Notices

Old Mar 24th, 2021, 03:43 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3095
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
Chronicles of Nevermore

Elevator PitchA classic, light-hearted D&D experience in a high-fantasy world where four adventurers work together to fight dangerous monsters, discover hidden secrets, and pursue their ambitions, whether they be fame, fortune, or thrills!
FlavourAction, Adventure, Medieval Fantasy, Light-Hearted, Party-Centric, PCs as MCs, Quests, Big Monsters, Devious Villains, Glittering Treasures

In the vast world of Nevermore, nestled within the rolling heartlands of the continent of Lenore, there lies the Divine Kingdom of Ashrim, which, for the past millennia, has stood as a symbol of peace and unity among the world powers. Led by the sylvan High Queen, Thyriss IV, and her monastic legion of Temple Knights, the people of Ashrim enjoy peaceful times. But though the ebbs and flows of the political theatre are still, life is not always easy, and in a world where monsters roam the lands and lost legends slumber in the shadows of history, heroes and adventurers must still rise to the occasion.

Enter a world of medieval fantasy as a budding adventurer, eager to test your newly honed skills on challenges great and small, as well as make your mark on a fantasy world rich in magic, mystery, myths, and monsters!

The Divine Kingdom of Ashrim
right-aligned image
A little over a millennia ago, a charismatic young sylvan woman lit the flame of a small, but potent insurrection against a cruel lord in the Ashrimari Basin. The inevitable conflict that followed would signal the turn of a new page in Nevermore's history, and the rise of one of the most powerful nations in the Known World. More than a thousand years later, the kingdom of Ashrim continues to flourish and remains a radiant beacon of leadership among the Lenoran nations--and beyond.

Perched within the very core of the region known as the Heartlands on the continent of Lenore, Ashrim is home to great green rolling hills and vibrant pasture. A land well known for it's gusty, temperate climates, Ashrim is the ideal realm of the lowland farmer, and its centralized location on the continent--as well as it's famed Thyrian High Roads--serve to make it a hub for overland trade.

A highly integrated society of people from all different walks of life, it is considered a bastion of safety and community. The typical Ashrimari citizen is perceived as benevolent, tolerant, and loyal, and are thought to be among the most extroverted people in the realms. None, however, are thought to paragon these values than that of the High Queen, Ashrim's sovereign ruler.

Other Key Points

DM's IntroductionHello everyone! My name is Briar. I recently have returned from a 2020-induced hiatus and have been wanting to dip my toes back into the DMing pool. Unlike before, however, where I tended to take on large-scale projects with many players and many different storylines, I would instead like to run something smaller-scale with a more light-hearted feel and less demanding atmosphere. A traditional, classic sort of D&D where four adventurers come together to take on quests, battle monsters, collect treasures, and pursue their greatest ambitions.

This is also meant to be an introduction to the world of Nevermore, which is sort of my 'baby', as well as a prelude to a much more serious and dramatic story-deep campaign that I plan to run at some point in the near future. This is not a one-shot, however, but more of an episodic series kinda like an anime. In fact, if you like anime, especially more light-hearted stuff like That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime, Bofuri, Overlord, and Fairy Tail, you'll probably like this game. There may or may not be some slice-of-life moments as well.

As of right now, I'm prepared to post 2-3 times a week at minimum and I expect players to at least do the same (though I know that within a month or two will be Finals season, so I expect some lag and will give more lenience to those attending classes and such). I will probably post more as time and circumstances permit, though. I will be leaving this advertisement open for submission until Tuesday, April the 6th, at which point I plan to choose my party and give a little time for discussion before starting the game itself sometime on Saturday, April the 10th.

**Please Note** I already have one player who I've accepted, though they have not yet chosen a class to play. That being said, I'm not terribly strict about having a 'balanced' party so if we end up with an entire party full of rogues or three clerics and a barbarian, whatever, it's fine, I'll adjust as necessary. So with that in mind, build what you want to build and play what you want to play!

Character Creation and Game InformationCharacter Level: 3
Feats: Available
Sources: WotC Published, non-Playtest Material

HP: Maximum at every level.
Statistic Generation: 5d6, drop the lowest 2. Reroll any scores under 7. If you have more than 2 scores under 10, you may reroll the whole set.
Equipment: Per class/background.

Background Customization: Yes.

Character Concepts to Avoid: One-Trick Ponies, Obvious Character Rip-Offs, Munchkining, Lawful/Chaotic Stupid/Obnoxious

Other Stipulations: Please keep in mind that you are level 3, and as such, your characters are skillful, but not experts in their crafts. It is unlikely that they've roamed far and wide and traveled the land, nor killed any significantly powerful monsters, or anything other than some relatively low-grade quest of some sort. Part of the idea behind starting this campaign was to expound upon a part of the world that I haven't been focusing on for a while, so I want things like the land, its people, and its environment to seem new, interesting, and mysterious not just to players, but also characters.

In addition, if I haven't played with you before, I encourage you to write little blurb about your expectations for this kind of game, as well as what things about RPGs you tend to enjoy. Please feel free to be as specific (or not) as you like.

Number of Players Requested: 3
Preferred Posting Rate: 2-3+ Times / Week
Date of Ad Closure: Tuesday, April 6th 2021
Projected Date of Game Start: Saturday, April 10th, 2021

Urthwyn VandalspiredelphinatorSylvan (High Elf)Wizard (Spellslinger)Working
Quentin WesthafrogmanHumanFighter (Eldritch Knight)Complete!
Delaclya MoonwhisperWildJessiSylvan (Wood Elf)Druid (?)Complete!
ChirperUrsinorumKenkuRanger (Swarm Keeper)Withdrawn
Corax ZylminarJasontheswiftSylvan (Half Elf)Paladin (Crown)Working
Wrex KormonosJrodTritonCleric (Tempest)Complete!
Chise HawkwoodsdaughterShulaHumanRogue (Scout)Complete!
VolienMaestrosityCentaurRanger (Fey Wanderer)Complete!
Merrick MerrilintriedtherestHumanBard (Elloquence)Complete!
Horace BashiriNoquarter19VedalkenArtificer/Wizard (Chronurgy)Working
Orryn Whistlespellemanb29GnomeSorcerer (Clockwork)Working

Last edited by briar; Apr 5th, 2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 06:27 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12936
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Are the races covered in the 'Races of Nevermore' section the only races that exist/are playable? Or simply the ones that require particular clarification for your setting? (Plus human)

Characters: Del Corgan Iris Kettering Caleb Shaw Deirdre Venteuse John Alias
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 07:45 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1815
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Following on Hafrogman's post ('sup mate!), is it because we start from Humantown? I mean, if Mu's are so widespread, are they banned from Ashrim?

Last edited by Ursinorum; Mar 24th, 2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 11:01 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
That's just for clarification, yes. There aren't any races that are banned or modified, nor have I added stats for any races newly introduced.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 11:05 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2199
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Name: urthwyn vandalspire knight of valor
Race: high elf
Class: (wizard) spellsinger
Background: knight of order
Backstory: urthwyn was native to the kingdom of ashrim. He listened to the stories of the temple knights and hoped to be one himself. Being of highelf ancestry he was naturally attuned to the arcane and mastered the green blade with ease.
Adhrims mastery of blade allowed him entrance to being a squire of arryn hawn. He was adaptable trustworthy and judged people on skill than name. This helped shape ashrims own ideals.

Ashrim trained in study and skill learning to master the blade and arcane arts. He learned to defend himself with adjuration and attack with his blade balanced with evocation. The history of the temple and the power of friendship.

Recently he has been working for arthur serpantwind a highly competitive merchant trader. I'd guard the caravans and keep trouble away. This was decent work but my knighthood is coming up and I may be able to join the temple soon.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 02:29 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
@delpinator

Hey there, thanks for your submission. Seeing as how you're interested in joining the Temple Knights, I went ahead and posted a little about them in the new Factions spoiler in the main thread above. Let me know if you have any more questions about them.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Was thinking I haven't done a cleric in a while, and I've never done a ranged cleric...

I noticed that many of the gods have an aspect of elemental nature, but strictly Nature (trees animals) gods, is Lupercalia is the main go-to?

Also, Kenkus are no-nos, right?
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 03:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2199
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Would I be able to flavor arcane armor as the armor of the faction? Do I need the silver+ cost weapon for booming blade?
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12936
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Protagonist-kun
left-aligned image
Name: Quentin West
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
Background: Sage
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Appearance: Quentin is an earnest looking young man in his late teens. His short, slightly stocky build (and ears that stubbornly refused to ever give up their rounded tips) reveals his solidly human heritage. But there is a certain cast to his eyes and brows that hint at a possible Sylvan ancestor somewhere in his family line. Perhaps their is just a hint of truth to some of the stories he grew up on. He has a mop of shaggy black hair perched atop a face of a rather pale complexion that has recently begun to redden from more outdoor activities. His equipment is all rather worn and rather obviously second-hand, patched and mended wherever possible. But despite all that, he does not carry himself like an impoverished neophyte. He clearly thinks of himself as a legend just awaiting his opportunity.

Trait: Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
Ideal: Fairness. No one should get preferential treatment before the law, and no one is above the law. (Lawful)
Bond: I idolize heroes of old family tales and measure my deeds against theirs.
Flaw: I'm convinced of the significance of my destiny, and blind to my shortcomings and the risk of failure.

Backstory
- I Flunked My Magic Exams, So Now I'm a Swordsman -

Magic is in my blood! My great-great (or great-great-great? I lose track.) grandfather on my mother's side was a powerful sylvan archmage who fought alongside Queen Everwind in her rebellion. He's dead now, but my grannie said she met him once when she was young. Anyways, even if it's just a drop or two, this kind of thing always has a way of bubbling up to the surface every other generation or so. I always knew I was destined to become a legendary wizard and go on grand adventures! Mum and dad were pretty supportive. Well... mum was supportive and dad humored me. He said that even if I never learned to cast a single spell, good penmanship and a head for books would serve me well as a backup plan. I think he expected me to become an accountant.

Now, there's two ways to go about becoming a mage. If you happen to have an in with a wizard, you can become an apprentice. If my great-great-great-grandfather were still alive, I would've become his apprentice in a heartbeat. But as it happens, I don't know any wizards. You'd think with a distinguished magical legacy like mine, there would be scores of arcanists just lining up to take me on, but for some reason it just never seemed to work out that way. The other way to become a mage is to become enrolled in one of Ashrim's distinguished Magical Academies. The trick there is that so many people want to learn magic that they only take the best of the best. They also kind of expect you to already know some magic in order to pass the annual entrance exams, which I find terribly unfair. You gotta know magic in order to learn magic? How's that supposed to work?

I trained under the finest tutor my parents could afford. She was often drunk and always smelled strangely of persimmons. It turned out my father's restaurant wasn't doing that well (I think that's why he wanted me to become an accountant) and we couldn't afford a very good tutor. I don't even think she was a real wizard, but I did learn some magic from her. Just a handful of spells, but surely enough to impress the admissions panel, right? On my sixteenth birthday I packed my bags and headed for the capital, ready to take my first steps down the mystical path of the arcane.

Unfortunately the panel was a little harder to impress than I had anticipated. Sort of. It is possible to get in by already knowing a lot of magic, but the judges just didn't seem impressed with any of my spells. It turns out that most successful applicants get in by knowing just one spell: 'My Parents Made a Large Donation'. I never learned that one.

So there I was, alone in the big city with barely two copper to rub together and no prospects for my ongoing magical education. I could have hopped on the first onion cart headed back to the sticks and settled into a life of quiet mediocrity, but that was never for me. Adventure is in my blood! My great (or great-great? I lose track.) grandfather on my father's side was a notorious mercenary before he retired to our sleepy town. He's dead now, but my gramps said he met him once when he was young. Anyways, even if it's just a drop or two, this kind of thing always has a way of bubbling up to the surface every other generation or so. I always knew I was destined to become a legendary warrior and go on grand adventures!

It turns out the entrance exams to become a monster hunter are a lot easier. Do you know which end of the sword to hold? (The not-sharp one) Do you know which end of the sword to stick into your target? (Process of elimination) So now I'm a swordsman! So far it's mostly been giant rats and the occasional goblin. But great things are just around the corner for me, I can tell!

Note: I pretty much wholesale invented a magical college in the capital for the purposes of my background. If this conflicts with anything or otherwise causes problems, let me know and I'll rewrite things.

Expectations: A couple of things caught my attention from your ad. I have only watched Slime out of the source materials you mentioned, but I do enjoy the unabashedly 'Tropey' fantasy worlds that these types of shows are often set in. I'd hope that the game could capture some of the vibrancy and brightness of those worlds.

Also, as someone who has designed a world or two of my own, but always struggles with taking the next step, I'd like to see how you handle introducing adventurers into your creation.

Characters: Del Corgan Iris Kettering Caleb Shaw Deirdre Venteuse John Alias

Last edited by hafrogman; Mar 27th, 2021 at 02:06 AM.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 07:34 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
@Ursinorum: The default deity of 'nature' as a whole is actually Kismuth, but strictly speaking, yes, Lupercalia is the god of animals and beasts. I'm not really opposed to a Kenku unless they have some sort of game-breaking feature that I'm not aware of, though.

@delpinator: Mm, I don't see why you couldn't 'shape' your armor to look like whatever you wanted, though given that it's far too early to call yourself part of an elite vanguard of holy knights, it might not do to go around flashing their sigil. Just something to keep in mind.

As for the spell, yes, you still need all material components of a spell in order to cast them, so since Booming Blade requires a weapon that costs at least 1 sp, you would require one.
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 12:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by Ursinorum; Apr 5th, 2021 at 03:06 AM.
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 03:19 AM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2389
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
App - Ready for Feedback
left-aligned image
Name: Corax Zylminar
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Paladin - Oath of the Crown
Background: Noble - Knight
Personality Trait
1: I take great pains to always look my best and follow the latest fashions.
2: The common folk love me for my kindness and generosity.

Ideal
Noble Obligation. It is my duty to protect and care for the people beneath me. (Good)
Responsibility. It is my duty to respect the authority of those above me, just as those below me must respect mine. (Lawful)

Bond
My loyalty to my sovereign is unwavering.
The common folk must see me as a hero of the people.

Flaw
I made a terrible mistake in battle cost many lives and I would do anything to keep that mistake secret.

Personality:

Appearance:

Back Story:

Last edited by Jasontheswift; Apr 4th, 2021 at 02:17 AM.
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 06:46 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
Seeing as we have a shortlist of applications now, I made a little progress list in the new post. I've also added a few new bits of lore, including a blurb on the current ruler of Ashrim, Thyriss IV, as well as on the nation's capital city, the Citadel of Alexandria. Do let me know if you're curious about anything else! I do want to touch on a few quick notes, however, just to sort of give a bit more backstory:

Magic in Nevermore: Magic has a long history in the world, and not all of it has been good. In ages past, many great, but terrible mages have risen up to do ill upon the people of the realm and as a result, there are still many--particularly people in rural areas or those in the neighboring nations of Svietsylvania and Evorette--who are suspicious of magic casters and the like. In Ashrim, however, magic is more widely accepted, though practitioners are still under a great deal of scrutiny, bound to follow rules in order to keep their growth in check. In particular, an order based in the south known as the Svietsylvanian Inquisition makes it a point to roam the lands, keeping a weather eye for any magic practitioners who have ideas to use magic to gain power undeservedly, or those who may become a threat to society at large.

Collegiate mages, as a result, are much more common, and though there several colleges in Ashrim, most on the Lenoran continent are concentrated in the small satellite state of Cerulea, which lies just to the northwest of Alexandria Citadel within the vale known as the Cerulean Corridor. This place, which was once a secreted haven for mages during an age past when magic was hated and even outlawed, has long since become the center of learning for arcanists and is home to many of the world's most prestigious magical institutes, particularly one known as the Arcanum. Unfortunately, even the least prestigious magic colleges aren't cheap, and the only ways most commonfolk are able to attend is with either a sizable donation, friends in high places, or to have one or more collegiate alumni in good standing to measure and vouch for an applicant's potential.

Of course, there is always the far more dangerous way of learning magic, which is to simply get one's hands on a spellbook and 'experimenting', though that is a very quick way to attract the wrong kind of attention.
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 09:34 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1455
Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity
I'm contemplating applying with a centaur. How prevalent are they in Nevermore and in Ashrim specifically? If they are hardly present in Ashrim, I'd be interested in learning a little about Ashrim's direct surroundings. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 03:22 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
@Maestrosity: There's a centaur race? News to me. I imagine they would exist, though I've never really had that crop up before. Well, considering most of the Ashrimari Basin is low, open land with patches of hills that eventually lead into foothills, and the Hinterlands are predominantly deep, forested areas, Ashrim would certainly be the right kind of environment for what centaurs in most fantasy worlds would be attracted to. As for how prevalent, I would probably put them as 'less prevalent' on the scale, but perhaps a little less rare than most other monster races.