Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 381
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Reluctant Heroes

Game NameReluctant Heroes
Game SystemDnD 3.5e
ThemeOrdinary folk rising to heights of extraordinary courage and sacrifice
FlavourMedieval with magic and elements of Conan, Lord of the Rings,Thieves World, Tales of Mithgar, and Melnibone
Plot SummaryImagine Europe in the 13th and 14th Centuries, with elements and a past steeped in Lore from Robert E Howard, Tolkien, The Thieves World Saga, Moorcock's Melnibone, The Tales of Mythgar and The Forgotten Realms.
Plague, Feudal rivalries, corrupt Lords and Ladies, brutal knights and insidiously evil members of the Church, all creating strife and woe among the populace. What is a cobbler's son to do? or a Tailor's maid? or the daughter of minor noble pledged in marriage to a monster in shining armor. They rise up and become heroes....Reluctant Heroes, but Heroes indeed.....a letter from the Sorceress Jamie Bogget, to those who would become, 'Reluctant Heroes,'
"I think and say "No!" to war with Lux. Will we send our sons, brothers, and fathers to die for no good reason? No! The endless royal skirmishes over the borderlands and the untamable Ardenese Forest should be settled diplomatically. Thousands of good men should not die because the royals squabble for tablescraps like dogs instead of doing their duty as our leaders and drafting treaties and terms. Still, our armies eyes are looking South. And, undoubtedly, theirs to the North. Meanwhile, the true enemy of both of us lurks in the East. Uruks have been building their own army. They've taken over Germania and turned humans into their slaves. I think and say, "Look to the East, armies of mankind! Not at each other!" This is my most heartfelt advice. And, who am I to give such advice? I am your sister and your daughter who simply hopes to be a wife and a mother in security and peace."

The characters of the world need to reflect their medieval setting. This is a different than many D&D games. Magic in particular is often a mystery and a fascination and fear to PC’s and NPC’s in the world. Weapons, armor and dress will be of a medieval flavor as will characters actions. There will still be a strong vein of the fantastic running through the world tempered by the Medieval setting.

Player Characters will only need the D&D 3.5 Player's Handbook.
RacesElves

Half-Elves have no Kingdoms of their own and live where humans live. It is possible to have half-drow players.
Dwarves

Gnomes

Halflings

Humans as per Players Handbook. They live in most places in the Western Kingdoms
Half Orcs as per Players Handbook. They too are found in most places in the Western Kingdoms except the British Isles
The Kelmain -

Fey Touched -

Classes
1. Barbarian, as per Players Handbook or

2. Bard, as per the Players Handbook or

3. Cleric, as per the Players Handbook, most religions are possible, including Norse, Finnish, Celtic, Egyptian, Greek, Babylonian etc. The largest, most organized and influential religion is the Church of the West, based very much on the Medieval Church which dominated at the time. Church of the West:

4. Druid, as per the Players Handbook, or

5. Fighter, as per the Players Handbook

6. Monk, as per the Players Handbook

7. Paladin, as per the Players Handbook, or

8. Ranger, as per the Players Handbook, with the exception they have no penalties for fighting two handed and they roll a die 10 for hitpoints.

9. Rogue, as per the Players Handbook

10.. Sorcerer, as per the Players Handbook

11. Warlock, as per the Players Handbook using 5th edition Template and Sorcerers skill and feats from 3.5

12. Wizard, as per the Players Handbook

Character Creation:

Game Play and the Rules
This is a heavy role-playing focused game. Reluctant Heroes is centered on creating stories of the characters. There is combat for certain, but as Dm's, we work more on the flow of the game and what makes sense, rather than all the particular rules that we think slow the game down or make it ponderous for many players who just want to play and not turn every encounter into a tactical endeavor. In that, we try to make it flow more like 5th Edition. The core rule mechanics of the game are D&D v3.5 Core Rules. The Manuals are the Players Handbook (Core Rules I), Dungeon Masters Guide (Core Rules II) and the Monster Manual (Core Rules III). We reserve the right to make ad-hoc rulings, that sometimes only apply to that particular event. Having to rule about whether the weight of a petrified halfling is enough for a dwarf to pull himself out of pit trap without the pulling the halfling down on top of the dwarf's head is one of those instances. There are House Rules as well, such as no Teleportation and no player characters with psionics. The use of gates and planular doors is acceptable. There are a host of spells and abilities not in the Core Manuals that the Dm's can introduce to the players. If a player has an idea, feel free to let us know and we will decide if it is workable or not. Over the years Reluctant Heroes has had a number of singular characters, that worked out for a particular campaign and player, but was decided for game equity not to allow them again. We often experimented over the years and game played/tested new ideas. The ones that we felt added to the enjoyment of the game, we kept, the one's we didn't, we let go. Currently we are playtesting a new priest class and using a 5th Edition Warlock template with sorcerer skills and feats. So far, both are working well.

Dungeon Masters will make game rulings based on the rules and their judgment. Players are welcome to debate a ruling or bring information to light that the Dungeon Master may have missed. When a Dungeon Master says the words. “My Final Ruling is….”, that is the final ruling. This is not a game for ‘Rules Lawyers’. Dragging on debate into an argument is not good for the game and can create hard feelings not only between DM and player, but also between player and player. The motivation of your DM’s is for everyone to have a good time and go on an adventure together. That is why we play the game. Keep the game as entertainment, it’s easy to get emotionally attached to characters. Remember in the big scope of life, it’s only a game…………………….….and have fun

We are not worried about whether you have played for years or if this is your first foray into gaming. We would like people ready to play and have fun, who can be serious and silly, because there will be time and need for both. If you would like to provide a brief sample of your writing/play style, you may do so, but it is not necessary.

Last edited by Rasgorn; 02-10-2020 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2444
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
what is the starting level?
Old 05-27-2018, 08:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1910
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Much more Player Character detail is needed in this
Old 05-27-2018, 08:44 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 214
Squadfather43 Squadfather43 Squadfather43
You've definitely have got my curiosity peeked. What character details do you need? What rules have sat down?
Old 05-27-2018, 09:48 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Narvath
That hook is certainly intriguing; I am looking forward to seeing what prerequisites you have for the players. I have started reading through the 3.5 Edition Player Handbook to get up to speed. With that in mind are you looking for experienced players or a mixed pot?
Old 05-28-2018, 06:16 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 381
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Hello Everyone,

I have to say I had not expected such quick replies, so thank you for your interest.

1. To Seekr34 - I prefer everyone to start out at 1st level as they get their feel for the game and other characters. Gibbon and I do make exceptions though. We are all about exceptions and working with players to build the characters they want...as long they fit with the game milieu. I know that may not entirely answer your question, but we have found starting out at first level usually works best.

2. Krow Nest - I am not understanding your question. What player character details would you like? This is a Home-Brew game based on 3.5 D&D with a number of variations and some additions of character classes not found elsewhere, like Flagellant Priests, Templar Knights, Rangers of Loki and SwordSworn priest/rogues and more. I prefer people to start play with one of the "standard" classes starting at 1st level and then work from there in developing the character they want to create. This is a game that has been evolving and growing for more than forty years and borrows from many games that are no longer even in print. Take a chance and see what happens.

3. Squadfather43 - Another question about character details, hrmmm. Gibbon and I try to make them game more about role-playing, than roll play. There are plenty of games where you roll the die and roll the die and ...this is not that game. This is a game where who the character is has more importance than what the character can do. We are happy building characters, but the reason for building them has to be more than I want a powerful character...I sound like a prick and that is not my intention. Here is an example, we had a player who started as a basic rogue and then due to character choice later became and Arbalest(expert with mechanized weapons like crossbows and most siege weapons) and a Master of Alchemy. Two potent combinations that served him well.
Our base rules are 3.5 D&D, but by the time you reach 4th or 5th level we stray from that, or not. It all depends on how you want to play and create your character. I hope that helps.

4. Narvath - I am not sure about his question. We don't have prerequisites for players. I want players to engage with other players and the game and to bring their vicarious sense of living in other shoes. I am not worried if you have never gamed before, or if you have been playing since Moses parted the Red Sea...I have played with people who have gamed for years, and apparently had not learned anything in all that time. And then there are first time gamers that create exceptional memories of games and of characters, so much so, you are saddened when they are gone. The true thing that counts in gaming is the chemistry between the players and DM. I have found if you don't have chemistry with others, it doesn't matter how long you have played or the depth of your technical knowledge. When you do, it is a fabulous ride.The game is based on 3.5 D&D, but it is a Homebrew game that has numerous variations and exceptions to 3.5. It is hard to list all of them here.

For Everyone, Here is our basic character building format. Your character gets 78 points, each point is equal to one ability point. An 18 strength costs 18 points, leaving you 60 points for your remaining 5 ability scores. Only one score can be below 10, and no scores below 8. No scores may be higher than 18.
If you want to change these rules, let us know and we will discuss your reasons, usually we stick with this format. Overall, it has worked best for us over the years.

Select Skills and Feats
Assign Skills: To allow maximimum character flexibility there is no cross class penalty for skill acquisition. Those skills that are in conflict with the character will not be allowed; such as a Paladin taking the Forgery skill.

You choose your race and class and then let Gibbon and I know some of things you want incorporated into your character and we will then create your history and the circumstances that have led you to an adventuring life.

Here is an example:

Caradoc

From an early age you asked questions and looked at things to find out what was going on with them. Your parents always thought you strange because you would rather learn to recite poems or stories than go swimming or riding with the other boys. Your parents were proud of that. Both of them knew how to read and write, which was unusual for the town of Tarbes where you grew up. The only other people in town who could read and write were the monks at the abbey and the Lord and his family, who your father counseled and also taught to read and write. Your family was unusual in that they were gauls or more properly called Iberian Celts as your father Nammeius would say. Your mother Essylt, tended your household and her children and often worked as a mid-wife and taught many of the local people stories and kept the histories of their families for the Druids. She at one time lived as a druid, but left to marry your father. Your family, are free people who willingly serve the Baron of Tarbes. He is a decent man and so is his son Allard, who shares your love of songs and history, much to the chagrin of his father and uncle.
One of the things you always look forward to is the coming of the “Forest People,” those celts who live in the old ways and travel from town to town selling their wares and skills, singing and dancing and trading goods and information. They have always fascinated you with their wild dances and strange body paints and tattoos. Their lifestyle entices you and often after a band of them has left you and Allard plot to run away with them but never do. Although there is something about them that always leaves you in a state of wonder.
On your fifteenth birthday, your mother’s brother, Morfius visits. It is the first time you have ever met him. He is from a far off place called Wales by Lord Tarbes but known as Bossonia or Albu to the people who live there. It’s also where your mother was born, something you didn’t know until Morfius came.
Morfius is a druid of the old ways and the old gods, and you listened intently to what he had to say. His voice seemed to draw you in and hold your attention with his stories of magic and mystery and his travels and you couldn’t imagine any better life than the one he had. Part of you hoped to go with him when he left, but you thought there was little chance of that happening, so you were surprised when your parents asked you if you if wanted to travel with him. You of course said yes.
Traveling with Morfius was an enlightening experience for you. You saw and learned more than you ever thought possible and it was Morfius who initiated you into the “old mysteries’ and the knowledge of the old gods or powers as he called them. He set you on a path to becoming a druid, but always cautioned you to choose carefully, it was not life meant for just everyone. You followed his advice, watched and learned and after traveling with him for four years you chose to return home, rather than keep pursuing Druidism. You can’t say why you made that decision; you just felt it was what you should do.
You returned home to find changes, but not unexpected ones. Allard was grown, as was his sister Alita. She always intrigued you, but you never knew what to do about that. It helped that she was easily the fairest girl in Tarbes and your best friend’s sister. She was also easy to talk with and smart and a little bit sassy. It didn’t surprise you to hear she was promised to another. His name is Sir Alfred Nickerson and he was a knight who lived far north in the Champagne Region of Normandy. You had never been there, but knew from stories and legends that you had heard that it was a land of deep forests, high moors, fertile wine growing hills and deep, slow moving rivers. Sir Nickerson had left several months ago and had not been heard from since. Your friend Allard was told by his father that he should go find out what had happened, and if the marriage was for some reason cancelled. Allard asked if you would go with him as his counselor and aide. You agreed and the two of set off for the Barony of Fontenot, where Sir Nickerson supposedly lived in some place called High Vale.
Your journey was mostly uneventful as the two of you cautiously made your way north. Once you got to Fontenot, you found it in the midst of a war. Not sure of who was who, or what faction to trust, you and Allard tried to avoid most people on your way to High Vale. Riding through the dark forests in the middle of a snow storm, Allard was shot through the ribs by a large gnoll. The gnoll and his band lost you in the storm, but you didn’t think you would be able to hide for long. Luckily, you found a manor house in an abandoned village with wall around it and sturdy gates that you barred after entering. Once there, you could feel arcane wards and knew that druids and others who used power had been there before and this place would probably as safe as any you could find.

You can choose four 0 level spells to have prepared and two 1st level spells from the Players Handbook. You also have two horses, leather armor, a shield, a masterwork +2 leaf blade sword(2-8/1-10 damage) two spears, two knives, three sets of 60ft of rope, a lantern, two flasks of oil and a bedroll and tent. Allard has a crossbow, which you know how to use, and fifteen bolts, a short bow, which you know how to use and 31 arrows, a suit of chainmail, a masterwork +2 longsword, a lance, and three spears.
Due to your training and education from Morfius, you can add a +2 to all your Knowldege rolls for Religion, Arcana, and Nature.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 214
Squadfather43 Squadfather43 Squadfather43
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll start working on the basic idea of a concept. Do you want it posted here or sent as a pm?
Old 05-28-2018, 11:00 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1910
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
We asked because you havent given really any details; what classes are avilable, can we multi class, what races, can we homebrew classes/races , do you want the personality traits/ideal/bond/flaws, do you need a backstory, do you want a rp sample? Literally look at any other ad, they explain this stuff

Last edited by Krow Nest; 05-28-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2444
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Thanks for the response. I am going to withdraw my interest. I been in so many games that start off at 1st level and then falls apart. So I am looking for high level games to start now.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:17 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33
Grunt
Hi Rasgorn, I'd be into playing a paladin:

OttoWhen the knight came through town, he was the most powerful figure Otto had ever seen. Atop of a large brown warhorse, with heavy armour and a large sword by his side. Otto looked up to him and projected all the stories and fairytales about valiant knights onto this man.
Otto himself had been working as a smiths apprentice and in his off hours he tended the stables of the town tavern. He had always been large for his age and well suited for physical labor. This was the closest he had ever come to a real life knight, and the man was instantly his hero.

When he eventually visited the smith's workshop, Otto was there and he couldn't believe his ears! Besides new horseshoes for the warhorse, the knight needed an attendant, a serving boy. The blacksmith was hesitant, but the lure of coin combined with Otto's enthusiasm pulled him over the line.

Otto travelled with the knight and learned all that was to be expected from him. The days were long and the work was tough, but he loved it. He almost considered himself a real squire, even though he lacked noble blood, and he put his heart and soul into his work.

Days became weeks, and weeks turned into months. Otto became more and more disillusioned with the so-called knight. Sure he was of noble blood, but his actions were those of a common mercenary. Many nights Otto had to drag the drunken knight back to his tent. He was off chasing the pleasures of the night far more than he was ever interested in chasing bandits or saving fair maidens. Once, even though he had gotten paid to recover a merchants shipment from a bandit attack, the knight just slipped away and headed for another town! Otto was not impressed but stuck by his masters side.
Sometimes he would teach Otto how to swing a sword, or block with a shield. Things like this kept Otto around, because the young man was easily impressed by these things.

Then one day, they got ambushed crossing a river. The knight fought off the bandits, but got gravely wounded in the process. With his dying breath, he knighted Otto. Otto didn't know what to do, but collected the knights things and donned his armour. He mounted the warhorse and rode after the bandits. After a days chase he caught up with the three remaining bandits and charged them. Three against one should have been an easy fight for the bandits, but Ottos wasn't alone. His sword glowed with holy light, and his shield absorbed blow after blow. His hands guided by divine intervention, Otto slew the bandits and tuned in their ears at the local magistrate.

The pay and praise he got were instantly addictive. He wondered why no-one asked about the legitimacy of his knighthood, but they seemed to accept it, so he ran with it. He caught a glimpse in the window of himself on top of the warhorse, and had to admit that he looked the part. He also wondered which god he should thank, but there'd be plenty of time to find that out...
Old 06-01-2018, 07:38 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 306
tsuyoshikentsu tsuyoshikentsu tsuyoshikentsu tsuyoshikentsu
As someone who's both done a ton of PbPing and played in this game elsewhere (hi Ras), let me give both parties here a little context.

Rasgorn: On most sites like this (myth-weavers.com is another example), it's typical for ads to include a list of materials and sources allowed. Unless you've changed this since I last played (which, to be fair, was a long while ago), you would want to include something like "PHB only, Human only, 1:1 point buy, no homebrew besides our own allowed--but there's a LOT of that."

For everyone else: RH is a real-world inspired, semi-gritty game with more history than you could ever possibly read. A vast majority of powerful characters in the setting are long-time PCs, which comes with advantages and disadvantages--you can interact with them very regularly, but you're very unlikely to be one.

Advantages of the game include a series of dedicated DMs, an incredibly established world, and a group that most certainly is not going to disappear overnight--I played in it something like a decade ago on a different site (RIP RolePlayMarket), and it'd been going for years before that. Also, the roleplaying is very, very good--I left over a dispute with some of the GMs (more on that below), but liked my character so much that I actually still kept his sheet even after all of this time. Finally, while the mechanical options are severely restricted, many of the DMs are willing to work with you.

With one exception, the only disadvantages of the game are very subjective--you the reader may well see them as advantages! For me personally, these are: the level one start, the lack of mechanical options, the low-magic nature of the setting, and the focus on a more political and realistic game rather than old-school dungeon-crawling. I do, however, feel the need to say that I left this game years ago due to a DM taking out his and his girlfriend's personal disagreements with me on my character. My understanding is that they themselves were also removed from the game not long after, but in the interests of fairness I feel that honesty is the best policy.

Anyway, in summation: this is an old, old game with all that comes with it, including a well-established world, reliable DMs, and a strong sense of roleplay and community. I did have some negative experiences with it and I'm still not sure it's entirely my personal cup of tea, but if you're a fan of Arthurian-style worldbuilding then I highly recommend it.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:59 PM
Evily Adorable

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3270
Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor
Name: Oswald Thortin James

Race: Human

Class: Cleric

Alignment: LN

Appearance:
Oswald is a tall and striking young man with quaffed raven hued hair and bright but crisp green eyes, like emeralds. His face is quite symmetrical, save a slight scar running down his right cheek. His athletic form is wrapped in leather trousers with sturdy boots and a coat of mail adorned with the unmistakable symbol of Saint Cuthbert.

Personality:
Oswald, or Oz, is a typical young man. He is both good natured and optimistic, although he is quiet and slightly introverted. Oz is also cautious, but has found himself taking more, albeit small, risks in recent years hoping to shed the small town farmer he grew up learning to be. He remains through all unwavering in his zeal and devotion to the deity that is the reason for his mother's continued life after a perilous attack from a band of orc.

Background:
Oswald comes from a farming family that owns a hectare split between an orchard of apples and wheat with a small plot reserved just for their own produce needs. The second son, he was not required take over the farm and the family's interest in producing cider. His parents were always kind and supportive of their children, the only thing he didn't agree with was their decision to offer his younger sister's hand to a farmer for his son for the sole reason their plot was adjacent. The son she was offered to was always callus to himself and his sister. As he grew older, the orc raids became more prevalent, and his father was mortally wounded defending the children. A passing cleric of The Great Saint was the only thing that saved Oswald's brother and mother. It was this that gave Oswald a reason to find his current calling, and when he became of age he set out for the closest large town to his farm along the sea. He found himself in a string of interesting misadventures, but managed to make friends with some of the local dock workers and took the recent opportunity to strike it out on one of the ships setting sail.

Last edited by Hextor; 06-13-2018 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Setting Update
Old 06-06-2018, 07:15 PM
Procrastinator

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 314
Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon Gibbon
Hello Tsuyo, long time! Good to hear from you again!

As one of the DMs from back in the day, I can agree with everything Tsuyoshikentsu says - even the disadvantages, because as Tsu says it's a subjective view and for me those are in fact advantages. Well, apart from the DM disagreement part, obviously. But that was a long time ago and with different folks who aren't around any more. Also, right now we are starting again slowly - only Rasgorn is DMing right now.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:54 PM
Oriana 🌸 Oleander

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1363
ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz ArcaneJazz
"Arthurian-style worldbuilding" is the phrase that officially got me thinking. I like this, and want to know more about all this lore.

Questions! Are these the only races of the lands? Six Human Ethnicities, High Elves and Wood Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings, Tieflings and fey? It seems like you are trying to keep this as close to core d&d aesthetic as possible, is this true?

I have a couple concepts that I'd like to try, one involving either a wizard, rogue, or bard all playing on high Int, mostly skills based. I like the idea of being way too smart for the time period, trapped in a pre-science setting, kinda like Lucca from Chrono Trigger. Factotum would also be fun to try out if you would allow it, or maybe artificer if the setting has a place for that? It's that or I'd like to play a crossbow master, or some other kind of exotic weapon master.

I tend to play dwarves, are they just doin' normal dwarf stuff in this setting? Digging holes and waging war with the underworld?

Also, what of the gods? You mention druids and templars, so how prevalent is divine magic in the civilized lands?
What are my options, when all my ambitions fail?

Last edited by ArcaneJazz; 06-06-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1227
RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild
Is this still open to applicants?