User Statistics
RPXP: 71
SebDarling
Urban Shadows: Manhattan Blues

Game NameUrban Shadows: Manhattan Blues
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
Themedark, intrigue
Flavourserious, gritty, collaborative
Plot SummaryThey call it the city that never sleeps, but most people don't know how true that is. After the last light on Broadway goes down, after the last of the last calls, the part of the city most are oblivious to remains awake and active. The answer to who the real monsters are will belong to the players as we explore the city by night and learn what dangers and delights it holds
MeHi, I'm Seb. I'm not new to PbP or to running PbtA games, but this will be my first time running Urban Shadows. I'm a firm believer that RPGs are collaborative storytelling tools. I'm much more interested in finding out what happens than in telling you what happens, and I really enjoy letting players contribute to the world around them. I can post pretty regularly, at a minimum once every evening and often in the morning or afternoon too (which doesn't mean that I necessarily expect that rate from players).
YouI would like players who are engaged with the fiction, who are interested in telling a story with me. I would caution against getting too invested in a character concept just yet, because we will do some discussion and run a "first session" style thread for character creation, so some things may change what concepts work. I would like a post every other day on average, but I'm not going to complain if it's less than that (or more). Basically, as long as the game keeps moving on, I am happy.
The StoryI don't have much in mind for a story yet. I have a few seeds of things that might crop up, but I also know that what you all come up with will give me plenty more to work from than I could make up on my own. As of now, my intent is to run something a little more serious and more on the gritty end than a typical game, as Urban Shadows lends itself really well and is designed with this kind of tone in mind. That doesn't mean levity and hope won't be a part of the story, though; shadows are darkest when they block the brightest light.
The GameWe'll be using the Urban Shadows and Dark Streets books. If there are homebrew or third party playbooks you're interested in, we can absolutely discuss that when we do character creation. I am inclined not to allow content from the WoD conversion, because it changes the fiction in ways I'm not crazy about. Pretty much everything else is on the table for discussion.
The ApplicationSince character applications don't really work with this format, an introduction and writing sample is the best way to gauge fit. Tell me a little about yourself and your interest in this game, then rite me a short scene that takes place in the dark underbelly of the city. Neither part needs to be elaborate or long, just give me a taste of your characterization and the kind of subject matter you lean toward touching on.

I'm looking to kick off the first thread by June 6th, so anyone still considering should submit an app by then.

Last edited by SebDarling; 05-27-2020 at 08:35 PM. Reason: add deadline
Old 05-20-2020, 11:15 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 422
Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq
Would we need to buy the book or is there a free SRD offered somewhere legal?
Old 05-20-2020, 11:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
SebDarling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettq View Post
Would we need to buy the book or is there a free SRD offered somewhere legal?
A description of the system is available from the publisher's site that, when paired with the downloadable moves sheet and playbooks, is probably enough to play, especially if you've ever played Apocalypse World, Dungeon World or any similar game in the Powered by the Apocalypse family. I'm also happy to explain rules/system for folks! So I guess as a short answer: having the book/pdf is helpful but I don't think it's necessary.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:29 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Lol, I found the sights home page but somehow missed all the downloads on it. I might make a character, either a tainted or a wizard if I do.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:55 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3238
Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard
This looks right up my alley. I have room for one more game, so I'll give it a shot. Hopefully you get a good showing of like-minded players to choose from!

I love storygames and worldbuilding. I was recently telling another group that my hierarchy of needs are fun > story > character > "winning". My style tends to match the group dynamic, so if everyone wants to run around and whack orcs over the head with swords, that's what I'll do. And there's definitely a place for that. I'm more engaged when we're creating drama through our characters. While I enjoy using my creativity to add to a setting and plot, I also like a GM who can surprise me with something new and clever.

I don't have much experience with Urban Shadows (more of a Monsterhearts guy), but I own the main book and can jump in easily. I wrote the below scene to fit the world and show my writing. I likely wouldn't play one of these characters if I participate, though I think they'd make great NPCs.

One mid-summer night in New York

Old 05-22-2020, 03:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
SebDarling
Thanks! And yes, I definitely agree that it's about a back and forth with world-building together. When the GM and players can layer on top of what each other contribute, it really gets good.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:56 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 847
Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent
I'm sold! Sounds interesting... and then I read Spoonybard's intro and I'm hooked.
Please sign me up for more of this.

I've never played Urban Shadow, but perusing the starter materials it looks very different. I'd like to partake in this adventure to change direction and try out a different system and style of play. I'm used to DnD from 2E to 5E, but do enjoy creative writing and developing atmosphere.

I'm very new to RPGX and play by post, though. I've gotten very invested in a few applications thus far and not had much luck, but I'm open to feedback. I enjoy character and story, as well as world-building. I got to participate in one group combat before a game died out and it was actually quite fun. PbP lets you add a little more fluff around the rolls, which I enjoy.

Politics and Packages

Last edited by Arjent; 05-23-2020 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:00 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, my name's garrett, I very much enjoy urban fantasy as a genre, and dark toned games in general. In particular I really like the playing the factions aspect, and rising in power as an organization not just an individual. I also really loved playing the infernal in a monsterheart game, and I'm happy to have an opportunity to play a similar character in a more mature setting.

Just Another errand"I just don't understand you people... what could they possibly offer you that compares to eternity?"

I ignored the old man. He was just trying the only chance he had left, bound up tight as he was, talking me down was just about his only hope. Only reason he was still breathing was in case I had to torture him to find the package, and he knew it. I continued running my hands along the fine brick walls of his office, carefully feeling for anything that shouldn't be. His question didn't move me, jackasses like this wondering how anyone could work for hell were just annoying. 'your trading temporary reward on earth for eternity in hell!', oh wow never thought of that. Its just like those smug idiots who make fun of Buddhists for 'desiring' enlightenment when the core of their faith says to eliminate desires. Yes, somehow you who's never cracked and probably doesn't even know the name of their holy text noticed such a hole in the religion that never occurred to the billion odd people betting their souls on it! I got on my knees to search lower.

"Just think about it son, its never too late to rep-"

"Shuttup," I hadn't brought duck tape and I didn't want to cut the man's tongue out. One it was a gruesome chore, and two he seemed like one of the real ones. Seemed genuinely concerned and sad for me, not afraid or angry or panicked, you didn't see that often, not even in clergyman.

Still the fact remains I'd thought about it plenty, of course I had, wouldn't have stayed topside this long if I was goddamn idiot. Evil triumphed more often then good. Why would it be any different on the celestial conflict then on earth? Cause it'd be really sad? Because that book says that your God is totally all powerful and you don't need to worry? Give me a break. Betting I had a better chance at a good afterlife being a useful tool for the winning side then going to bible study. Besides even if they were 100% correct, even if I am screwed, I was on my way downstairs long before Malthuza put me on payroll.

I found what I was looking for, opened the hidden door to reveal a safe. Before I put my ear to it I turned back to my captive.

"Not long now pal, might want to say your hail marry's or whatever," I said with mild, but genuine, sympathy. He just let out a defeated sigh.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2342
Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth
Some Pre Game RPing
Looks like fun. Bought the books off DriveThru RPG. Interesting.

Last edited by Hyregoth; 05-25-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
SebDarling
The apps so far all look really nice! I'll give another week or so and set applications as due on June 6 to give anyone lurking a chance to put something together. Plus, my physical book will get here by Friday and that'll give me time to have the right resources put up in the game forum, too.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:50 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
SebDarling
Hey y'all. I am still plugging away at getting the game forum up to snuff with info and resources. I'm still going to leave us open 'til the 6th for anyone else who might happen along, but I'm definitely happy enough to run with three if that's what we have. Mostly I'm hyped at the prospect of getting to try out the system!
Old 06-08-2020, 03:12 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 847
Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent
Hi SebDarling,

My humblest apologies, but I've got to back out of this application.

I started DMing a bit unexpectedly in West Marches and don't want to get overwhelmed with a new system.

Best of luck on this one and I'll see you around the site and hopefully catch your next game!
Old 06-08-2020, 11:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
SebDarling
Thanks for the heads up! I am still working on getting the actual threads up, I will expect to have them tomorrow, but for the other three who applied, welcome aboard!