Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > Roleplaying Experiences
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-10-2018, 10:51 PM
The red pandas are coming

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19545
LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA
Impressively long-running thread. I can't say I understand why exactly, but I do enjoy playing female characters more than male. Some 80% of characters I make across all games are female. I should probably bring it up with my therapist

If I had to venture some guesses, I would say:

- I already know what it's like to be a guy.
- In general, I find guys to be... not as fun to be around. Loud, crass, emotionally unavailable... just a lot of the traditional 'masculine' traits I find annoying.
- I prefer looking at girls to guys. I'd rather watch my pretty hot character slay monsters than some stupidly ripped shirtless guy.
- The attention from other characters is honestly nice. Annoying sometimes, but I guess that will teach me a little empathy
Old 08-21-2018, 07:38 PM
S. John Ross

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Ghalev Ghalev Ghalev Ghalev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocularity View Post
Who else does this regularly, Roleplaying a gender different to their own? Have you ever encountered any complications or Criticisms? And what about DMing NPCs of a different gender? Does it differ between doing so as a DM and doing so as a player? How does it compare to playing a race that differs vastly to Humanity itself? I'm curious to hear a few thoughts on this.
I'd say I cross gender maybe every six or seven PCs, on average ... so, regularly, but not usually? Ish?

I've never experienced any particular complications or criticisms; my gaming groups usually have a gender mix of players, also, and I really only play with RP-centric groups, so it's a normal thing in those circles.

Which isn't to say I've never felt self-conscious about it. If I'm gaming with strangers (at a game shop, or convention) I tend to NOT cross gender, not because I've had a bad experience, but rather because I've seen others do so, and would rather play it safe in those situations.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:07 AM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8876
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
I used to play all male characters until a friend in my gaming group decided to play a female character because his wife(our only female player) would only play male characters. I decided to play a female character too, and have continued to play female characters off and on to this day. To me, my female characters seem to stand out more then my male characters.

All in all my ratio of male/female characters are: table top: 60/40, pbp: 40/60, mmo: 20/80(prefer 3rd person view over 1st person)

And the only time it ever got uncomfortable for me in table top gaming was when my smoking hot female Shadow Psion was injured by a trapped door and she failed her Constitution save when drinking two 'Dwarven Ale Healing Elixirs' and got roaring drunk. My friend(playing a Rogue), the same one I mentioned above, took advantage of my character and after rolling some dice the DM said I was pregnant. What made it uncomfortable was that the other three players(including my friends wife) completely ignored what what was happening....in the same room. They all became very interested in disabling the trapped door that had injured my character in the first place.

Of course, I didn't make it any more comfortable when I leaned over to my friend, looked him right in the eye and said, 'How about next game I play "our" daughter as a character that is a Psion/Rogue.' I then went on suggesting if it was twins we could both play "our" children.

Now that I think of it, he never did do anything like that again

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Fri: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: UNAVAILABLE

Last edited by Silk; 11-19-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:11 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1061
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
I'm a guy. Most of my characters are male. Most.

However, at present I am playing in a game called Schoolgirl Ninjas. Initially, I was quite ambivalent about the game, not just because the PCs are female, but because they're female and young. I was worried about my ability to roleplay the character convincingly. And I was worried that some players might see it as an outlet for their dirty-old-man-ism.

Surprisingly, it worked out really well and is now the group's preferred game. My character is even in a romantic relationship with an NPC. And none of it feels weird in the way that I worried. It just feels like... roleplaying.

My advice is: If you're going to roleplay the other sex, do so properly. Adjust your interactions with other characters accordingly. Have an idea of what you want to do with the character that factors in their sex. And don't engage in dirty-old-man-ism. That's just creepy.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:20 AM
Ein Úlfur

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5828
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Hi! First time to post here.

I generally find that I tend to decide on which gender to play based on what the PC's personality would be. If it's more the brooding, aloof and emotionally-guarded kind, I tend to decide on a male PC; if it's fun-loving, witty and spunky, I tend to decide on a female gender. I also tend to see female PCs as underdogs, which makes victories against big baddies especially satisfying.

That being said, some PCs I play here in this site don't fit into those molds, so maybe I don't have a system at all.

By way of statistics, I currently play male 50% of the time, and I applied to a currently recruiting game as a male raccoon.

@Silk, that is just awful (on the part of your friend; poor wife!). Not cool at all. I guess he was just "playing his alignment"?

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; 11-21-2019 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:13 AM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8876
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanshiiWithWulfs View Post
@Silk, that is just awful (on the part of your friend; poor wife!). Not cool at all. I guess he was just "playing his alignment"?
His goto alignment was CN so I'd say yes. don't really remember after all these years what that character's alignment was.

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Fri: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: UNAVAILABLE

Last edited by Silk; 11-21-2019 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:11 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 660
InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher
I usually prefer to play female characters mainly because I like to draw the female figure more. But I have always jumped back and forth between genders and even the full spectrum of ages. Usually it just comes down to what feels right for the specific situation that I'm getting pulled into~

I don't see it being a problem in most groups that I have been in, considering most of the friends that I have made over the years have a tendency to bounce back and forth as well.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:52 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 600
BlindScribe BlindScribe BlindScribe BlindScribe BlindScribe BlindScribe
I play a mixed amount of genders, and sometimes a surprising amount of females come when I have sudden character ideas. I think it's probably because I see my PCs not as versions of me, but friends of mine, and I can relate to people who are prone to deep talks and don't shy away from talking about emotions.

Also, I tend to play female characters in video games, which sometimes made me think about my preferences, until a good friend of mine (working in game development, so lots of experience with design) asked me if I preferred to watch a female's bottoms or a male's bottoms for hours on. And them I understood it
Old 02-06-2020, 05:45 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
The Fifth Baldwin
I’m a male player but I sometimes play female characters. I usually do it just to mix things up and play something outside my comfort zone. Other times, I’ll have a character concept in mind, and it just happens to work better as a woman. I never really put more thought into it than that.

Obviously though, I always try to be mindful about stereotypes. With good characters, the gender often becomes a moot point.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:10 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 136
SpecialKay329 SpecialKay329
One of the things I like about text-based rpg is that it feels easier to play non-female characters. I’m playing an agender kenku character in a campaign that uses voice-chat, and it’s pretty common for other players to refer to them with “she/her” pronouns because I’m a cisgender woman with a very female-presenting voice. It’s an honest mistake and doesn’t really bother me, but it definitely keeps me from playing male characters over voice chat because I feel like it kills the immersion a bit. Text-based lets me “voice” my character however I like, so I don’t feel so limited in terms of gender, age, accent, etc.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:26 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Phalion
I'm a curious one. I mean, I never really feel comfortable checking either/or with gender boxes, but my ID says I'm a woman and I'm generally pretty girly, so... Yup! All I can say is I'm not a guy. In roleplaying, for the better part of a decade, I only really utilized male characters as cameos and NPCs. Even though I have tomboyish tendencies for sure, masculinity beyond a certain point tends to feel alien to me.

And yet, over the past few months, I started challenging myself to create and RP as male characters with a diverse array of personalities. I've got a k-pop style singer/actor (resembles a Tiefling) who's dad is a syndicate boss. His twin bro's is brawny, violent, and oozes machismo as the syndicate's deadly enforcer.

I've got a male assassin with so much trauma from scrambled memories that he doesn't know where his personality starts and where his many "characters" end. Like a hyper-lethal method actor. His adoptive mom and sister are the only ones who can really remind him of who he really is.

It feels strange to channel this sort of energy. Usually, when I act masculine IRL, it's just me being silly and pretending to bro' out for a few laughs. I'm a bit of a rebel, overall. I tend to not even include a gender section in my character sheets because I'd rather just let my characters be who they are, no matter what that might be. Same with orientation. I tend to let them be pan at default and let them tell the audience what they're into over time...or uh, instantly, if they're promiscuous.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:39 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 459
Karver Karver Karver Karver Karver
My first experience roleplaying was as a pre-teen. That first character was definitely the personified hero of my own imagined image and gave me a wonderful way to have some control over my chaotic life. After that short experience I moved to a new state, found a new group of gamers and really got into exploration through roleplay. I mostly played characters, male or female, that had the personal traits I’d wished I had seen in the adults around me. But they were all pretty simple and not very deep.

The first character I actually cared about was a female character (I’m male) in a Dark Sun AD&D setting. I think I made her after watching Heavy Metal and modeled her after that heroine. I’m not sure why, but I was very connected to her. Maybe it was how honest I felt playing her. I could be vulnerable and caring and my friends just thought I was being “in character.” Mind you, they played a LOT of murder hobos.

Since then, every character I’ve played and cared about across all platforms, has been female. Im sure a lot of that has to do with dealing with the failures of my mother (she died young from addiction complications) and the fact that my first born is a young woman. I think playing a female character has even helped me relate to my wife better.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:38 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1061
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
For me, I think it's less of an issue of the character's In the MMORPG community, where I've spent a lot of time, this is an issue which keeps coming up.
And there seems to be a certain group of gamers who think that men who play female characters must secretly want to be women.
physical sex, and more about personality traits. Playing a female character allows me to experiment with more feminine personality traits - empathy, compassion, gentleness, social connectedness. These are all things a male character could have, in principle. But playing a female character just makes it easier, somehow.

Last edited by telcontar; 03-16-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:39 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Helmheid Helmheid
I personally don't have any preference for character gender. I am equally as comfortable to play males and females and often do both, just as I'm comfortable playing very young and very old characters despite being a man in his 30s.

In the olden days of Greek teatre, acting was done exclusively by men - what is now almost exclusive to drag used to be commonplace - men played all female roles. And seeing as I treat RP as I would acting, where my character is entirely disconnected from who I am, my age, gender, beliefs, morality and so forth, I consider playing characters different to myself an interesting challenge - it's not just a matter of making a female character to me and acting as I would being a man - the whole enjoyment comes from learning how a woman works on every level from physical to mental and emotional, and getting into that character's skin to act out the role - and nothing gives me more satisfaction than being told by a woman that I would have fooled her if she didn't know who was behind the character.

I know there are plenty of guys that play female characters as an outlet for fantasies and such, but in reality are entirely oblivious to a female psyche, of how a woman feels and thinks and instead portray women as they want or expect them to be - it's a bit sad but each to their own. Not my cup of tea so to say, I'm a realism junkie.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:19 PM
Rancidly Strange

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 323
PHIL 490 PHIL 490 PHIL 490 PHIL 490
I enjoy playing Females and I'm a guy IRL. Its fun and rewarding to try something different. But what about when you DM? How many DMs have women in positions of power in their game world. I know it can be challenging to do that, but its more realistic. Also when I DM I use many races as well in power positions. The lord is a Gnome?? Its fun to twist those boundaries honestly...