Game Thread Deep Thoughts: Getting There Is Half the Fun - Page 26 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > West Marches
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #376  
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 11:06 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 31st, 2023
RPXP: 14540
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 8,577
Morgan
right-aligned image

Like a splintering shell...? Morgan was both amazed and puzzled. A structure like this wreck shouldn't be possible to be grown, yet if anything the main material of the wreck appeared like the kind that only belonged to something living. How could it ever come to be? The molting of crabs? Grown like corals? The cleric of Umberlee touched her armor right above her chest where her amulet of the two crushing waves lay beneath the metal that she wore. She could tell that this pesky door would eventually break apart against the magical roil which now weltered and surrounded her staff, yet for a moment Morgan lowered her druidic weapon and considered once more that she stood in a room that seemed to feature this strange shell material rather dominantly. Was it grown or assembled?

The rest of her pack seemed to be occupied with some kind of panel and since none really seemed to expect her to continue her work or paid further attention, the primordial woman wordlessly strolled to the side of the room and began looking at the interior from up close. If it was assembled, then this material was a resource that could be harvested. Morgan wondered if its origin might not have been the sky but rather the sea instead. It is possible. My home exploded as well... But the alternative was equally fascinating. If it wasn't assembled, how could they grow it? No organism should have a gas organ like this structure...

The undine's imagination had been awakened. If it is more like a home, was it the home of something that needs to preserve its air? Did a land-loving race try to live beneath the waves maybe? That was such a fantastical thought. Morgan could barely understand why folks who were prone to drown ventured across the sea on vessels like a ship. To live underwater. Now that seemed like a step far more courageous for them. I must be making up things in my mind. Maybe it was just a flying castle in the sky which is grown somewhere else before it takes to the air. But who without wings would dare to live like that...? Morgan kept thinking and dreaming while she searched for clues that could suggest that this wreck had once been assembled.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 11:10 AM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14723
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 15,642

The bumps seem neither harmful nor particularly interesting to Tolanís touch, so the rogue continues to examine them, in search of some meaning. Itís there Ė a meaning is there, he knows, but he can barely discern even its outline, as when he struggled to track the merrow undersea at night. Was that hours ago, or daysÖ? Tolan suddenly looks away, clutching his head. His eyes are sore, his mouth is dry, and a terrible headache is pounding in his skull. But he suspects that he evaded far worse consequences. Looking over at Gil, Tolan realizes that only seconds have passed, but he feels as if he was almost lost in the meaning of those bumps for far longer.

Meanwhile, Morgan ponders the manufacture of this structure. Though she has little to no familiarity with the idea of training growth to fit a shape, it seems to her that this might be possible. After all, it is the nature of growth to expand into the path of least resistance. Were one to deliberately partially restrict the growth of coral, or a tree, or even a humanoid, would it not grow in other directions, thereby changing its shape? This is a strange, big idea. As she looks at the damaged room, though, she concludes that even if that technique can work generally, this structure was probably not entirely ďbuiltĒ that way. In multiple places there is evidence of the use of separate panels in the construction, whether those pieces were grown or otherwise constructed.

OOCI hope itís OK that I moved Tolan to where I thought he was headed, trying to interpret the dots. Remember that he has disad on ability checks b/c of his Exhaustion. The headache is a drag, but it has no mechanical effect, and he can also clear it right up with a Goodberry.

20 for Morgan, so though I think she would have no familiarity with things like topiary, she just reinvented the concept! Let me know if you have more questions about her conclusions.


 

 
 
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 01:53 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 1st, 2023
RPXP: 17617
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,542
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
"Anythin', Tolan?" Two ideas began to form in the back of Gil's mind and both struck him as horrible under the circumstances. "Um, just sayin', if it ain't metal, it's probably flammable. Not feelin' too good 'bout explorin' that chance though, not with us in it."

"'Cause the other thing is, if it's grown, it's alive, right? Least it had to be sometime. I mean, it don't look alive much." Gil took another look at the debris, this time trying to think less like the adventurer he'd become and more like the hunter he'd been. "Y'know what people 'n animals 'r full of? Tubes." He edged a little away from the door and the panel and put an ear to the wall, or what he at least hoped was a wall and not some kind of innards, listening not for something moving on the other side but for anything moving in the wall itself. Living things tended to gurgle.


OOCEw. Survival (+2) or Nature (+1) checks seem most appropriate.


 


 
__________________
Possibly slow after March 20.
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old Feb 11th, 2023, 06:37 AM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 31st, 2023
RPXP: 4517
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 3,906
storm
Storm is stuck waiting for others to figure it out. But he still believes burn it is the best option.
__________________
" Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast (5e) Storm(Westernmarshes 5e) Wildblade(Adventure #1 pf1e) Nightblade ( pf1e) & Shimmer (Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 10:28 PM
Cheshire's Avatar
Cheshire Cheshire is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 1st, 2023
RPXP: 3005
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Posts: 1,900
left-aligned image
Tolan's head started pounding. The pain was go great that he could no longer hear the world around him. All he could hear was a high pitched ring. Putting his hand on the wall to hold himself up, the halfling closed his eyes tightly. After he was able to recover, the rouge looked around and realized that only a few moments had passed. The headache still lingered, but at least he was still standing. He groaned and opened one eye. "I think I will let one of you go first...this mission is giving me a run for my money....You say this thing is built like a shell? Maybe we need one of the fish people to open it?"

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Playing- Amari the Elven Bard, Jarik the Human Rogue, Harmony the Tiefling Warlock
Reply With Quote
  #381  
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 11:27 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14723
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 15,642
A Dead CalmGil doesn't pick up any sounds in the walls, even though Morgan has silenced the hissing gasses.
Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 09:31 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 1st, 2023
RPXP: 17617
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,542
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
Gil held his ear to the bulkhead for a few seconds. "Shoot. Nothin'. Well, if'n it's alive, I can't tell. You wanta keep beatin' the crap outta it, Morgan?"




 


 
__________________
Possibly slow after March 20.
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 09:35 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 31st, 2023
RPXP: 14540
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 8,577
Morgan
right-aligned image

The possibilities were endless. Not quite literally, but as Morgan pondered that life always found a way and then liked to choose the most stable path of least resistance, she realized that all manner of shapes could be grown if one applied an apt restriction to guide the process. Both the idea and the concept fascinated the undine greatly, and although she considered that working back from something that had grown small to a crafted item was still simpler and possibly more precise than growing a craft from something small into something great through the application of the right measure of restriction, it still could be quite an effective method if put into practice. Morgan recognized that at least parts of the wreck had been assembled rather than grown entirely, but still, it was such a mighty structure as a whole and the water genasi thought to have understood that the cultivation of this shell material had extensively contributed to its creation. Astounding!

Descending back into the moment from her thought castles and highly active imagination, the zealous primordial turned back and witnessed the last of Tolan looking quite miserable and muttering about fish people, while Gil agreed with burning the wreck just like Storm had proposed before him, and then the half-elf hugged the wall, ostensibly to check if it was still alive. To boot, Storm curiously looked as if he had stopped thinking about how to progress through the door altogether, looking in Morgan's eyes a little smug as if suddenly his plan of putting this structure to the torch had been validated despite the genasi's previous ridicule of the idea in her thoughts. Of course the dragonborn hadn't actually voiced any opinion such as that and Morgan hadn't either, but altogether she found that since turning her back from breaking the door the men had simply sat on their hands and waited for her to figure things out for them. Wavemother take them, they must be trying to irritate me at this point!

At least Bern was pleasantly keeping quiet instead of infuriating her as well, and although Morgan was generally a patient woman and wasn't wont to start any conflicts unprovoked, her pack had started to find a way of getting to her. The follower of Umberlee brusquely walked over to the halfling, switched her staff of the speaker over into the nook of her shield arm, before using her freed, webbed hand to fixate his little head while she began to study his condition. Whether he held still for her or withdrew because she had startled him with her uncommented action, the primordial healer intently gazed at the pained-looking halfling with her deep green eyes until she felt convinced that it was a fleeting ailment. "It seems to be a headache due to exhaustion... You should eat one of the healing fruit that Silvanus has blessed for our quest..."

Although Morgan's bedside manner had suffered from her sullen mood, Tolan's health had been her first concern. Now that it was alleviated, she rose back to her feet and looked over at Gil who had since then seemed to grasp parts of his folly. Still, she felt that he ought to have his head washed a little more, which she then did verbally even though a lot of salt water was at hand on the outside. "There is life that grows into stone, Gil... I am not sure that the wreck can't be burned, I do not work a lot with fire... But we should not do it. We will not learn if this wreck is the herald of a greater danger to Fishbark if we do not explore it." Morgan turned her head and stared over at Storm for a few moments, and if she wasn't so inexpressive it would have been a chiding look that she would have liked to give him. As things were though it mostly looked like a silent ogling, and then without further commentary, she firmly grasped her staff, channeled a bit more fury into the foaming roil which stormed around its front end, and then the primitive woman began whacking and slamming it against the door again, almost as if she tried to take her anger out on it. In this case though, that was genuinely the case.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Feb 14th, 2023 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 10:08 AM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14723
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 15,642

Left to solve the problem of the door on her own, with even the massively muscled dragonborn declining to help her, Morgan takes out her frustrations on the structure. She bangs and smashes, doing Tolanís headache no good with her terrible racket, but continuing to make progress. After a few minutes of bashing interrupted by several short breaks for breath, Morgan has made a hole in the doors large enough for even Storm to pass. More carefully, Morgan chips away at the nastiest of the jagged edges. It will be a squeeze for some, but it wonít do much more damage than a few scrapes to any passing through.

Looking through the hole, the party can see a space beyond that is poorly lit, only from some breaches in the ceiling. It appears to be roughly rectangular in shape, with the longer dimension running directly ahead. At regular intervals solid panels separate sections of the space.

OOCI've included a very rough map of the space showing the features that the party can make out at first glance. I don't show walls on the right or the left because the party can't make out what's there. The hole is directly above "hole" on the map; i.e., the party is standing basically where that word is.

 

 
 
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 09:24 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 31st, 2023
RPXP: 4517
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 3,906
Storm
Storm walked over to the new opening opening. Nodded as he has no blunt weapons and wasn't about to destroy his sword, he was impressed with the others job.

" How's it look inthere? Is there gasses, if so how do we get by? " He asked. As he stuck his head in to see what he can see.


 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 
__________________
" Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast (5e) Storm(Westernmarshes 5e) Wildblade(Adventure #1 pf1e) Nightblade ( pf1e) & Shimmer (Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Feb 22nd, 2023 at 08:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old Feb 18th, 2023, 12:10 AM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 1st, 2023
RPXP: 17617
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 6,542
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
"Right, last resort, burnin'." Gil wasn't even sure Morgan had heard him as she lit into the door with an abosolute vengeance, battering the stone-shell-whatever with true focus. He had to admire that kind of dedication to wrecking stuff.

Even going full tilt, it took the water-woman a few minutes to break through. Gil watched the door crumble bit by bit, trying to peer past the frenzy of destruction. Nothing seemed to move on the other side. "That was real impressive, Morgan. Corridor ahead, kinda. Don't see nothin' steamin'. Don't think gasses'd build up, the roof's fulla holes." He raised the hood on his lantern and held it up in case a little more light would reveal anything.

"Which is off. I could see rocks punching up from the bottom when it hit, sure, but just supposin', what with how much it took just to get through one door an' all, what d'ya think could knock a buncha holes in this thing before it even hit the beach? I mean, sure, maybe this thing is some kinda danger ta Fishbark even if it looks trashed, but I bet whatever tore it up is a whole lot worse." He took a longer look before moving in


OOCPerception please!


 


 
__________________
Possibly slow after March 20.
Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old Feb 18th, 2023, 11:28 AM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14723
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 15,642

Gil's half-elven eyes pick up more detail in the chamber ahead, but the dividers still severely limit lines of sight from this angle. He can tell that the the panels noted on the E and W sidesdividers appear to be made of a black metal. More strikingly, the first not a medieval concept, but I'm just going with that for nowcubicle on each side appears to contain a large, glass covered container. From his current angle, Gil cannot tell how big each partitioned area is, how big each container is, or whether any of the other partitioned areas contain similar containers.

OOCI assume I'll be updating the map soon. The cubicles noted are those at the 2-3 rows up from "hole."

 

 
 

Last edited by secretID; Feb 18th, 2023 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old Feb 18th, 2023, 05:38 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
Besieged by deadlines
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 31st, 2023
RPXP: 14540
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 8,577
Morgan
right-aligned image

While her staff of the speaker hadn't been crafted to beat anything with it and only the druidic magic flowing through it made it robust enough that it didn't break like the mere regalia and spell focus that it was, Morgan had practiced plenty to use it like a proper weapon and the roil which surrounded the sea shells ground into the door's material and broke it down with each further blow. Still, the door clearly had been designed with quite some fantastical method, so it took the peeved water genasi quite a few minutes until the destruction of the door and the ensuing gap could be considered wide enough to grant her pack a path ahead. Not really coming as much of a surprise, the violent activity actually helped to get some of her frustration out of her system. So even though the exertion made a lot of noise and she considered that anything further inside would be definitely forewarned by now, Morgan felt pretty good about herself when she took a brief look through the opening herself before Storm mosied next to her to get an even better look, and then Gil joined by the dragonborn's side and praised her for the workout. And although the primordial woman was quite fed up with these men and how they had left the manual labor to her, only to push past her like kids hoping for a pearl in their clam, Morgan took it in stride and simply gave a nod until they had satisfied their untamable curiosity before she managed to get a better look herself.

Although Morgan had never even noticed that Gil had brought out his lantern and lit it up, the additional light source made the interior before them more visible to them and the undine listened as the half-elf drew attention that the structural condition of this wreck was curious, just as much as the unfathomable events that must have hurled it right here onto this beach. He is right. It is much more worrisome why it is here than that it is. Feeling like there wasn't much of a reason to huddle up on their current side of door any longer, the primordial cleric lit up the scintillating nacre of her shield and then nudged herself past her packmates to press forward into the space ahead. "I hope nothing awaits to oppose us... Please follow me closely..." The genasi waved her shield left and right, once more taking note of these curious dividers in regular intervals and how they were made from some sort of black metal. Morgan meant to be the vanguard for her pack, and as she took in her surroundings further she also noticed the glass-covered containers that were to both of her sides. "Hello...?" The undine raised her soft voice to high enough of a volume that it was clear that she was addressing any unseen sentients that might have been attracted by the noise she had made. She also mumbled a brief prayer to Umberlee, ready to face any challengers that might rear their heads.
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Feb 18th, 2023 at 05:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 08:07 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 1st, 2023
RPXP: 14723
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 15,642
OOCEveryone is up, in any order.
right-aligned image

Gil and Morgan squeeze through the hole, and the others move to follow. “Wait!” cries Bern. “Don’t leave me alone!” He desperately shoves his way into line while Gil reaches for his tinderbox, for the benefit of the others.

Before Gil lights his lantern, Morgan’s glowing shield already fully illuminates much of the chamber, and all the adventurers get a much better idea of its layout and contents as they enter. Each of the partitioned areas is in fact roughly cubicle, and as Gil suspected, each contains one of the glass-topped pools.

Gil finishes lighting his lantern, providing the others with their first good look at these pools and the other details of the room, but before any can take it in, from behind one of the partitions ahead, atop the tank therein, a figure drops to the ground. She resembles a tall, green-skinned elf. She has suffered some damage to her armor and significant wounds as well, including an injury to one of her legs that appears to hobble her as she lurches down the center corridor. She remains dangerously healthy, though, as evidenced by the smooth movement of her greatsword as she swings it in an arc down on Gil. Once, twice! – and the sorcerer drops, from i.e., slashing plus something not obviousmore than physical wounds. Gil’s lantern clatters to the ground beside him, but everything nearby remains brightly lit in the glow of Morgan’s enchanted shield.

Even wounded, the humanoid is quicker than the party. She is already onto Morgan before anyone in the party has reacted. The swordswoman strikes another terrible blow, 14 slashing and 6 psychicrocking the genasi, but Morgan 17 to hit - phew!barely manages to deflect a second swing with her shield.

OOCSurprise! - on everyone. The enemy got a
Dice Roll:
1d20+2 (15)+2 Total = 17
(17) initiative.

FYI, everyone but Gil had disad on their PP to beat the Stealth, so no one made it. The enemy was just out of Morgan’s Light range.

Turns out the party didn’t quite get into marching order, but close.

I assume that Gil will soon be healed, but if not I'll need a death save. If Morgan didn't use her Guidance for initiative, she needs to make a Concentration save based on 20 damage.

One last note: this was all from below-average rolls for the enemy.

 

 
 

Last edited by secretID; Feb 22nd, 2023 at 06:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 09:04 AM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 31st, 2023
RPXP: 4517
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 3,906
Storm
Storm knew they should have just burned the whole thing but no they had to come inside! Inside to die. Which is precisely what Gil was doing.

On the floor in a bloody heap instantly. Shaking his head Storm grabbed his lightening amulet the focus of his prayers to his God Zeus!
The lightening immediately began to surge through his whole body flashed from his eyes. And down through his hand which barely touched Gil's chest the man's body jumped up in a arch as lightening surged through searing wounds closed and mending what damage it could.
" Get up you fool ! It's not time to sleep !" He growl6. As he took a defensive stance with his blade.


ooc Gil now has 6 hp. His hair might be standing on end but he's alive. STORM 'S version of shock paddles.

 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 
__________________
" Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Beast (5e) Storm(Westernmarshes 5e) Wildblade(Adventure #1 pf1e) Nightblade ( pf1e) & Shimmer (Coriolis) https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...06#post9374506
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...13#post9375113

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Feb 22nd, 2023 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB