RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 15th, 2021, 07:23 PM
Sane in an insane world

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1591
SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 07:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3362
JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAquilina View Post
I think it boils down to the fact that you can make anything a cantrip, but you can never use it to get extra dice, so you could use a fire cantrio to light a cigar for flavour, but not set fire to the barn that the bad guy is hiding in. It's all about context.
Yeah, that's how I'm interpreting it. Can you use the illusions to trick people, bypass guards, and frighten enemies? Or are they obvious fakes or just special fx light shows? Also... I would think that you could use a spell as a cantrip... but not a cantrip like a spell. So if you want to be able to do both, then choose it as a spell.

I've hit a few conceptual walls with how light the system is, but I've really enjoyed climbing them. I'm looking forward to finishing this initial write-up and maybe getting a little feedback. I'm also interested in seeing how many spellcasters show up. Between people rolling and choosing, seems like an overwhelming majority will have at least one spell in their repertoire.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 07:43 PM
Sane in an insane world

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1591
SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC

Last edited by SelfAwareNPC; Jun 15th, 2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 08:32 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28964
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
About 1 week left to go! I wonder how many more applications we will get rushing at the deadline. So far though, the turnout has been pretty impressive! We have more applications than we got in 2020 or 2019.
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 09:57 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Also, if anyone else would like their mechanics/stat block reviewed before the deadline, please shoot me a PM.
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 07:27 PM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10222
stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol
Thanks Bhelogan! I just watched the video on YouTube and I have to say, this system is pretty clever. I can't wait to try it out. (*)

I don't know if I'll manage to set aside enough time to give it justice, but I see that so many friends (and great players) have already joined -- the lure is too strong!

(*) Although to be fair it seems to punish hybrid characters, since you're going to roll for your strengths and choose the signature moves accordingly: hence you'll want to be rolling always low or always high. A roguish acrobat-wizard with CN 3 who casts spells and tumbles around will sort of suck at both, but hey -- we'll see how it works on the field!
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 07:47 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6066
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
By my estimation, the only optimized way to play this system would be playing a CN 2 character. They can opt for always Rolling High with more ways to use three Outroll dice than any other CN because they have the most amount of Known Spells and any CN has the same amount of signature moves. This makes full casters mathematically strictly better, but we will see what kind of challenges will come around to possibly force the characters to Roll Low/High out of their comfort zone. Only if there are challenges that a character is unprepared to tackle with their kit will CN 3 or 4 characters truly shine. I'm very thrilled to find out what the competition finally will be like. During character creation I had thought about switching from my rolled CN to CN 2, but by then I had already a character concept for the rolled CN and preferred it over character optimization. Flavour over numbers is usually my choice anyways.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jun 21st, 2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 07:54 PM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol
Of course pure casters may be "forced" to make physical rolls, ie to "roll under", but if you prepare your spells carefully (with a small-range teleport, for example?) you could be able to avoid even that.

That said, I'm ready to go with the d4+1 roll, or even to willingly choose a "wrong" CN for roleplaying purposes. I was really envisioning a pure hybrid that would mix athletic moves with magical/psychological actions every time. So, I'll guess we'll see!
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 09:16 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Yea, there are certainly some advantages to being a 'pure caster' with a CN2. But, I can verify that there will be cases where you will have to roll in both directions to overcome some challenges. It may well be worth it to have a team that can pull together to really be able to handle any situation.

There are a lot of things we did for the sake of simplicity that may keep the system from being 'perfectly' balanced. For example, Lasers and Feelings used a 'Role' character option, while Swords and Sorcery used a 'Background'. We tried toying with these, uses classes, but found that you would need several tables to make it clear what was a 'class skill' and what wasn't. Thus, the Adventure Gear system was used as a replacement for that, to give characters a flavor and focus, while determining what they could do well. We ditched the 'Ready' system, as that was fairly arbitrary to apply, and would often require some back and forth between the players and GMs, and replaced it with Signature Moves, and Kown Spells, so that it was clear to the player when they could roll the extra 1d6 for it.

We also ditched the notion of Hit Points, and Spell Points/Spell Slots/Mana, moving to more of a narrative feel for when your character is down with Wounds and such.

I don't know that this system would be good for a long-term game. But, for something of a short setting, where most contestants will make 5 - 15 posts, and the finalists will make 20 or so, over the course of the event, and we don't have to worry about character advancement, I think it will fill in well.

Will see though. We didn't know if people were going to throw a fit, and we would only get 2 applicants initially, or if it would be super popular, and we might get 20 people willing to try it. Seems we have exceeded those expectations. The feedback on the event (That thread will be put up when Round 1 goes live) will be interesting.
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 06:11 AM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah, personally I like the system very much. Indeed, I don't know about a campaign, but I wouldn't mind trying it in a longer scenario -- it really has also, with the creative writers that lurk here, it's bound to allow the most crazy scenes to happen...a lot of charm.

The only worry, so to speak, is the fact that apparently we're going to be judged not only on role-playing and ideas, but also on actual performance, ie the number of successes rolled. This would bug somebody that enters the competition to actually win it, as opposed to, you know, have some fun and concoct wild shenanigans for the entertainment of the judges masses. Which is my case anyway, so I'm perfectly happy with a suboptimal, hybrid character.

Now I'm gonna roll, are you willing to bet that I'll get a CN of 2?

Last edited by stepanxol; Jun 22nd, 2021 at 06:31 AM.
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 09:23 AM
What canst thou say?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29541
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Go with the random rolls, step!

I think having the dice determine a good chunk of the contest makes it appealing. Less pressure on judges and players to determine the “best” by some arbitrary standard and more of a game with chance, skill and creativity all major factors.

I remember last year some of my favorite characters were absolutely destroyed by lousy rolls. Those rolls wiped them out of the competition by and large, but it gave them a chance for beautiful crash and burn posts.
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 01:06 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
As a side note, please make sure in your applications, that your Stat Block section is in its own fieldset, and in a format that you will be able to copy and paste at the end of your in-game posts.
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 01:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1170
Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
Loving the characters so far! I have had several of you request reviewers, or have been having back and forth conversations about mechanics. I think one theme that comes up a lot, which I will add in my own words to the Q and A:

Adventuring Gear - This is just something your character knows how to use well. You do NOT need to define mechanics for it, or list the special cases where it can be used. Anything you do during the adventure that uses the piece of gear benefits from the 1d6. For example - if my character has a Well Trained Duck as a piece of adventuring gear, I can just describe what it is, and maybe list a few tricks it has been taught. In play, if I choose to use the duck to cause a distraction, to impress a merchant to give up information, or trick a guard into thinking he is going crazy, these are all things using the duck that would get the extra roll. I don't have to list those use cases in the mechanics section though.

Signature Moves - This is the special thing your character does exceptionally well, above and beyond, using a piece of their gear. Using the example of a Well Trained Duck, maybe my signature move is called 'The Waddling D', which is a special attack my character makes by waddling in unison with my duck. When he makes this attack, he gets 1d6 for using the duck, and 1d6 for doing the Signature Move.

A couple of notes - No action will benefit from more than 1 piece of adventuring gear at a time. So, I couldn't benefit from both my Well Trained Duck, and a Signature Baseball Bat (if that was another piece of gear) in the same action, if say I was using the bat to boost my duck up high enough to spy over a wall. Narratively I use both, but the roll only benefits from one.

Likewise, a Signature Move, if it makes sense, could potentially be done with either piece of gear. If you had two different types of weapons, and the signature move was a special over-head attack, you could potentially do it using either one. But, Signature Moves are done using at least 1 piece of adventuring gear on the roll.
You can't trick me into duck-themed dungeoneering. I know the truth.

Old Jun 24th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
The wise munchkin is always prepared
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 06:17 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Just under 24 hours to the dealine. Any last-minute edits, or people looking to join in need to do so soon.