RPXP: 1324
Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer
Into the Heart of Decay

Game NameInto the Heart of Decay
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeFight for survival in a harsh world of gothic terror
FlavourPsychological Horror, Gothic Horror, Post Apocalyptic
Plot Summary

And why fight it at all? Is it that you derive pleasure from this nothingness of an existence, trapped as you are in this decaying temple of flesh and bone? Is it that you seek a door into a world that you could never hope to understand and are truly not worthy of?

Deep within the depths of the Shadowfell there lies a realm of dark dreams and darker nightmares. A Demiplane of Dread that spins its web across the multiverse, looking to draw the unwary in as a spider would seek to lure its prey into its web. Once ensnared there is no way out of this place. The Demiplane of Dread is a twisted echo of reality, a world that, as it seems to be both comfortable and familiar on the surface, hides itís dark truth beneath this veneer of familiarity. At the core of this dark place lie the enigmatic entities known as the Dark Powers. Who or what these entities truly are has not been, and will likely never be answered. Yet these unseen creatures, be they made of flesh or made of spirit, sit at the heart of their demiplane and, like demented puppeteers, they dangle the strings of all who dwell within their dark, shadowy realm.

The Dark Powers do not distinguish between good and evil. They do not differentiate between an innocent soul or a corrupted one. Each of them brings something tantalising, something truly delightful to these mysterious beings. For the former, there is nothing more delightful than the slow, lingering corruption of a soul that was once truly pure as it is broken and twisted until it becomes something truly unrecognisable and wholly evil. For the latter, for those who are truly lost, the Dark Powers delight in the eternal torture of the truly damned as they are reduced to nothing more than the playthings of those who call themselves master.

There is no hiding from the Dark Powers. Irrespective of where a soul chooses to hide across the multiverse, it is not possible to escape the dark mists of Ravenloft should they come calling, ensnaring the unwary in an embrace there is no escape fromÖ..

The foreboding mists of Ravenloft open their clammy, sinister arms to the unwary traveller. Though you try to escape their cold embrace, it is not possible. The Demiplane of Dread plays its own games by its own rules.

The dark mists of Ravenloft have captured their latest unwitting souls. It doesnít matter which way you walk, every single direction looks the same as you are subsumed within their ethereal walls. You walk one way, then another. You chase shadows within the mist, and follow sounds that you hope will lead you to a way out from this claustrophobic, nightmarish realm of neverending grey nothingness. And yes, eventually the mists do recede, but the place they have taken you is like none you have ever seen beforeÖ.

There is little that compares to the arid wasteland that lies before you. A desolate nightmarish place, the harsh winds cast the stinging dirt of the badlands into your eyes. In this case first appearances are exactly as they appear to be, and this broken wasteland is exactly that ó a land that is rotting and decaying. A realm that is dying, yet is no less dangerous for its slow, lingering death. There are terrible terrible things here, twisted mockeries of beings that were once whole but have long since deteriorated into primal, bestial madness. Their keening screams pierce through all unfortunate enough to hear them, as theirs is the sound of a slow, creeping doom.

Yes, a twist of fate has brought you here to this desolate and twisted landscape, where death rules over all along with the dreadful creatures that lie between the land and the sky, and the broken cities that lie dotted around the decaying landscape. Your task is simplicity itself, though itís execution will be far from such. Survive long enough in this inhospitable wasteland, and you might, just might, uncover the truth of this dreadful place and the darklord that casts its shadow over it. Yet, the badlands where the twisted ones roam, and the cities where the worst recesses of humanity lie within will take a terrible terrible price in return for this survival. The questions that are asked are deceptively simple, yet their answers are not so ó to what depths will you fall to ensure your own survival? Is survival worth your own morally grey actions to achieve? Is your continued existence worth the lives of others who will surely die in your stead?

This is a dark land cast under the shadow of its hidden lord ó one who watches the world go by silhouetted by the silver radiance of his god looking down upon him in the night sky. One who holds the land in the grip of an impenetrable wall of fire that turns all those who wish to cross into nothing more than burning ash.

More than any other domain in the Demiplane of Dread, this is a land that is crying out for change. This is a land that is crying out for not only salvation, but redemption from the countless sins that have stained it forever in the blood of innocents. Will you be the bringers of that change, or the harbingers of its final death?

About the Game I feel that it is important in PbP games in general, and this game in particular, to set the expectation of what this game is, and what it is not. There are a lot of games advertised on the site that are traditional good vs evil fantasy romps where good will absolutely triumph over evil. This is absolutely not one of those games.

This game from the outset will be very dark in tone, with the sort of unremitting bleakness that will rarely let up. There will be moments of humour and light in it, but they will be very few and far between to stave off the ever encroaching darkness. It will not be a game that is heavy on combat, in fact combat will only be used sparingly to push the story forward. This game will be very cerebral in nature and it will be very heavy. There will be some parts of it that are meant to be unsettling and it will ask some very difficult questions of you and your characters.

As part of this game I will subvert some very common fantasy tropes and expectations and we will explore what it actually means to be a hero. Is your hero one who will look to do the greater good, even if that means doing some pretty questionable things to make sure that you survive long enough to action that greater good? Or will you do what you perceive to be the right thing irrespective of the personal cost? In this game there are no right and wrong answers. There is no black and white, just different shades of grey.

For that reason, mechanics and party composition mean little to me in this game, I am more interested in deep and interesting characters. I am looking for mature storytellers and role players who can handle such a game, and if you are then I welcome you to the game with open arms. The expected post rate will be twice a week.

One last thing, everything above notwithstanding, this will be a safe space for all so I would like you to, as part of your applications and in secret text to me give me a list of hard noís as regards to horror within games.

I think Iíve covered everything above that needs to be covered, but if there is anything you are not certain of then by all means let me know.

Application Criteria I will favour a traditional format for applications for this game. Please submit me an application in the following format:

Name:
Race: Variant Rules allowed, to be taken from the accepted sources below.
Class:
Alignment: Non-evil alignments only
Personality Traits:
Ideal:
Bond:
Flaw:

Provide me with a bit more of an in-depth write-up on the following:

Appearance (include picture):
Personality:
Backstory:
RP Sample:

Finally, in secret text to me could you provide me with one secret that your character knows, and one secret that they do not know. These can be absolutely anything you want them to be.

When the game begins, starting level will be level 3.

Acceptable Sources for the game are as follows: PHB, XgtE, Voloís, SCAG, Van Richtenís Guide to Ravenloft.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 11:21 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Reserved
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 11:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4174
SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer
Posting interest.

What's the deadline? Are you expecting the characters to be natives of this domain or swallowed by the mists?
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 11:58 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
No deadline as of yet, I will communicate closer to the time. I expect characters to be swallowed by the mists rather than be natives.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 04:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4253
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
what level do we start at?
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 04:37 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29930
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
WIP Bretton GoldenName: Bretton Golden
right-aligned image

Race: Variant Human
Class: Fighter: Battlemaster
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Noble

Personality Traits: I always strive to do the right thing, in every situation...as long as there is little risk, or discomfort. It would probably be better if I just donated money.

Ideal: I am a good man. I may be indulgent and some would say even petulant, but I am a good man. If you think otherwise, just wait... I'll prove you wrong!

Bond: I am loyal to my family. I know that, in their eyes, I am a disappointment. I always tell myself that I will make them proud but fate seems to say otherwise.

Flaw: As I said earlier, I am my family's biggest disappointment. I offer no excuses, except to say that growing up the youngest son of a disinterested noble father certainly did not engrain discipline and respect into my character. We have all suffered as a result.

Appearance (include picture): Bretton does not stand out in a crowd. He does not command attention nor does he particularly care to. Bretton stands approximately 5'8 and weighs, on a good day, 175lbs. He wears his golden highlighted brown hair cut short as he does not want to be bothered keeping it styled in some peacock manner. Bretton does not need the finer things in life, but let's be honest. Poor quality clothing is itchy and ill fitting, so Bretton likes his clothing a bit on the finer side, with a dash of color, preferably forest green and sky blue. Bretton likes to bandy about with his two scimitars, gifts from his mother at his sides. He has named them Fate and Destiny and carries them in jet black scabbards.

Personality: Bretton is a good natured boy from a noble family that never really had time for him. As a result Bretton never learned the value of hard work and discipline. Bretton has become the king of the dilettantes. He has dabbled in this...dabbled in that...and mastered nothing. His family did try to steer him right but the only skill he did acquire is the ability to make excuses and blame others.

Last edited by Begon Ugo; Sep 25th, 2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 04:42 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Seeker34 you will start at level 3.

@Begon Ugo, by all means go ahead. Although I’ve deliberately not named the starting location here to maintain a sense of mystery, particularly for those who have read VRGTR, I can absolutely confirm that this game has nothing to do with Barovia or Strahd so there’s nothing here that will be spoiled for you DM’ing it
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 05:58 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1128
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Oooh, Ravenloft game! I would really like to play in a Ravenloft game and have applied to another but if I don't get chosen I would very much like to try to whip up a good app for this one, as well. Interested but I must know if I make it into the other one.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 06:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4253
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Name: Mason Ashford
Race: Dhampir
Class: Sorcerer - Sorcerous Origin: Shadow Magic
Alignment: CN
Background: Sage - Specialty: Researcher
Personality Traits: I've read every book in the world’s greatest libraries—or I like to boast that I have.
Ideal: The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge.
Bond: My life’s work is a series o f tomes related to a specific field of lore.
Flaw: Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and take notes on its anatomy.
Appearance: Standing at 6 feet even, medium build, he looks like a very handsome young human male. Sandy hair down to his mid neck with a matching goatee and green eyes. He is dressed in black leather, with a bow at his back and a dagger sheathed at each thigh.
right-aligned image

Personality: He's a Moody person, sometimes he seems easy going and friendly, other times he's quiet. When he is busy, or his mind is elsewhere, he seems like one of the guys, but during quiet times, it gives him time to think of his life and he becomes quiet, not really wanting to be bothered.
Backstory:

Roleplay Sample:

In secret text to me, provide me with one secret that your character knows, and one secret that they do not know. These can be absolutely anything you want them to be:

Last edited by Seekr34; Sep 28th, 2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 08:30 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6428
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
right-aligned image

Name: Snow Denius
Race: Half-elf
Class: Wizard/necromancer
Background: Sage
Alignment: lawful neutral
Personality trait:
1 I am quiet and keep to myself
2 i burn with a quiet smoldering anger that I fear will one day consume me.
Ideal: Vengeance. Those who harm the innocent must be punished
Bond: I sold my soul for knowledge. I hope to do great deeds with it and win it back
Flaw: My hatred blinds me and causes me to make unwise choices

Appearance: Snow is an albino with white skin, long white hair, and red eyes. He is tall, six foot one, but very slender. He has a grim expression and rarely smiles. He wears black leather decorated with various bones, and carries a war scythe that looks to be made out of bone for when he needs to get his hands dirty.

Personality: Snow is a quiet, reserved person who rarely smiles and almost never laughs. He is tunnel visioned on getting stronger to enact his revenge on his elven relatives and Is frustrated by anything that distracts him from furthering that goal. He is slow to trust new people, but once someone has proven themselves a friend to him, he is fiercely loyal to them.

Despite all his anger, Snow still has a kind heart for innocent people and will go out of his way to help others if he can. He doesn't want anyone else to suffer like he has, other than the snow elves. He is also very fond of animals and treats his zombie rat familiar like a living creature.

When it comes to anything other than his kin, Snow is calm and rational, even when being insulted or discriminated against. He simple doesn't think anything that isn't a snow elf is worth his anger.

Backstory:
Snow’s elven mother Tityanna Torsonna was from a tribe of elves who were extreme isolationists, xenophobes, and down right racist against all other races, especially humans. They lived in the cold north and survived mostly by hunting and fishing. Despite their hatred for the outside world, they did let a handful of merchants come to their frozen island to trade things that the snow elves couldn’t get themselves such as metal, fruits, and vegetables. Snows Father, Cairn Denius was one such merchant. His parents met and found each other enticingly exotic, and became lovers. When Tityanna discovered she was pregnant, she eloped with Cairn and fled her people, for they would murder her for laying with a human, and the child for being an abomination that tainted their pure bloodline.

The pair settled in a coastal village where Tityanna fished, and Cairn continued his work as a merchant. They made good money and lived comfortably. Unfortunately, Snow had a much harder time of it. Being not only an elf, but an albino, he was treated as a pariah by the other villagers and made few friends. This made him grow into a sad, lonely introvert.

Then they came.

The snow elves arrived in the village having heard rumors of one of their kind living there. They threatened to kill everyone in the village if they didn’t hand her over. To save the villagers, and Snow and her husband, Tityanna surrendered herself and was taken away. She told Snow and Cairn not to worry, that she would talk things over with her father. Even Snow knew this was a lie to make them feel better. His mother had often told him of how wicked her people were. She always told him to hide if he ever saw one, for they would kill him on sight.

Two weeks later, the elves returned. Cairn’s father went to meet with them, hoping desperately that his wife was with them, and she was…some of her anyway.

In his grief stricken anger, Cairn attacked the elves and was swiftly cut down, leaving Snow an orphan.

Snow watched the scene play out while hiding. He saw the sneering grins on the snow elves’ faces, and it lit a flame of hatred in him that never went out. He swore revenge against the snow elves. He would make them pay. He would wipe their race from existence for what they had done.

He took his inheritance and enrolled in a mages college to study magic. Like his mother, he had an affinity for magic, but there was one school he was especially proficient at, and fittingly enough it was the very school he most wanted to learn, for among his mothers stories of the snow elves, she had told him that there was one school of magic they hated. Necromancy.

Snow knew that to wipe out an entire race, he would need an army. Being not only a commoner, but a halfbreed who was not wealthy, there was no way for Snow to get an army of the living, but an army of the dead was doable.

While at the college, Snow made few friends, but one very unpleasant enemy. Darien Jakas was the son of a noble, and a vicious, cruel, entitled young man who took every opportunity to insult Snow. Snow paid him little mind, unwilling to waste his hatred and anger on anything other than the snow elves. His tunnel vision would cost him dearly, for necromancy was forbidden in the college and Snow taught himself in secret. He managed to animate a rat which he kept as a pet, but one day one of the masters barged into his room while his rat was out. At first Snow was confused as to the reason for the intrusion, but when he saw Darien standing in the hallway sneering at him, he understood. Somehow the human had learned of the rat and reported him.

Snow was expelled from the college and supported himself as an adventurer while continuing to study as best he could. He helped those who needed it, and killed those who deserved it, and along the way he gained a small reputation that drew the attention of his kin. it wasn't long before they sent assassins after him. rather than be afraid, he welcomed the chance to kill his cousins, for never did he lose sight of his ultimate goal. He would kill them. He would kill them all.

Last edited by Togot; Sep 26th, 2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 09:43 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
WIP:
right-aligned image

Name: Keres D'Veregen
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Ranger (Beast Master)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Soldier (Calvary/Scout)
Personality Traits:
-His nights are haunted by the memories of war, he can't seem to escape them.
-He likes to face problems head on, A simple, straight-forward solution is the best path to success.

Ideal:
-Independence: When people follow orders blindly, they embrace a kind of tyranny. (Chaotic)

Bond:
-He sacrificed his life and inadvertently the lives of others for the one he loved and he would do it again.

Flaw:
-He made a strategic error in battle that cost the lives of his comrades and possibly the kingdom.

Appearance: Keres is a tall man, broad in the shoulders and somewhat narrow at the hip with long black hair draping from right to left over the horrible scars that cover the left side of his face and some of his shoulder. The eye on his left side is milky white and useless but the other is a piercing ice-blue. His flesh is ruddy and scarred in places from being a soldier and fighting in several skirmishes. His facial features are otherwise hawk-like in shape, a trait of royal blood in his home city. He wears chainmail armor that is well-worn, the leather shoulderpad on the left side is missing but the straps that once held it on are shriveled and black. He carries a spear shod with iron at the butt-end of the strong wooden haft with a narrow, sharp tip at the other end as well as a heavy mace with a heavy steel flange head that hangs in a loop on his belt. He rides a sleek, muscular mare with a bay coat and wild dark brown mane and tail with a white streak down her face that he named Morninglight. Keres raised her from a foal, after assisting with the birth exactly at dawn, in the 'morning light'. Upon the plain leather saddle hangs Keres' longbow and quiver of arrows.

Personality: Keres is young and hot-headed, somewhat naive but when he sets his eyes upon something he wants, he knows he is going to have to fight if he really wants it. This is a quality of his destitute upbringing as the son of a serving girl. He often leaps before he looks but oftentimes, his well-honed abilities and determination are enough to see him through. He can come off as somewhat aloof or arrogant when concerning his own skills, seeing his training as an Elite soldier something to be proud of despite the somewhat hopeless purpose of his profession.

Backstory:

RP Sample:

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Oct 2nd, 2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 09:45 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
What kind of stats are we using just so I have a ballpark of my intended character's capabilities?

And starting funds?

One of my first thoughts that I want to utilize is a warrior that relies on a horse in combat. Mounted combat. I just wanna know if we have the funds and such to pull that off.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Sep 24th, 2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 10:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2946
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
belfaris
right-aligned image
Name:belfaris
Race: tiefling
Class:whispers bard
Alignment: cg
Background:noble
Personality Traits:The common folk love me for my kindness and generosity.
My favor, once lost, is lost forever.
Ideal: Independence. I must prove that I can handle myself without the coddling of my family.
Bond:The common folk must see me as a hero of the people.
Flaw: I secretly believe that everyone is beneath me.

Appearance (include picture): in dark leather armor stands a devilish bard. His nobility seen for all. He wears a rapier of a fine gentleman alongside his musical equipment.
Personality: a man of the people for the people by the people. This is where his heart lies not amongst the evils of the darklords. Though born a noble birth he has always felt a kinship with the people though by birth being above them in morality and authority. He is friends to those who are friends in return though cross him and you'll wish you were dead. He'd still rather be friends though.
Backstory: born in waterdeep his family traveled as distinguished royalty in Neverwinter. Ashmadai attempted to recruit him though seeing the acts being done and their association with his devilish heritage. He did find the harpers though and learned to infiltrate and help people though his words.

Navigating the royal courts with the help of the harpers he learned magical secrets and various skills while assisting the people of Neverwinter and keeping the thugs from controlling commerce.
RP Sample:
"Greetings lady Larentansel I assume your adventures went well did you find any interesting among the barbarians?"

"Well things are certainly different when you choose to ignore civilized life. "

"I would assume so" belfaris sits down his tail gently wrapping around his leg. "Come have a seat. Gabriel please pour some wine for the both of us."

"Yes master" he then leaves to gather the bottle.

With the room empty "were you able to meet our contract? "

"Yes, they were able to take the directive."

"Good then let's discuss the finner points of civilized life.
"

Gabriel comes back and pours the wine belfaris hands Gabriel a note before Gabriel then leaves to accomplish other tasks.

Last edited by delpinator; Sep 26th, 2021 at 01:16 AM.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 02:03 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Tiger Basilisk
Edit: I am withdrawing my application from this game. Anyone else is welcome to occupy this character type. I would like reading the game when it begins, though.

Previous: I shall try my hand at this, too. A dark game that wears down the soul needs at least one happy-go-lucky character to ruin, so I will begin building my character along those lines.

Last edited by Tiger Basilisk; Sep 30th, 2021 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Withdrawal
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 02:33 AM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2487
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
ApplicationName: Ulorin "Grey" Hoth
Race: Half-Elf
Class: of vengeancePaladin
Alignment: Lawful Good
Appearance:

Background: Haunted One
Harrowing Event: A monster that slaughtered dozens of innocent people spared your life, and you don't know why.
Personality Trait: I like to read and memorize poetry. It keeps me calm and brings me fleeting moments of happiness.
Ideal: I kill monsters to make the world a safer place, and to exorcise my own demons. (Good)
Bond: I would sacrifice my life and my soul to protect the innocent.
Flaw: I have certain rituals that I must follow every day. I can never break them.
Trinket: A broken pendant of a silver dragon that's always cold to the touch
Personality in detail

Background Narrative:

Last edited by Jasontheswift; Sep 25th, 2021 at 02:42 AM.