?

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Mar 26th, 2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 10:55 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
You didn't mention is she spotted any magical aura's.
Old Mar 27th, 2021, 09:58 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
There is nothing magical wrong with her.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 01:25 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
I thought about interacting with each patient to try and get some juicy town gossip but then I realized that might take moments at a table top game but it’ll likely take weeks in a pbp setting.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 01:32 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
That's partly the idea behind having a second story thread, to indulge in things like that while the game passes by. However, there's no much information to pump out of the populace.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 11:06 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
We go find our contact... or do we play it cool and send her a message and let her meet with us in private?
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 06:41 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
Avophior would lean toward the first, maybe do a bit of "playing it cool" first so it looks more accidenal.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 04:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4647
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
Hey all! At the behest of our illustrious DM, I have been hard at work crafting a character I hope will bring lots of fun to this playground. Pierre is a hard-working intellectual, a Magus of the Skirnir subdiscipline, who wields the Shield of the Sun which he found, glinting, in the trackless Wastelands. He's an explorer and archaeologist, a man of honor and action who loves a good contest of wits, swords, or magic. I look forward to joining you when the marathon task of building a level 20 character comes to...well, not an end, but a beginning.

I'm also about to be a new father any day/week, so don't be surprised if Pierre ends up sounding far more tired than he has his whole adult life!
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 12:35 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome mate! Glad to have you and our dbaqueother new player. Can't wait to meet up in game.

Last edited by ricktur63; Apr 18th, 2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 01:15 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
Hello folks!

Based on a private thread discussion, I wanted to address what I envision as the best way to design mythic trials for your PC. As mentioned before, I want to encourage agency among the players to develop things such as mythic trials (which are the herculean mythological escapades your characters will be remembered for through the eons - worthwhile of your input.) However, mythic trials are not meant to be solo-adventures, even if each mythic trial will likely have one or two of the players as the "spotlight."

The nature of PbP, it just moves too slow for each person to have their own trial per tier, and so the party will be acquiring tiers together as a group, even if the trial was initiated by and/or completed by an individual PC. For example: the final resolution of a great mythic trial may be a 1 on 1 duel which one of the characters participates in, but the greater adventure is not something they would (or could) have done without the whole party working as a team to achieve said goal.

Please keep this in mind as you come up with ideas for mythic trials. Same can go for divine adventures or other quests: it is possible, but also generic, to create "sterile" adventures where everyone has an equal vested interest in the outcome. Rotating through stories which are important to individual PCs feels more organic and natural, as apart from "the military sends a team to do a mission" that is kind of how ensembles of people who interact together tend to do things. It also ensures everyone gets a taste of being the principle protagonist without it being a personality contest.