Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Storyminder Storyminder Storyminder Storyminder
The Transylvania Chronicles

Name
The Transylvania Chronicles

Edition/SettingVampire the Dark Ages, 20th Anniversary Edition, 12th Century Transylvania

The Invitation
It is in the early Autumn of the Year of Our Lord 1196 when a slow moving caravan makes its way toward your haven, a collection of humans, horses, and wagons clearly struggling to make their way forward on the muddy road, a thankless reminder of the last two weeks’ near-constant foul weather.

In the lead is a man, tall and gaunt, who waves the gathering to a halt as it nears. A second individual, cloaked against the night, rides forward, passing a handful of pedestrians, before lowering the hood. You immediately recognize one of your sire’s servants. The two men look at one another, and the servant nods before turning back to you. “My lord,” he calls out, fishing n envelope from the folds of his clothing. “I bring tidings and good wishes from my master.”

Upon accepting the caravan into your home and discovering – perhaps to your chagrin – that your sire has offered your hospitality, you are handed a piece of parchment sealed with your sire’s signet. ”My lord bids me await your answer.”

The letter reads:

My childe,
It is my wish that you join me close by the stocks in the Castle District of Buda-Pest in the tenth hour of the evening of the fifteenth day of April, the Year of Our Lord 1198. There, you shall be introduced to an ally of mine who wishes to become your patron. Your future might be assured should you agree to this patron’s offer. Further, it would please me greatly for you to accept as I have already accepted for you, pending your agreement. Do not fail me, but come at once. The bearer of this letter is a trusted servant and will arrange transportation for you.
-Your Sire

Accompanying this is a second, carefully folded note sealed with an unfamiliar symbol. This second letter reads:

Though I am unacquainted with you, I feel that we share a bond through your sire, who is my ally. As you are the dutiful childe of your sire, I request that you meet with me at the market square near the stocks in the Castle District of Buda-Pest on the fifteenth day of April of this year at the tenth hour of the night. I would like to put before you a proposition that may lead to great gains for you and closer alliances between us. If you wish to hear more, attend me on the date specified.
I hope to become,
Your Patron

ApplicationsI'm going to be giving slight preference for new players, but if you've got experience with the game don't let that stop you from putting in an application. It's the sort of preference that can easily be overcome by some quality concept work.
Additionally, remember that this is a Vampire game, not D&D. Don’t fall into the trap of “we need a thief!” Make a character that you’ll be interested in playing for an extended period of time. To paraphrase Homer Simpson’s life coach, you create your character – I’ll make it work.
Applications should ideally follow this format or something similar:
FormatCharacter Name:
Clan: (All core clans, Giovani and the Salubri are accepted; beware that some might have more difficulties than others. I will also accept one member of a bloodline (above and beyond the Giovani and the Salubri.)
Physical Description: (What do you look like? Images are appreciated)
Personality: (Likes, dislikes, how you act around others, stuff like that)
Background: (While I appreciate this being as detailed as you can make it, I would also appreciate you hiding it in a spoiler text and proving a summarized version, no more than a paragraph or two, visible to the public.)
Experience: (How much VtM have you played? How familiar are you with the 20th Anniversary Edition?)
Other: (Anything you want me to know that isn't covered by the other stuff)

You don't have to build a character sheet until after you are accepted into the game. If you do decide to get started on your character sheet in advance, it's standard DAV20 character generation. No Background may be above 2, and characters may not have the Domain background at game start.

The GM, and what to expectIt’s been a few years since I last served as Storyteller. That said, I love the World of Darkness with a passion I usually reserve for pizza and butter cookies. I prefer to keep to the metaplot, but I’m not above… finagling, particularly when PCs are involved.

This game is based on The Transylvania Chronicles, first published in 1998. As a Chronicle of Ages, characters should be able to get along with others – or at least be willing to work with them – rather than constantly back-biting. As a result, early adventures will focus on building the strength of the group. Players will also be given the opportunity to ‘blue book’ for additional experience.

Please keep in mind the rules of this website and fade to black when appropriate so I am not required to answer awkward questions when the mods come calling.

Game DetailsPosting Frequency: Ideally at least once a week, but up to three times per week. I will be doing my level best to leave no players behind, so I may intervene to slow you down a bit if you start running away with inter-character dialogue.
Length: This is a Chronicle of Ages, so… ages? When it ends, it ends. It would be nice to get through the entirety of the chronicle, but around a table it can take upwards of years, so… we’ll see.
Sourcebooks: Any that you can get your hands on, I've got them all. Preference is given to DAV20 books, and Storyteller’s word is final (but I’m pretty open).
Transylvania: Here is a map of the Siebenburgen, the Seven Cities of Transylvania. Feel free to review at your leisure, but if you don't want to, no pressure.

Deadline
Saturday, 16 October 2021 at Matins (Which is to say, before I wake up Saturday morning. :0)

Last edited by Storyminder; Oct 11th, 2021 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added the deadline for characters.
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 09:32 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39892
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Haven't read the 20th Anniversary of Dark Ages core book, but ran a lengthy campaign using the original. Any idea if there are many changes in clans or mechanics between the editions?
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 02:58 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7381
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
WIP Application
right-aligned image
Character Name: Walter

Clan: Tremere

Physical Description: As a warrior-poet and a scholar, Walter has a lean and healthy-looking physique, but isn't particularly impressive because of muscle. Instead, it is the intensity of his gaze that proves to be his most striking feature. He dresses in clean and practical clothing, obviously having accrued enough wealth to afford good quality shoes and jackets. He's always seen carrying around a simple palm-sized book that he occasionally makes marks in with a charcoal stick. His fingertips and underside of his nails have black dust impacted in them. He bears himself with a sense of dignity, and speaks in a precise, intellectual fashion. When turned, he had a beard and long hair, which he now keeps pulled back and out of the way of his face while he works, studies, or performs the blood magic the Tremere are most known for.

Personality: Walter is a scholar first, and a defender second. He always looks for a smart solution to a problem, but he uniquely understands that a bit of applied violence can make for an effective shortcut. As far as his humanity is concerned, Walter was presented with a clear choice to discard it (and his mortality) in the pursuit of greater knowledge, and he willingly accepted. He will do what he can to hold onto that feeling of being human, but he was willing to sacrifice it in the pursuit of secrets before...

Background: Once a member of a family associated with the church, Walter was a bookbinder; someone who assembled books for the transcription of their holy texts, as well as numerous other texts from philosophers and scholars who would pay for their services. As a young man, he fought off some thieves who had intended on stealing some of the more ornate and valuable books he was working on, which inadvertently caught the attention of the Tremere who had sent them to retrieve them. Over the next decade, the Tremere chantry kept an eye on him, evaluating his personality and potential value to the clan. It proved worthwhile, for not only did Walter do his job well, he also used the position he had to learn all manner of things from the books he read along the way. At 25, Walter was given an offer: Sacrifice his humanity, and gain forbidden knowledge. That was the moment that Walter was distilled down into his true essence.

Experience: (Unfortunately?) I've got loads of experience playing VtM, and the 20th anniversary editions, but not the dark ages.

Other: I intend on focusing on intellectual stuff with some fighting ability as my secondary focus, and social would be the field he's weakest at. I don't normally play a Tremere, but I saw that they recruit warriors as well as scholars and thought 'why not both?'. As someone who works with nobles, scholars, and the rich, Walter isn't a simple peasant, but neither is he someone of high status; he occupies a social middle ground that lets him move between both more easily. Also, I am fine with researching things in the 1100-1200 period, but I might not be thorough and so I apologize for any anachronisms that may result. I DID check on the history of the Tremere, and the clan's been around for only a few decades by this point so Walter would be an 'early adopter' of the clan's methods and abilities, actively working on improving Tremere's discipline as well as discovering new uses of blood magic.

Last edited by Runetide; Oct 9th, 2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 08:44 AM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1128
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
I would very much like to be a vampire knight but I'm already over my budget for game books, Is it still playable without the book?

Edit: I was looking around elsewhere and found Vampire the Masquerade v20 5ed, is that at least a start or a whole other game?

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Oct 9th, 2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 09:53 AM
Modron Manager

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4477
Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan
Interesting.

Posting tentative interest.
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevonian View Post
Haven't read the 20th Anniversary of Dark Ages core book, but ran a lengthy campaign using the original. Any idea if there are many changes in clans or mechanics between the editions?
Not many, and they're mostly subtle. I'm more than happy to help if you get in.
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 11:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Hammerhand View Post
I would very much like to be a vampire knight but I'm already over my budget for game books, Is it still playable without the book?

Edit: I was looking around elsewhere and found Vampire the Masquerade v20 5ed, is that at least a start or a whole other game?
V20 is basically a new-and-improved version of the OG game. V5 is... related, tangentially. That said, I'm happy to help you get started if you have a good concept and are approved.
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 12:43 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
I believe my application is complete, but please, let me know if there's any feedback!
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 01:50 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
I am sorry but I need a little more detail so my character can suit the times and setting.
-What level of power are we looking at here? Lords of land with servants, castle, armies?
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 01:55 PM
Black Lives Matter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3762
slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick
This is tempting. Dark Ages Vampire was the first TTRPG I ever played, but I would need to do some major refreshing, so we'll see if I have time to reignite those neural pathways. But since you're welcoming new players, maybe that's a good thing? Either way, it's very cool to see some World of Darkness on here!

Last edited by slapstick; Oct 9th, 2021 at 02:45 PM.
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 02:02 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I am sorry but I need a little more detail so my character can suit the times and setting.
-What level of power are we looking at here? Lords of land with servants, castle, armies?
With the limitation max 2 points in a background, I would assume not. But I could be wrong!

Last edited by Runetide; Oct 9th, 2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 02:27 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
With the limitation max 2 points in a background, I would assume not. But I could be wrong!
So, more like vampires that live under the watchful eye of their sire, sharing their hunting ground and just surviving day-to-day?
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Rune is correct: you begin are largely inexperienced Cainites. You may have as much as a century under your belt, but in terms of age, you're still but a babe. That said, you will be offered an opportunity of domain (pretty much straight out the gate), the chance to increase the size of that domain, and, well... power. What more could a Cainite want?

Last edited by Storyminder; Oct 9th, 2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 03:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapstick View Post
This is tempting. Dark Ages Vampire was the first TTRPG I ever played, but I would need to do some major refreshing, so we'll see if I have time to reignite those neural pathways. But since you're welcoming new players, maybe that's a good thing? Either way, it's very cool to see some World of Darkness on here!
I'm definitely happy to help you refresh the old grey matter.
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 03:14 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Oct 14th, 2021 at 10:13 AM.