RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Oct 11th, 2021, 01:01 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 882
Rune Knight Rune Knight Rune Knight Rune Knight Rune Knight Rune Knight Rune Knight
Dark Messiah

Game NameDark Messiah
Game SystemFATE
ThemeAntihero(?), Rising Threat, Worldbuilding
FlavourViolence; Blood and Gore; Existentialism; You Are The Bad Guy (Mostly); Mature, But NOT Adult
Plot Summary
RPG SystemFate Core

SettingHomebrew Fantasy

Premise
Deep, deep in the wilderness, hidden away from prying eyes, a ritual takes place in the dead of night. Nestled in a gloomy, misty forest, a neat circle of cultists surround an intricate and bloody runic circle; this spell has been years - decades - in the making, and the way they chant in synchronous and sway to the beat of a dolorous tune that only they can hear shows it.

This performance, this worship to the forces of evil has begun to reach a crescendo, witches and warlocks alike locked in a heated battle of will and perseverance as the power of the Veil begins to channel stronger than it ever has before, pouring through them like a great river through a simple siev and wracking them in a presence they can barely contain.

The wind begins to stir, and then to gale, announcing the presence of an unspeakable entity. An alien voice - made only of pain, and suffering, and nightmares, a chorus of screaming and anguish that can only be understood by a very few - shakes the very air around this clandestine meeting place to its very core.

"Rise, dark one, rise. You are but a drop from the ocean of my malcontent;
You are the Beginning of the End of the mortal race;
You… are the Avatar of the Dark God!"

One by one, the servants of this incarnation of evil fall, unable to even bear witness to just a taste of It's malfeasance. Only the strongest amongst them are able to hold on, finally finishing the culmination of many years time and many powerful artifacts brought to bear in sacrifice to this act of unholy creation.

The unholy creation… of you.

Welcome, friends. I had begun working in earnest recently on a homebrew fantasy world that I call Aelladore, and I realized one day that I really needed to flesh out the primary antagonist of the world itself: the Dark God.

To achieve this end, I will be hosting a solo, maybe duo campaign campaign with a party of "1+"; what do I mean by this? We will have a "main character" of the campaign, which the story will almost entirely focus on, but anyone who wishes to join as a significant side character with the potential of a Scenario or two focusing on them can apply as well. I have a premise for one of these characters, if you would like to see it, located in the "Optional Information" button near the end of this advertisement, but virtually any concept is welcomed as long as it fits the theme of the campaign.

We will work together to figure out the limits of this concept and really play around with it. Thus, your character will be the Avatar of the Dark God, a soul imbued with just a fraction of It's essence and power; essentially, a demigod. Allow me to elaborate on the Dark God as an entity.

As you may be able to tell, the Dark God is not your standard god of evil; it has a very strange relationship with the forces of good and evil - usually adversarial to all, but sometimes joining together in an "enemy of my enemy" kind of fashion.

The campaign will begin with a focus on the many hands of the Dark God: demons. You see, demons are not simply servants, but family, and as a fledgling Prince/ess of Darkness, it will be your task to check up on a few of them who have not managed to "report in" in some time. The overarching plot will also revolve around seeking out some sort of McGuffin of Total Universal Annihilation, but I'm thinking of introducing a new faction at the end of the first or second Arc, which will require all of the attention of the Avatar of the Dark God, and which will force them to encounter the forces of good in any number of ways as well.

Finally, I would like to incorporate a rather significant NPC companion who will act as a partner in crime and a foil for dramatic moments. This person is one of, if not the most devoted member of the cult of the Dark God; someone who probably understands and empathizes with It and the way It thinks even more than the Prince/ess of Darkness does. I have provided a little introduction below so that you can get a sense of what I'm going for.

I've built her out to be a sort of tank/support with decent Fight, so she should be able to hold her own in a fight and accentuate your abilities.

As alluded to in the themes, I would prefer to find a fellow avid worldbuilder; someone who likes to brainstorm and bounce ideas off of one another, with the aim of creating the most interesting and dynamic places, people, and lore.

A few last notes:
  • I'm increasing the starting skill cap of this campaign the Avatar of the Dark God to +5 to emphasize that "demigod" type of feel, as well as increasing starting Fate/Refresh to 4
  • This means that all other characters will have the standard skill cap of +4 and Fate/Refresh of 3.
  • I have an "Optional Information" button down below, in case you want to read more about the world - which, I will repeat, is optional - or you've gotten this far and aren't interested in being the Prince/ess of Darkness.
  • Applicants who wish to be a companion in the Avatar of the Dark God's party are highly advised to check out the world information link, and to at least read the "Introduction", "Player Options", and "Extras" sections.
  • The deadline for applications is October the 25th (about 2 weeks from the posting of this advertisement); I withhold the right to end it early if someone's app really grabs me, but in truth I'll probably wait until the last minute for any number of reasons.
I have provided application templates below; you can directly copy and paste either, rather than having to quote this message. Additionally, if there are any other tidbits about yourself you'd like to share as part of your application, feel free to do so; the more I know about you (in ways relevant to this game), the better.

Frequently Asked Questions:
  • "How much do I need to know about Fate? Is it alright if I'm a newbie?" It is perfectly alright for you to be new to Fate, and it is always a pleasure to show new players the elegance of this system; be my guest.
  • "What exactly does an 'Avatar of the Dark God' look like?" Anything you want! Well, anything preferably humanoid, at least. The creations of the Dark God come in many forms, so as long as it seems demonic in some capacity, it should be good. If you need a visual guide of some kind, then this image is what inspired me, personally.
  • "Is the stunt 'Magical Creature' supposed to be on my MC's character sheet?" Yes. Rather than being Veil-Touched or relying on your faith in something like most spellcasters, you are an alien entity which uses magic much like the magical creatures of Aelladore - dragons, for example. Whether or not you choose to lean into your magical powers is up to you, but I don't see any circumstance where the Avatar of the Dark God doesn't have some way to employ dark magic.
  • "My MC has only just been 'born'; how do we differentiate our applications from one another?" Well, speaking in the meta, there's a certain reason that the personality and character of this entity could be wildly different from fate to fate (heh). Additionally, the story will probably begin at least a few weeks or months from the initial summoning, so your character will have had the time to have some interesting encounters if that's what you need. We could also say that the Dark God took your soul - unsummoned - to It's realm, first, and that you were able to learn many things from your demonic subjects and watch Aelladore from the comfort and safety of your hell-palace; it gets a little bit wonky because the Demon Realm is not entirely physical (it's partially conceptual) and the Dark God has no true form Itself (meaning no playing catch or getting hugs), but you might be able to do something with that.
  • "What are the 'forces of good' as described in the other character prompt?" That term is a catch-all for hero and paladin types; it could be a champion of good on a path of righteousness and honor, or very simply the acolyte of some religion of holy warriors who banish the darkness with the power of light. It could also be something more niche/specific, I don't know. If you do go with a religious type, you should save a space in your stunt lists for something like Nihlia's Holy Power ability.
  • "Why do you use the word 'dark' so many times in this ad? It's said so many times, you could make a drinking game out of it." Look, it's the best descriptor that fit most of the time, okay? It's like being in the Astral Sea - when in doubt, slap the word "Astral" behind it and you're good to go.

Last edited by Rune Knight; Oct 13th, 2021 at 02:25 AM.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 03:40 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2487
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
Character Sheet - ready for reviewLord Xic |

High Concept | Prince of War and Fire
Trouble | Affirmations of Grandeur
Aspect | Blade of dark immolation
Aspect | Ungodly Allure
Aspect | Man of many voices

Superb (+5) | {Fight}
Great (+4) | {Provoke}, {Physique}
Good (+3) | {Deceive}, {Will}, {Athletics}
Fair (+2) | {Lore}, {Crafts}, {Shoot}, {Resources}
Average (+1) |{Empathy}, {Rapport}, {Investigate}, {Notice}

Physical Stress | [1], [2], [3], [4]
Mental Stress | [1], [2], [3], [4]
Magical Stress | [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mild Consequence | -
Moderate Consequence | -
Severe Consequence | -

Magical Creature:
Unlike Kin, monsters who can use magic are innately capable of it; you are one such creature.
  • Mnemonic - Provoke
  • Theme - War, Arcane, Portals

Stunt: Look of doom
Description: Using Provoke to make a mental attack of one person who is actively engaged with you or within reach of you.

Stunt: Dark Raging Flame
Description: Using Provoke rather than shoot to launch a ranged magical attack, cone of fire.

Player info

Last edited by Jasontheswift; Oct 11th, 2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 07:36 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
@Rune Knight, I'll clean up the grammar and what not over the next few days. I'd be happy if there was any feedback you'd like to give or extra detail you'd like to know.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 08:18 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Rune Knight Rune Knight Rune Knight Rune Knight Rune Knight Rune Knight Rune Knight
Small note before I get to the rest; "Eve's sin"? I'm afraid Christian mythology doesn't apply to this fictional universe, my friend.

"Father", hmm... however automatic it may be to attribute a masculine persona to the Dark God, this is simply inaccurate. The Dark God is genderless, just as evil itself is genderless. You may continue to refer to It as a father, for in truth It would not care, but in order to emphasize It's truly alien nature, try to refer to It as "It" (with a capital "I") in any circumstance where "father" would not apply.

Looking at the end of that sentence as well, I'm a little bit confused; who made what in whose image?

Finally, I believe there is a crucial element to the relationship between the Dark God and It's allies that you seem to have missed. As described in the advertisement, demons are not servants, but family; as an enemy to the universe as a whole, the Dark God must ensure that every demon that makes it to the material realm is in the best shape it can be, and this has led It to organize them in such a way that the most talented demons are nurtured and groomed for promotion while the least capable are tested in many ways in order to find the niche that fits them best. My point is, the mentality - from the Dark God, to It's demons, to even It's mortal servants who empathize with It on a deep level - is a really bonding, "us against the world" mentality.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 08:20 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Something important to note about the Magical Creature stunt: it says up to three words for the theme. This implies that the less words you use, the more weight each word has. Just something to consider.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 10:08 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
Oops I forgot we weren't on Earth. My bad. I'll change up some things.

Last edited by Jasontheswift; Oct 11th, 2021 at 10:10 PM.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 11:33 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
@Rune Knight, So this Demon prince cannot have ambition to overthrow and seek power themselves, they have to be on the Dark One's side almost completely ?
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 11:43 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7381
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
EEEENTERESTING...

So the Dark Lord treats his people with some modicum of respect and acknowledgment, and wants to ensure everyone's as effective as possible? Neat! I actually feel that's, uh, a good way to ensure your machinations work in the long run. So I have this concept for a middle-management style of- Oh wait. It looks like you're looking to recruit just one person. Nevermind.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 11:46 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
@runetide, Rune Knight may like yours better than mine. Might as well have a go.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 11:53 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
@Jasontheswift, I didn't say you couldn't have a character with such an ambition, I just wanted to give some more context that may have been missing. I would be lying if I told you that a goal like that wouldn't significantly alter the campaign, however, or that I'm not sure if I even feel like going in that direction.

@Runetide, there's a potential for one additional PC, but I'll understand if this type of thing isn't your vibe.

Like Jason said, though, one application shouldn't be the way this goes; competition breeds excellence, after all.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 12:55 AM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
Alrighty, I changed the app a little let me know if there are anymore areas that need more detail.
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 12:44 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7381
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Okay so my character idea ONLY works if there's someone else in the group that's 'in charge'.

I want to play a character I designed for a Zombie Orpheus 'Demon Hunters' game, but for FATE: Tim, from Demonic ResourcesD.R.

I just don't know much about playing fate so the abilities and powers and stunts and stuff I am pretty much a newbie at. I played a Dresden Files game once, with one game session, about 6 years ago. So... Yeah. I don't have a clue anymore how to make a character. If you can help me with the mechanical parts, I will make the bestest, most enthusiastic demonic cohort a dark lord could have. I will include the stuff I think I can decide on in the app below, but I would appreciate some guidance on this. In overall vibe, I think a mixture of the Radio Demon from Hazbin Hotel and Kuro from 'that time I reincarnated as a slime'.

Application WIP
Name: Tim, from Demonic Resources
True Name: Tuz'giroch'litlanesbethrial
High Concept | Eldest Field Agent of Demonic Resources.
Trouble | Slave to his Devotion (While powerful, Tuz'giroch'litlanesbethrial has such a devoted to the cause mindset that he simply does not care for vying for any kind of superior power. Instead, he is quite happy to be exactly where he is: in a position to serve the Dark Lord)
Aspect | One Helluva Subordinate (Tuz'giroch'litlanesbethrial displays powers that would damage the psyche of most mortals, save for one thing: He can only express his strengths when ordered to do so)
Aspect | Machiavellian Messiah (As one of the eldest members of D.R. existing, Tuz'giroch'litlanesbethrial is almost always prepared for almost any inconvenience that may befall the Dark Lord's avatar)
Aspect | The Nightmare Beyond (Tuz'giroch'litlanesbethrial has a bizarre origin, one that's probably best left undiscovered... Probably)
Appearance | Tuz'giroch'litlanesbethrial is a too-thin, tall and broad-shouldered yet narrow-waisted individual. His arms and legs are just too long enough to be slightly unnerving. Overall, he carries himself with poise and grace, but appears to adopt the positions and postures of a manservant or butler. He dresses in black, relatively fancy clothing, except when that would go counter to his beloved lord's whims. He has Soot-gray skin, black sclera surrounding ruby-red square-pupiled eyes. He has pure white hair, which is impeccably styled and oiled back, and a matchingly well-groomed tuft of hair on his chin. He wears shoes, but for some reason leaves behind cloven-hoofed footprints where he treads. His movements seem oddly disjointed, like if someone was rewinding footage of someone walking backwards, but it somehow fits in with the current direction of time. When wounded, he bleeds an ultrafine fine black sand instead of any kind of liquid blood. When Tuz'giroch'litlanesbethrial talks, one can see he does in fact possess a silvery colored tongue, but the rest of the inside of his mouth is the same, with sharp, pointed white teeth. His speech is eloquent, and in casual conversation sounds achingly pleasant to hear. Should he become angry, however...

Last edited by Runetide; Oct 13th, 2021 at 01:05 AM.
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 01:44 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
That's a pretty fun concept actually, I think I can see it. Just the gist of it here is fine for the purposes of this ad; should you get accepted for the game, we can hash out the details then.

You know, I think I'll change the "number of players" parameter to reflect this, because now there's the potential for the MC, Nihlia, a fun demon companion, and a member of the forces of good. And who knows what other ideas people may have.

EDIT: The ad's a little bit disjointed now, but that's okay.

Last edited by Rune Knight; Oct 13th, 2021 at 02:27 AM.