Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1924
Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
Rappan Athuk DND 5e

DEADLINE 10/26

Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeMega Dungeon
FlavourModerately serious, Grim and hopeless.
Title
Rappan Athuk 5e

Game DescriptionThe Legend of Rappan Athuk is well known, told numerous times by bards, adventurers, sages, and loremasters. It is summarized below. The characters may know some or all of this legend. Many hundreds of years ago, the forces of good allied to destroy the main Temple of Orcus in the ancient city of Tsar. With their temple in ruins, the surviving high priests of this accursed demon-god fled the city with an army of enemies on their trail — an army of heroic fighters, clerics and paladins — led by Zelkor, a powerful wizard. The exact fate of these evil priests is unknown, for not only did the remnants of the followers of Orcus disappear from all human reckoning, but so did the army of light that followed after them disappear as well. Some said that in the eternal scales the loss of so many good men was a fair price to pay to rid the world of so much evil.

The evil cult, however, had not been destroyed. The surviving priests and their followers instead settled on a hill near the Forest of Hope, a sylvan woodland near the Coast Road. There they found a vast underground Stuck Doors and Wandering Monsters, complex of caverns and mazes, carving out a volcanic intrusion beneath the hill. The priests of Orcus had found the perfect lair to continue their vile rituals. For many years, they carried on in secret, hidden from the light and from the knowledge of men. Many years later, their underground delving completed, the evil priests erected a hideous mausoleum and graveyard atop the hill. It is believed that these graves are the final resting place of the pursuing army of heroes that had been destroyed to a man. Soon after the mausoleum was erected the peaceful creatures of the wood began to disappear. Though many rangers and druids investigated these happenings, the cause of the creatures’ disappearance was not immediately determined. Some years later a powerful group of adventurers, led by Bofred, a high priest of ThorÞórr, investigated the evil happenings and found the sunken graveyard leading to a labyrinthine complex. Bofred and his companions found great hordes of evil creatures in the complex. Though some of his companions returned from their expedition, telling tales of fantastic treasure and ferocious monsters, Bofred was never seen again — lost in the catacombs beneath the cursed mausoleum.

For the last century and more, ranks of adventurers have ventured to the newfound dungeon. Many fell prey to bandits and monsters in the surrounding wilderness. Rumors suggest that of those who survived to reach the mausoleum and sunken graveyard, most were slain by guardians of green stone or perished near the entrance. Those rare few who return from deeper treks speak of horrible undead and creatures that cannot be slain. All who have explored Rappan Athuk offer this one universal piece of advice: “Don’t go down the Well."

IntroductionWelcome! Odds are that you have, at one time or another, heard the name Rappan Athuk. For those who have not this is THE GRAND DADDY of all dungeon crawls. When in first came out it was nearly impossible to get through without some substantial help from the DM and a lot, a lot of luck. Also the need for a necromancer...or two.

The PDF for this game is nearly 700 pages long. That is for the entirety of the game, which chunks we will not use or ever see the light of day. This is a dungeon crawl by all means of the phrase so if you are one who loves elaborate story lines and elegant plot hooks, don't join this one

We will begin at the thorp of Zelkor's Ferry in the Eastreach Province. The Ferry is a small cluster of buildings surrounded by an old stone wall that once served as a border fort. Zelkor’s Ferry now provides an inn and a small trading post for occasional river traffic and infrequent overland travelers following the river trail to and from the Coast Road. The Ferry is the last convenient place for downriver traffic to make a safe landing, so although the settlement is small, and the river traffic is infrequent, barges and keelboats do arrive here from time to time, offloading cargoes bound for the Coast Road. The Ferry is east of the small town of Renderby, northwest of the village of Amrin Ferry and south of the metropolis that is the port of Eastwych.

DeathIf you die and the party can't bring you back to life via a spell, you can start a new character with a different character class 1 level lower than your previous level or you may start as a 1st level character with no restriction.

Roleplay vs RollplaySeriously, this is a classic dungeon crawl campaign. If dungeon crawls aren't your thing, don't apply.

CharactersClass: Standard choices
Race: Aarakocra, air genasi, beasthide shifter, blue merfolk, changeling, corsi creed merfolk, dragonborn, earth genasi, green merfolk, eladrin, firbolg, emeria creed merfolk, fire genasi, forest gnome, goliath, grung, half-elf, hawk-headed aven, human, high elf, hill dwarf, ibis-headed aven, kalashtar, khenra, leonin, lightfoot halfling, longstride shifter, kor, lizardfolk, loxodon, mountain dwarf, naga, rock gnome, satyr, stout halfling, swiftride shifter, tabaxi, tortle, triton, water genasi, wildhide shifter, variant human, ula creed merfolk, wood elf, & yuan-ti pureblood. PC demographics for those of you who are interested: human (79%), with smaller numbers of elves (9%), dwarves(5%), halflings (3%), gnomes (2%), half-elves (1%) and all others (1%).
Level: 1
Alignment: I actually expect you to play your alignmentAny Good, LN, N, LE
HP: Max first level; 2nd+, roll and either take that number or the class average.
Stats: This is a test to see if you can follow instructions.inum 7x4d6kh3 Drop 1 score and arrange the other 6 as you see fit. DO NOT ROLL IN ADVERTISEMENT THREAD as this is against site rules. Here is a LINK to a dice roller thread. If Lady Luck just doesn't like you, you can use 27 point buy instead of the roll.
Languages: Humans can get ethnic language for free: Gaeling (Riverfolk), Gasquen (Foerdewaith empire- archaic), Vanigothic (Vanigoth Barbarians). Most just speak Westerling (Common).

Cleric and PaladinsCleric and Paladins do not pick the normal domains or oaths but rather follow the specialty domain or oath associated with their deity. They must also follow alignment restriction.
Deity Alignment Decription Cleric Domain Paladin Oath
Anasi CN Trickster Spirit of Knowledge and Stories Devious Spider Domain CG or CN Oath of Stolen Knowledge CN or LN
Athena LG Goddess of Wisdom, Civilization, and War Polias Domain Any Good -
Baba Yaga N Goddess of Earth and Nature Wise Domain N Oath of Wisdom LN
Freyja CG Goddess of Love, Fertility, Sorcery, and War Spaekona Domain Any good, N Oath of the Eidrdrenger Any good, LN
Fuji N Goddess of Fire and Volcanoes Sorayama Domain NG, N, LN Oath of the Shobo-shi NG, N, LN
Heckate CN Goddess of Crossroads and the Underworld Self Domain any chaotic Oath of the Crossroads any chaotic (rarely LE)
Inti NG Creator God of the Sun Inti-Churi Domain any good Oath of the Inti-Hapaq ang good, usually LG
Ishtar CN Goddess of Freedom, Justice, Natural Law, Outcasts, and Light Natural Law Domain any Oath of Natural Order any, usually good or neutral
Mazu LG Supreme Goddess of the Sea Seeker Domain LG Oath of the Sea Goddess LG
Nayenezgani & Tobadzistsini NG Twin Brothers, Slayers of Alien Gods Elder Domain LG, LN, NG Oath of the Sacred Mountain LG, LN, NG
Saraswati LG Goddess of Knowledge, Music, and Art - -
Shango CN God of Thunder and Sky Elegunshango Domain CG or CN Oath of the Storm any good or neutral
Shiva NG/NE Supreme God of Creation and Destruction Vipra Domain LG, NG, LN, N Oath of the Kshatriya LG or LN
Tengri N God of Judgment and All the Elements Shamanic Domain any good, LN, N Oath of the Sky Warrior LG, LN
Þórr CG God of Storms, Thunder, and War - Oath of the Aesir any good
Turan CG Goddess of True Love and Seduction Beauty Domain any good Oath of the Beloved any good, usually LG
Viviene NG Queen of Avalon Avalon Domain any good, usually LG Knight of Avalon any good, usually LG

Other Classes
  • Bards of the College of Illumination LG, LN, NG (considered priests of Saraswati)
  • Fighter, Hoplite (usually followers of Athena)
  • Monk, Way of Cruelty Any Evil or N (followers of Tchernobog evil God of Darkness, Night, and the Underworld)
  • Monk, Way of the Volcano (folowers of Fuji)
  • Sorcerer, Cryomancer
  • Sorcerer, Electromancer
  • Sorcerer, Pyromancer
  • Warlock, Baba Yaga Otherworldly Patron

ApplicationsName: Silly names will lose you points towards being accepted.The name to be written on your tombstone.
Image: Required I'm serious. There are plenty of free online tools/sites to resize a pic if yours is larger than 320x240.(no larger than 320x240)
Race:
Class:
Character Sheet: Or stat array if you want to avoid a character sheet until chosen.
  • Trait #1:
  • Trait #2:
  • Ideal:
  • Flaw:
  • Bond:
Personality: What is your character like? How do they get along with others?
Background: Why is your character on a suicide run into the legendary Rappan Athuk? Gold? prestige? love? a masochistic tendency?
Roleplay sample of a fight:While much of this game will be determined on your rolls I do still expect us to craft a story together so give me a short example (Paragraph at least?) of how you would describe your character in a fight scene.

Other Questions
  • Party Size: 6 (if players drop below 5, recruitment opened again).
  • Deadline: Not set yet.
  • Post Rate: If you can't post twice a week, don't apply.
  • Bonus Feat: After party is chosen, you'll receive a bonus feat.

Applicants
PLAYER CHARACTER RACE CLASS STATUS
Grouchy Damien Underfoot Harfoot Cleric Complete
Hal Hammerhand Engva of the Ghost Fangs Tribe Variant Human Barbarian Complete
O2CXt3 Fogrut Orebranch Mountain Dwarf Fighter Complete
Onward Alex Olgard XLVII Human Bard Complete
Postra Glib Human Rogue Complete
The Dark Star Hando Ashguard Jorgenson Mountain Dwarf Fighter WIP
Togot Skurvin Blackmane Human Necromancer Complete

Last edited by Shula; Oct 8th, 2021 at 08:31 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 08:46 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31714
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Cool another instance of slaughtering!
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 10:20 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1324
Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer
Nyaaaaahhhh, why am I drawn to this like the proverbial moth to the flame ?
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 11:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer View Post
Nyaaaaahhhh, why am I drawn to this like the proverbial moth to the flame ?
My guess is that at some point a teacher called you incorrigible and so you now have a deep seeded compulsion to punish yourself for it. 'Pie Lesu Domine, Dona Eis Requiem'
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 11:27 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1324
Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shula View Post
My guess is that at some point a teacher called you incorrigible and so you now have a deep seeded compulsion to punish yourself for it. 'Pie Lesu Domine, Dona Eis Requiem'
Dammit I’m rumbled
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 12:02 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 970
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
no drow ohh well.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 12:50 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3676
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDragon0 View Post
no drow ohh well.
Btw, why no drow?
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 12:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daendil View Post
Btw, why no drow?
B/c the people of Zelkor's Ferry do not trust characters associated with evil races and so do not allow them to enter. This would cause problems to the PC group that needs a safe base of operations. The only reason I don't disallow Yuan-ti is that a Player can have a character whose scales can be hidden by clothing thus passing as human.

Besides, including sub-races I believe there's 39 racial choices. I'm sure that combined with the 14 classes (alchemist and blood hunter included) and however many sub-classes there are that someone can come up with a character concept that they like.

Last edited by Shula; Sep 26th, 2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 02:03 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1128
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Less RP and story and more Roll playing?
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 02:35 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1128
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
The Strongest of All:
right-aligned image

Name: Engva of the Ghost Fangs Tribe
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Barbarian
Character Sheet:

• Trait #1:
    -I once ran twenty miles to warn my tribe of an approaching orc horde. I'd do it again if I had to.
  • Trait #2:
    -I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folks, Money and manners won't save you from a hungry owlbear.
  • Ideal:
    -I must earn glory for myself and my clan, to make them proud as they watch over me from the heavens.
  • Bond:
    -I am the last of my tribe and it my duty to make sure their names enter legends.
  • Flaw:
    -There's no room in a life lived to the fullest.
Personality: Engva is flirtatious and boisterous, confident in her skills and out to prove herself to everyone she comes in contact with. She doesn't draw a line very easily between what is appropriate and what isn't. She lives with no regrets and is always looking forward to the next thrill or danger.

Background: Engva was born the first daughter and only child of the chief and it was quickly put upon her shoulders that it was her duty to take over the mantle of the leader of her people. Her father was already quite ill when she was born and the soon after death of her mother from complications didn't help his conditions. At the age of twelve, she had already hunted and brought down the great wolf of the green meadow and by the time she was fifteen she had bested the strongest of her tribe in single combat. She was a prodigy among her own people but the responsibility of leadership was a far heavier burden than she had ever bore. While out on the plains, she spotted an orc horde from afar and ran the full twenty miles back to her village but it was too late to prepare a defensive. The orc horde swept through the village and left only one survivor, young Engva.

She now wanders the land looking for the greatest challenges so that she can claim glory and fame for her tribe as it's last representative.

Roleplay sample of a fight: Engva drew her jeweled sword from it's back scabbard with a metallic 'shing' that signaled a battle, for sure. Her face twisted into a scowl as she brought the sword into both hands before her. Her muscular, bare thighs tensed and flexed as she lunged forward. Her large breasts swung and heaved as she lifted her blade over her head and a shout tore from her throat, a battle cry to strike fear into her enemies. The first strike rang against the steel armor of the knight she faced down but this wasn't her first fight against an armored opponent. Her blood boiled as she swung her sword on the backhand, aimed low at the knight's knees, her scant armor holding back her heavy bosoms nearly letting go as she rolled defensively underneath the opposing warriors horizontal slash as his knee spurted blood from where Engva's blade bit between the chinks in his armor.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Oct 8th, 2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 03:30 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 970
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daendil View Post
Btw, why no drow?
it said no drow or tiefling.... but now I can't find it.

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Sep 26th, 2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 04:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4253
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
no dhampir...bummer, will have to look at the list of races again
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 09:16 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 351
Onward Onward Onward Onward
App
right-aligned image

Name: Alex Olgard XLVII
Race: Human
Class: Bard (Valor)
[B]Character Sheet:

Background: Soldier (Infantry)
Trait #1: I have a crude sense of humor.
Trait #2: I can stare down a hell hound without flinching.
Ideal: Independence. When people follow orders blindly, they embrace a kind of tyranny.
Flaw: I've made a terrible mistake in battle that cost many lives – to seek atonement is what I seek.
Bond: I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.
Personality: Alex's mannerism is often crude and crass, bordering on the offensive and rude. Other than that, she's pretty friendly to most people she meets. She treats most of her friends as if they were a bunch of youngsters about to head to their first ball, often gets teased for acting like a grandma. Her years throughout the war has muddled her mind on life, making her more prone on dangerous choices.
Backstory: Alex comes from the Olgard family and she is the 47th Alex to be named after the original Alex. You see, their have been many Alexes that have either died young or lived a life of misery, it has been a long running tradition and goal to name the first born of an Olgard as an Alex just so this Alex can find their own happiness. However, it often ends in failure, it has been so when the first Alex died from a disease. Then the Olgard decided to name their second born Alex, then he died out of a hunting accident, then they named their cousin Alex and she died from mysterious circumstance, and then the fourth was framed for murder and lived a life sentence eventually hanging himself and then fifth died and it went on and on. This almost felt like a curse, in fact it might be, if an elf were to met an Alex from 100 years ago to see their descendant Alex, they could not tell the difference between each Alex except the gender. But despite this curse, the Olgard family didn't know when to quit, so they keep naming a child Alex for each generation and now at present Alex the 47th is the longest living Alex to date, her age is 34 by the way. This Alex though was the rebellious sort, even worst was that she was a rebellious musician. Knowing that her fight was sealed when she was named Alex, she decided to leave her family behind and live her life to the fullest as a wandering minstrel. This did not go as planned, first off was poverty, then she went off to be a bandit but was captured by an army where they forced her to enlist. She managed to escape military life after surviving the Massacre of a hundred men (the names pretty self explanatory) and has tried recovering from depression she received through that whole ordeal. She couldn't recover and her life as a minstrel went to tatters along with her goals. But she does try to be optimistic and instead opts to live a life of danger (this is definitely not her trying to mask any suicidal thoughts or tendencies), then she heard about a legendary dungeon chalk full of perils. Exactly what she needed, so she sets off toward her destination, toward Rappan Athuk.

RP Fight: The heat of the flames covering the entirety of the walls were intense. Blood was littered across the entire fight, the sound of iron meeting iron ripples through the room, the flames dance at this dance of death. Alex grips her lute, staring at the havoc that keeps unfolding. She knows enemy reinforcements are gonna push through the barricade and yet they still have many more men to deal with. She scans the room, looking for a way out but gives out a sigh,"You guys aren't making this easy on me, are you." she then starts strumming her lute and sings a melancholic song. The lyrics were in elvish, the words can't be translated to common but it was a calming presence all the same. When Alex finish her tune, the entire room lit a flame, but not the fires threatening to consume them, it was a blueish flame that engulf their enemies. A light like that of fairies were covering parts of the enemies body, as if highlighting their weakpoints. Alex then gives a bow,"A simple thank you to your bard is all I need, gentlemen."

Last edited by Onward; Sep 26th, 2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 09:38 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11157
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Ohh Rappan Athuk, yer siren's dirge is a call stronger than any person can ignore...

Quick question, archetype restrictions or is all wizards printed material on the table?
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 10:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MundayKnight View Post
Ohh Rappan Athuk, yer siren's dirge is a call stronger than any person can ignore...

Quick question, archetype restrictions or is all wizards printed material on the table?
All WotC official wizard subclasses are on the table including Chronomancy.