RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12133
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
The House Rules

I finally decided that it was time to put my House Rules up for everyone to see. After this point they are alterable only by myself. They're still open for discussion.

Character Creation:
This effort will always be 32 point buy, standard wealth for the level, starting level will change as the game progresses. It is always nice to have a background that meshes with existing story-lines.
Posting:
I expect writing in every post. There should never be any posts that do not have some aspect of character development in it. Thoughts, actions, or speaking. No dice rolls alone.

Special: edited dice rolls. These are cursed and therefore you will be cursed.
Rolls:
Rolls can be done in a number of methods. I especially like rolling in private threads and linking back. Rolling in the game thread is also an acceptable method. Some Rolls are outside the players control and I roll these. That list is below.
Auto Criticals and Fumbles:
Criticals: I offer you automatic criticals if you should roll within your crit range. Just go ahead and add an extra post with the extra damage in it.
Fumbles: In this event, I may choose to be descriptive and or narrative to suit my sense of what just happened. I have in the past had critical fumbles result in amputations or some other malady. Mechanically, I sometimes offer a -2 penalty to the next round and let it go.
Experience points:
I've tried different things to create a balanced way of getting experience points to players. The most expeditious way is to offer adhoc awards periodically along with level advancement periodically. I know this does not work out mechanically with the story line but since game time is so skewed in pbp, we'll go with this. Expect something every three months or so.
Another thing that I offer xp awards for is chain posting role-play. This applies when characters go off on their own and make the scene extended just among themselves. It should be noted that these posts should be appropriate to the scene and not a bunch of fluff.
Stat Blocks:
I need every player to make a Stat Block to be posted with every THIRD or FOURTH post. This block should look like the example below. It should include:

Name: Current xp; AC; HP; Saves; Attack bonuses and primary damage; All Class skill mods; All cross-class skill mods with ranks; Current affects; Special notes.

• AC: ##/##/##, HP: ##/## , Saves(F/R/W): +##(+##)/+##/+##(+##), Attack Bonus: +##/+## Listen +##, Spot +##, Intimidate +##, Move Silently +##, Hide +##, Survival +##, etc.......
The final note
This is all I can think of at the moment. I'll be looking back into some that I've used in the past to see if they are relevant and post them here.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:19 AM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
No big changes but I'd like to see some renewal on these two items.

Experience pointsExperience points:

I've tried different things to create a balanced way of getting experience points to players. The most expeditious way is to offer adhoc awards periodically along with level advancement periodically. I know this does not work out mechanically with the story line but since game time is so skewed in pbp, we'll go with this. Expect something every three months or so.

Another thing that I offer xp awards for is chain posting role-play. This applies when characters go off on their own and make the scene extended just among themselves. It should be noted that these posts should be appropriate to the scene and not a bunch of fluff.

So, as an inbetween adhoc xp awards and level advancement, I will be offering up alternative rewards like I did with the group recently. It'll be some non-standard types of things. Sometimes it will be items or additional powers or things that enhance characters but sometimes I want to make it less mechanics-oriented.

Stat blocks
Stat Blocks:

I need every player to make a Stat Block to be posted with every THIRD or FOURTH post. This block should look like the example below. It should include:

Name: Current xp; AC; HP; Saves; Attack bonuses and primary damage; All Class skill mods; All cross-class skill mods with ranks; Current affects; Special notes.

AC: ##/##/##, HP: ##/## , Saves(F/R/W): +##(+##)/+##/+##(+##), Attack Bonus: +##/+## Listen +##, Spot +##, Intimidate +##, Move Silently +##, Hide +##, Survival +##, etc.......

I'm thinking about this one still.

An example of how to post thisAC: ##/##/##, HP: ##/## , Saves(F/R/W): +##(+##)/+##/+##(+##), Attack Bonus: +##/+## Listen +##, Spot +##, Intimidate +##, Move Silently +##, Hide +##, Survival +##, etc.......MaesterBair reaches into his pouch to gather the necessary ingredients for his next spell.

Yeah, I'm thinking stat blocks and conditions should be attached to character names like the above examples every other post. If not that, I might have them stacked, copied, pasted, secreted, and spoilerbuttoned in each of my posts. Which would you prefer?

Last edited by Securis; 09-15-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11153
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
Whichever is easier for you, which IMHO means a stacked copied pasted secreted spoilerbuttoned in your posts.

Centralizing it in your posts would mean:
Pro
- less time searching for stat blocks, and thus easier to update the game.
- Centralized info. If something is incorrect, players have to take the initiative themselves (ie PM you or post in their private threads) to get you to fix it in your blurb, preferably by having a stat block with exactly the same layout in the first post of their private threads which you can just copy and replace in your blurb.
- Less hassle if people forget to include it in their post, or if they haven't posted lately.
- It takes less effort for each player to post, since they don't have to remember to include this.

Con
- More effort to edit an existing post by you, since you have to scroll through the masses of stat blocks.
- Familiars / Minions - do you want those included too?
- Initially compiling this would be a bit of work - preferably you should get everyone to have a stat block in the first post of their private threads using the same layout, and confirm that they have it up to date before you include it.

Point of attention:
- Skills. I'd advise you to only include the ones you'll probably need often. If you only need a skill incidentally, it's better to just look up the sheet to avoid clutter.
- Layout - tables? For ease of reference, the forum feature [table] might be a good idea to use. If you want, I can set a decent blank table up for you.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:12 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
An issue regarding invisibility and personal equipment was raised. While invisible, your personal equipment is visible to you. Items picked up after you are invisible remain visible to everyone.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:47 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
Called Shots can be:
  • A dice roll on which taking 20 can not be done but the need for a 20 is important.
  • A plot point which you would like introduced to suit your character.
  • A singular piece of information

I have thought about limiting how those three possibilities might be limited for fairness but I think leaving it open is just as fair. You only get three.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:07 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
I need each of you to fill in things that could be known about your character beside the DCs. Also, the DCs are negotiable if you feel they are too low. No, you can't raise them too high, maybe a few points each topping out at 40 as the highest but in the end Sageheart and I will set the DCs.

DC10:

DC13:

DC15:

DC17:

DC20:

DC25:

DC27:

DC30:

DC35:

Addendum: I'll allow two false items for all DCs below 17 but there also has to be a truth. 1 falsehood for DCs 17-20 plus true information and only true information for DCs above 20.

Last edited by Securis; 08-03-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:50 AM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7255
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart

Original Game Application Thread