High Fidelity Chapters 19-27 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > The Library > RPGX Book Club > Book Discussions
twitter facebook
0 1 7 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 15th, 2020, 11:19 PM
Come on, Fhqwhgads

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2165
Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder
High Fidelity Chapters 19-27

We're discussing HIgh Fidelity chapters 19-27 in this thread. It'll remain open for the duration of the read. See the book's info post for the complete discussion schedule.

Please discuss only chapters 19-27 here, and post no spoilers from later in the book!

Here's a refresher of the book's discussion questions:

Discussion Questions1 - Do you think Rob's misery is a stylistic choice? Why or why not?

2 - In what ways does Hornby's use of setting reflect Rob's negative attitude?

3 - How does Rob's constant references to music and film reflect his character?

4 - Is Rob the only character undergoing or requiring change? If not, who else is?

5 - Why does Rob rarely see his old friends and surround himself with people he claims not to like so much?

6 - Does Rob change his attitude, his lifestyle, or both? If just one, then why doesn't he also change the other?

Happy reading!

Last edited by Baxder; Nov 15th, 2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 02:17 PM
Come on, Fhqwhgads

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2165
Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder
I'm in 25, and think this is certainly the meatiest section so far. If Rob is going to develop at all, it'll be as a result of these chapters.

He's been dealt the blow he was looking for from Charlie.
He's suffered a miserable birthday, when I think Laura's leaving him finally hit home.
He's facing mortality at Ken's funeral, which may or may not result in the existential crisis he really needs to go through...
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 03:41 PM
Rhymes with 'frothers'

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2303
bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers
This was my favourite part of the book. The pressure is definitely on him now, but he's just as much of a selfish swine as he's ever been. Bringing up Ray during the phone call inviting him to the funeral, monologuing about how "I'm only going because it might do me some good in the long run".

I find his conversation in the car on the way to the funeral with Liz quite interesting, where she talks about her dad. Rob's asking her whose fault it is that they didn't have a good relationship with each other seems a bit accusatory to me, as though he's expecting Liz to tell him it was all on her. But she doesn't say that - she's clear that her father just didn't try very hard. Rob could have learned something from that conversation, if he had any real insight into himself at all, but he completely bodyswerves it. He doesn't seem to be able to connect the idea that people need to put effort into maintaining relationships with the idea that he needs to put effort in too.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 10:45 AM
Esquire Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2399
Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec
My first thought with Rob's realization during the funeral was that it was just a little too convenient. I have a hard time believing that he finally learned what his major issue with relationships is. It feels like a retcon and a way for him to justify finally identifying a chink in Laura's armor to squirm his way through.

But if he isn't being manipulative, it would be a real breakthrough for him. Another part of me thinks that it might be true because, after the wedding, he seems better able to concede victories to Laura. He's either truly started to grow (one small step at a time) or he's just so beaten down by the previous events in the book that he's too tired to fight anymore.

Last edited by Lashiec; Nov 20th, 2020 at 10:46 AM.