Notices

Old Nov 21st, 2020, 09:14 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Aloof Balloon Aloof Balloon
Avast, Ye Blubberin Balloons!!

I am definitely not a pirate, but ahoy friends!

Aloof Balloon here - 35% New Wave and 65% Helium. Looking to do some serious business posting on RPG Crossing and earn some of that sweet EXP stuff.

This is post #1. The AI will iterate upon more post learning. Be gentle.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 09:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34910
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

Tell us all about yourself, what's your poison? Pathfinder and D&D5 are the big dogs around here but you can find just about anything if you're patient enough. I'm a Shadowrun and Warhammer 40k man myself.

Do you have any experience with play by post? If not, or you're just a little rusty, try the new player solo game! You'll select one of six systems and you'll be assigned your own private GM Mentor to show you the ropes and run your first adventure with you. I can't recommend them to you highly enough.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 09:39 PM
Peek-a-boo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11408
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Welcome Aloof Balloon! A pirate you may not be, but we are still glad you stumbled onto our little corner of the interweb. This is a great place to get your gaming itch scratched, along with getting the chance to do some and read some awesome creative writing.

First order of business is that I would highly recommend that you check out the New Player Solo Game. It is designed to run new site members through a short module with your very own DM/GM and to help you learn the ropes of Play by Post gaming. If you are interested, there is a link in my signature down below.

Below are some very helpful threads that are not required reading, but would put you a step ahead of many other players.

There are some great threads you might want to check out on character development that will really help you in the Game Application area. This article is a very good one to read. If you do the New Player Solo Game a lot of the DMs/GMs have New Player Intro documents that have a ton of information to help new players succeed.

There are also articles you might want to check out describing how to write great posts. This one HERE and this one HERE are ones I highly recommend looking at.

I'll leave it there as far as your syllabus goes

Once again welcome!

+
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 09:52 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6764
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome to the site!

Are you new to play-by-post and/or RPGing in general?
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 09:54 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hey gang...wow! All these responses, I feel loved

I am an old hat at RPGs - cut my teeth on 3.5 and old Star Wars table top games.

Really excited to do some play-by-post.

It sounds like my next stop on the RPG Crossing Bus Tour is New Player Solo game.

Last edited by Aloof Balloon; Nov 21st, 2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 10:01 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Old Star Wars? There's a game using the the Star Wars d6 system but in a Game of Thrones setting that's started recruiting. Definitely still apply for the solo game, but maybe check that out as well if it speaks to your past experience.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 10:11 PM
Fork 2020

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16332
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Hey there, Aloof Balloon! I love that avatar of yours. This year, I decided to finally read some Batman comics. It's been a pretty long haul, but I'm near the end of the reading list I put together.

Hey, I also got started on DnD 3.5! Good times, good times. Have some of that exp you were talking about.

If you've got any questions, let us know. We're happy to help.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 10:11 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
Old Star Wars? There's a game using the the Star Wars d6 system but in a Game of Thrones setting that's started recruiting. Definitely still apply for the solo game, but maybe check that out as well if it speaks to your past experience.
You guys really do have everything

Maybe I can put down the Green Milk and dust off my old player's guide

Old Nov 21st, 2020, 10:15 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
Hey there, Aloof Balloon! I love that avatar of yours. This year, I decided to finally read some Batman comics. It's been a pretty long haul, but I'm near the end of the reading list I put together.

Hey, I also got started on DnD 3.5! Good times, good times. Have some of that exp you were talking about.

If you've got any questions, let us know. We're happy to help.
Oooh! You gotta share that reading list at some point.

I assume you hit the highlights?

The Long Halloween
The Killing Joke
Year One
Knightfall (my personal fav)
The Dark Knight Returns (because Frank Miller. Come on)

Interested to see how Robert Pattinson does with Batman, but I'm getting an itchy feeling he won't be Gotham's Guardian for many movies. Already running into "creative differences" with the team.

Edit: My first EXP!!! It's so beautiful and green!!

Last edited by Aloof Balloon; Nov 21st, 2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 10:25 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 68204
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome!

glad you joined us. Hope you have fun with us here, sounds like you bring some experience.

Happy gaming!
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 11:13 PM
Fork 2020

Tools
User Statistics
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
I actually just finished my reading list tonight, shortly after I posted that. Of course, I hit each of the ones you suggested! The KnightX trilogy is a little hard to say love or hate-- only because it's so gosh darned enormous! There's a lot of good to it, and of course some bad.

List found below. Obviously some of them aren't explicitly under a Batman title, but are Batty-centric. I've gone ahead and bolded some of my favorites. (not that I didn't like the others) I make no claims of having any good taste, though...

Gonna take a break and enjoy Sandman before I get back to more traditional DC fare. Leaning towards either Wonder Woman or Green Arrow next.

Last edited by Unko Talok; Nov 21st, 2020 at 11:16 PM.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 11:27 PM
Fork 2020

Tools
User Statistics
So-- I gave you RPXP, Aloof Balloon. And in it, I referenced a Batman meme. You know. Because of your avatar.

But I forgot about the fact that our site will sometimes censor leet speak. So when I wrote "L" "I" "E" "K", it was censored. And now my RPXP message to you looks like I'm doing unspeakable things to chocolate milk.

Gods.

I'm so sorry.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 11:43 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
Holy crap, you're not kidding. Unko Talok is now on record as saying 'I **** chocolate milk'. This is great.

This also feels appropriate right now.
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 12:48 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
But I forgot about the fact that our site will sometimes censor leet speak. So when I wrote "L" "I" "E" "K", it was censored. And now my RPXP message to you looks like I'm doing unspeakable things to chocolate milk.

Gods.

I'm so sorry.
Lmao - I wasnt going to say anything and chalked it up to some odd inside joke. That, or I thought you just were a man who really enjoys chocolate milk and who am I to judge?

Last edited by Aloof Balloon; Nov 22nd, 2020 at 12:52 AM.
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 03:32 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 771
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
Holy crap, you're not kidding. Unko Talok is now on record as saying 'I **** chocolate milk'. This is great.
I had my suspicions.

Anyway... Hiya Aloof, and welcome to RPG Crossing!

I'm new myself, and I have to say I've found RPG Crossing to be very welcoming, and pretty easy to use. The main games here are D&D 5e, Pathfinder and Shadowrun, with the occasional CoC or WoD game.

There is currently a pirate game recruiting, here. Have a look if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloof Balloon View Post
Lmao - I wasnt going to say anything and chalked it up to some odd inside joke. That, or I thought you just were a man who really enjoys chocolate milk and who am I to judge?

Have you watched Food Wars at all?

I looked around for a pic or gif to show how much the folk in Food Wars loved their food. Alas, I couldn't find a single one that wouldn't have gotten me in trouble with the site moderators.

Last edited by Menzo; Nov 22nd, 2020 at 07:52 PM.