twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2021, 09:14 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28964
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Round 1 Results

The scores are in! Our top contenders from each group will need to tighten up their game, and get ready as the completion gets tougher every round. For everyone else, Fu's Bar is open for you to root for your favorite.

The Dice saw it one way, the judges another. Some of our favorites flew through with ease, while some fell just a bit short, and a few surprises came through in the numbers as well. In the end, those missed bonus points for Bracket 1 and 2, on the docks ended up costing some of the players in their rankings. (I know they are a little hidden lumped in with mechanical scores, but basically, everyone in the B group for those two brackets would have been 0.1 points higher in their total). Story objectives matter! Fantastic job to everyone who participated. Round 2 is just around the corner!

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 16th, 2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 03:37 PM
Fork! Knife! Spoon!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25645
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom

Let me begin this round of scores and comments by saying that my hat is off to all of you who are participating in Outplay. There is a reason I am a judge this year, I wasn't brave enough to step into the ring like you did. So while I sit on this side of the table and make snarky comments, know that I do recognize and appreciate the guts it takes to step into the ring to be judged and I applaud you for it.

I have provided "daily" comments for each individual post you made. These comments were written as I read each post and reflect my thoughts at the moment of having just read that post.

Two general comments I will make to everyone- one place that many people lost points from me was in the layout of their mechanics section. If, by glancing at your rolls, I couldn't figure out easily what you were trying to do and if you had succeeded or not, then you probably lost a few points. So, if you make it through to the next round, perhaps look for some best practices among your competitors...and copy from them like there's no tomorrow This also just makes your GMs' and Judges' lives easier.

A second place that many people lost points from me was in the "Moved the Plot/Acted true to Character" section of scoring. I broke each day down to a total of 8 possible points and thus this section was worth 2 points each day. If your character acted essentially true to who they were that earned one point. If they actively engaged in team work and/or actively worked to move the plot forward they earned another point. If, on the other hand, your character essential spent that post standing around by themselves they did not earn that point.

Bracket 1
Bracket 1

Bracket 3
Bracket 3

+

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 16th, 2021 at 05:40 PM. Reason: RPXP for Judge Appreciation encouraged
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 03:49 PM
Here to maul

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27583
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry

This was tougher than expected and I might've been harsher than needed when it came to judging actions. Each group was different in the way they operated as well as how the posts were designed. You never knew what you were going to see when opening the thread. Be sure to give props to our wonderful GMs, and well-done to everyone who participated!
Bracket 2
BRACKET 2

Bracket 3
BRACKET 3

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 16th, 2021 at 05:40 PM. Reason: RPXP for Judge Appreciation encouraged
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 07:21 PM
Playin' Dungas and Dragos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23136
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
It is wonderful being on the other side of the competition this time as I got to sit back and watch the drama unfold all around me! There was some fantastic plot drive and characterful inventions to keep everything running as quickly as possible. I have included an overall comment as well as day-by-day comments - bear in mind that I wrote those daily comments as the competition was going through, so they may be a little harsh (and sometimes turn out not actually to be true), but I left them anyway. Well done to all involved in Round 1!
Bracket 1A

Bracket 1B

Bracket 2A

Bracket 2B

Have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Old Jul 11th, 2021, 10:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20535
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Great job everyone in all brackets!! I'm not the guy to break down each of these day by day or count your sentence fragments. I'm looking for solid mechanics, interesting solutions, team play and CLEAR layout of your post so its easy follow. I'm only going to comment on what I feel is the most important aspects of your series of posts that I feet could have the biggest impart overall should your character advance.

THANK YOU ALL for the hard work and great game play.

Round 1 - Bracket 1 - Group A
bananabadger-Brinehonz 9 10 10 7 36 Your layout and makes the mechanics easy to follow your narrative. GREAT work there, it makes all the difference. Day two was the highlight. I know its hard to pace these kinds of things but you might want to purposefully leave yourself a bit more gas for the latter posts which seemed to wane a bit toward the end.
GleefulNihilism-Jiaze 810 8 7 33 Some days were just simply not as strong as other days. I'd get all excited to see what Jia was going to do... and then left a bit underwhelmed. I think she needed a bit more of a spot light and development than she got.
stepanxol-Salambiccus 6 10 9 7 32 Keeping the steam going for 5 days is hard. The quality and content varied A LOT some days compared to others. I'm not sure the focus was on spot some days and at times I think you left chances to interact with other players in the group on the table.
Thaco-Essarion 4 7 8 7 26 This was a hard group to be up against in round 1. Your post were good but just not up to the same level as the rest of the group. I like brief but if you are going to do that, the content has to be solid enough to shine when others are using all the words. Sometimes twice.

Round 1 - Bracket 1 - Group B
HellsingsRaziel-Eleath 8 8 9 7 32 This is solid work. Not all posts seemed to get the same effort though. At times I enjoyed the flashbacks more than the current line. I'm not sure that's always good. Your asides and flashbacks should make what is happening in the current scene even more interesting to watch. I'm not a big fan of "quotes" as a way to control narrative flow but you made this work.
Wishkamonv-Magna 9 7 88 32 I enjoyed watching this character. Not all the posts are equally developed - meaning you lost the chance to show her off a bit at times.
Drachenspirit-Faye 9 9 8 7 33 Love, love, love the visuals you paint in your posts. This system lets you know when you fail (which are the things we remember in many of our games). Don't be afraid to narrate those moments as well. When she fell off that crane, you could have kept the narrative going and ran with it rather than waiting for the GM to fill in the those blanks for you. I felt there where a few other lost opportunities to show her off. Bottom line is I think you might have been holding her back a bit.
HotsuSama-Chervil 8 8 8 9 33 How did that cat happen? I hope we hear about that at some point. Very nice start on flavor but important details were missing from the first post. I enjoyed the varied use of Hero Forge to bring life to the character visually but including that in your narrative is important too. One post as very much less developed than the rest - a missed opportunity there. Your ending post was very strong - l loved the way you tied it up.

Round 1 - Bracket 2 - Group A
ekidnu-Rocky 8 8 8 933 Rock was a bit of solo show but I think the situation called for it. The posts varied - sometimes they seemed very different in feel. I like the imagery of how this character worked.
Born of Monsters-Haerrsk 8 8 9 9 34 I enjoyed this quite a bit. You have a nice rhythm to your narration and gave Haerrsk plenty to do. There might have been a few missed opportunities to really work with others in the team. It seemed like you were still struggling with how the system worked, even a bit at the end.
AnotherDragoon-Kase-13 9 9 8 8 34 This group had A LOT of diversity making it a bit easier to follow the overall story. I like the cooperative play you worked in. You posts got stronger as you went and enjoyed the use of Hero Forge to pose you art.
BlackDragon0-Demmuk 77 6 5 25 Your post got stronger but then dropped at the end... tip: Let the GM recap, as a players we need to be adding to the story and developing when we can. There were missed opportunities for Demmuk in places. Perspective and voice changed dramatically at times.

Round 1 - Bracket 2 - Group B
HenryLockwood-Aegaras 9 9 99 36 I like how clear you are in the narrative and in the mechanics as to what the character is accomplishing in the post while at the same time giving wonderful diallage and descriptions. The italics use was confusing to me. At times it was the character or other's thoughts, then at other times is was something else.
DAquilina-Daryl 8 9 9 8 34 There was a lot to like about Daryl. You have a smooth canter at times and then at others is gets a little choppy. His action did move things along (they had too) but I'm not sure it took advantage of the others.
DaniLor-Glass 88 8 8 32 It took a couple of posts for me to really start to get a real feel for Glass - perhaps too long. There were times I felt you were asking too much of the mechanic (one roll but multiple outcomes needed). I enjoyed the medic-patient scene quite a lot. The end seemed a bit close to 'jumping the shark' especially given the goals and instructions from the patron.
GeneT-Tikum 78 9 8 32-2=30 I got a little lost at times in what we trying to accomplish on a few of the posts and the mechanics didn't seem to help at those times either. I like your narration and imagery! Just some minor editing issues in consistency (missed SAY for example in last post).

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 16th, 2021 at 05:41 PM. Reason: RPXP for Judge Appreciation encouraged
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 04:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 44088
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros

Here we are, the end of round one. Great work all around everyone, but I won’t waste my shot to shill the great work group two did. Lots of stuff to be proud of over there.

Moving forward with the judging, I received some feedback about being too picky with the grammar and the spelling for round zero. Since this isn’t an English MidTerm, I promise to take it easier with the word processor. Another general note I’ll make is that more doesn’t equal better. If a flashback doesn’t directly impact the current scene, I’d rather not see it. Better yet, try and craft a scene that doesn’t need a 500-word flashback. Brevity is the soul of wit after all.

Bracket 1

Bracket 3

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 16th, 2021 at 05:41 PM. Reason: RPXP for Judge Appreciation encouraged
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 05:53 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10596
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Great job everyone! Really, there were no bad posters or roleplayers and it felt really nitpicky getting in to compare or contrast. I feel bad because I would definitely enjoy all of these stories at a casual read, but as a judge I had to pull out a lot of subjective standards. Best of luck to all in your future endeavors. I can't wait to see what the winners come up with for the next round.

Bracket 2
BRACKET 2

Bracket 3
BRACKET 3

Closed Thread