Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > D20 Modern > A City in Ice
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Aged Cheddar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13947
sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel
Yeah, sorry, Eli's got almost nothing about himself (even his FAI's got little to no info, and is not prone to being helpful anyway). Jerry-rigging appears to be the way to go!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:43 PM
to a different tune

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38222
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Hi guys, I'm having trouble making these posts. I'm not feeling this character, on top of drastically less time to do so of late. I feel bad since if I bow out I think that'll kill the game for sammichweasel, but I don't really see a lot of choice.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4886
Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H
Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the heads up. No hard feelings. I'm afraid I have to admit I have really not been feeling this game either. If the other two of you still want to give it a go, I'll try my best, but I'm really not getting into this as much as I thought I would. I will total understand if the rest of you want to bow out.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22689
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
I think it's a brilliant idea for a game world, but setting design alone does not a good game make. You need plot, you need to draw everything together and put meaning into it, and I have not felt much of that myself. Perhaps it's been reflected in some of my posts.

D20 Modern/Future might also not be the ideal system for this. Traditional d20 doesn't hold up well (in my opinion) in space. For my own work in sci-fi games, I've turned to the streamlined d% system used by Eclipse Phase of late.

Code H, If you want to call it, I would not be angry about it. I like my character and the world, but I feel like I always have answers that you weren't thinking of when the problem is presented, and that's a little unsettling. Not necessarily your fault - sometimes a DM and I are just thinking on entirely different lines about something... usually that's where other players come in to provide other thought bases for actions so I don't go off the map too badly.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
Oh no, your answers have been great. Its the plot I'm really struggling with. I had a bunch of ideas, but after giving them some more thought, I don't think they would be fun to play, if that makes sense. And no matter how hard I try, I can't come up with anything to fill that void.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
I'm actually working on the details of a post-apocalypse space game right now myself, so I appreciate the difficulty. If I were doing this in d20 modern I'd go ...
Okay, more insane.
insane - Eclipse Phase handles at least the part where it tells me what sorts of things I should plan for (PCs whose bodies are made of distributed swarm robots for example), and leaves me to handle the rest. It's not as easy to set scenes and let plot develop organically as it is to do the same in other types of settings.

I also may not be an ideal player for a space game - I am a huge classic sci-fi fan who knows enough of the physics, astrophysics, and This one is actually my degree... well two thirds of it.computer theory to be dangerous. In high school I was in science competitions for, among other things, knowledge of astronomy, including orbital mechanics. I had a single actual Astronomy class, in which I became fed up with the teacher's general lack of in all fairness he was lied to... he was new, and
expected to be teaching the geology class and
they also made him do Astronomy to save money
expertise in the area, took his markers from him, and taught some of the lessons myself.

That was years ago, mind you, but I have an this isn't really a thinginverse relevance memory - the less I need to remember something, the longer I remember it for.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Aged Cheddar

Tools
User Statistics
sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel
Well, I won't try and force anything. I'm enjoying the concept, but something like this definitely won't work if all the players aren't feeling it. I completely understand, and hold nothing against anyone ^.^
Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
Oh, don't worry about that Aeternis, your insight matched what I wanted very well. I'm no stranger to the sciences, well, I play Kerbal Space Program a lot. Computers, I admit, I am no strong hand at, though I can program in C++.

You have all been wonderful players, top notch. But the main problem is I am just not feeling it, nothing is coming to me. Like I said, I had stuff planned, but after carefully looking at it, I didn't think it would be fun to play. So I scrapped that and started looking for something else. It is the worst case of writer's block I've ever had. Usually I can come up with something. But here, nothing, and to me it just feels like going through the motions. I have to admit, I've just been keeping you busy until something came to me. But nothing has, and all we're left with is me keeping you busy. At this point, I think continuing is just wasting your time, and I don't want to do that. So yes, I think I'm going to call it quits. Thank you for putting up with me, sorry it didn't work out.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 AM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
No problem, it's been fun. See you around the site. I understand how things are.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:14 PM
to a different tune

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38222
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Cheers, all. I think this is for the best, but it was fun while it lasted.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Aged Cheddar

Tools
User Statistics
Right then, see y'all around, I'm sure. Take it easy! I shall look back on poor Eli fondly ^.^