RPXP: 2086
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Arlotto
Race: Variant Human
Class: Rogue (Assassin)
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Personality traits: I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions
control me. When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.
Ideal: I trust that my religious leader will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well.
Bond: My loyalty to my sovereign is unwavering.
Flaw: I put too much trust in those who wield power within my temple's hierarchy.
Description: Tall and thin, Arlotto generally maintains a detached expression. He generally dresses in dark, muted clothing that is well-maintained and sensible, allowing plenty of room to move. His movements are cautious and deliberate, the movements of someone accustomed to maintaining control over himself. His eyes are those of a shark; dead, expressionless, dark mirrors that let nothing in. Yet, at times, they gleam with a fervor born of fanaticism that can be even more unsettling.
Personality: Arlotto serves the Pope absolutely. He never questions missions, never waivers in his faith. He sees himself as a holy crusader, serving his pope and his god with absolute faith. When the order comes that someone must die, they die...no mercy, no exceptions. After all, if the order comes from the pope, and thus from god, the cause must be just. Arlotto is simply a servant, willingly submitting his life for the cause.
Backstory: Arlotto used to be no better than most of the criminal scum out there, a petty thief clawing for table scraps and fouling his soul for a few coppers. When he was caught trying to rob a church, he thought he was headed straight to the dungeons, perhaps missing a hand or even being killed. Instead, an ambitious priest saw undeveloped talent in the young Arlotto and took him in. Teaching him the holy doctrine, Arlotto learned the ways of the church and developed a true sense of purpose. Instead of scratching and wallowing his way through life, he could become an instrument of the gods! The church gave him purpose and hope, and he devoted his life to the cause willingly. The day he was fully accepted into the ranks of special operatives, he was presented with a Dagger of Venom. He uses this dagger on his assassination targets rather than in combat.
Specialty item: Dagger of Venom - You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. You can use an action to cause thick, black poison to coat the blade. The poison remains for 1 minute or until an attack using this weapon hits a creature. That creature must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or take 2d10 poison damage and become poisoned for 1 minute. The dagger can't be used this way again until the next dawn.

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Liam "Madhouse" Holt - Solo, Cyberpunk 2020

Last edited by Andor; Oct 11th, 2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 290
TheYell TheYell TheYell
a LE hexblade who hates insanity, a LE rogue religious fanatic, a TN Ur-Priest, a mad NE warlock....sounds like an MTV reality show

Alkwin: OK Whose been at my coffee again?
Andor: I swear upon Blessed Mother Church it was not I. (signs himself)
The Boy: Do you even have to ask? Only one of us is a crazy crook. (spits)
Xanapal: (telepathically) Ok, assuming you could prove--
Alkwin: Dammit, hands off my stuff!

Last edited by TheYell; Oct 7th, 2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 02:58 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5147
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
This week, on Party Down South...
Icereach#8108 | Gost, a campaign setting | The House of Ejlvajn, a module compilation
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 03:17 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21764
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
a LE hexblade who hates insanity, a LE rogue religious fanatic, a TN Ur-Priest, a mad NE warlock....sounds like an MTV reality show

Alkwin: OK Whose been at my coffee again?
Andor: I swear upon Blessed Mother Church it was not I. (signs himself)
The Boy: Do you even have to ask? Only one of us is a crazy crook. (spits)
Xanapal: (telepathically) Ok, assuming you could prove--
Alkwin: Dammit, hands off my stuff!
If Alkwin ends up anything like his player in this regard, yes - touch his coffee and you can expect murder to follow. Seems fair to me.

Also amused how we're basically teaming up a Dan Brown-esque Vatican Assassin and Martin Luthor. :P
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 03:47 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11157
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Arkash the Butcher
Race: Lizardfolk
Class: Circle of the Shepherd Druid
Alignment: True Neutral
Personality traits: If you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name, and salt your fields
Ideal: If I become strong, I can take what I want--what I deserve.
Bond: My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.
Flaw: I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.
Description: The golden fringe cresting Arkash's head peaks well over seven feet when fully extended but from sole to crown he stands just under six feet in height. Green, gold, and brown scales break up his hide to give him natural camouflage in a surprisingly wide array of circumstances which helps offset his naturally massive frame. Arkash has the shoulder's of a blacksmith and his deep voice tends to resonate in the area around him. While most would never notice it the lizard-man takes on the smell of the environment around him, fastidiously crafting soaps wherever he goes and finding the smells of "civilized" people to be painfully out of touch with the world around them.
Personality: There is only survival and growth, anything that does not aid in these goals is pointless. It is this simple view of reality that defines all of Arkash's actions and has led him to being an unrivaled asset to the Esgarn Empire. While some would find his behavior entirely alien, among the lizardfolk and others with less of the sentimental nature of human and elf Arkash is seen as imminently practical and efficient. In his time among the special operations teams of the Esgarn military he has earned a great deal of respect for his efficient presentations for even the most complex of plans and that respect has ballooned ever further with each successful execution. Where most would take pride in such achievements Arkash does not care about his past accomplishments, always looking to the next mission to serve his emperor and his tribe.
Backstory:
Interview with a monster.The hot and arid room that Arkash's cell dangled in had been dark and silent since the daily meal and he had expected it to remain that way until the next meal was brought but his now months long routine was broken by a waifish human woman with a stern gaze entered with a torch forcing the darkness back to the corners, a dozen rats scattering from the sudden intrusion. Another pair of guards entered behind the woman and brought in a small desk and a chair for the woman to sit upon as she put the torch in a holder and withdrew paper, quill, sand, and ink from the desk. "Hello Arkash. My name is Malia and I will be conducting the first round of interviews for you. I expect for the Butcher of Badhen Mot to have much to say but I do request you remain somewhat succinct in your answers." The lizardfolk simply nodded his head in answer, his body lying languidly in his lofted cage. "Now I want you to tell me about your most recent slaughter in the town of Boryt. How did you arrive?" "I walked in on all fours like a rat. However I must object to your language, I am no butcher. I am a soldier." "Soldiers don't slaughter entire towns." "Correction, your soldiers do not but let's not pretend it is for moral reasons. You simply dont have anyone capable enough. Though the Empire doesnt have towns where ten or more percent of our armies officers come from so we don't have as prime of targets." "How dare you you..."

Arkash took a deep breath so loud it cut the interrogator off. "Tut tut tut. Ohhh Malia say it isn't so? You didn't tell your superiors that your family lived in Badhen Mot did you? That perfume is unmistakable!" The interrogator looked taken aback for but a moment before her face returned to unyielding stone. "You can't possibly know that. Now as I was..." "You are partly right, I couldn't have before your little outburst but your reaction to my claim proves it. You should know none of the villagers were killed by my hand. Even in the most recent assault on Boryt I never raised my hand against anyone." "A dozen knights died in the sewers coming to pull you from your hole." "They were fools who wore full plate in a place where water regularly gets over eight feet. I cant stop the denizens of such a place from taking an easy snack. Anyways I was trying to get captured, had you sent a lone representative I would have come willingly." "Why would the Emperor's pet monster try to be captured? We found the missives with your hiding spot..." "Precisely. Odd you found them in Boryt and nowhere else yes? The Emperor wanted me captured and I wanted to be captured. My time at war is over." "And yet your time in Hell has just begun."

The lizardfolk let your a laugh from deep in his chest that sent his frill to shaking. "You think this is uncomfortable? Other than not being able to have my staff this is the greatest comfort I've had in decades. Even that I merely want for sentimental reasons. I get fed daily, I dont have to scavenge or hunt for anything, and I have so many rats in my cell I don't have to worry about the silence getting to me. I could live here for the rest of my life and be truly content." Malia wrote in her neat script something Arkash could not see before returning her eyes to his, the rage hidden in the orbs near completely but now that he knew where to look he spotted it nonetheless. "Yes we were curious about that staff. Where did you get it?" "I merely went into the forest and found the greatest tree I could find then sat at its base for a few months. Every day I would ask that tree to be my friend and every day it ignored me. Finally as the winter was felt in full I woke up one morning and where the tree had been was that staff. Since then it has been my closest friend." "Your best friend? A tree is your best friend?" "Yes but don't let the ravens know, they would feel slighted." "You truly are insane aren't you? Is that why the Emperor had you get captured?" "I am as same as anyone else little interviewer. I just listen to the world around me a little bit closer." "Well with that rambling madness we are done here. Congratulations I am going to refer you to the Hammer. Die in excruciating agony for me if you would."

Specialty item: Staff of the Woodlands.

Last edited by MundayKnight; Oct 14th, 2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 04:52 PM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2086
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GleefulNihilism View Post
If Alkwin ends up anything like his player in this regard, yes - touch his coffee and you can expect murder to follow. Seems fair to me.
Arlotto would accept this contract as righteous and just. Coffee is sacred.

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Liam "Madhouse" Holt - Solo, Cyberpunk 2020
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4716
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770
Hey Togot! Nice to see you again!

Is this ad closed or can I still apply? If it's the latter, how much time do I have (didn't see a deadline in the ad details)?

I have a concept in mind but would need to tweak it a bit to fit your campaign setting and approved sources.

I could have it up by the end of the weekend if the ad is still up. Please let me know
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 07:04 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6378
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
The deadline is the 15th so you have plenty of time
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 09:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4253
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
a motley crew we have weaved...
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 11:00 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheYell TheYell TheYell
It's shaping up to be interesting!

Question about Word of Radiance cantrip. Has a range of 5 feet, says you can burn people in range of your choice that you could see with radiant damage. Does that mean it has a cone of effect with the forward arc, and I can't burn people behind me?

edited App so Xanapal will carry "an ivory dagger with a magic ruby on the pommel" instead of a rapier. More like a crysknife...

Last edited by TheYell; Oct 8th, 2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 12:20 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1797
cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina
Good question. I imagine all these spells sort of give a caster space to turn his or her head and shoulders to see all around them, don't you think? That might be what it means written like, "in range of your choice." Like Thunderwave, Burning hands, and a whole bunch of other spells, players get to pick which direction their spell goes off - in front of you, to the side of you, behind you whenever I play using the grid. But, let's hear from DM.

Right now I am in my own spell choice/planning dilemna. A future spell option is Shadow Blade, but I am trying to figure out how to control the environment to be dim light. That's very important for the spell. So, I would only really want to use it in dim light conditions. That means Control Flames. OK. And, then just cross fingers we are inside and the light source is flames. But then later I might want Fire Shield. It's one of the best spell choice in the limited options that this subclass gets. Tho wait. That gives off bright light, so I have just taken advantage away from myself with that combo. Like you, I am reading each spell and making sure I know exactly how they can be used and exactly what limitations I can anticipate if I choose them. Can I use Control Flames on my Fire Shield light? Just how many rounds is that going to take to set up? Would that be worth it? Spells are tricky!

Last edited by cappucina; Oct 8th, 2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 12:27 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6378
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
as long as your capable of turning to look at them then it shouldn't be a problem
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 12:36 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheYell TheYell TheYell
thanks, I guess it rules out the invisible.

@ cappucina

Looking at Control Flames, it targets "nonmagical" flame. But we're working with a DM who uses homebrew, maybe homebrew a version of FireShield that emits only dim light to 10 feet?

I'm using Shadow Blade myself, just realized. Maybe I should take Control Flames as one of my cantrips...fits with my general theme of flame control too.

Last edited by TheYell; Oct 8th, 2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 12:48 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1797
cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina
Well only one of us need to dim the lights if we play together. But, yeah, we should both be able to try to control that. I was thinking maybe I could cast light on part of my shield, but then have a special cover I slide over it that only lets out the light in such a way as it is dim. Like, toss a cloth over it? Lol. Or, Like a socket at the center of the shield, but it has a metal grate over it, and there's this light source but only pins of light come out. But, it would be a little pin prick pattern, like a moroccan lantern or sconce. I'm also not sold on Shadow Blade as I can can't really upcast it too much as a 1/3 caster. And, then if I just have a regular weapon and not a shadow blade, maybe there is something else that I can concentrate on that would be really good to have and I wouldn't really miss it. Battlefield control or some mental protection but a little less damage.

Here's another question. Does it make sense to have a longbow AND a crossbow? Like, longbow for the really distant shots only is what I was thinking, then switch to crossbow for closer quarters.

Edited to add: no pressure on Togot. I like this character so much I think I am going to play it in a game that starts in a couple of weeks (in person - online) only she will be a mountain dwarf as the DM gives out a free feat at level 1...but you can't have 2 feats. That's why I am thinking about the spells and progression so carefully.

----

I also cannot figure out her alignment for this game. She was lawful and good, when it suited her. But, when it didn't, she sort flipped chaotic. So, Chaotic Neutral at the moment. That's what the alignment test says anyway.

This always helps me out:

http://easydamus.com/alignment.html

Last edited by cappucina; Oct 8th, 2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 01:41 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheYell TheYell TheYell
@ Togot

NVM its clunky.

Last edited by TheYell; Oct 9th, 2021 at 07:20 AM.