DnD4e Cursed Rings - Open Recruitment Thread - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Oct 11th, 2021, 08:07 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1745
Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus
Cursed Rings - Open Recruitment Thread

SUBMISSIONS ARE ALWAYS OPEN

Game NameCursed Rings

SystemD&D 4E

from Player's Strategy Guide
ThemeFast Play & Tactical Combat - a.k.a. "bada boom! bada bing!"

FlavorOld School D&D - when players went to dungeons just because they were there; to kick doors, magical items... Instead of asking if that would help them answer their narrative calling

Plot SummaryAll of you have cursed rings, they are impossible to remove (but they don't take up a ring slot). The rings are attracted to other rings and like to be in groups of five. The rings force the wearer to accept any ring-wearer as a trusted friend. A ring-wearer might vanish at any time and never return. Likewise, another ring-wearer might appear suddenly. It is just a normal thing you would have to plan for.

I shamelessly stole this idea from @Still_Pond. Thanks buddy!

Game PlanI want to play tactical combat in 4E. And none of you are running it. So I have to do it. Figures...

This isn't just random encounters game. I will always run a published adventure. We will start with: Reavers of Harkenwold
1. I want to spend a minimum amount of time preparing adventures, posts, etc. I'll use the adventure text as much as possible.
2. If we finish one adventure, we'll start another.
3. Whenever a player vanishes, another one will take its place. Hence the cursed rings. That's their sole purpose. Not necessarily a narrative thing, but a mere PbP required technical device.
4. I don't see any trouble with the "role-playing" aspect of this method, because the only thing we need to role-play is intention. Types of encounters, systems, editions (all things that we used to fight over on the internet when we were "young") do not dictate what kind of game we play. Example1 & Example2.

Mechanics# of Players Accepted: 5 NA
Application Deadline: I am not sure there will be a lot of applications for a 4E game. But just for my ad to be proper: "October 25th, 2021" or "10 Completed Applications" whichever happens first. Submissions are always open. If you are interested, just post.

Character GenerationNot Accepted Stuff: If I can build your character in Character builder, you are fine. This means except 3rd party material, all is accepted.
Starting Level: Level 2
Character generation:
Stats: To determine ability scores, please use method 1 (standard array (16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10))
Money:125 gp + 1 piece of magical item (up to Level 2)
Alignment: We will be using regular alignment system (9 grid). No evil. No lone wolf. No edgelord.

ApplicationPlease only one application with the below specifications.
1.General Info about the player
a.Your RPG Experience:
b.Your expectation for this game:

2.Most important question
a.Convince me that you will not drop in the middle of the game:

3.Character Info
a.Character Name:
b.Picture:
c.Race & Class:
d.SHORT Character Story:
e.Personality & Apperance: Optional
f.Character Sheet:

Last edited by Duxus; Oct 25th, 2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 08:11 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Applicant List
Last Update: 20.10.2021

# Player Character Race Class Role Charater Sheet Application Status Application Post
1 Ericg1s Jack Green Elf Rogue Striker Link Finished Link
2 Ysolde Joy Halfling Bard Leader Link Finished Link
3 kanly Mavelo Pixie Bladesinger Arcane Controller Link Finished Link
4 PalladiaMors Koanna Stonehoof Minotaur Battlerager fighter Martial Defender Link Finished Link
5 AximusLokar Rocha Xan Human Hybrid Swordmage(Shielding) / Artificer Arcane Defender / Leader Link Finished Link
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions and Answers

Q.Is some kind of source materialthis allowed in character creation?
A.If I can build your character in Character builder, you are fine. This means except 3rd party material, all is accepted.

Last edited by Duxus; Oct 25th, 2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 04:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2575
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
What, if any, 3rd-party material would be allowed?
What, if any, math fixes or playability fixes would exist?
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 02:41 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I think I kinda gave hints about the answers

No 3rd-party material.
As I read math fixes are relevant in higher tiers, so we will see about them in the future when required. So, currently no.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 04:59 PM
Cybergothic Celestial

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15273
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
I don't really understand the objections people have of 4th edition; I always liked it.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 07:38 PM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13936
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
Likewise. My experience has been that most people that dislike it have had little to no time playing it and are going on surface impressions (or the Group Think of '4e is bad lol'). I'll never say people can't dislike it, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the sheer vitriol the system gets is amazing.

That said, WotC's business model for it was hot garbage. Though that's the kind of complain that people that like the system tend to have, so not really a factor.

I'd be interested in this. I'm gonna hold off a couple of days to see what other roles people are interested in and make something to cover a less populated one, since I enjoy all of the roles. I see no Hybrid so my Aegis Magus (Swordmage/Wizard; Aegis of Shielding focused) is out
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 11:43 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16569
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
I enjoyed 4e, though it broke down at higher levels and things could get absurdly busted. And low levels were just mind-numbingly dull because you had so few options. "I use my at will... I use my at will... I don't use my daily because I'm holding that for the last fight... I use my encounter... I miss... I use my at will..." over and over ad nauseam. I'll have to dig through my old 4e material and refresh myself as to the system but may try to come up with something.
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 02:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I don't see how it differs from any other edition, where "I swing my sword" round after round. But it really doesn't matter at all in the end

I can't wait to see your characters hopefully
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 07:59 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2575
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
a.Your RPG Experience: I have played 4th ED D&D some, but not recently.
b.Your expectation for this game: I expect that some method will be used to allow a balanced party.
I expect that once the PC and monster levels get high enough, math fixes will be discussed.

a.Convince me that you will not drop in the middle of the game: I don't know why people disappear. In one case, it was because the person was in the hospital. Unless you suddenly lost all internet access without warning, you should be able to tell people that you are dropping. That said, in the past (but not recently) I have lost internet myself.

3.Character Info
a.Character Name: Jack Green
b.Picture: I hate looking for character art.
c.Race & Class: Elf Rogue
d.SHORT Character Story: My childhood is rather dull, but there are three moments that stand out. The first was learning the story of the first Jack of Green, who lured giants into deadly traps. The second was when I graduated (barely) from the academy. The third was the discovery of a large iron ring on a chain, which I wear around my neck. This ring compels me to be the next Jack of Green, changing my name and my nature.
Appearance: Tall and thin, with bright green eyes and long finders. His facial features are sharp and angular. Skin was slightly pale, but is tanning a bit as he travels.
f.Character Sheet: http://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=89590

Last edited by Ericg1s; Oct 22nd, 2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 06:35 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hey @Ericg1s, we played together in the short-lived 4E game "the slaying stone".
Thank you for the application. Truth be told as far as applications go, I am expecting something slightly more rotund.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 08:38 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16569
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Thought I'd throw in a link to this video that details how to get the old 4e character builder, a very useful tool to have while going through old, forgotten 4e character options.
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 05:16 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
OMG!!! That is huge! I can't believe it. Huge thanks to you and the youtube person!

This might change my accepted books limitations
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 08:30 AM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13936
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
Let me know if you do. There's a ton of useful supplemental material in the dragon magazines, like the multiclass feat lines for several classes.

In the meantime I'm puttering around with various ideas. Was hoping to give others first crack at preferred roles but if I dont see others soon I'll probably finish developing one of them and put it up.
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 02:30 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16460
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
a.Your RPG Experience: Lots with many other systems almost zero with 4E
b.Your expectation for this game: It will last for a good while.

a.Convince me that you will not drop in the middle of the game: The ever present worry of DMs and players alike. Will this game fail because all the players dropped or the DM suffered existence failure? I've been around here for a good long while with, I think, only two real drop outs and both basically due to the same issue e.g., illness and I did let folks know I was departing beforehand.

a.Character Name: Joy

c.Race & Class: Halfling Bard
d.SHORT Character Story: Joy is the person who always has a smile on her face. She was born with nearly golden irises, a blessing perhaps? She's the one who goes places because, as she would say, "They are fun!". Her family owns a tavern and she sung there as a young woman. Then a group came in and talked all about their adventures. She listened in and followed them out the door when they left. Ever since she's been traveling and enjoying herself.
e.Personality & Apperance: Golden blonde hair, blue eyes, a smile on her face. Joy is rather well defined by her name and it is a very rare occasion that she won't like something or somebody.
f.Character Sheet: Link

Last edited by Ysolde; Oct 19th, 2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 03:25 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5940
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
WIPMavelo the Magnificent and his Dauntless Displacer Beast Daffodil

a.Your RPG Experience: I have had a wide and varied gaming experience. I am no stranger to D&D of just about any addition from Red box I didn't quite make it for the original set, but really, this is about as close as most folks getBasic D&D to 5e, a variety of Palladium titles, the World of Darkness in all it's myriad forms, a number of Many of them right here on the crossingPbtA games, Hard to do on the portal since the main decision arbitrator is a jenga towerDread, Traveler, Star Wars, Path and Starfinder, Paranoia, A Song of Ice and Fire, Mutants and Masterminds. Sometimes it seems like the only thing that stays in my head are various RPG systems much to the consternation of my spouse and children
b.Your expectation for this game: I hope this will be a chance to explore your world a bit as well as make our way through some of the 4e adventures that I My home GM was all about home brew, so we never did most of the mainstream stuff.never got a chance to play.

a.Convince me that you will not drop in the middle of the game: I am a tenacious player who sticks through thick and thin. Occasionally, I have had to take a short break due to massive changes to my work schedule or extended vacation to remote location, but I always try to give plenty of forewarning when I can or at least notice in the moment.

3.Character Info
a.Character Name: Mavelo the Magnificent
b.Picture: Mavelo the Magnificent and his Dauntless Displacer Beast Daffodil
c.Race & Class: Pixie Bladesinger
d.SHORT Character Story: Marvelo grew up one of many children in a large nest of pixies deep in a mostly wild stretch of forest and probably would have stayed there if not for a chance encounter. Condar's Caravan of Curiosities was a mostly human carnival that traveled the width and breadth of the land. They had an engagement on one side of the forest just following another on the other and decided that rather then go around, going through would be easier and give them a few free days before the next show. That of course was not the case. Marvelo and his people pranked and tricked the humans mercilessly, slowing their progress to a crawl. Rather than give into the frustration, Condar humored the Pixies and even decided to give them a show. Marvelo was enraptured, and when the caravan left, it was with one very small but potent addition. Marvelo served as Condar's apprentice for several years, and so when the old man eventually As these short lived humans are want to do.passed away he left Marvelo two things: his sword and a magical ring which bore the inscription "May you live in interesting times".
e.Personality & Apperance: Mavelo is Coming in at a full foot in height.tall for his race with golden blonde hair, pale blue eyes the color of a clear winter sky and iridescent dragonfly like wings. Marvelo is full of enough bravado, swagger and showmanship for a man many times his size. He is also supremely confident in his skill with a blade and willing to take on any challengers, no matter their size.
f.Character Sheet:Link

Last edited by kanly; Oct 19th, 2021 at 12:01 AM.