Game Thread Prologue: The Calm Before... - Page 9 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The End of an Era > Archived Chapters
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2017, 01:51 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 959
Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard Kaneda Shepard
Kesh stood up and wobbled a little bit, his buzz had become stronger, but when he heard of the gnome and sobered up a little bit.

I would love to teach that little gnome a lesson, maybe a good swift punch to the face, yes that would make me most happy!" Unfortunately it would not happened, the ale had taken a toll on the Dragonborn much of his memory was in a haze, when he snapped out of it he found himself in a room with a bunch of other people, still with a couple pints in his hands, at least his body knew what to do he thought to himself.

"Aiden, what has happened? Where are we? Who are all these people? One of you smells very nice." He began to say as he sniffed the air. He then noticed more of his surroundings and took a drunkidly look around the room and smelled the air.

He then began listening to the people, it seemed as if they were trying to find someone. Kesh decided that maybe he should put down the drinks. He placed them on the desk as he continued to listen. He then noticed Aiden making a comment of getting some things done but himself chose to stay behind with the others as he needed to sober himself up.

"Aiden! If your going to find that gnome, give him a good one for me!" He commented to the human then turned to the others, "That gnome tried to use magic to beat me earlier, scum he is." He said still feeling the effects of the alcohol. "Who are all of you since we are all still here. My name is Kimbatuul Kesh Varakas, and as you can see I am a Dragonborn. I will aid you in your search as my friend seems to have taken interest in finding this person. What do we know so far? And I apologize but the ale had finally taken me, I'm much better now." He said as he waited for their response.

Last edited by Kaneda Shepard; Jul 20th, 2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 806
Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded
Spirovir
left-aligned image
With the Dragonborn's slightly tipsy words, all of them had agreed to join the search. He addresses the room, "Good, looks like everyone's on board. "

As he starts talking, Spirovir paces around the room, "Here's what I know so far. About 10 people, all visitors to the village, have disappeared. The mayor is trying to keep it a secret, so it doesn't drive away tourists. The nearest place 10 people could be kept hidden without being noticed is the forest to the North. There's a chapel there, the clergy had some disagreements in the past with villagers over logging on sacred ground. Their symbol is a unicorn.
"

Spirovir tries to
Dice Religion:
1d20-1 (10)-1 Total = 9
remember if knows of any god whose symbol is a unicorn.

"Let's search for clues in here, and meet up again tomorrow morning. We can talk to the wife before we head for the forest."

Last edited by Fadonsuded; Jul 20th, 2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 10:32 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29241
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Kimbra
left-aligned image
Kimbra stared at the dragonborn in stunned amusement as he babbled, finally giggling as he seemed to wind down. Oh, this one should be lots of fun! she thought to herself. Reaching out for one of the mugs in his hand, she grinned, "Think you might've had enough to drink for now, there, Big Guy."

She went back to listening to Spirovir...seemed he'd been busy. His theory was sound, except for one thing. Clearing her throat, she offered, "It's a good place to start, but, um...how do we know they're being kept anywhere?" Glancing around at the others, she added, "Keeping hostages is kinda risky, especially ten of them, all locals who apparently have people who will miss them. What if it's the "Church of Dismemberment In The Name Of The Unicorn"?"

Last edited by The Rat Queen; Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 586
Lykaen Lykaen Lykaen Lykaen Lykaen Lykaen
Arrow
left-aligned image
The elf perked up from his spot on the wall and began to approach Spirovir, not in a threatening way, but certainly with a peculiar intensity.

"I agree with the little one - this is more than a little suspicious. Do we have any reason to believe they are in this church, other than 'it is the only location nearby that is suitable'? Moreover, why do we suspect they are alive? Were I the one behind the disappearances, I would simply slit their throats, especially if they're naught more than poor villagers... assuming I had a reason to kill them, of course."

The elf clears his throat. "Do not mistake me: I fully intend to investigate these disappearances. I only wonder why you can seem so certain as to the location of these supposed hostages. That being said... I would investigate this gaudy man in the town center that the missing man's wife was speaking to. A disappearance is nothing to brush off; I would know why he seems so assured this is not anything to worry about. Of course..." he trails off, lost in thought. He turns to Kimbra. "That man wouldn't happen to be the mayor, would he?
The nonchalance from him would, at least, make a good deal of sense?"

As he ponders the questions before the party, the man looks up gravely and announces, "Lest I forget, you may call me Arrow if it please you. If it does not... you may still call me Arrow."
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Bahamut's Finest

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 467
Chaoticinsignia Chaoticinsignia Chaoticinsignia Chaoticinsignia Chaoticinsignia

Old Jul 20th, 2017, 11:32 AM
All The Avatars!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 766
Emmanem Emmanem Emmanem Emmanem Emmanem Emmanem Emmanem
"and why these 10?" Soleil murmured almost absently as she carefully pawed through the belongings. It was mostly clothing, above par, but nothing extravagant. This person, at least, was well off. Could be for money. Taking someone with a wife was of note, either they didn't know or were unconcerned with getting caught. She folded the items back, neater than before and now also ordered by color. "The missing, do you know who they are?" Kimbra was troublingly correct and the surety in which Spirovir said it put her on edge again.

Strictly, she hadn't accepted this proposition, but well... she looked over at Kesh. He was more drunk than she had assessed from afar. He was here in this tavern, in this moment, and things felt more familiar as time passed. She'd stick around.

"There's also this?" She held up the small box. "Locked." She was torn. The lock was explicit in the owners wish for it to stay secret, but knowledge was for knowing, especially with lives on the line.

Rolls

Old Jul 20th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Bahamut's Finest

Tools
User Statistics
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Bahamut's Finest

Tools
User Statistics
SoleilThere are no woman's belongings present in the room. You find it unlikely that the man missing from this room was the husband of the woman Kimbra saw earlier.
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Spirovir
left-aligned image
Spirovir responds to the party member's questions. "Death is certainly a possibility. Either way they would have to keep the bodies somewhere. The forest to the North is the closest location where they could do that. With the exception of the North, the area around the village is surrounded by farmland. And no, I do not know the identities of the missing people, other then the fact that they were all visitors, not locals, and one of them was renting this room. And I will reiterate, we cannot have the mayor find out we know about the disappearances."
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 11:59 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Kimbra
left-aligned image
Kimbra squinted an eye at Arrow at the "little one" comment. "Not my fault you didn't have the good sense to stop growing..." she muttered, but nodded at his follow-up to her suggestion. Answering his question with a shrug, she admits, "I dunno if he was actually the mayor. He seemed to have more concern for dressing proper, and less sense on how to actually do it. Sounds mayorish to me."

She listens to Soleil a moment...interesting, she hadn't considered that the ten might have been specifically targeted. As the elf points out the locked box, Kim scoffs and holds out her hand with a smirk, "Locks are just goodies playing hard to get. Give to Kimmy."

Last edited by The Rat Queen; Jul 20th, 2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4034
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
In the middle of the group's conversation, Aiden returns to the room with a wide smile on his face.

I'm back! So... did I miss anything exciting? Don't feel like you need to fill me in - I'm sure I'll pick up the gist as I move along.

With this, he pushes into the center of the room to feign interest in looking around it. As he walks around "investigating" he accidentally bumps into Kimbra.

Oops... sorry about that - I was so preoccupied with this oh so interesting caper that I didn't see you down there!

Aiden subtly winks at Kimbra and then turns to the rest of the party.

Well, it's getting late - perhaps we should pick things up tomorrow? I fear that the perpetrators of this dastardly deed may return to the scene of the crime, so I will bravely volunteer to sleep in the bed here tonight. Hopefully the rest of you have other - safer - accommodations. Where should we all meet in the morning?

Last edited by Agrudez; Jul 20th, 2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 12:11 PM
All The Avatars!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 766
Emmanem Emmanem Emmanem Emmanem Emmanem Emmanem Emmanem
"The Unicorn symbol is for Mielliki, a goddess of forest, so their anger makes sense but the retaliation less so. Their teachings don't strike me as condoning abduction..." Soleil seemed to realize she was talking a lot and stilled. She handed the locked box to Kimbra and clasped her hands in front of herself as if waiting for instruction.

Last edited by Emmanem; Jul 20th, 2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Spirovir
left-aligned image
Spirovir firmly grasps the human on the shoulder. "For tonight, this is my room. You can get a bedroll in one of the tents outside."

Can't let them see me while I'm asleep.

"We can meet up again tomorrow downstairs over breakfast."

Old Jul 20th, 2017, 12:29 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
Kimbra
left-aligned image
Kimbra caught her balance as the clumsy bard nearly toppled her over, muttering under her breath. Brushing herself off, she takes the box from Soleil, beginning to inspect it, before everyone is unceremoniously shooed out.

"Such gentlemanly behavior, fighting over the room while kicking the ladies out" she grumbled. Not that she had any intention of staying in the room...she had her own room reserved and it wouldn't cost a thing!

Heading downstairs, and outside the tavern, she looked around for a way to climb up to the roof of the tavern for a little peace and quiet, and some shut-eye.

Old Jul 20th, 2017, 12:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4034
Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez Agrudez
Aiden gently takes Spirovir's hand and removes it from his shoulder with a smile on his face that is growing difficult to make look sincere. Assumption confirmed - we aren't going to get along.

Have it your way, I suppose.

As they left the room, the bard glanced at Kimbra and felt disappointment that she didn't seem interested in reciprocating. Maybe it was an act for the others? Aiden shrugged and continued back down to the tavern. He watched as Kimbra immediately exited and looked back at the others: Arrow, Kesh and... the quiet one (Soleil). He looked towards the latter.

Perhaps you told the others while I was out of the room, but I don't believe I caught your name, miss? Mine is Aiden Hawthorne and the pleasure of our acquaintance is all mine - I assure you.

He smiles and performs a curt bow.

I caught your information on the unicorn symbol - you seem rather learned. Do you, perhaps, know anything else about this cult that may be of use? Or of the surrounding area in general?

He walks over to the table Kesh and he had been at earlier - pleased to see that the pair's wine, ale and pork dinner was still there waiting for them. He grabs another chair from a nearby table and pulls it towards this one to make three before sitting down himself.