twitter facebook

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Bone Head

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1009
spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed
Updated application to different class since squad 7 has another possible Dread Necro
Old 12-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 61022
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Lots of good apps and ideas...

Let's see if Cid or AJ updates the application chart tonight. As promised, I will choose squads tomorrow, and let folks know, probably around this time tomorrow, give or take an hour.

That way, you can begin statting them up, buying what little gear you can have, and get into the game by the end of the weekend.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Chibi Commandant Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1328
HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin
Around how big will each squad be?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
good question.

I prefer 4 to 5, HOWEVER, my experience is that if I select 5, two will drop out in the first two weeks, and another will drop out in a month. Then, the party stalls, while we look for replacements.

So, I might do 6. or even give 8 a try, just to be crazy. I am scared and excited at that prospect, both. 8 members IS a standard squad size, and it is a war, so... they may all go out, but might not all come back. Casualty rates could be high among the players who fail to keep up.

One thing that will happen is that the pace WILL move forward. If you don't post, we aren't waiting on you for long. squad 7 better be committed, and squad 3 better be steady. Posting players will have a great ride (i hope) on the train, non-posters will be under the train.

*insert evil DM style laughing here. Echo effect at end*
Old 12-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Oriana 🌸 Oleander

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1363
ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz
*lightning crashes*

that was uncanny, how that lightning crashed after your evil laughter.
What are my options, when all my ambitions fail?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3050
Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkoth View Post
homegrown. any resemblance to a word/place/idea already in use is coincidental.

Heheh. Too bad, I was going to break out my 1st ED source books to get some names, a city, etc. for my background.

I'll have to look into that Tiefling (savage progression). I'm going to edit my original post with just a couple of lines of background.

I started my game three and a half years ago with two groups of seven players and within a month I was down to one group of five. I really like your idea, dirkoth, because the players that stick with the game won't get penalized by as much by the disappearence of other players. I've learned a lot of stuff from running that game for so long (like not to get bogged down with all kinds of background machinations that barely effect the player characters...I swear dirkoth, we'll be out of that city soon ) and a big one is that the standard idea of a campaign IRL doesn't work as well here.
And fear walk hand in hand...
Old 12-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Bone Head

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1009
spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed spikehed
Sounds very exciting, questions for you as far as statting up goes. Are you going max gold for level 1 or average? Have you decided on points vs arrays that you were talking about earlier? Flaws/Traits allowed?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikehed View Post
Sounds very exciting, questions for you as far as statting up goes. Are you going max gold for level 1 or average? Have you decided on points vs arrays that you were talking about earlier? Flaws/Traits allowed?
good questions, and here, you can see how flexible I am as a DM...

drumroll please....

Max gold. You have been in the army for a bit, so you are being paid (i haven't worked out pay rates yet, but you get paid monthly), so you will have max gold to spend, sure.

It will be a given stat array. a nice one, i think. shouldn't be too many complaints.

And traits and flaws... I am going to be different here, and say "kinda". If you want a trait or a flaw, (and are accepted), let's discuss as you build. I am not opposed to them, but I would also love folks to work with me to acquire a flaw, in game, or something, based on things that happen. One nice thing that way, when you get these things 'granted' to you midgame, you get a new feat or power bump in the middle of the game. After all, you are first level. Maybe you want a blind bard as a PC, but start out sighted, and let ME and my monsters poke out your eyes. that's so much better than coming in already blind.

(where's that lightning/thunder button again?)
Old 12-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlycorn View Post
Heheh. Too bad, I was going to break out my 1st ED source books to get some names, a city, etc. for my background.
go ahead, populate my world! please! there's not a city in it yet with a name.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 703
Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx
Quick question:
Are you using the expanded list of Tier 3 & 4 classes?
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...?topic=11714.0
Also, do you allow homebrew classes that are targeted specifically at Tier 3? I found a great list some time back...
Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1047
Rlyeth Rlyeth Rlyeth Rlyeth Rlyeth Rlyeth Rlyeth Rlyeth
This sounds like its going to be an epic game. I've always found the fighter to be sorely outmatched once you get passed lvl 5 or 6 if there are some powerful magic users involved. How do you feel about Homebrew abilities? I've got some ideas for shoulder mounted weapons for the warforged which I think would make him a true walking tank while not being horribly unbalanced or game breaking. I look forward to seeing who has made the cut.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:02 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
@gavinfoxx: i am open to some on the expanded list. make an offer
@fafnir: Epic? No, let's just aim for fun. As for fighters being outclassed at higher levels, it can happen. But, there's TOB, and there's good playing, and by that time, who knows, you may be a squad leader, and all your wizards are 4 levels below you.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:21 AM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 703
Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx
Uh... how about Summoner?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174628
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...70&postcount=3
Not the Pathfinder Summoner, a homebrew, targeted at Tier 3 summoner?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:19 AM
Warhammer 40.000 fanatic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2909
Emurian Emurian Emurian Emurian Emurian Emurian Emurian Emurian Emurian Emurian Emurian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
This sounds like its going to be an epic game. I've always found the fighter to be sorely outmatched once you get passed lvl 5 or 6 if there are some powerful magic users involved.
*scratches behind his ear* I think you misunderstand the concept of power in DnD. The real power in the game flows forth from ROLEplay rather then ROLLplay. Sure casters might have a edge in most combats at higher levels but that being said a good roleplayer can make a much larger impact with a fighter character then a rollplaying caster thats only concerned about making a min/max build and resolving every conflict with violence.

I hope im able to show you this if/when I get accepted in the game . Dont understimate the power of building up a network of NPC's that can fill in that which your character is not able to do on his own.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 93
WalterSlovotsky

This is not the post you are looking for. You may go about your business. Move along, move along.