RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jan 1st, 2019, 03:51 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35560
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Happy New Year 2019!

Happy New Year And Best Wishes For 2019!

I'm about half way into my first day of 2019, and so far so good. Over the past week I've spent time with family and good friends, and I hope that all of you have been able to do the same. I've managed to snag a quiet sunshiny corner and a little time, and I'm thinking back on the year at RPG Crossing. Thank you to all of you for your part in creating this community, which shines positive in so many ways.

I don't have to look very far for an example of the meaningful role this community can play, as we're now several hours short of the end of our most successful December charity fundraiser yet. This drive supports the continued existence of our community by helping to pay the bills (memberships are our primary way of doing this) but also has raised over $1800 to support the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation to fund research grants that target improving the lives of those affected by mental illness. For the seventh year in a row we've managed to beat our previous contribution, and all told at the end of this year's drive the RPG Crossing community will have contributed over $6000 to research that improves the lives of those affected by mental illness. Thank you to everyone who participated over the past seven years! I hope that everyone enjoys their bonus months of CS and PDF packs, and please, please make an effort to write an online review of any PDF prize you actually use (or that you used last year, maybe, too?), to give a helping hand to the generous prize donors. A quick note about this year's prizes: I'll be trying to settle all that by the end of this week, if possible, including the addition of the bonus CS months (as usual, a post will be made in the CS forum about that.)

Our staff:

Thank you to all our present and past moderators who together set the wonderful tone of this community. Please take a moment as you are considering the year past and the year to come to think on their contributions. They make things like the New Player Solo Games, Iron DM, Outplay, Post of the Month, Explosive Runes, and Hall of Fame possible, and also work daily to help game masters to create effective game ads and keep the site friendly and spam free. You can find a full list of site staff here. If you're quick, there's still time to make a donation to buy into the roast a mod competition in support of charity.

Some highlights from the year:

At the beginning of January, Explosive Runes #23 was released. Last year we welcomed dirkoth as our new ER overload, and he's managed to release two more great issues this year: ER#24 in July and ER#25 in December. If you haven't checked out this free community project, you're missing out on great art, stories, gaming advice, and short adventures!

Also in January, Eleven Sided Die was announced as the winner of the 2017 Post of the Year with a description of a harrow card reading. The Post of the Month recognition continued every month in 2018, and the winner for 2018 should be announced soon.

In March, we ran our 'Go Green, Give Green' CS event, where full year CS purchasers could donate an additional 3 months to any non-CS user of their choice.

In April, Undeadrajib was crowned as the winner of the Easter Bunny hunt and received his winner's avatar, whether he wanted it or not.

Also in April, Outplay, our player competition, began accepting entries. The competition continued until June, when two winners were announced: jBear for the 5e bracket, and DAquilina for the Pathfinder bracket. Congratulations to the winners, the runners-up, and all the contestants for all the fun! These posts are still available for anyone who wants to go back and enjoy them (or plot for next year?)

In October, three new games were inducted into RPG Crossing's Hall of Fame. Congratulations to Legacy of Fire, Starfall, and Tyranny of Dragons, all of whom can now be found in their new home in the Hall of Fame section of the boards.

Also in October, Iron DM 2018 was announced. The battle raged long and hard (Iron DM is grueling!) but at the end of the final challenge Inem was crowned winner. Again! C'mon folks -- someone's gotta be able to beat this guy! Get your app in early though -- the two points for early submission would have been enough to turn the contest this year!

Finally, in December, our "New Player Solo Games" graduated its 977th member while miraculously keeping waiting times near zero! Thank you to zevonian and all the GMs who volunteer their time to help get new community members up to speed!

There are also some great member-run initiatives that are worth checking out if you haven't already, including the long-running short story competition and the Writer's Block initiative. I'd also like to give a shout out to everyone who takes a moment out of their day to welcome new members to our community - thank you! If you are running something like this that I haven't mentioned, please send me a pm and let me know!

It's been a great year, and I'm looking forward to an even better one ahead! Happy New Year 2019! Now go play some games!*

With special thanks to our Community Supporters and donors who provide the principal financial support for the ongoing existence of this community,

- Mark / Birched

P.S. Mea culpa -- the Starfinder sheets that I promised last year were never finalised. Other elements of life overtook me, and currently they are in a 'mostly done' state. If you would like to make sure they see the light of day, have a good understanding of Starfinder, and could help with that, please pm me to let me know.

*Unless, of course, you like lists, in which case you should take a look at the following just for fun, and then go play some games.

Users who referred the most new users who stuck around to make at least 10 posts in 2018. Thanks!
  1. Khelbiros (3 referrals)
  2. Wyrom (2 referrals)
  3. TheLawfulNeutral (2 referrals) (TIE)
  4. Krow Nest (2 referrals) (TIE)
  5. TheDragonQueen (2 referrals) (TIE)
  6. Imveros (2 referrals) (TIE)
Top ten most popular non-private threads (by new post count) in 2018.
  1. Out Of Character Conversations Talk About Anything
  2. The Muppet Balcony
  3. OOC Thread (CoEA)
  4. The Scions of Amatatsu's Campfire Chats
  5. Dice Roller and Tag Testing Thread - Five (5) Post Limit!
  6. Obsidian Champions - Chapter 1 to 6 - OOC
  7. Tug of War 86: Overturned Tables
  8. 8-A: Any Color As Long As It's Black (archived)
  9. Whispers of the Paths
  10. (Story) Build-a-Base Workshop (Archived)
Top ten most popular non-private game threads (by new post count) in 2018.
  1. Tug of War 86: Overturned Tables
  2. 12: Legends Never Die
  3. Chapter 1: Deals in Olomak
  4. Goblins in Caramvek
  5. Desert of Desolation game
  6. The First Step along the Paths
  7. Part I: The Witchwood
  8. Welcome to Dogriver
  9. The Six Word Game - speak your mind in exactly six words!
  10. Chapter 3: The Hungry Storm
Top ten most popular game systems for new games advertised in 2018.
  1. D&D 5e
  2. Pathfinder
  3. Other
  4. D&D 3.5e
  5. Shadowrun
  6. World of Darkness
  7. Mutants & Masterminds
  8. Dresden Files
  9. Starfinder (TIE)
  10. Call of Cthulhu
  11. d20 Modern (TIE)
Top ten users who gave the most reputation hits in 2018.
  1. Imveros
  2. dirkoth
  3. Kapera
  4. Dressedtojazz
  5. LittleBlueNA
  6. Unko Talok
  7. Bhelogan
  8. Disaster Master
  9. undeadrajib
  10. Hound
Top ten users who received the most reputation hits in 2018.
  1. Imveros
  2. dirkoth
  3. Kapera
  4. LittleBlueNA
  5. Dressedtojazz
  6. Begon Ugo
  7. Avner
  8. Aethera
  9. PIG
  10. chocoladevla
Top posts with the most reputation hits in 2018.
  1. Kapera
  2. KellyCat (TIE)
  3. dracina (TIE)
  4. Sassafrass
  5. Eleven Sided Die (TIE)
  6. NotAHoneyBadger (TIE)
  7. He Who Knocks
  8. Nycro Shears (TIE)
  9. Gaijin (TIE)
Top ten forums with the most posts in 2018.
  1. Games Seeking Players
  2. Archived
  3. Solo Games Archive
  4. Arbiters of a New Age M&M 3e
  5. Archived Expeditions
  6. Completed Adventures
  7. Heroes Journey To Becoming Paragons On the Path To Immortalality
  8. The City of Endless Arenas
  9. New Member Introductions
  10. Open Roleplaying
Longest running games with posts in 2018 (ranked by age) -- also, when you are this old, any post counts.
  1. The Three Evils
  2. Characters and Information
  3. Private Threads
  4. This is Ravens Bluff:
  5. RPG Crossing Sourcebook Project
  6. Current Material
  7. Nauticum, A Sailor's Fancy
  8. Elghinn Il'tess Wun l' Olath
  9. ridin's rooms
  10. Hall of Fame Games
  11. The Workshop (DM Eyes)
  12. Earthen Works
  13. The Realms of Kataclysm
  14. Nauticum Archive
  15. Unko's Brick House
  16. Private Threads
  17. Athena's Alcove
  18. A Hunting We Will go...
  19. Nauticum Information and Mechanics
  20. hvg3's House
And by request, top all time posts by ranked by RPXP hits as of Jan 1, 2019.
  1. hvg3akaek
  2. Vahnscraze
  3. ridin gaijin
  4. Spiryt
  5. Frodiddly
  6. ridin gaijin
  7. Admin Raj
  8. The Ellimist (TIE)
  9. Amy
  10. Seravok (TIE)
  11. Krowout
  12. Ceres deRehka