Information Competition rules and rules queries for Outplay 2021 - Page 8 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2021
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 7th, 2021, 02:35 PM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10222
stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol
Yeah, that's what I though. You can sketch out both outcomes, do the first (special circ.) roll and see how that comes out, then you decide your action accordingly and roll for that one.
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 03:08 PM
What canst thou say?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29541
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
So...purely hypothetical situation.
I have this friend. And this friend has this friend who is in a bit of a pickle.
So the first friend wants to help out the second friend and—did i mention he's magical? they both are—so the first friend uses some magic to help the second friend out of the friend's pickle.
Now, if these friends had a GM, would the GM say that a successful "help" action like that automatically counts as one success for the second friend? Or does it mean that the second friend just gets another 1d6 die to roll for their action? (I'm hoping the first, because the second variation means one action has to succeed twice if it is used as an assist, but only once if it was used selfishly. It, effectually, would penalize helpfulness.)

Last edited by bananabadger; Jul 7th, 2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28964
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
I feel the urge to comment about not needing hypothetical friends if you have real ones, but...

No. A help action provides an extra die, but does not guarantee that it will be a success. If the magical friend has a 'buff' spell that could help in the situation, that will generally be better, since it can have a better impact/effect more than one ally.
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 03:38 PM
What canst thou say?

Tools
User Statistics
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
I feel the urge to comment about not needing hypothetical friends if you have real ones, but...
Well ... now you've exposed me and my sad, sad life
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 04:11 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19833
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
One last question! Do successes on the circumstance roll count toward the cumulative total?
Baby came a month early, please stand by
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 04:56 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Indirectly they do, in that they need to be overcome to get back to making progress on the main goal.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 07:23 AM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6066
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege

Old Jul 8th, 2021, 08:29 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 10:55 AM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19833
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
If I use some adventuring gear as part of a help action, does that allow multiple dice to be rolled? And if those dice result in multiple successes, are those all conveyed to the helpee, or is it still just a single extra d6?
Baby came a month early, please stand by
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 11:12 AM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol
I'm no official source, but I'm pretty sure you can roll multiple dice, but the help is capped at 1d6, which... kinda sucks? That's one reason why using buff spells, if you have any, is a much better option.

Also, you may just want to leave your friend Alone in the Dark and pursue your sordid interests the mission objective

Last edited by stepanxol; Jul 8th, 2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 11:12 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Using adventuring gear to perform a help action gives you 2d6. If you can use a signature move, that is 3d6. The help succeeding though only grants 1d6 in either scenario. It is not nearly as strong of a move as a buff spell could potentially be. But, it does give a mechanic to help another player if you have no other way to do so.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 11:15 AM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
Heh, exactly like I said, but with no pictures
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6066
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Personally, I think the Help action is good as is. It shouldn't be able to compete with a buff spell.

In its current state, you only will help another character if they need help, not just to mechanically stack advantages. I wouldn't want the Help action to be stronger than it is now.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jul 8th, 2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 07:20 PM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
The point is, if you have (any) buff spell you can basically rework it and describe your action as helping a companion. You get 3 rolls (since spells always do) and any success translates into an extra roll for your friend.

With the help action, you have to work to stuff extra dice in, and in any case the buddy gets +1d at most. It's not even a "competition", the spell wins from any point of view.

All that, of course, is considering the strictly mechanical aspects. If you're just roleplaying, well, everything works.

Last edited by stepanxol; Jul 8th, 2021 at 07:21 PM.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 07:46 PM
What canst thou say?

Tools
User Statistics
Bheglon: I don't want to lead an ally astray. In my last post, am I correct in suggesting that my character's successful debuff on an enemy could be used by my ally in their next post as an extra 1d6 (provided there is a logical connection between our two actions)?