twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 17th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5940
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
How are we dealing with things like the yacht above and a possible ships boat that my character could have which are well above the Tech level available?
Also will there be a group skill package for this game?
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 02:53 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
Application WIP
right-aligned image
Character Name: Sadie Abe
Description:
Country of origin: Japan
Breakdown of Pre-Career and Career terms: Lifepath rolls
1st Term 18-22: Military Academy (Navy)
2nd Term 23-26: Navy (Engineer/Gunner Officer)
3rd Term 27-30: Navy (Engineer/Gunner Officer)
4th Term 31-34: Navy (Engineer/Gunner Officer)
5th Term 35-38: Navy (Engineer/Gunner Officer)
6th term 39-42: Noble (Administrator)
Character History: The Abe family is an old and respected name in Japanese society. They may not be at quite the same echelon today as they were in the past when a member served as Prime Minister for well over a decade, but they were still both rich and powerful. As such they were able to secure young Sadie a spot at the Naval Academy despite average grades and middling test scores. Though a bit of a wild child, she did eventually buckle down and manage to graduate (though without honors much to her families dismay). It was only a glowing recommendation from the school's dualing club coach that allowed her to acquire a letter of commission as a Naval Officer, proving once again it isn't what you know, but who that matters.
During her first and second tours, she was posted to the Lunar colonies where she started training as an environmental engineer and made a number of contacts that she would stay in touch with for years to come. It is also when she met and eventually started a relationship with the artist Takashi Murakami after they were partnered up during a class in traditional Japanese sword fighting technique.
During her third tour of duty, she was transferred to Mars where she trained in for working with both base and ship powerplants. However, it was during her fourth tour that disaster struck. She was involved in a major accident involving a new kind of drive that could literally jump through space just like the alien ships that they would soon be all too familiar with. On the plus side, by the time that the Navy medics were done repairing her, almost all of her skin had been replaced, leaving her looking years younger. The down side was that the navy gave her a medical discharge just weeks before her Captains test despite the surgeries restoring her to as good as new. So after 16 years in the military plus another 4 at the academy, she found herself unexpectedly unemployed and out of the only life she had ever really known just when she needed it the most.
Thankfully, she knew people. Friends that she had made on Luna and Mars suggested that several of the Kepler CityHabs could make good use of her skillset and background. As a result, less than 2 months later she and Takashi found themselves on the Mitsubishi-9 CityHab where she had used her connections to secure a position as an Administrator's Assistant in the local government. She advanced through the ranks quickly and had became an Administrative Clerk in no time. Unfortunately, that quick rise in position attracted the attention of a cabal of several Earth dilettantes who wanted her assistance in a "Hostile Takeover" of the CityHab which amounted to no less than a coup d'tat. She refused and expected them to murder her in her sleep, but nothing else came of it because that very day the alien ships appeared in the solar system giving her just enough time to slip away before either the cabal or the aliens started shooting. Now, she finds herself on a fleet ship heading for what everyone hopes is a safe harbor in Alpha Centauri.
Roleplay Sample: (Just a couple paragraphs to show your character in action doing something)

Last edited by kanly; Sep 20th, 2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 02:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21432
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanly View Post
Are you allowing psychics?
Also, if you went to the Military Academy but did not graduate, and then went into the branch of service it represents do you gain any skills for that second term since you would normally get basic training, but already got all of those skills at 0 from the academy?
I would tend to say yes??? But others more well versed with Traveller may say no???

Quote:
How are we dealing with things like the yacht above and a possible ships boat that my character could have which are well above the Tech level available?
Also will there be a group skill package for this game?
For a ship/yacht, it can be part of 'The Fleet' if you like.

I am working on a group skill package, just not done yet. I am open to suggestions.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13252
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Quote:
Are you allowing psychics?
Also, if you went to the Military Academy but did not graduate, and then went into the branch of service it represents do you gain any skills for that second term since you would normally get basic training, but already got all of those skills at 0 from the academy?
I would tend to say yes??? But others more well versed with Traveller may say no???
My suggestion would be to allow a normal roll from a skill and training table, like any subsequent term

Quote:
For a ship/yacht, it can be part of 'The Fleet' if you like.
Makes sense to me. Also, if ship stats are not really going to be needed
in the campaign, then its TL is not really a factor and it just becomes a plot device.

Quote:
I am working on a group skill package, just not done yet. I am open to suggestions.
My suggestion for group skills is to wait and see what the completed team looks like and then use the package to shore up and gaps in skills that they are lacking.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 08:42 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 167
Crazymajor Crazymajor
Character
right-aligned image

Character Name: Wex Morgan

Description:

Homeworld: Belter Mining Colony, Asteroid "CityHab"

Breakdown of Pre-Career and Career terms link
Term 1 - University Graduate
Term 2 - Navy (Engineer) Crewman
Term 3 - Navy (Engineer) Able Spacehand
Term 4 - Navy (Engineer) Petty Officer, 3rd class
Term 5 - Navy (Engineer) Petty Officer, 2nd class
Term 6 - Navy (Engineer) Petty Officer, 1st class
Term 7 - Navy (Engineer) Chief Petty Officer

Character History:

Roleplay Sample:

Last edited by Crazymajor; Sep 17th, 2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 08:46 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 167
Crazymajor Crazymajor
@Drachenspirit

Due to the setting on the game just being on this one fleet. Will there be any use for 'TAS Membership' or 'Ship Share'? I would assume not but I was unfortunate enough to get 2x TAS and 2x Ship Share out of 6 rolls. xD
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 03:46 AM
Spectral Cookie Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4363
Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442
Tell me more about the setting and what you expect from us as players

Like what sort of missions or jobs might we be expected to do

Traveller itself is very broard setting and I honestly know little.

Are we humans developing our own version of the alien weapon?

Do we have giant fighting robots?

Are we restricted to human?

Last edited by Ghost6442; Sep 18th, 2021 at 03:46 AM.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 07:19 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31764
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Started an app in message #3.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 10:41 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2298
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Looks like I'm gonna write up a medic, a very experienced one!

Just checking, I got a lab ship with 50% of the mortgage paid off, I guess that it doesn't fit in the story.. does it?

Bob WIP
right-aligned image
Character Name: Doctor Bobert Herc
Homeworld: Martian

Breakdown of Pre-Career and Career terms link
Term 1 - University Graduate
Term 2 - Scholar (Medic)
Term 3 - Scholar (Medic)
Term 4 - Scholar (Medic)
Term 5 - Scholar (Medic)
Term 6 - Scholar (Medic)

Description: Bobert is a middle-aged man, tall and slim, he looks like he never laughed in his life. With graying hair, he's usually well curated, with his lab coat always perfectly tidy, unless he just stepped out of surgery. 'Function over form' might be one of his mottos, but when he doesn't have to choose between the two, he'll go for both. He's usually very cold and retentive, but he's smart enough to adapt. The Doc is also a bit full of himself, and flattery will go a long way with him.

Character History: Bobert Herc was born on Mars, in the first generation of kids born outside of Earth since the Impeller Engines started to become implemented in the fleets. Luke Herc, his father, was one of the scientists to develop hydroponics and farm domes for the livestock to provide for the booming population. Growing up in the domes among animals, with the his old man teaching him the importance of his work, young Bobert decided he was going to follow his papa's footsteps, but as he went on to study he realized that he would always gonna be living under the shadows of his father. For this and other less important reasons, he decided to change major and graduated as physician.

Despite his first intentions of going back to Mars, Herc felt adventurous and decided to start working on ships, going from MiniHub to MiniHub, and even a couple of times getting to Earth, but whenever possible he would visit Mars, the last time to visit his father's grave.
Diving into his job, Herc managed to get groundbreaking discoveries involving coagulants in zero gravity, which put him on the map for greater things.

Noticed by a certain government agency (you know who..), Bobert was asked to accompany a unit of marines on a secret mission as scientific liason after getting certified for 'civilian gun use' and being licensed for the Vacc Suits, important requisite. Luckily no harm was found, but the report gave great insight about the effects that malnutrition, artificial gravity and poor air filtration could have on the inhabitants of a MiniHub.

After another career bump he started operating on the space fleet's flagship. As Medical Director, Herc managed to run the hospital and oversee the research and Development Centre of the huge vessel. A year away from his retirement he was contacted again by the government for a special assignment, unfortunately this turned out to be much more complex and serious than the previous one. It still produced an amazing report, but the macabre reality of this new space age started to show in the doctor'eyes.

Once back on his usual ship, he barely had time to readjust that the aliens showed up. Once the communication arrived that everything in their way was pulverized, the ship tried to reach some minihubs, to rescue as many people as possible, but they were too late.

Roleplay Sample:

Extra: You know me, clean formatting, reliable poster. If you're looking for long narrative posts, I'm not your guy, my life doesn't allow me to spend that much time writing (which is why it took me this long to finish the App), but I move the game along with speed.

Last edited by Ursinorum; Sep 25th, 2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 06:25 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
@ Ursinorum
Seems like all ships are part of the fleet and not really individually owned. Perhaps you have a Med Bay of your own which is 50% paid off on a MUCH larger ship. Or maybe the Fleet ships are kind of like cargo ships and we are just in whatever space worthy modules could be attached, but a few lucky people (like you) had actual ships that they attached to the Mega-frame instead of just an 8x8x20' box.
\_(ツ)_/
Another character has a Yacht in a similar state. And my character I have the option for ship shares instead, but since we don't know what any of this is going to pan out like I haven't yet decided which to take.maybe has a ship's boat (i.e. a glorified life boat).

@Drachenspirit
Will there be any use for the skill Engineering (J-Drive)/can we even take it given the current Tech level of Humanity?
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 08:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Yeah, I imagined that with 30-some ships mine couldn't be one of them, I was subtly (now not so much) referencing that I would be leaving 67000 credits on the table, so yes, my own lab on the ship would be a good compensation, but I'm open to alternatives

(If chosen, obviously..)
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 09:26 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
That's actually 67,000,000,000 Cr67000 MCr worth of ship on the table which is quite a sizable chunk of change.
Sadie had to take an extra term just to get Bad rolls, but still...20,000 Cr (Half of which went to recovering her aging effects).
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 09:36 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Quote:
Sadie had to take an extra term just to get Bad rolls, but still...20,000 Cr (Half of which went to recovering her aging effects).
Botox?
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 04:20 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
That's actually 67,000,000,000 Cr67000 MCr worth of ship on the table which is quite a sizable chunk of change.
Holy crap! I missed that! That is a considerable amount of table-money!!

Ageing wise, I hit 34 at the beginning of this year and I have to admit that the "you start to feel the effects of your age" hit close to home.. at least my PC didn't roll "you're now intolerant to most food on the planet" or "every sneeze comes with a back injury" on the ageing effects table..
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 05:02 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
you're now intolerant to most food on the planet
It's alright, we are living on a fleet of nomads ships going... somewhere lol