Game Thread Book 2 Chapter 1: A New Dusk - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: E-H > Earthen Works > Earthen Works
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 07:02 PM
jj_wolven's Avatar
jj_wolven jj_wolven is offline
*woof*
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 7922
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
Posts: 18,890
Kalbee, Central US - Tuesday, noon

Sprinkes nods to John, though it's difficult to tell if its in affirmation or just a tick, "Its here and there, but more there than here." he sniffs his drink when it arrives, "A lot of it's already gone between here and Kansas City."

He goes silent as the other talk, nodding to Chester then listening intently to the others. His eyes widen then sparkle as Joya mentions that her father is in the council.

An hour passes when the clockwork raven flies back into the tavern with a letter clutched in it's talons, a surprise as even a fast response would usually take much longer. John's name is hastily written on the front and sealed with a blue council wax seal. The familiar drops it in front of John, then hops around as if interested in reading as well.
 


__________________
Fun Frog Facts:
The common species of frogs are unique in the animal kingdom because they are able to mate with either sex.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 09:00 PM
Evil Abed's Avatar
Evil Abed Evil Abed is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 3rd, 2018
RPXP: 100
Evil Abed Evil Abed
Posts: 27
Grant WalkerGrant slaps his knee and lets out a quick smilling HA! towards John. "John. The Smith. John Smith. Well ain't that a darn good coincidence. I actually could use some items in the future. Are you able to make Cartridges for my revolver? That'd be great to have a constant source for ammunition."

Grant looks over to Chester. "I'll be sure to hit you up if I get something lined up.
Another good shot is great to have on any expedition out. You can make some good wages. What kind of work are your cousins doing out at the ruins?"
__________________
"This is definitely the darkest timeline."
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Unforgiven's Avatar
Unforgiven Unforgiven is offline
Nosferatu
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 26th, 2023
RPXP: 14610
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
Posts: 8,203
John Yug (Yg'ffwla'vngl'asr)

John just keeps smiling at the cat lady, not realizing that he had upset her, before turning to chester and the other ratfolk, "Ahhh good ratfolk-friends, that cat lady is most kind, I hope that the quality of the ruined steaks are half as good as her hospitality!"

When he gets the letter, he reads it and quickly scribbles a response, letting his clockwork bird watch over his shoulder. When he is done, he sends it with the bird to the council members.
 


John half listens to Grant as he exclaims about ammunition, then looks up and smiles, "Oh of course Grant-customer, I have 80 cartridges at my shop that can be sold. They are not particularly inexpensive I am afraid to say, but as long as you have money or equivalent shineys, I would be more than happy to sell to you!"

__________________
The Bird of Hermes is my Name, Eating my Wings to Make me Tame.

Last edited by Unforgiven; Nov 13th, 2017 at 09:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 10:06 PM
ricktur63's Avatar
ricktur63 ricktur63 is offline
Flower of Everything!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 7774
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
Posts: 10,665
The feline server brought out the mutton steak 'cooked' about the same time the avian clockwork returned bearing a note in it's claws. She laid the steak down along with eating utensils as well as a good sharp knife to cut the meat. "One mutton steak 'cooked'.
Is there anything else I can get for you... 'gentlemen'?"
Joya thought of several other choice words but she kept her fiery tongue in check.

She was surprised by the timely response from the council. She looked squarely at John and asked. "Good news I take it? Or did they possibly deny you as I expected?"

When Joya saw John quickly scribbling another note she had to say something. "Just a word of advice. Something I have heard many times from my papa. If you keep pestering them about something they tend to dig in and grow even more inflexible or resolute in their decisions right or wrong, it matters not."

If nobody spoke up about any further needs the woman turned went back to her cleaning of tables and sweeping of the floors.
__________________
Status: Ready and willing!
Congratulations to my Georgia Bulldogs! Back to back!!!
#OneRaceHuman #OnlyLoveDefeatsHate

Last edited by ricktur63; Nov 13th, 2017 at 10:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 12:48 AM
Jeffkevlar's Avatar
Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar is offline
Space Goblin Number One
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 10th, 2019
RPXP: 3670
Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar
Posts: 2,889
Chester grimaced as he read the letter. The damned council had never liked the rat folk.

"Out in the ruins?" he said in answer to Grant’s question. "We dig down looking for relics from the far distant past. Before we went underground some of it. Most of its just junk and trash, not really worth anything but we Ratfolk don’t mind. It’s nice having stuff around. You never know when you might need some forgotten doo dah or whatsacallit. The stuff we figure you other folk are going to want we sell at the market. "

Chester picked up the note from the council, re-read it and tossed it back down on the table.

"And don’t you believe a damned word these bloody uppity-ups say about us," the rat man said firmly, pointing his finger at Grant. "They have no problem with us digging in the ruins, risking our lives, cleaning up centuries of filth and trash, but the moment we find something good they start accusing us of stealing it." He turned to Sparkles. "Which is why you shouldn’t be talking about no glow out in the east or west or wherever else. These folk here seem fine and Jon’s a goodun’ But we keep our mouths shut for a reason."

Chester looked up at Joya and raised the bowler hat that sat perched on his head between large ears. "I hope I didn’t offend you ma’am. I know your father is on the council but I’m sure he’s one of the good ones." The Ratfolk didn’t love the cat folk but there was no reason to be rude to a lady, Chester believed.

The gunslinger spoke to grant while he packed his pipe. "whats the most strange thing you seen while you were traveling out there?"
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
DM of: So You Wanna Be A Starfinder? | Blood on the Snow | Out Of The Abyss
Very Very behind. So sorry if I owe you posts. Working on getting myself together to get back to work on here.

Last edited by Jeffkevlar; Nov 14th, 2017 at 12:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 07:48 PM
Evil Abed's Avatar
Evil Abed Evil Abed is offline
Juvenile Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 3rd, 2018
RPXP: 100
Evil Abed Evil Abed
Posts: 27
Grant WalkerGrant holds his hands up in front of him and shakes his head off to the left, "I ain't one to judge anyone that's not crossed me and mine. We all got to make a living out there."

Grant takes a nice long drink of his ale, sets the tankard down, and wipes the foam off his mouth with his left forearm. He stares off into the distance a bit at the question about what he has seen as he shakes off a flashback, "A little bit of everything really. Sometimes I feel too much but we got to do what we need to do. I tell you I really can't stand those damn little demon ***** with the leather wings."

 
__________________
"This is definitely the darkest timeline."
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 03:25 PM
jj_wolven's Avatar
jj_wolven jj_wolven is offline
*woof*
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 7922
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
Posts: 18,890
Kalbee, Central US - Tuesday, noon

The conversation continues as the taverns fill with the lunch crowd, then empties as they return to work. As the room fills, Sprinkles twitches his head then turns to Chester with wide eyes.
"Customers" he says, immediately dashing off and leaving his half drank ale.

The small group around the table continue to chat awkwardly as they try to get to know each other, but the day continues to call.
The raven returns with nothing, but the squawk is recognized by John to be indicative of a customer - a man returning to pickup a pocketwatch he left to be fixed.

Finish up you conversation and we can move on.
Later in the day or onto tomorrow is fine.
OOC
__________________
Fun Frog Facts:
The common species of frogs are unique in the animal kingdom because they are able to mate with either sex.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 04:07 PM
Unforgiven's Avatar
Unforgiven Unforgiven is offline
Nosferatu
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 26th, 2023
RPXP: 14610
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
Posts: 8,203
John Yug (Yg'ffwla'vngl'asr)

John almost grabs the steak to eat with his bare hands before he catches himself and then slowly and carefully grabs his fork and knife and begins slowly cutting and eating it. Eventually he finishes and just continues with awkward chit chat, when a customer comes by he stands up and bows, "Well friends or customers, I must bid thee all a farewell, I have an order prepared and have my masterpiece to work on afterwords! I will see you tomorrow Chester-Friend!" With that he heads out, with the customer to give him the repaired watch and continue tinkering with the clockwork angel he was making.

__________________
The Bird of Hermes is my Name, Eating my Wings to Make me Tame.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 10:36 AM
ricktur63's Avatar
ricktur63 ricktur63 is offline
Flower of Everything!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 7774
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
Posts: 10,665
As the crowd picked up Joya got increasingly busy in the tavern with her waitress duties. She moved with an unnatural grace from table to table taking orders and returning moments later with bowls of the stew and tankards of ale. Other lunch order like mutton chops or steaks took a bit longer than the stew but that was the norm and to be expected for special orders.

The woman seemed to almost dance through the crowded dining hall with her laden tray. Joya never missed a step and she never spilled a drink. She was grace in motion.
__________________
Status: Ready and willing!
Congratulations to my Georgia Bulldogs! Back to back!!!
#OneRaceHuman #OnlyLoveDefeatsHate
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Jeffkevlar's Avatar
Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar is offline
Space Goblin Number One
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 10th, 2019
RPXP: 3670
Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar
Posts: 2,889
Chester did not rush out of the bar. His role at the stall was more to deter sticky fingers than to do any actual selling. He finished his drink, alone now, and then paid.

I guess I ought to head back myself, he mused, the left the establishment. He
Took his time wandering towards the market.
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
DM of: So You Wanna Be A Starfinder? | Blood on the Snow | Out Of The Abyss
Very Very behind. So sorry if I owe you posts. Working on getting myself together to get back to work on here.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Caveman's Avatar
Caveman Caveman is offline
Pure Scotch beef.
Former Staff
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 1st, 2019
RPXP: 4695
Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman
Posts: 2,686
Tam, shucking back another deep swallow of his ale laughs low at Grant's conversation. It's not often he finds someone with fewer social skills than he has himself - but turns out the strange fellow manages it. Strangley, he was enjoying the drink less than usual, and when the little group began breaking up, Tam slunk off into the daylight after them. Outsider the bar Scar, curled up behind a low wall just down the street raised his head and yipped before trotting out to see his human. Crouching to stroke the fox's head, rubbing between his ears Tam considers his next move. The little group had almost seemed to be meant to form up - but that was ludicrous, and Tam's never believed in fate, or any of that rubbish. Standing, he rolls his shoulders and sets off back into town, skirting the busiest areas he wends his way to the jobs boards. Never one for real work, he keeps an eye on the boards in case they point to something interesting going on, or something he might be needing to follow up in the wilds...
__________________
Iron DM 2008 (Runner-up)
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 05:04 PM
jj_wolven's Avatar
jj_wolven jj_wolven is offline
*woof*
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 7922
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
Posts: 18,890
Kalbee, Central US - Wednesday morning

The remainder of the day passes with little more than business as usual.

John has a bit of trade, though the only unusual one is some sort of pivot joint smaller than a pinky nail.

Chester speaks with Sprinkles after dusk when the ratman drops off a few warped metal plates he scavenged, then has a gash on his arm wrapped due to a "small tussle with moving junk" as he puts it.

Joya finishes her serving, then her dancing later. Her dinner with her father going Per Private Threadas it does.

Grant stops by John's shop briefly, then moves off again. Several times through the night he gets the feeling he is being watched, but is never able to see or find anything.

Tam scans the job boards and wanders around the area listening for rumors, but finds little. As dusk falls, he realizes that is is an oddly quiet day for work - the normal quick jobs are nearly half they normally are.

After a sudden meeting with so many new people, the morning comes with something of an expectations...but it just seems normal when you awaken. The first part of the day begins with little of note...


__________________
Fun Frog Facts:
The common species of frogs are unique in the animal kingdom because they are able to mate with either sex.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 05:27 PM
ricktur63's Avatar
ricktur63 ricktur63 is offline
Flower of Everything!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 27th, 2023
RPXP: 7774
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
Posts: 10,665
JoyaThe feline woman was out early. She normally was one to sleep in but today she had several things on her mind. Several people in fact. After her dinner with her papa last night Joya was anxious to speak with the people she'd noticed in the market, who'd also visited the 'Navel' afterward. She was hoping she could convince them to be part of a team. Joya was sure her papa was going to recommend her for something, a task for the council. She just wasn't exactly sure what it would be just yet.

Joya entered the market as the sun was cresting the horizon. She knew she'd probably be a bit too early but she couldn't sleep a moment longer. Now all she had to do was wait for the eclectic group of 'men' to show. When the tinker made his way to his stall she approached with a confident stride. "Good morning sir. I was hoping to speak with you and your friend about a job. After supper with my papa last night, I have a sneaking suspicion that I will be given a task for the council. I think you and the others from the tavern yesterday might be useful in helping me with such a task."
__________________
Status: Ready and willing!
Congratulations to my Georgia Bulldogs! Back to back!!!
#OneRaceHuman #OnlyLoveDefeatsHate

Last edited by ricktur63; Nov 30th, 2017 at 01:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Jeffkevlar's Avatar
Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar is offline
Space Goblin Number One
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 10th, 2019
RPXP: 3670
Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar
Posts: 2,889
Chester woke with the rest of his clan. Thee ratfolk’s warren was a maze of trash and debris but the gunslinger’s little corner was relatively well kept.

Beside his sleeping cot he had a chest for his few belongings and a small workbench which housed his gunsmith kit. He spent the first bit of the morning there, sipping on chicory coffee and carefully going over his guns and ammo, ensuring that the shots were dry, the weapons well oiled.

After a time he got up, stretched and packed his weapons on himself. He would head to the market, he supposed. There was to be another major scavenging trip in a week or so and he would have to help plan it but that would not be for a few days. Today would be another dull day standing guard at the stand in the market.

Chester arrived a few minutes later, the Warren being close to the bazaar. He nodded to Jon as he passed the strange man’s booth. He was talking to that cat lady from yesterday. She was nice enough, Cheater reckoned. For a cat.
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
DM of: So You Wanna Be A Starfinder? | Blood on the Snow | Out Of The Abyss
Very Very behind. So sorry if I owe you posts. Working on getting myself together to get back to work on here.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Unforgiven's Avatar
Unforgiven Unforgiven is offline
Nosferatu
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 26th, 2023
RPXP: 14610
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
Posts: 8,203
John Yug (Yg'ffwla'vngl'asr)

John gets up early as normal, he eats whatever he can find, or what his clockwork familiar catches for him. Then he works on his Clockwork Angel for a time before collecting his sale equipment and hoisting them into his clockwork and steamwork rig. He then hops into his show rig and stomps down through town to his stall for all to see his best piece of equipment so far. He then turns it off, and sets up his stall as normal.

When the nice cat lady came up to his stall, he holds up a hand in greeting, "Good morning to you feline-lady-customer! I am still waiting for a second response from the council, but myself and Chester-friend will work on expeditions sometimes if you wish to hire us. Our rate is reasonable and any collected technology that is not the specific goal of the mission will be bonus pay for the two of us. I can have a contract written up if the terms of service are acceptable to you!"

__________________
The Bird of Hermes is my Name, Eating my Wings to Make me Tame.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB