Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-16-2020, 06:05 PM
Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1392
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Anyone else who's into cartoons, I'd really recomend Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. (I know, I was a skeptic at first!) Its funny, the style and animation is snappy and pleasant to watch, and the relationships are well written; anyone with siblings I'm sure will agree

Last edited by Wishkamon; 03-16-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:16 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
chongjasmine
I am not currently watching any show. Guess I am more of a book person.
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3047
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Nice! Thanks for the recommendation! I have added some streaming services since being on lockdown!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishkamon View Post
Anyone else who's into cartoons, I'd really recomend Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. (I know, I was a skeptic at first!) Its funny, the style and animation is snappy and pleasant to watch, and the relationships are well written; anyone with siblings I'm sure will agree

So now I'm curious: are there any book to movie or book to series adaptions that you have particularly liked? For myself, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the original Netflix series adapted from the Anne of Avonlea novel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
I am not currently watching any show. Guess I am more of a book person.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14670
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Watched "The Good Place." I liked it, but I think it's over-rated (at least by the people who recommended it to me as the greatest TV comedy of all time). The cast was lovable, and the concept was original, but the idea and many of the running gags all had a pretty short shelf life (I get it already, the writers hate Jacksonville). Four seasons is a relatively short run and it was wearing out its welcome toward the end. Still, Bad Janet is one of my favorite TV characters in a while. "What's up, fork nuts?" Cracked me up every time. I think there's a little Shawn in me.

Gave Parks and Rec a try but quit after a few episodes. I felt like if they were going to riff on the Office that hard, they needed a much stronger cast to pull it off. Amy Pohler is definitely no Steve Carrell, and the supporting cast wasn't nearly as strong as the Office's cast.* The "Dwight" character (Pohler's boss) fell especially flat for me. I may give it another few episodes if anyone can promise me it gets better.

* Yes, I know Rashida Jones was on the Office for a while, but she was never on a par with the core group on that show.
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 65140
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
We don't have network or cable TV, so it's all DVD's for us.

Just rewatched Princess Bride last night.

Still a classic.
Old Today, 03:23 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13375
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdove View Post
Gave Parks and Rec a try but quit after a few episodes. I felt like if they were going to riff on the Office that hard, they needed a much stronger cast to pull it off. Amy Pohler is definitely no Steve Carrell, and the supporting cast wasn't nearly as strong as the Office's cast.* The "Dwight" character (Pohler's boss) fell especially flat for me. I may give it another few episodes if anyone can promise me it gets better.

* Yes, I know Rashida Jones was on the Office for a while, but she was never on a par with the core group on that show.
I remember I felt similar about the show to start, but the first season is truly the weakest. If I remember it correctly it's also one where Leslie still feels like she might actually not be good at her job and too much of the focus is on failure and frustration, which changes quite a lot in a very short time along with retooling of a lot of other characters. I suppose the office references are apt at that point, but later on the show differentiates itself well enough.

If the first season weren't so short I would recommend skipping it altogether.

Basically the second is much better, already producing a few classic episodes. We get most of the sidecharacters with their final personalities and features (that actually work), a character or two will be dropped and by the end of it there's even a few new main characters established. By the third it completely comes into its own.

Last edited by Phettberg; Today at 03:25 AM.