DnD5e Out of the Abyss - an Underdark Adventure - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 7th, 2021, 08:43 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1324
Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer
Out of the Abyss - an Underdark Adventure

Game NameOut of the Abyss - an Underdark Adventure
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeEscape from the Underdark
FlavourDark and Gritty, Survival Horror
Plot Summary
Reopening for replacements

You see dark shadows moving all around you. You have wandered these tunnels now for days stretching on weeks. Cavern upon cavern, tunnel on tunnel, this labyrinthine series of passages seemingly never ending. How long you have walked here you cannot say -- save that you have walked here for longer than you can remember. The surface world seems like nothing but a distant memory now, one so faint and so far away that you struggle somewhat to remember that it is anything but a dream.

It is hard to remember anything but this hellish netherworld of large, open caverns painfully juxtaposed against narrow claustrophobic passages.

The shadows, as if privy to your passing, and as if they were something more real, something more tangible than ethereal wisps of darkness cast against dim light, reach out to touch you as you pass, almost as if they are coming for you with grasping, outstretched fingers. Tendrils of dark that desire the touch and feel of warm, living flesh against their ethereal nothingness.

Then the cold, dusty passage beneath you made of rock and mud splits. And as they open, oily tentacles rise up from the floor, chasing the shadows away as they brush against you with their cold and clammy skin.

A buzzing sound begins, low at first, but then rising in both pitch and intensity. As the sound increases, so does a feral howling, a chill sound that rips through you, almost as if it was tearing away at your soul.

You become aware of a stabbing pain in your side. A stabbing pain that gradually increases until the pain is almost unbearable. Your side splits open, and as it does out comes a crawling mass of.....

When the drow came, you were not ready. They seized you, and they were not gentle in doing so. Cruelly ripped from the world that you once knew, you were spirited away to the dark place deep underneath the earth. Here, in this lightless hellish underworld of half-truths and lies you must commit the ultimate deception. You must find a way out from the dark world of the drow where there is none. You must survive and find a way to continue living in the nightmarish depths of the Underdark, a place where very few surface folk would dare to travel to, and even fewer return from with their insanity intact. And every waking second as you do so, every single step forward you take is with the knowledge that the dark drow are hunting you mercilessly, and they will not give up their prisoners easily.....

Yet this is the least of your problems. Down here, in the darkness, there are worse things that lie in wait. Madness lies in this place, reaching, grasping tendrils of insanity that will devour you whole.

Can you survive when you can depend on nothing and no-one save each other, when there is an entire subterranean realm looking to destroy you? When your own food and water supplies dwindle with each passing day and when death by starvation is a very real possibility what chance is there that you can make it out of this?

Welcome to the Underdark, a realm that will embrace you but one that, once you are inside, it will never ever let you go.

About the Game and the DMHello. It has been a long while since I have been on the site and longer still since I have put a game up for advertisement, so please be gentle with me.

There are some things I should say in the interests of full disclosure. Its been aorund three years since I was last fully active, and in that time I've had a lot of issues, both physical and mental that have impacted my time on here. That said, I just want to play D&D again, and I feel up to the challenge of running a game, and I think in all honesty, running a game at my own pace is probably the best way to dip my toes back in. This game will also be LGBTQ+ friendly.

So here we are. Most probably know what they are signing up to when they apply for an Out of the Abyss game, but for those not familiar with the module, this adventure is pretty damn grim, and it will certainly be very dark in tone. This is as much a fight against the dark, twisted and hellish underworld landscapes that you find yourselves in as it is a fight against the horrific and malformed creatures that you will find within it.

Prisoners of the drow, your goal is twofold — escape first, then survive in this hostile environment where most are out to murder you. And if you do survive....well, then the true adventure begins.

I wanted to be clear up front, this game is intended to be brutal. There will be casualties, and characters WILL die. Hopefully this won’t be a deterrent to you.

So, how does one run an adventure like Out of the Abyss in PbP format, in a way that is feasible to run and one that actually stands a chance of finishing? I will be adapting the source material, and I will be removing large portions of it for the sake of expediency, generally things that I consider to be filler material. Trying to run the game as presented is near enough impossible in a slower format like PbP, so I need to take that in mind when presenting and running this game. Ultimately this is a group experience and we should all work as a group to make it succeed.

I will only be taking a maximum of four characters into the game, maybe even less depending on the circumstances. Now, I am very conscious that without a full party of six it might make certain combat encounters more difficult, but there are two things to consider here. Firstly, as DM I can always adjust the combat difficulty if needed, and secondly, given the nature of the game and module in question the focus should be on avoiding combat where we can.

It is my belief that a smaller, more intimate game has more chance of succeeding and more chance of flowing smoothly and, on a more personal level, I'd be more comfortable with something a bit more low-key right now while I am finding my feet.

ApplicationsNothing too elaborate here, I'd like a standard application in the following format:

Name:
Race:
Class:
Alignment: Non-evil please
Background:
Personality Traits: Two please
Ideal:
Bond:
Flaw:

Provide me with a bit more of an in-depth write-up on the following:

Appearance (include picture):
Personality:
Backstory:
RP Sample:

Starting level will be level 1, and in terms of acceptable sources then I'll accept any official published WotC source. No Unearthed Arcana, sorry. There is no closing date yet, I will advise this a bit closer to the time.

Last edited by Chaucer; Oct 13th, 2021 at 06:04 AM.
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 11:29 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1910
Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa
I know a lot of Faerun lore, but not too much about 5E. (I'm a 3.5 player, mostly!) I'd like to ask: does this adventure take place while the heroes are prisoners, or does it take place after they've made an initial escape?

The reason I ask is I keep thinking about the fact that Drow have a LOT of slaves, including goblinoids and other monstrous beings. I'm thinking about the possibility of not playing a member of the original adventuring party, but a monster that's been a slave of the Drow for a long time (or even all their life). Say, a goblin?

Let me know what you think! And again, I don't know much about 5E, but I'm used to playing games where death is always around the corner, so I do accept that possibility!

Last edited by Inlaa; Aug 7th, 2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 11:48 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlaa View Post
I know a lot of Faerun lore, but not too much about 5E. (I'm a 3.5 player, mostly!) I'd like to ask: does this adventure take place while the heroes are prisoners, or does it take place after they've made an initial escape?

The reason I ask is I keep thinking about the fact that Drow have a LOT of slaves, including goblinoids and other monstrous beings. I'm thinking about the possibility of not playing a member of the original adventuring party, but a monster that's been a slave of the Drow for a long time (or even all their life). Say, a goblin?

Let me know what you think! And again, I don't know much about 5E, but I'm used to playing games where death is always around the corner, so I do accept that possibility!
Hello, that is fine re: 5e knowledge, and yes it does take place while the heroes are prisoners. The first part of the game is all about how you are going to break free from captivity so the concept fits absolutely fine. It is not required that characters know each other prior to the game start (and indeed unlikely that the characters do know each other before they are taken prisoner unless they were part of the same group).
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 12:14 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1910
Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa Inlaa
I'll potentially throw my hat into the ring then despite my relative inexperience with 5E. I like the idea of playing an enslaved goblin that notices adventurers making a break for it and throws her lot in with them, though I'm not sure exactly what class I want to go for. Rogue, perhaps? Ranger?

I'd be tempted to go for something with a bit of magic (Bard or Sorcerer, perhaps?), but I forget what implications that would have for someone caught in the clutches of the Drow for so long.

I'll do some thinking!

I've given it some thought, and I think I'll withdraw my interest. It's a cool campaign concept, but I don't feel comfortable enough with 5E. Good luck, and happy gaming!

Last edited by Inlaa; Aug 7th, 2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 01:30 PM
Master of the Swamp

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11438
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Feedback welcome

COMPLETE

Character DetailsName: Caelas Tyn'viir
Race: Drow
Alignment: TN
Class: GloomstalkerRanger
Deity: Faithless

left-aligned image

Appearance:
Standing 5' 11" with a slim but athletic build, Caelas has a silent and threatening feel about him, and an unsettling propensity for few words. Amber, almond-shaped eyes are ever-watching from under a weathered hood-- a hood that covers the long, obvious Drow ears. Most of his dark grey skin is covered by scars beneath earth-toned clothing that are utilitarian and patched with care. Black, disheveled hair has been pulled back and away from his face.

Personality:
Caelas is purposeful and driven. Like an arrow shot from his bow, there is never a word wasted or spoken without forethought-- particularly given the company he is usually surrounded by. He is keen on details, tending to be on the side to watch and listen. Calm and centered, many things don't appear to bother the Drow, having practiced indifference in the face of cruelty unending. When Caelas's temper does flair, those who know him best would come to an understanding that Caelas is vindictive and without mercy. Though, he's careful that those fits of anger are not directed toward his Mistress or Priestess of any standing, of course.

Backstory:
For as long as Caelas could remember, he knew only the horrors of the Underdark. Continually reminded of his station within the ranks of a brutal system. A system he was at risk of losing at any whim that struck his Mistress--or anyone else, realistically. Betrayals and double-crossings came easily as breathing for most of the Drow, and it paid to tread lightly and strike faster than the other. Anyone above him could wipe him out without a thought...Those below him could simply scheme and become the next favorite. Lucky for Caelas, his skills kept him relatively safe and valuable enough to not be carelessly tossed aside, nor trifled with from those who were lesser on the totem pole. Caelas could move through the dark with such ease it was if he were a shadow himself, with no other able to match his ability. His knowledge of the maze-like caverns and twisting caves is no small feat, either. The crafty Drow has memorized them like the notch on his arrows. For this reason, he is the perfect hunting machine for the slaves who attempt at escape. Countless times, Caelas had retrieved lost property. However, his knowledge and abilities were perfect for something else...His own attempt at escape. To make it out of the Underdark and to the surface. He would just have to wait for the perfect time. The perfect moment to take a chance and flee. Perhaps, having to throw his lot in with a few others just as determined as he was to make it out alive.

If it came down to it, being able to trade his services as a guide of the to the monstrosity infested caverns far below, perhaps that would give him enough time to formulate enough of a plan moving forward. Either way, his Mistress might have become suspicious of him, having taken a few of her magic scrolls, books, and the like, to teach himself magic. If she wasn't suspicious now, she will be soon. His time might be short.

Basic Details
Background: Outlander: Bounty Hunter Origin

Personality Traits:
  • Silence is Golden: Even a fool, when holding his peace, is counted wise; And he that shut his lips is esteemed as a man of understanding.
  • Patience is Bitter, But the Reward is Sweet: To wait with keen insight are strategic tools to win allies and defeat enemies.
Flaws:
  • I remember every insult I've received and nurse a silent resentment toward anyone who's ever wronged me.
  • I am driven, but sometimes I'm blinded by my own pursuits.
Ideal:
  • Vengeance: Those who ruined my life will pay dearly. Anyone who gets in my way will share the same fate.
Bond:
  • A Stolen Life. My destiny was taken from me, the life I rightfully should have lived. I'll have my revenge upon those responsible.
RP Sample For Fun: My assassin's near-death experience, incorporating a fellow player's Bless spell for the save

I took the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Odyssey; Aug 8th, 2021 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Fixed Secret Tags
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 01:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1369
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Cool, awhile back I was in this game, alas, it only lasted about a week, maybe a week and a half, then it died. Hopefully, this game will last a lot longer
Name: Liriel DeVir
Race:Drow
Class: Cleric (Life Domain)
Alignment: CG
Deity: Eilistraee
Background: Acolyte
Personality Traits: 1.) Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude. 2.) I am tolerant of other faiths and respect the worship of other gods.
Ideal: I always try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost.
Bond: Everything I do is for the common people.
Flaw: My piety sometimes leads me to blindly trust those that profess faith in my god.
Appearance (include picture): 5'3 tall, slender body, mauve eyes, long white hair in ponytail, Obsidian skin.
right-aligned image

Personality: Friendly to others, but can be seen as a ditz at times, but she has strong convictions, has proven she can be counted on.
Backstory: Growing up, there been turmoil about her people. Most had been following Loth, but not all, as some are breaking away, some had starting to follow Vhaeraun, though most were the males. Now, others are starting to follow Eilistraee, and her family was broken up because of it. Her father and his sister had taken Liriel's brother and her to join the others to follow Eilistraee, leaving her mother and sister who stayed to follow Loth and another brother had left with their uncle to follow Vhaeraun. Trying times indeed. She was the youngest of her siblings and it was hard for her. As she gotten older, she grew accustomed to her new life and became a devoted follower.

She and two of her companions had come across a few surface elves and a half-elf and made peace with them. It wasn't easy, for the surface elves and drow were longtime enemies. A Heavy downpour came, and they spot a cave ran to it for cover. They decided to spend the night there and, in the morning, they will all go on their way. They never saw daylight again. During the night, a raid by the drow, followers of Loth came upon them. There was chaos all around and one drow was about to strike her down, but he paused, looking at her amulet, he yelled traitor, then she felt a hard blow at the back of her head. When she woke up, she found herself a slave. She doesn't know long she been a prisoner and lost track of time. What she remembers, is the abuse, torture and rape from her captors and being called a dirty traitor. Now she heard others were making plans of escape and at first, she was not included, but after seeing what Liriel had been going through, they began to include her as well.

RP Sample: When they came up on the surface, it was evening, the sun was down. The group decided to travel some. Liriel and one other had never come to the surface before, so everything was new to them. When the moon was high, it was a beautiful sight and it shined across the landscape. She found it more beautiful than her underground home. The experienced ones hunted for food. Some animals she had never seen before. Two days later, they came across a couple of goblin scouts and when they saw the draw, they ran. A half-elf saw them from the distance one early morning, they waved but he soon took off with fright. Liriel realizes that this was going to be tougher than she thought. The others have warned her that it wasn’t going to be easy. There has been only a town and a village that had accepted them.

It was three days later when the half-elf returned, and this time, he had company. A group of elves. So different in skin tone and they way they moved. It was hard to believe they were the same people. One elf came forth.
“Why are you here? You do not act like a raiding party.”

Liriel’s group leader Shawna spoke. “That’s because we’re not. We are followers of Eilistraee and we come in peace.”

The elves then spoke to each other quietly, then their speaker turned back to them and spoke. “We have heard about a group of drow that were peaceful. Come, we shall talk in peace…cousin.” It felt strange for him to say that, but with the stories of Drizzt, well, with the old saying, when there’s one, there be others.

It was near dusk, so they had dinner and talked. Liriel’s group already knew it won’t be easy, as the surface elves had said, but they’ll have two of their members to accompany them to help. A storm was rolling in and they quickly ate and looked for cover. It began to rain when one of them spotted a cave, so they quickly ran to it and dried off. They talked more and exchanged cultures. Each side was amazed. The drow was amazed at how peaceful the surface elves were and no enemies within, while the surface elves were amazed that the drow had almost no love and each house was an enemy, even within a house, one could not always trust one another. It was hard for them to fathom that.
When total darkness came, they went to sleep. The attack happened that night, the drow of Loth raided came to a secret entrance of the cave. They attacked, the battle didn’t last long as the raiding drow had the surprise. When Liriel woke up suddenly, she quickly got up only to face a drow who was about to strike her down with his blade, but he stopped, thinking she was one of them until he saw her amulet, then he yelled traitor at her with rage. She backed up until she felt a hard blow at the back of her head, then all went dark.

Last edited by WildJessi; Aug 8th, 2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6428
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
right-aligned image

Name: Derek Draven
Race: Variant human
Class: wizard
Subclass: necromancer
Background: haunted one
Alignment: lawful Good
Personality: I wish to make the world a better place
i am loyal to my friends
Flaw: I get hyper focused on my goals, blinding me to other things
Ideal: I will punish the guilty
Bond: I treat my friends like family, and I will let no insult or injury fall upon them

Description: Derek is a small, young man standing 5’2 and weighing 120 pounds. He wears a black robe gifted to him by his master. He has a raven familiar that often rests on his left shoulder. His eyes are a deep green. His hair is a short, straight, and as black as his raven’s feathers.his hands are covered in tattoos written in draconic detailing the few spells he knows so he won't forget them

Personality: Derek has a strong sense of justice due to the wrongs that were done to him and his people. He believes that wicked people must be punished, and the innocent must be protected. He is quick to latch on to those who offer him friendship and is fiercely loyal. Due to his childhood trauma, few things really scare him. He understands people’s misgivings regarding undead, but he holds himself to strict rules regarding them. He will never raise an innocent person as an undead without their permission. Instead, he wishes to raise the wicked as a punishment so that they can atone for their crimes in life by serving good in death. Despite his tragic childhood, Derek is friendly and optimistic, and has made it his life's mission to change the stigma surrounding necromancer's through his good deeds.

Backstory

RP Sample

Last edited by Togot; Aug 7th, 2021 at 06:56 PM.
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 07:47 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1128
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Roach:
right-aligned image

Name: Roach
Race: Variant Human
Class: Barbarian
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Criminal
Personality Traits:
-I eat like a pig and have bad manners
-I don't like to bathe.

Ideal:
-Redemption. There’s a spark of good in everyone. (Good)

Bond:
-I may look scary or bad on the outside but it's what's on the inside that matters.

Flaw:
-I stutter something terrible when I lie, I hate doing it.

Appearance: Roach hunches at just over five feet tall, his right shoulder hangs lower due to the large hump on his back, giving him an awkward swing when he walks. His right arm is heavily muscled and the knuckles are often scraped and filthy while his left arm is skinny, bent and twisted, which he keeps tucked close to his chest. His legs seem small in proportion to the rest of his body and his feet twist inward when he stands, forcing him to walk using his right hand to brace his forward-leaning body so he doesn't stumble over his own feet. His hair is a mess of greasy strands that top his misshapen face, one large left eye that he can see pretty well out of rides in a normal place on his face but his small right eye is forced down by a bulged brow, making it nearly useless. His nose is bulbous and twisted oddly to one side over a pair of lips that are always dry and cracked which causes him to lick his lips often. His clothes are little more than rags, a shirt cut from a burlap sack hangs on his hunched form, tied at the waist with a frayed, filthy rope that holds up the only real article of clothing, a pair of pants that would fit a large child perhaps that are ripped and heavily worn in places, often covered in mud. His 'shoes' are rags tied and wrapped around his feet to give the arches some protection while his toes and heels are exposed.

Personality: Despite his terrifying look, Roach is the happy sort, his grin enough to make a troll cringe. He has/had one fear and that was of his owner's wrath, so, in a word, he might be considered fearless or too stupid to be afraid of things that people are normally afraid of. He isn't afraid of anyone, even waving a weapon his way. Unless given cue from his master, he isnt inclined to hurt a fly, let alone a living, thinking being. He doesn't enjoy the work he has done for his master. He loves nature, especially butterflies, their legs and wings are so tickly.

Backstory: Roach is the unfortunate accident of a parlor whore finding 'True Love'. The little miss found herself with child and the suspected father promised to take her into his abode and take care of her and take care of her, he did. For nine months and nine weeks, she was the happiest woman alive, showered with love and her every desire, lounging daily in warm spas, silk sheet-covered canopy beds, sampling fine wines and pastries fed to her by servants that waited on her hand and foot. But it wasn't to last, As the time came for 'Roach' to be born. The best midwife in the city attended to the mother's needs, day in and day out but when the little bundle of joy came out, the midwife, thinking she had seen it all, lost her lunch onto the floor. The following shriek, the result of mother's first glimpse of her child, brought the father into the chamber to see what had happened. At the sight of the monstrous creature the midwife held out to him, he snatched up the child by the ankle and with it dangling, he crossed the room, full of fury to grab the mother, cursing every god and demi-god as he dragged both mother and child out into the snowy darkness of the night. To the well, he sent the wife, headfirst with a splash, despite her protests and as he was about to toss the child to the hounds nearby, the cries of the babe had by now called the attention of a passerby. The passerby, sensing something wrong, called out to the dark figure waving the child about the kennel, asking a moment. The poor infant was in some luck because the passerby took pity on the deformed babe and agreed to take him if only the father speak of it or him ever again.

Now, in the hands of Gorram Radisklov, Roach was better off...but many things were better than being dead. Gorram was a hard man with hard ways, he hadn't taken in the deformed Roach out of the goodness of his heart, after all. He saw the infant as an asset, deformed simpletons, trained young enough could make the best kind of thugs. As he raised the boy, he didn't teach him normal things you would teach a child, reading or writing, No, he taught the boy how to stab, club, cut, break and follow directions from Gorram alone. As Roach grew into a teenager, his new way of life, given to him by Gorram went against the boy's soft heart. Any bad things had to be explained away in words that the man-child would understand before tempers flared. At first, Roach was the muscle babysat by a couple other thugs owned by Gorram on a few shop runs, extortion. To say the least, every shop owner payed the protection money, in fear of the twisted thug revisiting his wrath upon their wares.

Roach's life went on like this for some time, occasionally escalating to pure wetworks runs, pushing out rival gangs that opposed Gorram. After what would have been his twenty second winter, Roach was so trusted by his master that he was given a nice shiny knife, a gift for a job well done. He was able to stumble over enough words to thank Gorram before being sent off on his first solo job. The whole way to the shop, Roach played with the new knife, so pretty with it's shiny blade. As he was wandering through the narrow alley that would take him to the locale, a man's voice called out to him from off to one side, in the darkness. Roach drew closer to the voice, curiously, calling out for the figure to show itself and the figure came from the shadows.

That night, blood was spilled and Roach knew he had done wrong, panicking and so far from his Master, who could sort everything out, he did the next best thing that he could think of...Escape. He found his way into the sewers and for a long time, he slopped through the ankle deep water until he was good and truly lost. He eventually found himself in the old smuggler's tunnels and stumbled onto some bad business with some dark-skinned assailants. Before he could object or explain the situation, they had perfectly perforated him with tiny darts and maybe some kind of spell that made him so sleepy.

He awoke in the dark, surrounded by cold metal bars.

RP Sample: He hadn't been kept in a cage for so long before, even his master had let him out more often these his dark-skinned captors. They fed him once a day, which he was grateful for but even when a rat skittered by and he snatched it up, he felt like he had to hide it otherwise they might stop feeding him. His master had said, "If you're just going to feed yourself then you don't need me." and he wouldn't want to starve again like that one time.

Although, he heard the soft shoes padding across the floor, he knew it wasn't feeding time as it was accompanied by other sounds and no food. The sound of metal cages and human-like groans from nearby meant something else. He had company and maybe they could help him. Roach was fortunate that it was so dark in his new home, it made making friends so much easier.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Aug 9th, 2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 07:52 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4934
Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain
Rothé
right-aligned image
Name: Rothé [Ro-thay]
Race: Firbolg
Class: Barbarian
Alignment: CN
Background: Custom -
  • Feature: Adept Linguist
  • Skill 1: Insight
  • Skill 2: Deception
  • Bonus Language 1: Gnommish
  • Bonus Language 2: Drow Sign
Cunning Slave

Trait
Blóðjötuns: Rothé has adapted to rely on his giant ancestry and physicality to survive.
Trait
Mental Partition: Rothé has developed a wall between the broken and unbroken parts of his mind.
Ideal
Hefnhuldufólks: Rothé has learned much from the Drow compounding his vindictive fey psychology.
Bond
Rothe's Ordning: An interactive delusion comprised of different hallucinations of his former life and culture.
Flaw
Irradiated by Faerzress: Faerzress in the Underdark has adversely affected Rothé in various ways.

Appearance: Leaner than healthy firbolgs Rothé has grown accustomed to his bondage and despite being enslaved has grown physically stronger under the harsh conditions. Long limbs have hardened and grown used to hard labour, his stone grey flesh resists scarification under all but the most brutal of treatment by his masters. Repeated and long term exposure to fearzress has leeched the colour from his once rich black beard and hair, making him seem decades older than he actually is. Mostly expressionless and subservient in posture there remains a faint light behind his eyes, a watchfulness that takes in everything that happens around him.

Personality: In the eyes of his masters Rothé is well named and is his name sake in all but physical form: dull, mindless and exceptionally suited for use as a beast of burden. For the most part they are right, Rothé's mind is well and truly broken and knows little more than the basest of survival and obedience to the Drow. In counterpart to this psyche of Rothé however is another which preserves the vestiges of his unbroken sense of self as a core counselled by The Ordning, a collection of interactive hallucinations of people from his previous life and archetypal elements of Firbolg culture. Though this Other Rothé answers to the same name, it is far from broken. Vindictive and cunning, this remnant of the firbolg Rothé once was is singleminded when it comes to lashing out at Drow however it can. Survival for Other Rothé, the surviving conscious part of his mind, comprises of: knowing when to sacrifice the flesh and the self in servitude, certainty that his bondage will not end and opportunism over long term planning.

Backstory:
In a lifetime that has long since been beaten out of him, the firbolg Rothé once served his tribe as a sorcerer. Residing in a rare region where Feywild and access to the Underdark intersected, Rothé's tribe was dispassionate towards the occasional ingress of Drow, but were not ignorant to the inherent dangers therein and maintained a larger cohort of arcanists and more organised company of warriors than usual. Conflicts between the two secretive groups were rare but not unheard of and it was in one of these violent encounters that Rothé and several other members of the tribe were captured. A more than competent sorcerer prior to capture, Rothé was rendered helpless by the perfidious enchanters of the Drow and restrained in anti-magic chains. For weeks after being stolen away to the Underdark proper he was exchanged and bartered and traded for, as much a curiosity as a new slave.

The change from sorcerer to slave was brutality previously unknown to the firbolg. Accustomed to the rational hardships of the natural world where life was taken out of animal need and the rain was temporary, the treatment of the Drow alone would have ruined him were it not for his giant heritage. Their cruelty however, was nothing compared to the influence of the magical radiation of the Underdark: faerzress. One name among many he learned during his slow study of the Drow language, made easier by his familiarity with surface Elven, the word burned into him as the magical radiation ate away at his mind. Faerzress and innate connection to the Feywild met within Rothé and left the sorcerer ravaged. His connection to his magics eroded away with every day spent soaking in the ambient faerzress and his mind partitioned itself in an effort to protect itself from both Drow and faerzress.

Consciousness gave way to subconsciousness. The awareness of his mind sheltered behind the mute slave that came to be called Rothé after the Drow's aurochs-like beast. He sacrificed the feeling, physical part of himself to the ministrations of the Drow and turned deeper into what remained of his psyche. Memory, hallucination, delusion, reality, sleeping and waking warped and mixed with one another in his desperate attempts to find the source of his magics again under the irradiating effects of the faerzress. Detached from the subconsciousness controlling his body Rothé began to call himself Rothé, what once would have been the most unnatural act for a firbolg became a way to survive. Behind the dull visage of the slave, a cunning vindictiveness watched and learned. The 'Drow Sign Languagespider-fingers' of the Drow was the first victim but many more followed.

The innate sagaciousness of the firbolg was reforged by his fey nature and the indomitable will of his giant ancestry, learning countless lessons from the Drow. The purpose of survival ceased being escape and became wounding and lashing back at the Drow. Gradually the conscious and aware aspect of Rothé learned when it was safe to retake control of the body. Away from the highly suspicious Drow's watchful gaze he worked at communicating with other slaves, a rudimentary system of gestures and common Drow words learned though constant exposure. Goblin, dwarf, minotaur, orc; all became tools for Rothé to visit violence and chaos upon their captors. The hopeless and hapless convinced to give their lives to create catastrophic accidents to kill even one Drow, the equally cunning and wily worked together with to sabotage what can be reached; mimicking the faerzress that has eaten away at him, Rothé now eats away at the Drow that keep him.

RP Sample: Artificer Kurt remembers a past escapade and taunts his lesser.

Last edited by Oghain; Aug 7th, 2021 at 08:57 PM.
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 02:03 AM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1128
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
How are we doing stats?
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 04:05 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Choice of point buy or dice rolling.
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 08:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10589
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
BlurbQueep is a kobold rogue who has been a slave for his entire life. His goal in life, as the last living member of his tribe, is to survive, and for that he needs his freedom. His obsession is to get to the surface and see this glorious thing others have described to him called a ‘sun’.

Application
right-aligned image
Name: Queep
Race: Kobold
Class: Rogue
Alignment: Neutral
Background: Urchin
Personality Traits:
- I always say yes even when I mean no; it’s easier than getting beaten up again.
- I want nothing more than to see the sun, a bright yellow orb in the sky that makes people warm, surely it will be glorious.
Ideal: Resilience. I’m a survivor. Whatever it takes, Queep will survive to run away another day.
Bond: Since I’m the last survivor of my tribe I will form a new tribe with people who are kind to me and accept me. I will fight to defend my tribe, like any kobold should.
Flaw: My own survival is most important, even more important than my tribe, friends or anything else.

Appearance: Queep is a rather unimpressive specimen of a less-than awe-inspiring species. The diminutive kobold stands just over two and a half feet tall and his emaciated body weights less than 30 pounds. His skin is scaly with a reddish-brown tone. He has a wide mouth with sharp teeth that seem to grow back even after being knocked loose by a blow from a guard. Like the other slaves, Queep wears whatever rags he has been able to scrounge up. He usually carries a curved stick, from which he hangs his most prized possession, a dirty glass globe with a small insect that gives off a little light when it’s agitated. He calls this globe his little sun since he figures that the real sun must be a larger version of this, clearly with a much larger bug.

Personality: Since Queep has been a slave for his entire life he is used to being the underdog, beat up, forced to work and starved. He has accepted his lot in life and stopped struggling when the guards beat him, almost hoping they finish what they have started and kill him. He has learned to grovel and beg for scraps, since he’s not strong enough to fight the other prisoners for food, but he is also quite curious, clever and sneaky, stealing what he can to survive.

Backstory: Queep was born into slavery. His small tribe of kobolds was conquered by a rowing band of orcish raiders, who subsequently sold the kobolds that survived as slaves to a tribe of quaggoths. Queep was born in the underdark, in the slave pens of the free quaggoths, and until recently he thought he’d die there as well. The number of kobolds dwindled through the years, with more and more of the slaves dying in mining accidents, through exhaustion or by being beaten to death by the slavers.

This changed recently, when only a handful of kobolds from Queek’s tribe remained. A raiding party from a drow outpost attacked the free quaggoths, enslaving all they caught. They also claimed the remaining kobolds as slaves, despite being singularly unimpressed by the emaciated survivors.

The new slaves were put to work for the drow, overseen by their quaggoth slaves, so nothing much changed for Queek. The kobolds died, one by one. Some were killed by guards, others by prisoners fighting for food, and some just never woke up in the morning. It was a fate Queep had accepted right up until old Repp died from his wounds after a cave-in crushed his lower abdomen and legs. His final words to Queep, the last remaining kobold of a tribe with a name long forgotten, were used to tell the little fellow that he was now the chieftain of the tribe, and it was his duty to make sure the tribe survived.

This inspired the young kobold. He figured he had better not tell anybody he was a chieftain, since nothing good could ever come from bringing attention to himself. But with his new title, empty as it might be with him being the only member of the tribe, he started thinking about freedom. What it might feel like. What it might feel like to belong to a tribe again.

He started listening to other prisoners brought in, especially those from the surface. It fascinated Queep that a whole world would exist with no roof, nothing to stop a person from falling into the sky. But what really kindled his imagination was when a filthy human looked at the little firebug Queep kept in his dirty glass globe and said forlornly that the globe reminded him of the sun. Queep was intrigued and asked the man about this strange thing in the sky he talked about. The more he heard, the more he wanted to see this mystical sun, a glowing disk in the sky that makes people warm just by shining on them. And so for the first time in his short life, Queep began thinking about ways to escape.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8056
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Would you like us to include our chosen classes or does it matter if that is included?
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I actually thought I had it in the ad, yes please include class details.
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 03:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8056
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
gotcha