Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 153
Flood Flood
Planescape: In the Shadows

Game NamePlanescape: In the Shadows
Game SystemDnD 3.5e
ThemeSandbox, Planescape based campaign
FlavourElements of murder mystery, puzzle solving, heavy RP and light dungeon crawling
Plot SummarySigil, the City of Doors, lies at the centre of the Outlands. Inumerable portals lead from here to anywhere in the known planes; Baator, Limbo, Arcadia, the Elemental planes or even the Abyss.

What starts as a simple delivery quickly spirals out of control as the heroes stumble upon a curse that threatens to disrupt the balance of various planes and ultimately their very existence.

Can this rag tag band of misfits navigate around some of the Planes most powerful denizens and stop the curse?

Character Creation:

Starting level 3, 4,000gp for equipment, 25 point buy system (page 169 of the DM's guide).

Party Size: 5

Posting Frequency: every 48hrs

Accepted Sources:

PHB, Planar Handbook, Faerun/Dragonlance/Eberron Campaign Settings, DMG, Magic Item Compendium

Planar characters are welcome but not a requirement. Players not familiar with Planescape but with one of the 'Prime' campaign settings (such as Faerun or Greyhawk) are welcome and can learn as the campaign progresses.

When applying please submit a character description, including class and background, with a plot hook for your character finding themselves in Sigil.

Last edited by Flood; 11-08-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:47 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4174
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn

right-aligned image

Name: Dalia Black

Race: Whisper Gnome

Class: Rogue 2 (Dark Template LA +1)

Alignment: Neutral

Appearance: Dalia is a strikingly beautiful young woman, Her dark black hair cut short framing her face. Her eyes are a greyish blue in color, and glisten in the light. She is average height of a gnomish woman standing 3' 2" in height with a lithe muscular yet voluptuous build.

Personality: Dalia is a cautious young woman, having grown up on the streets, she has had to fight tooth and nail for everything she has. She adapted learning to steal, and fight when the need arose. That said she s a friendly enough woman and outspoken, unafraid to make her thoughts known. Dalia knows the world is not going to come to her so she is pursuing her future actively seeking out ways to make her life an adventure. Dalia knows each day is a gift that must be earned and she intends to enjoy each and everyone to the best of her ability.

Backstory:

Last edited by JaredSyn; 11-08-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Flood Flood
That's great writing, considered yourself accepted. I've had another player PM me who I'm currently working with. With a 3rd player we can get things going.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Awesome Sauce!
Old 11-08-2019, 07:37 PM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19270
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
Lilly
right-aligned image

Name: Lilly < -- Click to view character sheet
Race: Planar Handbook pg.25Lillend
Class: for 13 levels before picking up a classLillend
Alignment: CG

Appearance: Lilly is a woman whose humanoid half appears to be in her early 20's in human years with elvish like features, though its always hard to place a celestials age. She is easily identified due to her half snake body and feathered wings.

During her time studying mortals, she fell in love with their lore, arts and language. She is also easily distinguished by exotic choices of revealing armor and clothing if she wears any. Outside of her weaponry, she also bears symbolic tattoos of beauty and art.

Backstory: Lilly is a young, motivated and curious Lillend. Despite her appearance, she has a quiet personality (for a Lillend that is). She loves mortals, almost envy’s them in a way, for they accomplish so much in such a short time, even the elves and dwarves have crafted some of the finest arts, it’s no wonder their beliefs are what give the gods their power which in turn created her.

She holds deep respect for mortals and seeks to aid any that stand for arts or a good cause. She usually aids a good cause from behind the scenes, by supplying allies/friends with information. When needed she will rise to the call of battle and fight alongside those she holds dear and to seek to punish those who despoil art and nature. She prefers to play a supportive role to aid her allies in combat by inspiring them to perform greater deeds, however, if the need arises, she will not hesitate to lift a weapon.

Background: Lilly is a young Lillend who has yet to unlock her full potential. During her time in her celestial homeland of Ysgard, she studied many things and learned the basis of her stature (her abilities, skills and feats etc). She is now capable of further developing her abilities on her own, but like all things, it requires experience, time and training.

One day she heard a rumor about an ancient scripture hidden beneath an academy that use to be a place of power on Ysgard, however that was long ago and now the magic it once possessed had faded to nothing. Curiously, she decided to seek out this scripture and while exploring the catacombs under the academy, she found a secret passage that led to a large room containing a hedge of stones.

Upon closer inspection, there were phrases inscribed on each column of stone. Wondering what this scripture was, she attempted to decipher the ancient celestial glyphs. She studied the writing intently, however she was unable to deduce anything meaningful before the stones mysteriously activated and a portal opened up sending her to Sigil, the city of doors.

This portal is responsible for transporting her to Sigil and now where she began her relationships with mortals. Not knowing what else to do for the time being, she decided to acquire work as an entertainer/singer at a local tavern called "Oblivion". She figured that working at a tavern is a good place to obtain “information” and influence others.

She spent her spare time at the library, studying. She often stayed at the tavern or library. While working one day at the tavern, she was asked to sing a special song requested by Rynesten, and she accepted his request joining him at his table for the evening. Rynesten was enthralled by her celestial voice. The barkeep did not mind the request from Rynesten for he was well compensated for it financially. It did not take long before Lilly met all kinds of people and made all sorts of acquaintances/admirers/friends (and a few enemies - usually ones who touched too much) during her time working at the tavern. Rynesten visited the tavern often and Lilly joined him on several occasions, eventually over the last year Ryn and Lilly became good friends. Life was never dull working at the tavern. However, eventually she tired of singing every night and decided to turn to a life of adventuring, seeking a good cause to join.

Just recently she resigned from her job and began inquiring about adventures.

Despite all her years of training, she currently does not have the ability or knowledge on how to return home. In a way, part of her does not wish to return, for she views this as “Gods will” and has decided to take advantage of the opportunity and her time in the city where she can meet mortals.

Last edited by kaylara; 11-10-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Kaylara great to see you! I can vouch for her skills LOL!
Old 11-08-2019, 09:22 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 59392
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Name: Corbin Braedin (aka Raven)
Race: Human
Class: Cleric/Wizard (conjurer)
Alignment: Chaotic neutral
Appearance: Corbin is best described as the runt of the litter. Standing just above 5' tall, he is too thin and gaunt to be a warrior. Perhaps that is why he sought his calling elsewhere, in the occult arts, rather than the martial. His palor is a bit too pale to be healthy, an affectation he cultivates for its effect. He typically wears grave shroud linens, wrapped with linen puttees to bind them tightly, to add to the effect of his deathly pale skin, and to emulate the Lich-Queen herself, to whom he is dedicated. His cowl he keep pulled up to cover his head and face, and to disguise the scars, and his near missing ear, nearly torn off whilst he forgot his concentration during a late night summoning event. The cowl also helps hide a variety of facial tics exhibited by Corbin, exhibited as he often struggles for control of his emotions, and himself.

Corbin is a free man, but he still wears a slave collar, a sign of submission to the Lich Queen, and his bargain with Her representatives. It reminds him that his life is not yet his own, and his will is bound to Her, first.

Backstory: Corbin was a street rat. Orphaned or abandoned as a child, he lived among the outcast of society, the pickers and gleaners. In the most polite sense, he might have been a tinker: an itinerant craftsman that found and repaired broken trash, and sold it for a meager living. In actuality, he was a scavenger, a vulture. He lived on the edges of society, taking what he could, and stealing when he had to.

His smaller size and lack of stature led him to become adept at hiding, even among the gleaners, for anything that was found by one was coveted by all, and taken by the strongest. Corbin gravitated to living in an ancient cemetery, a graveyard, long abandoned and forgotten by polite society. Here, he could sleep, at least, without fear of robbery. And here, he found, theft was easier when your victims could not fight back. Slowly, he plundered the old graves and crypts of the dead, and sold the items he found for food and comforts. Soon, Corbin expanded his operations, finding that fresh graves in the new cemeteries were easier to unearth, and more likely contained wealth than the bodies of those buried hundreds of years before.

And so, he extended his range, haunting the crypts and tombs of the entire city, and stealing from their newly interred. Eventually, he became so adept that he drew the attention of others, occultists, that were less interested in the trappings of the grave, and more in the occupants themselves. Mal found that necromancers would pay for bone fragments and graveflesh as much, or more, than the pawnsharks would pay for rings and pearls. And his business thrived, as did his reputation for daring and fearlessness. Corbin was home among the dark and shadowy things that haunt the crypts, and feared little of them.

Unfortunately for the young Corbin, a thriving commerce drew attention, and his did. One fateful night, a gang of rivals invaded the cemetery, and found Corbin amidst his latest unearthing. Overpowering him, they stole everything, and in an attempt to take over his business, and cover their crimes, sealed him in the coffin with the current occupant, and buried him again.

It took Corbin a week to get out. A week, locked in a small coffin with the dead, before he could must enough energy, strength, and magic to claw his way free. A week of utter darkness, of hunger and dehydration, of terror and mind-numbing horror. Luckily for Corbin, if there was any luck at all, the body was freshly dead, and barely rotted, and the flesh and moisture within sustained him during his struggles to escape. What finally emerged from that grave was no longer the same man as had gone in, if indeed, it was a man at all. Corbin had witnessed the horrors of death and violence that were deep within himself, and gave himself to them in his bid to escape. It is said, although Raven won't talk about the week, that he sold his soul to the Lich Queen for escape and vengeance, and that She heard his pleas, and granted his wish. It is also said, with much more evidence, that he lost his mind, and left his human instincts inside the grave with the rotting flesh of the corpse. Whatever the truth, the creature that emerged was bent and twisted, and full of a dark magic and desire for vengeance that only grew.

He vowed vengeance on those that had entrapped him, and with the new found darkness inside him powering his magic, he hunted them down. And then, he hunted their associates down. And then, their families. Over the next two years, a half dozen deaths blossomed into twenty four, all at the hands of Corbin the Raven. The authorities cared little about the business, until Corbin expanded his vengeance upon more upper class members of society, those that pandered to and supported the thieves he exterminated. When the first of the middle class brokers died horribly, his body splayed and nailed to the door of his business, they became interested. After three more deaths, they closed in, and finally, captured Malifeek. It was in the darkness of the prison cells, while he awaited judgement, that the Lich Queen saved him again.

A secretive, but powerful cabal of businessmen and guilds, The Black Hands, were always seeking recruits for the dirtier sides of their business operations. They discovered Corbin's talents for haunting ruins, finding lost treasure, and his propensity for violence. Once again, a deal was struck, this one more with the more mundane servants of the Lich-Queen. A collar, and the release from the dungeons, in exchange for his services as a hunter for the Hands. Ever practical, the Lich-Queen believed that a body dying in the dungeons was a waste of life, and melded her desires with those of more worldly people, to free her servant.

Personality: Corbin is likely insane, and if not, is at least psychotic. Very much a loner, from being bullied and abused his early life, he has dedicated himself to the Lich-Queen, whom he believes has saved his life twice. His devotion to Her is near fanatical, and tempered only by his own desire for violence and vengeance. By Her word, he has accepted the collar of a slave, and a life in the secret society of Black Hands, and by Her command, he has grudgingly come to accept his duties as a seeker for the Hands.

Corbin acts with typical human morals and ethics, but he believes them to be mere trappings that She requires so that he can operate in society. Raven will never be invited to social functions, any more than you invite a rabid dog to a wedding. Typically alone and aloof, he shuns most interactions, except those of his squadmates, and even with them, he is cool and reserved, because the conventions of normal interaction are foreign to him.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Flood Flood
Admin Dirk; it's a great character concept and I'm happy to accept it. I'll look forward to seeing how he fits in with the other party members. What Domains are you selecting?

Kaylara, a Lillend would fit into the campaign's story and could present interesting challenges for the party. However after checking the Planar Handbook (pages 26 & 27) they wouldn't be the easiest race to play and I would worry that the other party members would outpace you at higher levels. If you drop me a PM we can discuss it more
Old 11-09-2019, 10:45 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5436
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
right-aligned image

Name: Willow the worthless wizard AKA Weeping Willow

Race: Human Male

Class: Wizard Illusionist

Background: Sage

Traits: I am tolerant of other races and faiths. I always expect the worst so I am never disappointed, but occasionally surprised.

Ideal: I will never give up no matter how often I fail

Bond: I am obligated to help fellow wizards when they ask for it.

Flaws: I am an alcoholic

Appearance: I am a disheveled forty year old gentlemen with a unkempt beard, shabby robes, an eye patch, and I don’t bathe too often, so I’m often covered in dirt. My hair hasn’t been cut in some time, and my clothes need washing.

Personality: I am a very gloomy and depressed downtrodden individual with low self-esteem. I always expect the worst and I am rarely disappointed. My failures weigh heavily on my and I try to drink my despair away which is where I spend most of my gold. I am not judgmental of others, because who am I to judge, so I can tolerate a lot of questionable behavior from others. Despite all of this, I keep trying and never give up.

Backstory:

RP Sample:

Last edited by Togot; 11-10-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:13 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 59392
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Happy to accept the concept my character application is accepted in the game?
Old 11-10-2019, 04:00 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Flood Flood
Apologies Dirk, happy to accept the character concept. I'm new to the site and realise that characters need to be accepted in the game (once created).

Togart, another wizard would be welcome. Can you give some background on your character? Such as why isn't he a successful mage? Where they is he from? What are his motivations? Traits, Ideal and Bond are 5E but you need any help then feel free to drop me a PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:47 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5436
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
changes made, somehow i pasted two rp samples instead of my backstory. sorry about that. the main reason he is bad at magic is good old fashion incompetence
Old 11-10-2019, 09:26 PM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19270
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
ok, updated...
Old 11-11-2019, 06:26 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Flood Flood
Hi all.

Quick update; I was kept at work late today so didn't have much time this evening. The Game has been created (yay!) and I've made a start on the various threads and background. Unpolished and in need of editing but the basics are there.

We have 4 firm (and provisionally accepted) character concepts from Dirk, Jared, Kaylara and Togot. What the party is lacking at the moment is a fighter. Clawsome you have submitted a fighter and I will send you a PM tomorrow to see if we can work on a character together, at the moment there isn't enough detail. Failing that I can always NPC a mute fighter in the interim.

Goodnight all!
Old 11-12-2019, 06:02 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Flood Flood
Another late finish at work today, short staffed at the moment which means more to get done (transport management...not very exciting).

Link to Game is below, please submit your character sheets whilst I complete Thread creation and setting. I'll be done within the next 24hrs. Thank you everyone for your patience!

Link to Game