Game Thread VI. Trouble in Lehman's Hollow - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: N-R > The Ringlabor
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 12:31 PM
Krimchee's Avatar
Krimchee Krimchee is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 2nd, 2017
RPXP: 1450
Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee
Posts: 494
"Nice one!" Silas cheered as Dan connected with his staff. Silas watched the creature's dagger warily as it sailed past him and into the wall. Silas knew an opening when he saw one. He lunged again with his rapier, hoping to skewer the creature while it was distracted.

AttackAttack

Dice Roll:
1d20+7 (16)+7 Total = 23


DamageDamage

Dice Roll:
1d6+2 (4)+2 Total = 6
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 09:49 PM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 35444
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 10,457
The ratman yanks hard on his dagger, dislodging it from the wall just as Silas runs his rapier through the opening in the boiled leather armor beneath the creature's armpit. The sword pierces lungs and heart before exiting through the opposite arm hole.

With a pitiful gurgle, the ratman sinks to the ground.

"Hells yeah," Dan hoots, a little too loudly.

The boys search the corpse and discover a small purse and a gold ring on the wererat's finger. There is little else in this area beside the tumbledown shelves and moldering boxes.

Guided by the light shining from Dan's staff, the two make their way down a tight corridor, sloping left and right. A few darkened openings appear to either side, but the boys stick to the main course, listening intently. No sound is heard until they come to the end of the tunnel. In the near-darkness they spy a door. Some kind of white fungus is slowly feeding on the ancient wood. There's a rusty latch but no keyhole or lock.

Loud voices ring from the other side of the door. It's hard to make out what they're saying, but they seem to be in good spirits, laughing and jesting.

DM's NotePerception check, DC 15

13sp in the ratman's purse
1 gold ring
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Krimchee's Avatar
Krimchee Krimchee is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 2nd, 2017
RPXP: 1450
Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee
Posts: 494
Grimacing, Silas took the ratman's purse and opened it. He felt slimy, pilfering the dead. Or maybe it was just the smell of this...whatever it was. With a practicality that surprised even him, he quickly pocketed the coins. "Looks like we've got some drinking money", he jested.

He'd seen so much recently. Silas marveled at how he and Dan could just take this in stride. Bloody hell, he thought. What am I becoming that I always stop to loot the fallen? Silas then took the gold ring off of the ratman's finger, grunting as he pulled the stubborn thing off. Grimly, he tossed it end over end to Dan.

When they came to the door, Silas gestured Dan to be quiet as he listened intently. Silently, he crept near the door to see what he could find out about the racket coming from the other side.

Perception CheckPerception check

Dice Roll:
1d20+11 (18)+11 Total = 29
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 10:28 PM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 35444
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 10,457
Putting his hand on the door, Silas listens for several moments. He is quite sure that there are only two of them, and they sound quite drunk. Indeed, the ranger's hearing is so precise, that he's even able to estimate their distance from the door, and the size of the room opposite.

Judging by the echo and tone of the guffaws, he can tell that the drunken men are about 15' away from the door, and that the next room is somewhat narrow. He can also catch snippets of their conversation...

"Wonder what that rat bastard is up to in the catacombs? Hehe, all those bastards that came up from the south are odd. But know what? I'm glad them ratties took over. We needed some muscle, and now we gots it."

"Wanna know a secret? I was at the whorehouse over Luigi's inn and I swear there was a rat-girl working there. Hell, next time I go, I'm gonna pay an extra copper and see if I can land her. If she bites me, who cares? All the best positions in the new regime are given the to rats, so why not join 'em?"


You don't recognize either voice.

DM's NoteTo push the door open and peer inside, roll a Stealth check, DC 16.

If you choose to charge in, I would give you an extra action to account for surprise.

Or... other options?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Krimchee's Avatar
Krimchee Krimchee is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 2nd, 2017
RPXP: 1450
Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee
Posts: 494
Blood and ashes....there are more!? Silas swore mentally. What the h is going on? Silas didn't recognize the voices, but he definitely didn't like their tone. And sure as crawlers, he didn't like that they were in league with "Ratties" who were "taking over his home town.

Silas felt his anger rising. Crawlers and beasts endangering his home was one thing...but this...this was being done with intent. Silas knew he'd be fighting these two. He also knew they'd be dead in a few minutes. Briefly, he considered just charging in. But it wasn't a ranger's style. He wanted a more precise strike. A part of him piped up in the back of his mind wondering what kind of sociopath plots to murder people after listening at closed doors.

"Get ready for a fight," he whispered to Dan. He then gingerly began to open the door to peer inside.

Stealth checkStealth

Dice Roll:
1d20+11 (10)+11 Total = 21
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 10:09 PM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 35444
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 10,457
The wizard takes the gold ring and considers it for a moment. The young man's thoughts mirror his friend's: this is the ring of a dead man. Well, man was a relative term, Dan thinks. "This is getting crazy, Sy," he says. But they were both in it now and there was no way out but to complete their mission or...

When the come to the door, the wizard tries to regain his composure. Concentrate on your magic. Concentrate.

It's then that Silas gives him notice about a fight. "Wait," Dan whispers. Then, as quietly as he can, he mutters a few words gained from his mother's hymnal. They weren't words made for a human tongue, and it's only with effort that he manages to enunciate them. In a moment the light from his staff intensifies as a power wells up within him. He touches the brightly glowing staff against Silas's brow and the glow fades.

Immediately the ranger feels a surge of energy, like he'd just drank a few glasses of Dad's wine and was reeling in the best of ways. "OK, maybe that'll help. Ready when you are."

With that, Silas pushes the door open a crack and peers through. He can see that the old wooden door is at the back of a narrow storage room. More shelves with canisters and oddiments are stacked on them. But through the items, Silas can see two men sitting at a small table. There's a flagon of wine and a lantern on the table. They're playing cards and talking loudly.

"You don't wanna become one of them rats. They can't control it. Best be what you is, a bastard scoundrel and a crap card player, but at least you're natural."

"Is the mayor there?" Dan whispers from behind Silas.
DM's NoteDan casts Bull Strength on Silas. +4 to STR

It looks like you can wind through the shelves relatively easily. The room is about 30' long, including two rows of old shelves. The men are sitting at the far end. That's all you can see from this vantage right now.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 10:45 AM
Krimchee's Avatar
Krimchee Krimchee is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 2nd, 2017
RPXP: 1450
Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee
Posts: 494
As Silas' surprise at Dan's magic faded, Silas felt...good. He felt like he could take on a crawler with his bare hands in fact. Smiling, he whispered, "Let's do this.The mayor's not here. There are two, but we should be able to take them by surprise. Quietly now... I'll go for the one on the right, you go for the left. Silas took out his bow, knocked and arrow and crouching low, entered the doorway. He planned to get into a spot where he could get a clean shot.

StealthStealth

Dice Roll:
1d20+11 (12)+11 Total = 23



Attack - BowAttack - Bow

Dice Roll:
1d20+10 (16)+10 Total = 26


DamageDamage
Dice Roll:
1d8+2 (6)+2 Total = 8
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 02:21 PM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 35444
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 10,457
Dan was no hunter, but in his youth Silas had dragged him out hunting on more than one occasion, and he knew the feel of taking aim at a rabbit. Once the wizard had even skewered a woodchuck who was raiding his dad's garden. He could still remember walking up to the critter, wriggling to be free of the arrow pinning it to the earth. It was a good shot.

But when Silas let his arrow fly at a person, this was something different. In an instant there was a nasty THUNK.

"Ahhh!" the guard screams, looking down at the fletching sticking out of his chest. It must have missed his sternum as it was buried deep. The man tries to move but the arrow is embedded in the back of the wooden chair he was sitting in. Stuck, just like the woodchuck. Blood begins to pour from the hole in his armor as he struggles.

A primal part takes over Dan at that moment. The spell he had in mind would have covered the guards in a magical webbing, but something savage wanted to strike out, just as Silas had. Pushing past Dan jumps from behind the shelves and speaks a word of power.

The other soldier is fumbling drunkenly to free his sword from his scabbard when three shimmering points of light fly from Dan's finger, striking him as though he just got hit by a brick. "OOoof" he grunts, smacking the wall behind him and dropping his sword.

"MCNOSKY, GET IN HERE!" The soldier shouts, trying to get his sword off the floor. Meanwhile the other guard tugs at the arrow in his chest. Hands shaking and slick with blood, he seems to be going into shock.
DM's NoteDan casts Magic Missile (x3)

You are about 15' from the pair of guards.

Guard 1: AC 15, seriously wounded at 8hp; he is stuck to his chair.
Guard 2: AC 15, wounded for 7hp; he is picking up his sword but not prone.

Dan's attack
 

Last edited by mountainbound; Feb 3rd, 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Krimchee's Avatar
Krimchee Krimchee is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 2nd, 2017
RPXP: 1450
Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee
Posts: 494
"Blood and ashes..." Silas muttered as the man yelled out for help. He'd been planning on taking them quietly. Gritting his teeth, Silas deftly drew out another arrow from his quiver and nocked it to the string with practiced ease. He took a deep breath, drew the string back to his jaw and let fly at the shouting soldier.

Attack - BowDice Roll:
1d20+10 (6)+10 Total = 16



DamageDamage
Dice Roll:
1d8+2 (3)+2 Total = 5
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 03:58 PM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 35444
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 10,457
At such close range, the arrow strikes the reeling guard almost the instant Silas let's loose. The guard topples backward, knocking over the table and spilling the cards everywhere in the process.

Before the two companions can catch their breath, the door opens and a tall, muscular guard bursts in. He's wearing black leather armor and carrying a wicked looking longsword. You recognize his red hair and scarred face as another old schoolmate: Rob McNosky. But he's definitely grown up and filled out. He's bulky and looks well trained in combat -- not the lanky young man you remember.

He obviously recognizes you too. He takes in the scene of the two dying guards, stuck with arrows. Then he looks to Silas and his bow. "What did you two jerkoffs do? I'm the captain here and I only gonna tell you once: lay down your weapons or you'll never make it out of here alive."
DM's NoteMcNosky is using Intimidate to demoralize Silas.

Will save, DC 13 or become Shaken for 2 rounds

Guard 1: AC 15, dying from bleed damage at 9hp; he is stuck to his chair.
Guard 2: AC 15, dead 12hp
"Captain" McNosky: AC 17, undamaged

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Krimchee's Avatar
Krimchee Krimchee is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 2nd, 2017
RPXP: 1450
Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee
Posts: 494
"Bloody hell," Silas swore at seeing McNosky. He'd never been a fan of the cleft-lipped ginger. It'd been years since Silas had seen him, and he was surprised at his bulk. Silas wasn't impressed however. His adrenaline from the battle at hand just latched on to his long dislike of the man. Without thinking about it, Silas drew the string back, the now familiar hum of the mind bow filling his ears as he brought the string back and loosed a bolt of crackling energy towards McNosky.

Will CheckWill Check

Dice Roll:
1d20+3 (18)+3 Total = 21

A
Attack and Damagettack - Mindbow

Dice Roll:
1d20+11 (6)+11 Total = 17


Damage

Dice Roll:
1d10 10
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Feb 19th, 2017, 09:56 PM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 35444
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 10,457
The silver bolt of mental energy smashes in an explosion into McNosky, driving the young man back several paces. He clutches his head, crying out in surprise at Silas's mindbolt.

Dan never liked the man, but there was something about using destructive magic against a person he knew. He intended to throw another volley of missiles at him, but decided against it, once again impetuously changing his mind and his spell to suit the battle. With a sibilant sound he calls forth a spell that instantly begins to overwhelm McNosky.

The captain feels his eyes grow heavy, and stumbles for just a moment before -- "What the? Magic?" He glares at Dan and then at Silas. At the ranger he growls, "Silas Mota, you're a wanted man. A murderer! And here you are, trying to break into prison with some faggot magic user? Magic is for girls! I'm gonna cut you both in half."

With that he lunges forward, perhaps thinking Dan the weaker of the two and less of a threat, McNosky makes a swing with his ornate sword at Silas.

With nothing but his bow to defend with, Sy dances out of the way -- but the stroke was a close one. The ranger might not be as lucky on the next swing.

DM's NoteMcNosky resists Dan's spell.

"Captain" McNosky: AC 17, wounded for 10hp; currently attacking Silas in melee

Check out actions in combat. I believe making a ranged attack while in melee will provoke an attack of opportunity from your opponent. Just an FYI.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Krimchee's Avatar
Krimchee Krimchee is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 2nd, 2017
RPXP: 1450
Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee
Posts: 494
Silas heard the hiss of McNosky's weapon as he danced out of its way. Cursing, Silas dropped his bow and drew his rapier. Silas felt a moment of panic at the mention of the murder charges. Nothing quite terrified to Ranger than being confined to a tiny cell. He was meant to roam the mountains and forests, and like his lost wolf, would not thrive confined.

Feeling a renewed commitment to taking down McNosky, and also hoping to draw the man away from Dan, Silas lunged in for an attack. After the spell Dan had cast on him, the weapon felt lighter than usual in his hand and Silas marveled at how much force he was able to get behind the weapon.

Attack and DamageAttack - Rapier

Dice Roll:
1d20+9 (9)+9 Total = 18


Damage

Dice Roll:
1d6 6
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 09:40 AM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 35444
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 10,457
Smiling with teeth a bit too big for his cleft mouth, McNosky parries and clashes blades several times with Silas. The Captain's heavier longsword threatens to sheer the ranger's thin rapier, and it appears that's exactly what Rob's intending. But suddenly McNosky makes a misstep and Silas lunges, making several gashes in quick succession.

"Ha, you got some speed Silas. But I got the muscle, and training. And a magic sword, I... uh..."

Then the soldier pauses, as if he'd just lost his train of thought. Silas looks over at Dan, who is finishing the last muttered syllable of some incantation.

"What was that you were saying about wizards, McNosky?" Dan asks as McNosky tries to recover from a sudden daze. "And what the hell kind of name is that anyway? Some inbred mix of Polish and Irish? Hmm?" The magic user seems to have taken McNosky's words personally and now struts forward, pleased to see confusion riddling the Captain's face.
DM's NoteSilas's melee damage should be d6+4 to factor in his current strength of 18.

McNosky fails his save. He is Dazed for this round.

"Captain" McNosky: AC 17, wounded for 20hp; currently attacking Silas in melee.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 10:18 AM
Krimchee's Avatar
Krimchee Krimchee is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 2nd, 2017
RPXP: 1450
Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee Krimchee
Posts: 494
Silas looked in surprise at Dan, raising an eyebrow. He'd seen him use magic lots of times recently, but never anything quite like this. He was also surprised at Dan's reaction to McNosky. They'd been in a lot of scrapes together, but Silas had never seen Dan so fired up. He smiled a little at his friend's growing skill and confidence. A thought skittered across his consciousness wondering what the heck they'd both be like when all of this was done.

Silas quickly turned his attention back to McNosky and the task at hand. The man was a menace and he and Dan both would be in deep if they didn't resolve this quickly. Silas, taking advantage of his enemy's momentary confusion, moved in for his next strike.

AttackAttack

Dice Roll:
1d20+9 (5)+9 Total = 14


Damage

Dice Roll:
1d6+4 (2)+4 Total = 6
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB