RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Season starts THIS week

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 66504
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
In Service to Coramir

Game NameIn Service to Coramir
Game SystemDnD 3.5e
ThemeMilitary themed adventure
FlavourClassic DnD Module driven Monster Fighting, a chance to work all those tier 3 and 4 classes.
Plot SummaryI am toying with an idea, and want to gauge interest in it before devoting tons of time.

It will be a hack and slash game built around a military theme, where there are no Tier 1 classes (Wizard, Cleric, Druid, Archivist, Artificer, Erudite), and some of the game-breaking high magic is not available. Also, I want to create a place where players eventually recruit their own teammates, as well as a place that newbies can come, easily join in, and perhaps get some experience. I am looking to give tier 3 and 4 a chance to shine, so bring out your warmages, duskblades, rogues, rangers, spirit shamans, and even paladins.

Your PC would be a new recruit (level 1 PC) in the Army of Coramir Resistance, at the bottom of the pool in a newly formed squad. Your duties are whatever your squad leader tells you, perhaps guarding a trade road overnight, retrieving some valuable item left behind enemy lines during a retreat, scouting enemy forces, or rushing to the front to fill gaps in the line during a battle. You will fight typical DnD style monsters, bad guys, etc., and your individual missions may not always make sense to you, but they do to the commanding generals. This allows a wide variety of things to choose from, including dungeon crawls, open field battles, and fights against nearly anything in the bestiary.

Your enemy are the Ardor, black armored warrior mages who six decades ago invaded the lands of Coramir, and established themselves along the eastern coast. During the first twenty years of war, most of Coramir's royalty, and the cream of her magical and military crop, was wiped out. So to, were the great powers of the Ardor, leaving a firmly entrenched army camped on the coastline of Coramir, fighting a growing resistance army intent on destroying them.

Initially, your squad leader will be an NPC. However, as you gain EXP, you will advance up the chain of command, and quickly become a squad leader yourself. This advancement will be done through successful missions, AND, game posting. Posting frequency will be rewarded, and lack of posting will result in... being left behind enemy lines, being left in camp on KP duty, or being booted out of the squad for the next mission.

My goal is to allow those excellent players who post frequently and move the plot forward to control their own squad of like minded individuals. To that extent, I will have at least two squads active at a time: 7th squad (those who post 7 times a week or more) and 3rd squad (those who can commit to every other day posting or so). Both squads will have missions, however, they will run separately from each other, so that speedier posters aren't held back by slower folks.

The game will be rather open to new players, with an open pool of recruits. After the initial mission, squads will likely alter somewhat (based on posting, etc.). New squads may be formed, if interest is high enough and enough people are ready. Eventually, squad leaders can spend time recruiting players IN CHARACTER to fill out their rosters, based on mission parameters, etc.. it will NOT be unusual to have a squad of mixed level PC's, it will be up to the PC Squad Leader to decide who he likes and needs on his team.

There's still a LOT left unfinished in the idea, but I wanted to run this up a flagpole here, and get pros/cons, see if there was interest, and figure it out before i fell flat on my face in game time.

Ideas? Comments? Questions?

Last edited by Admin Dirk; 11-28-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Season starts THIS week

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
reserved for FAQs

Allowed Races: Core + (if it's not core, ask. If I have the info, I will typically allow it.) Obviously, no LA races.

Allowed books: Core, UA, Complete series. otherwise, ask.

Stat generations: Either point buy or some elite stat array.

To applyI will need three things

Class, Race, and which squad you think you can maintain: Squad 7 is once day posters, squad 3 is every other day posters.

Be honest with yourself on your posting rate.

Last edited by Admin Dirk; 11-27-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1056
Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf
I think this looks like a fun game. Besides Tier One is there anything you will not be allowing? I'm looking to get a warlock into a game, I've had an idea for a bit now. Nothing crazy, I'm not going for a hellfire build or anything like that.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Season starts THIS week

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileywulf View Post
I think this looks like a fun game. Besides Tier One is there anything you will not be allowing? I'm looking to get a warlock into a game, I've had an idea for a bit now. Nothing crazy, I'm not going for a hellfire build or anything like that.
I am typically pretty liberal in my allowances, and warlock is certainly in the tier 3/4 arena, so i see no problem with it.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Middle Earthworm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 448
Friend Friend Friend Friend Friend
Sounds like a well planned concept.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf Baileywulf
Do you want apps yet or just questions and interest?
Old 11-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55
aimo2522
I'm very interested, but I'm not sure if my race is core or not (I don't think it is). My character's a Spirit Folk Bard...
Old 11-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Season starts THIS week

Tools
User Statistics
apps are fine. they indicate interest.
where do I find spirit folk?

Last edited by Admin Dirk; 11-27-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
This app is mostly taken from another thread, with a few minor changes, let me know if you would like more work put into it.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Bone Head

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1009
spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed
Also interested, what system are we using for stats? Considering either Human or Kobold Marshal/something.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13
Fearaen
Would you allow these modifications to the Hexblade class?

1 --
* Good Fortitude save
* Curse ability usable 1 + the hexblade's Cha modifier per day
* Curse ability usable as a swift action
* Curse ability does not count as used if the target makes his saving throw
* Ability to cast in light or medium armor and while carrying a light shield or buckler
* At 6th level, the hexblade can cast one hexblade spell per day as a swift action, as long as its original casting time is a standard action or faster. He gains an additional use of this power at levels 8, 11, 14, and 18.

2 --
the use of the Dark Companion variation found on page 47 of the PHB2.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Season starts THIS week

Tools
User Statistics
@ fearaen: I am okay with those changes for a hexblade.

@spikehed: Not sure, either a point buy, or i often just give a stat array. either way, there will be no low rolls to capsize a PC idea.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10354
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
I am interested in doing it. No idea what I would play.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Terror With a Smile

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
rgrmrdth
I am interested.

Is there a link or something that would show me what tier a given class is in?

Last edited by rgrmrdth; 11-27-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: need tier info
Old 11-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Season starts THIS week

Tools
User Statistics
Try this: Tiers