Game Thread Introduction - An Audience With The King - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Knick Knacks of Doom > Fated Children
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 27th, 2021, 09:05 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10440
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Introduction - An Audience With The King

14th of Deadtime, 1092 - a foggy morning at the capitol

It is due to your great renown you were summoned for an audience with the King. King Mitchell is young, in his mid twenties, and has only been on the throne for a few years. His father before lived to an unusually old age holding the throne for almost forty years. Both of Mitchell's older brothers who were in line for the throne died before their father, and so Mitchell (who never expected to be King) has proven to be an energetic, youthful, and proactive ruler. Whatever he seeks an audience with you for, the message you received did not provide much detail. It was sent by royal messenger, not by mail, and all the man said was "The Crown requests an audience with you based on your great renown as an adventurer." Even the chamberlain who currently entertains you an antechamber of the meeting room you're waiting for entrance into is in the dark about what it is the King wants you here for.

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Feb 27th, 2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 09:23 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7245
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
It had taken Zinxi nearly two weeks to travel to the capitol city. She had stopped a half-days travel outside the city to clean up and prepare for her meeting. Yes she could have teleported instantly but she liked to travel in her caravan. It was after all her home and there were always people along the way that needed her healing touch or drafts. So it was at the farm where she stopped the night before her arrival at the city. The mistress of the house was injured and Zinxi provided a potion that healed the woman of a broken arm. She had been thrown from a horse and broken her arm just hours before the healers arrival. Was it fate or providence? Zinxi was uncertain but she was glad that she had arrived just in time to save the woman many weeks of painful and awkward recovery.
Her ride into the city and then into the palace grounds the following day was very satisfying. She felt refreshed and she was dressed in her finest white robes and she carried her staff of power. Over one shoulder she carried a It looks like a purse but it is her haversack.satchel with a long leather strap. Also on her right thigh was attached a very fine quiver which holds several rods and another staff. The little gnome sorceress was bejeweled with a not so small fortune in rings, an amulet and a headband. Zinxi is at home in the palace. She is just as comfortable dealing with nobles as she is with dealing with kings and their representatives.
The small beautiful woman made apologies when the Chamberlain greeted her at the front of the main palace. Zinxi bowed and said. "I'm sorry for being so late sir. My travels are often slow due to my mundane form of travel. I'm often reluctant to leave my home behind unless there is grave need. I hope my tardiness was not too much of an inconvenience to the young king." She followed the man with graceful steps as she made her way to the antechamber to await the kings audience.

Old Feb 28th, 2021, 10:44 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8232
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Roux
left-aligned image
He hated having to make an appearance like this.

Having all his attention focused on setting up The Monsterkin branch of the local Adventurer's Guild, he had been spending countless hours and sacks of gold to get the villa he had snatched up fitted, brought up to snuff, decked out in magical protections, filled with equipment, provisions, staff, and weeding out all the garbage the Guild shoved his way. Treating his branch like it was a place to dump the applicants the 'proper' Guild didn't want. It took him a few weeks and countless non-veiled threats to have everything close to where he wanted it before he got the in-person summons.

Once he 'verified' the messenger was legitimate, he set his week-long travel in motion via a combination of carriages, dimension blinking, and quick bursts of flight through his enchanted boots. He had worked for all these items, dammit. He wasn't NOT going to use them to save himself some time to get back to doing what was important. An annoying stipulation was that he in particular was told to 'come as he was'. Meaning no disguises or altercation of his goblinoid appearance. IT wasn't so much an issue for him as the rest of the city. At least those that could ever spot him darting from in and out of shadows, some small enough that children would've had trouble staying hidden. His magic could be better used elsewhere for a task such as this.

The other headache came into play when he reached the main gate. First not being recognized and called out as an impostor goblin, and then nearly putting the allegedly seasoned knight down in the dirt with a steel smile pressed against his throat for trying to take his weapons. After more threats from him, sharp as his monstrous fangs, he was let through and gave the knight a fist in the back of his armored knee for good measure as he passed, flipping him off as well.

Upon entering the Antechamber he wrenched his hood back and addressed the Chamberlan in his raspy, reedy voice. "Gotta sh*t bunch of guards workin' those gates. Ass*oles had a drawin' of me from that Crowning Festival last year an' still couldn't tell it was me. An' they had the balls t'question me as a shapeshifter! What kinda piss poor mages ya got on your payroll that they can't pick out basic illusion or transmutation magic?!"
He flopped into an armchair, snatching up a palm cake from one of the platters, watching the Gnome across the room with slitted golden eyes. "So you're th' other half of this meet-up, huh? Zinxi the Silver-Heart." He began, as if reading off an invisible card in-between bites of cake. "Reknown for her healin' ability an' bein' blessed by th' most beautiful an' powerful creatures of th' forest." He mimed spitting at that last part. "Folks really don't got anythin' better t'do than make up stories about us..."

Last edited by Tyeal; Mar 1st, 2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 03:20 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
”Not at all minha senhora." the chamberlain consoles Zinxi with a polite address in her native tongue and the bowing of the head. His accent is not great, but it is a situation wherein it is the thought that counts, or at least, it appears to be his intention. “He is still in a meeting with a council over some public works within Kingseat and may be another minute or so.” The smile he has on his face shifts from plastered on to carefully affixed when Roux enters and lodges the series of complaints. His eyes, however, are unperturbed.
”I will see to it at once, sir.” The chamberlain says, backing away from the small table and from both Roux and Zinxi once the conversation moved on, a conversation he has no interest in being a part of as his role as a functionary does not include the personal affairs of people whose business is far above his pay grade. With a soft and courteous “If you’ll excuse me…” the chamberlain does as good servants do and manages to disappear through a small door used by the staff. Moments later, a figure appears in the corner of the room. He is tall and thin, dressed in a long green velvet robe with fur trim at the hem, sleeve, and collar. The voluminous robes are belted in at the hips with a jewel encrusted gold plaque belt, unadorned by any pouch or weapon. On his head he wears a gold circlet set with alternating red and blue stones. Around his shoulders drapes a leather strap style livery collar wrapped in red velvet, set with mounts of gold and large jeweled brooch between the two ends. In his hand he holds a piece of paper with an image scribbled on it, a design which matches an insignia which is embossed into a place below the torch sconce behind him. Seeing the other two occupants Avophior blinks twice,
”Ah, hello.” He says, “I misunderstood this as a private meeting. That explains why the King is seeing me here and not on the solar where we usually take tea… Roux, if you had said we could have come together. I thought you had gone to sea when Claudia mentioned you leaving town.” The gnome was familiar, at least he knew of her and about her and he knows she had come through Kenmore before, though they were not acquainted. “Now I am quite excited to hear what His Majesty has need of all three of us for!” Avophior crosses the room as he talks, waving a hand which causes one of the chairs lining the walls to slide dutifully over to him so he can sit with a flourish, falling back so the chair catches him just in time. Crossing one leg over the other he leans back against the plush upholstery and steeples his fingers in thought.

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Mar 1st, 2021 at 03:27 PM.
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 05:40 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Roux
left-aligned image
"Not a chance." He growled as he watched the self-styled Baron Avophior enter with his typical grandiose self-importance, drawing a chair up for himself with his magic to flop in to. A flopping fop. He smirked to himself at the joke, but continued his point. "I've made it real clear how I prefer t'operate. An' while I could hide real easy with how much ya glitter an' postulate an' generally make an ass of yourself, I'd rather travel by myself. Faster an' can set my own pace." He reached for another palm cake. "I nearly thought about goin' to sea just to avoid this nothin' talk with th' king. He called me outta obligation. 'Cause he knows how I made my name an' got my reputation." He tears a chunk out of his cake, chewing in an almost menacing way before swallowing. "It wasn't through white smiles an' empty promises."

Last edited by Tyeal; Mar 1st, 2021 at 05:41 PM.
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 09:25 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
Avophior smiles behind his steepled fingers through Roux’s tirade, watching the goblin with his deep hooded eyes. Bringing his fingers to his lips he taps them against his grin, the lips parting to show his teeth. “And this is why you’re my favorite goblin, Roux. Just think of the parable we can tell you and I, the pretty donkey and the surly toad.”
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 11:21 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
A smile grew on Zinxi's face hearing her gnome language come from the chamberlain. The gnome woman understood that he was trying to make her feel at ease and she was grateful. She was something of a linguist herself speaking nearly a dozen different languages. Zinxi was always eager to learn a new language when the need arose. She was able to speak nearly any language with the aid of her magics but that wasn't the same as learning it for oneself.
The gnome woman didn't know what to think of the goblin Roux. When the chamberlain left and the noble looking man came into the room and called the goblin by name Zinxi recognized the name Roux. She had heard of at least some of his exploits in her travels. The well dresses noble man had not yet introduced himself and so she wasn't sure who he was but she thought the contempt of Roux was a bit over the top. She thought it was time to break the ice so to speak. "Excuse me gentlemen! Let us start with introductions. My name is Zinxi Majet. I'm a traveling healer." She looked at Roux and smiled before she continued. "Yes I am blessed with the favor of unicorn blood in my family. It has influenced my sorcery greatly. I have heard of some of Master Roux's exploits but I'm uncertain about you good sir."

Old Mar 1st, 2021, 11:45 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
Avophior nods his head to Zinxi, "Quite right." He agrees, no outward sign of the brief rankle he feels at not being recognized. "I am Avophior, Baron Kenmore. We met once, at a banquet in my home when it was still on the plains. It has been years. You were very popular. I believe you have a child or two named after you, in gratitude. The unicorn lineage I did not know. Fascinating."
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 02:38 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Roux
left-aligned image
"I'm th' only goblin you know, Baron Avophior." Roux snipes, leveling an annoyed grimace at him. "Ya killed any other goblin ya might know." That comment didn't sound malicious. Contemptuous, maybe?

Those slitted eyes turned to Zinxi, finishing his cake. "Some, huh? Good. Best t'keep it that way. If ya knew all th' stories about me ya wouldn't be quite so calm I bet." He flashed her a humorless, jagged smile before checking something under the sleeves of his clothes and what looked like a bandolier of metal tubes. "I know Ave there 'cause we started workin' about a year ago. Helped me set up th' Monsterkin branch of th' Adventurer's Guild. B*stards wouldn't even see me or help advertise th' place until th' self-appointed Baron stepped in t'help. Least get my damn foot in th' door. Did an odd job here an' there after as favours. Since then he pops in, sees how I'm gettin' along, pisses me off with his attitude, then leaves before I can strip him of his magic."

Last edited by Tyeal; Mar 2nd, 2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 04:13 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
"Though I would editorialize our relationship somewhat differently, and quibble with facts, it's inconsequential as that description is as accurate as needed for conversation." Turning his gaze to Zinxi, Avophior gestures with a hand toward Roux, "The Monsterkin Guild is a valuable and vital service, addressing an unfulfilled need especially in the borderlands where the conflict between the people of Kingseat and those who live in the heights of the mountains and the depths of the forest has never abated, just lulled through stalemates and aggression. Sure, here in the city they can afford to enchant evil detection at the gates and truth stones in courtrooms and administrative offices, but out beyond the wheel it is harder to have the same level of certainty a goblin is as good as he says he is. Especially in lands with generations of enmity between the races, reaffirmed with every encounter.
"Truly good monsters are rare, and prior to Roux's revolutionary idea of fostering those unique cases and convincing both them and the common people it's worth allowing them access to society... well, his cynical disposition not withstanding, the work he does is proving to have a unique and far reaching benefit to the Kingdom and civilization as a whole." Finishing his explanation he drops both hands to his lap, giving Roux a look which is clear he has given the goblin before. "Don't call me Ave. My name is not some grunt by a man trying to say Dave with his tongue cut out. You can have as much contempt for my clothes, my mannerisms, and the titles granted to me; trust if others could re-write your personality they'd need two jars of ink, but considering the disproportionate good will and trust I have emplaced in you and your projects, you will respect my name."

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Mar 2nd, 2021 at 04:13 PM.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 08:54 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics

"The King will see you, now." The Chamberlain's voice does not necessarily catch anyone by surprise, the heroes are far too perceptive to be snuck up on by even the most skillful servants, but his ability to be non-descript is astounding and he slips into and out of the room with near magical skill. His face is impassive as he opens the tall door from the antechamber to his particular meeting room. It is not the main throne room, but as the open doors reveal it is a room befitting business for a king. It is set up much more like a conference room than a throne room, with a long table in the center rounded by half a dozen chair and even the chairs at the heads of the table are no more decorated than any of the rest. The young king is already inside, the room has other doors off every wall and it appears there are many ways into and out of these chambers, though the door they come through and the one opposite it seem the least utilitarian; the rest of the doors are for the staff. He holds his hands up in greeting,
"Hello!" He calls, "Come in, have a seat." As the group files in the King offers a hand to shake for anyone who takes it, then sits himself at the chair opposite the door they came through. The chamberlain closes the door from the outside, and the group is alone with the King. "First, I am sorry I gave so little information about this meeting. Secrecy and discretion is vital. Some of the details here... they have to remain private. I trust we can keep it that way." The King waits for some kind of indication those assembled will agree before continuing. "There's a problem in Orhill."
Everyone in Kingseat knows what Orhill is, even if almost no one has been there, or really wants to go. Of the many natural resources in Kingseat, the only access to good mines are in the mountains, and those types of settlements have never been stable. The most reliable source for workable and precious metal has been import from the town of Orhill. And while everyone calls it a town, Orhill is actually a completely independent, large city - practically a nation unto itself. Politically it belongs to no kingdom, as the nature of its georgrpahy has made any attempts to subjugate it over the eons unsuccessful. Likewise, while it holds many of the best mines on this side of the disc, it requires complete support from trade being unsuitable for any other resource, and so has otherwise remained politically neutral. It is because Orhill is founded on the very edges of The Wastelands a large expanse of rocky desert and mountainous hill country plagued by chaotic and unpredictable magical fields. In the heart of The Wastelands magic does not exist. Elsewhere anti-magic and dispel-magic storms rage at unpredictable intervals, suppressing or even scrubbing clean the area of magical effects. When magic does function, it doesn't always work correctly, subject to wild and unpredictable variations. Orhill was built in a small pocket, close enough to the richest veins in the region to be useful but sheltered from the worst of the region's problems. Still, like the tide going in and out, the city never has reliable access to magical assistance, and as such has abandoned reliance on magic the way the rest of the disc tends to. As such, the town itself has embraced magic free habits and is one of the most mundane civilizations around.
"Aniela Duncan is a minister in their government, and I met her when she spent some time at our university during my schooling. We are friends, and having good friends on the Orhill Council keeps relationships, and bargaining rates, with Kingseat favorable. She is concerned there is a plot brewing to undermine the city, but when she started to investigate… well she is certain the plot is coming from somewhere inside their government. She fears for her life and the town if she continues to make overt attempts at ousting the plot." The King pauses for a moment, giving everyone time to let things sink in.

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Mar 4th, 2021 at 10:36 PM.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 09:06 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Roux
left-aligned image
Roux merely smiled at the noble Human's reaction. That toothy, knowing smirk that anyone who had ever dealt with a shrewd businessman would know. He simply replied, "Sorry, Avophior." His raspy voice gave no real hint of sarcasm or reluctance in that apology. Strangely, it sounded genuine even with the razor smile on his thin lips. "Someone's gotta make sure your feet stay on th' ground. Nailed, if need be." He licked his fingers of icing and crumbs from his snack, leveling those slitted amber eyes at him while holding that knowing smile.

That grin would fade when the Chamberlain returned. He shouldn't have been able to do that... He hopped up from his seat and followed after everyone, arriving before King Mitchell himself. Roux had heard many things about this young, naive, optimist of a ruler. But everything he had heard he knew for sure this young Human wasn't stupid. Him keeping info minimal was a reasonable start, keeping details scarce even through his network of brokers and spies. When his hand was offered he reached out to give it a squeeze in kind, his small grasp surprisingly strong as his leather gloves creaked faintly from the pressure.

With everyone settled those big ears were wide open Roux stood at attention, listening intently as to why they three had been summoned specifically. He was aware of Orhill in a general sense, more interested in its location to The Wastelands as it had been producing tales of particularly dangerous monsterkin armed with the wild magic tied to that area. He had been chasing down a few leads of those who could supposedly wield anti-magic and hadn't been keeping close tabs on what all had been happening on a government level. This plot could be nothing more than smoke and mirrors but any chance to further get favors and good will wouldn't be passed over. With the tale told he tapped his chin in thought, speaking up. "What does she believe this plot is tryin' t'accomplish? Resources, political favors, power, positioning, whatever. We figure out what this other party wants, we shut 'em down that much faster."
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 10:34 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics

"Those are all good questions, but I am not sure I have answers to most of them." The King concedes. "I know Aniela has begun a radical campaign of using certain golems and constructs to try and increase industry and efficiency considering how often magic does not work in their town, and especially in The Wasteland itself where creatures who spend too much time can get sick, mutated, and die just from exposure to the hostility of that land. She has staked much of her political reputation on it, but there have been problems with them, accidents, malfunctions... people have been killed. It got worse when she tired to figure out what the problem was, people close to her started going missing... As for motivations: money, power, political control, maintaining the status quo; who knows?" He shrugs and leans back against his chair, folding his hands in his lap.
"Which is what I was hoping you would be able to find out. Unofficially of course. If anyone caught wind Aniela was hiring outside help, or outside political powers, to combat this clandestine threat I cannot imagine what would happen to her. But... adventurers wander from town to town, they follow adventure, they show up and cause a problem and stick their noses in places they don't belong; it's sort of what they do. But they don't necessarily arouse specific counter-espionage like suspicions when they do. Go there of your own accord, off the books, look into the problem because you happenstance bumped into the conflict." He waves a hand to indicate the trailing thought process. "You know what I mean?"

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Mar 8th, 2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 11:15 AM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
When the 'Baron' introduced himself by name there was a recognition that shone in Zinxi's eyes. Yes she had heard of many of his exploits as well she simply did not recognize him by sight alone. Yes she did recall the dinner party she'd attended so many years ago if only vaguely. In her nine plus decades of life she had done so many things of minor importance. She didn't trouble herself to recall or cherish them all. "Ah! Yes I do recall your acquaintance now Baron. That was so long ago, the years have changed us both I suppose." She was trying to be as diplomatic about the years aging him. the little gnome woman was well aware that humans were short lived. While she was a mature adult in her prime he was fast approaching his 'golden' years. It was a sticky subject for some but she knew better than to accentuate the differences in their ages.
At the entrance of the Chamberlain the little sorceress stood and greeted him with another slight bow. She was uncertain of the protocols in royal courts. She had attended several before but to be perfectly honest the woman was more at home out in the country in hamlets and in forests with animals. She followed along after the man and into the meeting room where the young king was waiting. She bowed to the king then was somewhat surprised to see him extend his hand for shaking. She took his hand in her own much smaller and smiled at him when she shook it twice. "I'm so pleased to meet you Sire." She took one of the seats she was directed to at the table
The woman listened to what the King had to say and she was thinking more of the logistics of the situation. She wanted to see a map of the area around Orhill. "What is the closest town or hamlet near to Orhill? Do you have a map of the area perhaps? I rarely travel near to the Wastelands for obvious reasons. I depend heavily on my magics you see."

Last edited by ricktur63; Mar 6th, 2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 12:30 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics

The King nods sympathetically, "I understand, it's not an easy assignment. The Wasteland is avoided by all those than the unfortunate souls who live there. Sending you that way isn't a decision made lightly, I am aware at what a disadvantage you may be in the environment... If I recall, there is a waystation outside Orhill, far enough away from the effects of The Wasteland. Not so much a town, it's where much of what's mined in Orhill is taken to be sold and shipped out, and where most of what the city needs is imported in through. I can get you a copy of the map, though I don't have any maps of The Wasteland, I think it is mostly uncharted, or charted as part of assayers and miner's maps and not something to navigate by."

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Mar 6th, 2021 at 12:31 PM.