User Statistics
RPXP: 284
fancyjellyfish fancyjellyfish fancyjellyfish
right-aligned image

Character Name: Blythe Skenny
Race: Tiefling
Class: Paladin (Trithereon)
Background: Urchin
Traits: I ask a lot of questions, I bluntly say what people are hinting at or hiding.
Ideal: All people rich and poor, deserve respect.
Bond: No one else should have to endure the hardships I've been through.
Flaw: People who can't take care of themselves get what they deserve.
Appearance: Blythe is tall and noticeably handsome. He carries himself with complete confidence and infectious determination. His dark red skin, and curved ram-like horns, make him stand out in a crowd.
Personality: Blythe is a tiefling who is overwhelmingly comfortable in his own skin. He has no shame and doesn't think anyone else should feel shame either. He is always the loudest voice in a crowd but also the most reasonable.
Backstory: After a rough childhood on the streets alone, Blythe served 6 years in prison for accessory to murder. While in prison, Blythe was taken under the wing of a particularly sentimental inmate who educated him and introduced him to religion. When his mentor died from illness, Blythe took his name in order to honor, and remember him. After a year of soul searching due to the loss of his mentor, Blythe found Trithereon. Not just a god worth following, but one who spoke to him directly. Blythe emerged from prison with a new goal; To go on a pilgrimage of liberty in hopes of connecting more strongly with Trithereon. And as luck would have it, Blythe could think of no place as free as a whole new world. A place where he might be able to protect the liberty he believes in.

Last edited by fancyjellyfish; 02-15-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 591
Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate
@telcontar Thanks for keeping us updated!
Old 02-14-2020, 10:23 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2
Kuran
right-aligned image

Character Name: Orryn Raulnor
Race:Forest Gnome
Class: Druid
Background: Outlander
  • Personality Trait: I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won't save you from a hungry owlbear.
  • Personality Trait: I have a lesson for every situation, drawn from observing nature.
  • Ideal: Nature. The natural world is more important than all the constructs of civilization.
  • Bond: My family, clan, or tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.
  • Flaw: Don't expect me to save those who can't save themselves. It is nature's way that the strong thrive and the weak perish.
Appearance: Orryn stands a little over three feet tall, with long black hair flowing unkempt over his shoulders. He can usually be seen wearing the browns and greens commonly worn by those who spend time in natural places.
Personality: Orryn is loyal to one thing, and one thing only: Nature itself. Believing, as many druids do, in preserving the balance of nature, he tends to make friendly easily with fellow naturalists. He has little patience for city folk, however, and some consider his manners and social graces to be lacking.
Backstory: Born into a druidic circle, Orryn was raised in a simple way, rarely leaving the forest he called home. He was happy, learning the ways of the natural order of things among family, friends, and animals.

One day, however, things were destined to change.

A trip to a local hamlet turned bad when a local nobleman accused Orryn of killing his prized hunting dog. In reality, he had simply been trying to help the creature, who had been suffering an ailment, but it had died before he was able to begin treatment. Nevertheless, the noble reported Orryn to the guard, and he was forced to flee, rather than be arrested. Fearing that a return home would bring trouble to his family, he instead traveled to Westport, hoping to sign on with a ship and escape his homeland until memory of his supposed crime had faded...
Old 02-15-2020, 04:00 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 86
Hoots
I've been down for the count with the flu/plague for about a week and doubt I'll get anything of quality posted in time for the deadline. I'm going to bow out, but wish y'all the best of luck!
Old 02-15-2020, 06:31 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1652
Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru
Yvaine, Half-Orc Paladin
left-aligned image

Character Name: Yvaine
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Paladin
Background: Acolyte
- Trait: I quote (or misquote) sacred texts and proverbs in almost every situation.
- Trait: I've spent so long in the temple that I grow anxious and uncomfortable when forced to deal with people in the outside world.
- Ideal: Aspiration. I seek to prove myself worthy of my god's favour, to become a true knight of Celestian.
- Bond: I owe a debt of honour to my vanished mentor, and will do anything to discover what happened to him...
- Flaw: I put too much trust in those who wield power within my temple's hierarchy.

Appearance: Tall, broad, and well-muscled, Yvaine has a tendency to stoop, hanging her head as if attempting to appear smaller than she is. Her expression is often anxious, her brow frequently furrowed, but in her rare moments of confidence or elation her eyes shine a dark, clear blue, like the depths of the cloudless sky...

Personality: Yvaine is diffident, self-effacing, and unsure of herself. Though inclined to kindness and generosity, years of feeling foolish and out of place have given her a tendency to withdraw into herself that she had only just begun to overcome. Lacking confidence in her own judgement, she habitually falls back on the teachings of her temple when in doubt (despite her shaky grasp of their finer points).

Backstory: The Temple of Celestian raises its wards in the service of the Far Wanderer, providing rigorous training in the esoteric arts of astronomy, astrology, and mathematics that form the foundations of their worship. Yvaine, however, could never quite get to grips with the sacred teachings. The arcane abstractions of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry made her head spin; meditation made her restless, agitating her mind instead of helping her to focus it; and although she loved stargazing, and quickly learned the stories behind the various constellations, she consistently failed to grasp the relationship between those bright lights over the sea and the bafflingly cross-hatched and annotated sheets of parchment the priesthood seemed to think it necessary to torment her with.

Just as she was beginning to reconcile herself to a life as a perpetual neophyte, unable to serve the temple in anything but the meanest capacity, her saviour appeared. Hesper Lee, a Knight of the Order of Celestian commonly referred to as the Wandering Stars recognised a kindred spirit in Yvaine, and offered to extend his pilgrimage to remain in Westport long enough to train her up as a squire. Yvaine flourished under his care, discovering a natural talent for the martial arts. For the first time she learned to see her broad, powerful frame as an asset, rather than a source of shame, and she found that after an hour or two of sparring she could calm her mind in a manner that a decade's worth of patient instruction had failed to teach her. Hesper Lee's blunt, prosaic thoughts on the deeper mysteries of Celestian elucidated with vague hand gestures, or lines scratched in the dirt of the courtyard they used as a training hall made more sense to her than anything she'd heard from the monks, and to her surprise and delight she could feel the tangled knot of their teachings begin to loosen within her (if not quite unravelling, just yet).

After three happy years in training, Yvaine was preparing to accompany Lee and leave the temple on her final pilgrimage as a squire, the journey which would constitute her induction into the Order as a knight-errant, a Wandering Star in her own right. Just a few weeks before their planned departure, however, her mentor vanished. At the same time, the priesthood informed her that her training was complete. She was now considered a Knight of the Order of Celestian, and furthermore her first task in that capacity had already been decided: she was to represent the temple on an important voyage, forming part of the expeditionary force the Duke was sending across the sea, to the New World. Yvaine had to hurry and prepare for departure: the ship would be leaving in a few days...

Old 02-15-2020, 06:34 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1652
Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I've been down for the count with the flu/plague for about a week and doubt I'll get anything of quality posted in time for the deadline.
UNCLEAN... UNCLEAN I mean, sorry to hear that Hoots, get well soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
Okay, less than three days till applications close. I've sent PMs to everyone that has expressed an interest but not submitted an application, and to those whose applications are still WIPs.
The subtle art of the gentle nudge is an important one for a DM to master
Old 02-16-2020, 05:39 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
**APPLICATIONS CLOSED**

Okay, it's the 16th and there hasn't been new applications in a couple of days, so I'm closing the application period.

I'll start sending out invites shortly, then post the list of successful applicants once they've accepted.

Last edited by Telcontar; 02-16-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:20 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1611
MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus
Good luck to everyone.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:50 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
**APPLICATIONS CLOSED**

The following players have been accepted into Journey to the New World:

PlayerCharacterRaceClassBackgroundStatus
triedtherestPelderan OakleyVariant HumanCleric(Life Domain)Folk HeroAccepted
KarlCullinaneEarahl KayeSilver DragonbornBardSailorAccepted
AlemarDuren McFaydenHill DwarfRangerUrchinAccepted
BinnFordTorrim "Nim" TimbersRock GnomeWarlockGuild ArtisanAccepted
TherruYvaineHalf-OrcPaladinAcolyteAccepted

If you want feedback on your application, I'm more than happy to do so. Please PM me.

However, it's worth noting that some applications that didn't make it were objectively about on par with some that did make it. In the end, in order to narrow it down to five players, I had to fall back on fairly subjective personal preferences. In other words, my feedback may amount to "actually, there was nothing much wrong with your application".

In closing, I'd really like to thank everyone that applied for my game and made the selection process so tough!

Last edited by Telcontar; 02-17-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Closed Thread